PDA

View Full Version : Error Code Check Engine....not happy

sting1373
10-30-2014, 03:52 PM
So I've been reading about this P1614 code and am started to get to my wits end on this code. It's been 3 months now and have had nothing but problems that take time to fix. A month ago I drove up to the local grocery store just to grab some milk only to walk back out to the spyder that errored this code. This problem left me stranded only 10 mins from home but no way to get this bike home. They opened a case and updated something about TPS after the part came in. Here we are another month later and that code popped up again leaving me stuck 1 hour away from home. It would get into gear but only go like 5 mph and wasn't enough to get home. Turned off the bike for about 15 mins just to test it again and the check engine light was on along w/ this code. The only difference this time was that it actually gave me power to drive as usual. Of course I had to stare at the orange check engine screen the entire way home but now it sits in my garage. Yes I've contacted the dealer again and they are wanting to open another case with BRP to fix again. Right now, we are getting close to the Texas lemon laws and was curious if anyone else has gone thru this same situation.

I've searched the forums about this but it seems to be old posts but nothing recent from what I could find.

2013 ST-S w/ 4500 miles :mad:

Magdave
10-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Sounds like you need a new Throttle Body.:dontknow::dontknow: If it is a 2013 the recall was supposed to fix that.

ARtraveler
10-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Sounds like you need a new Throttle Body.:dontknow::dontknow: If it is a 2013 the recall was supposed to fix that.

Profile says 2013 ST-S

Dealer may be uninformed about the recall/fix

Pennyrick
10-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Profile says 2013 ST-S

Dealer may be uninformed about the recall/fix

There is also a new throttle body firmware upgrade that was released on October 6th, 2014. It is not a recall, nor is it mandatory but it may be worth having your dealer update the BUDS to get it loaded.

sting1373
10-31-2014, 09:50 AM
I started it up last night and drove like nothing was wrong with it yet the check engine light was still on and code is still there. The dealer has me coming in tomorrow but I'll mention the firmware update to them.

Thanks for the update so hopefully this gets cleared up fast. We have a few events coming up so the bike is needed soon.

spyderbirds
11-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I started it up last night and drove like nothing was wrong with it yet the check engine light was still on and code is still there. The dealer has me coming in tomorrow but I'll mention the firmware update to them.

Thanks for the update so hopefully this gets cleared up fast. We have a few events coming up so the bike is needed soon.

Let us know what they find or do to resolve it.

Bob Denman
11-04-2014, 12:07 PM
The throttle bodies are acting up; tell the dealer to replace them!

Colin
11-04-2014, 05:59 PM
You may not necessarily need to replace the throttle body, I had a similar problem, and it turned out one of
the butterflies in the throttle body was almost permanently closed, it made it idle erratically or not at all, and
after a while it would give me the Orange Check Engine Screen. Once my dealer got it sorted I have had no issues
at all.

Bob Denman
11-04-2014, 06:21 PM
If it's still under warranty; have them replace the unit; experiences in here have shown that once they act up; they're done for! :shocked:

sting1373
11-05-2014, 10:01 AM
So I brought it into the shop but drove the whole way there with no throttle problems just the large check engine error on the screen. Once I got there, the dealer went to move it to the garage only to have no throttle response when we started it up. After pushing it into the garage, they updated the firmware with the latest version and the error still exists. They said the TPS was replaced 2 months ago so it shouldn't be the problem but they are still trying to figure it out.

Still another sad day for me. On the upside, this makes error number 2 under 12k miles so if this error code happens again, I'll file a claim to have the bike replaced.

Magdave
11-05-2014, 10:46 AM
The throttle bodies are acting up; tell the dealer to replace them!

:agree:
There is no lifespan on these some last forever others not.

ulflyer
11-05-2014, 03:21 PM
There is also a new throttle body firmware upgrade that was released on October 6th, 2014. It is not a recall, nor is it mandatory but it may be worth having your dealer update the BUDS to get it loaded.

What years does the upgrade cover?

sting1373
11-10-2014, 11:23 AM
10 days in and they fixed/cleared the throttle issue but now there is a problem with the starter. They are showing no power when attempting to push the starter. So they told me that they replaced the electronic starter on it, rplaced the wiring and still nothing. They filed a claim with BRP again about this issue... Only 2 payments into the bike and have only owned it for 3 months.

As for the upgrade, for Texas here is the info.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law

Now if you read the 30 day test rule, I'm actually almost passed that point. The first 2 repairs took 2 weeks and now we are 10 days in with no rental provided. Basically they have another 5 days but I'm not sure the throttle or starter is a serious/hazardous safety issue.

I'll be calling BRP today to explain

sting1373
11-10-2014, 11:28 AM
10 days in and they fixed/cleared the throttle issue but now there is a problem with the starter. They are showing no power when attempting to push the starter. So they told me that they replaced the electronic starter on it, replaced the wiring and still nothing. They filed a claim with BRP again about this new issue..... Only 2 payments into the bike and have only owned it for 3 months....:mad:

As for the upgrade for Texas here is the info.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law

Now if you read the 30 day test rule, I'm actually almost passed that point. The first 2 repairs took 2 weeks and now we are 10 days in with no rental provided. Basically they have another 5 days but I'm not sure the throttle or starter is a serious/hazardous safety issue.

I'll be calling BRP today to explain.

sting1373
11-25-2014, 05:11 PM
22 days later and I get the spyder back. Apparently there was an electrical problem near the kill switch. The guy said they had to test every wire on the bike to locate where the problem was but after completing the check, one of the kill switch wires was pinched causing it to think the switch was in the on position. They had to replace the entire assembly and wiring harness but now it works with no further problems (at least today). I made them do the 5k break in and they paid for it so just that saved me $500. Either way the file was already sent to the state so we will see how long the state takes care if the replacement.

Bob Denman
11-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Glad to hear that your dealer stuck with it, and found the problem! :thumbup:
Good Luck; here's to hoping that it is completely solved! :cheers: