PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems - 2010 RT SM5

YNUT
10-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Went to take a ride on Saturday......turned key,pushed the mode button, then hit starter button. Just a click...sounded down below the seat. All of the dash, lights, horn, radio working fine. Checked voltage on jumper terminals and it was at 12.8 v. Put a charger on auto charge mode over night.....display tells me the battery is fully charged. Tried to start again, same click and a bunch of stripes showed up on the display.
Here is my question: Does the starting circuit go through a solenoid or is all of it mounted on the actual starter? I am feeling that maybe I have a loose connection in the starter circuit. Before I tear a bunch of tupperware off, is the starter accessable from underneath? Any other suggestions? 2010 RT SM5.:banghead:

happyspyder2039
10-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Went to take a ride on Saturday......turned key,pushed the mode button, then hit starter button. Just a click...sounded down below the seat. All of the dash, lights, horn, radio working fine. Checked voltage on jumper terminals and it was at 12.8 v. Put a charger on auto charge mode over night.....display tells me the battery is fully charged. Tried to start again, same click and a bunch of stripes showed up on the display.
Here is my question: Does the starting circuit go through a solenoid or is all of it mounted on the actual starter? I am feeling that maybe I have a loose connection in the starter circuit. Before I tear a bunch of tupperware off, is the starter accessable from underneath? Any other suggestions? 2010 RT SM5.:banghead:Kill Switch?

cougar
10-27-2014, 07:44 PM
I am having same problem. Left key on for a couple of days. My bad. Had motorcycle battery charged overnight (3 months old). Battery voltage around 12.8. Everything powers up when key is switched on. Bike is in neutral (SE5). Flip kill switch to run position. Press brake as well. Press start button. Relay clicks continuously next to the battery. Bike does not start. Bike will not jump start with battery cables to my truck. Just clicking. Put another 12V battery in place of motorcycle battery same results. Briefly jumper the connections on the relay next to the battery and starter runs. My conclusion is the starter relay next to the battery is bad. Any other possibilities?

Silvervette05
10-27-2014, 08:34 PM
I am having same problem. Left key on for a couple of days. My bad. Had motorcycle battery charged overnight (3 months old). Battery voltage around 12.8. Everything powers up when key is switched on. Bike is in neutral (SE5). Flip on kill switch. Press brake as well. Press start button. Relay clicks continuously next to the battery. Bike does not start. Bike will not jump start with battery cables to my truck. Just clicking. Put another 12V battery in place of motorcycle battery same results. Briefly jumper the connections on the relay next to the battery and starter runs. My conclusion is the starter relay next to the battery is bad. Any other possibilities?

Flip kill switch off

Chupaca
10-27-2014, 08:42 PM
there have been some incidents where the magnets on the starter have come loose. Some have pulled the starter apart re cemented the magnets and all was well again....:gaah:

cougar
10-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Does the starter relay next to the battery operate off voltage or amps?

cougar
10-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Problem solved. Bike now starts. Turns out it was a connection. The Spyder is so damn sensitive when it comes to connections. I cleaned all connections with a wire brush attachment on my Dremel and the bike started. I had to stand on my left leg, close my right eye, cross my fingers on one hand, stick my tongue out of the left side of my mouth and fart before I hit the start button. Damn I hate electrical systems. Fired right up.

ARtraveler
10-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Glad to hear you got it fired up. :thumbup:

YNUT
10-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Bump from the original poster.....my still won't start.....and more idea's?

Bob Denman
10-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Problem solved. Bike now starts. Turns out it was a connection. The Spyder is so damn sensitive when it comes to connections. I cleaned all connections with a wire brush attachment on my Dremel and the bike started. I had to stand on my left leg, close my right eye, cross my fingers on one hand, stick my tongue out of the left side of my mouth and fart before I hit the start button. Damn I hate electrical systems. Fired right up.
By any chance; did you get a video of your start-up sequence? :D :clap:

jerpinoy
10-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Electrical systems are here to stay.

Rd_Runner
10-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Bump from the original poster.....my still won't start.....and more idea's?

Just because you measure a good voltage with the key on does not guarantee it will start your bike.
To start, the bike electronics (ECM, starter etc.) the battery must provide a minimum amount of voltage while supply the FULL current draw.
In other words, to start any modern motor, the battery must supply both voltage AND current.

The key way to test your bike is to measure the voltage drop while cranking the starter.
If the voltage stays at or above the minimum voltage (check the service manual) while cranking
but, the bike still doesn't start, then there is a very high probability the problem is with the ignition or fuel system.

If the voltage drops below the minimum voltage then it is pretty much a guarantee you probably need to replace the battery.
Before replacing the battery carefully and thoroughly clean the battery cable ends and battery terminals. Also clean the primary ground points on the bikes frame.
Then retest.

Good luck!

- Mike

SpyderAnn01
10-28-2014, 11:00 PM

Good to know you have the start up sequence down pat. Now if you ever need to check for fault codes just remember to push the mode, set, turn signal cancel buttons while hopping on one foot and patting your stomach with your free hand. I have better results hopping on the left foot.

MarkLawson
10-29-2014, 07:52 AM

Make sure you report the gas smell to BRP and the NHTSA.

Bob Denman
10-29-2014, 12:33 PM
:shocked: I wouldn't do that; they'll likely turn you in, to the EPA! :yikes: