PDA

View Full Version : Just Had Major Scheduled Service on my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5

Knarfoh
10-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Just Had Major Scheduled Service on my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5.

I have seen this discussed previously, i.e. what does the dealer charge for the service?

Thought I would share my experience.

CLICK HERE (http://www.knarfoh.com/files/2012_CANAM_Spyder_14000_Miles+_Service_redacted.pd f) to see the detailed billing for my service.

So how does this compare to the service you receive. Notice the valves DID NOT need adjusting, but of course they don't know that until they actually take the measurements.

When I first purchased my Spyder, they said the valves should be checked and adjusted (if needed) at 6,000 miles. Then about 3 to 4 months later they issued a bulletin announcing the first valve adjustment can safely be made around 14,000 miles.

QUOTE FROM BRP WEBSITE: “Also, several inspections on high mileage engines at our test facility and in the network do confirm that the valve train adjustment intervals can be increased to 22 500 km (14,000 mi) and eliminate the inspection at 10 000 km (6,000 mi)."

Please review what I had done, etc. and comment based upon your personal experience. Anything missed?

P.S. I am very pleased with my dealership!

Trbayth
10-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Interesting comparison. While somewhat apples-to-oranges between your '12 RT and my '14 ST some of the part numbers did match. For my break-in service, the dealer charged:

$45.99 for the gallon container of oil (yours was $35.99)
$12.99 for the quart container of oil (yours was $8.99)
$13.12 for the one filter (yours was $11.81)
$7.99 for the other filter (not needed as yours is an SM; mine's an SE)
$.99 for the crush washers (yours were $.68 and $.77 I think)
$2.99 and $2.01 for the two O-rings (didn't see them on your invoice)

Trb--

Knarfoh
10-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Forgot one question - Does 50% Brake Pad Left (front and rear) at 14,300 miles Seem Reasonable?

bruiser
10-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Seems reasonable. I haven't had the valves on my '12 RTS checked yet. One dealer told me he's seen Spyders with 60,000 miles not need valves adjusted. I will change my spark plugs and wires along with the fuel and air filter.

finless
10-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Someone (forget who) just posted last week they had thier 14K service and the valves did need adjusting!

Bob

finless
10-27-2014, 11:44 AM
FYI I was quoted by a few dealers in my area that the 14K service would be about $1,000. So you got a great deal in mu opinion!

Bob

BikerDoc
10-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Forgot one question - Does 50% Brake Pad Left (front and rear) at 14,300 miles Seem Reasonable?
I am clearly not a gentle ryder since I need to replace brake pads on front every 10000 miles

bronzeflex42
10-27-2014, 01:12 PM
:shocked: I have a 2012 rt limited also. I am not looking forward to this, but i appreciate you sharing this info. I guess im going to have to get my discover card ready. Those techs show don't play around with the labor charge. whew that's a high price for service, more than the average car. These are pretty machines but they show cost to ryde them. I'm still a spyder lover. :banghead:
Just Had Major Scheduled Service on my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5.

I have seen this discussed previously, i.e. what does the dealer charge for the service?

Thought I would share my experience.

CLICK HERE (http://www.knarfoh.com/files/2012_CANAM_Spyder_14000_Miles+_Service_redacted.pd f) to see the detailed billing for my service.

So how does this compare to the service you receive. Notice the valves DID NOT need adjusting, but of course they don't know that until they actually take the measurements.

When I first purchased my Spyder, they said the valves should be checked and adjusted (if needed) at 6,000 miles. Then about 3 to 4 months later they issued a bulletin announcing the first valve adjustment can safely be made around 14,000 miles.

QUOTE FROM BRP WEBSITE: “Also, several inspections on high mileage engines at our test facility and in the network do confirm that the valve train adjustment intervals can be increased to 22 500 km (14,000 mi) and eliminate the inspection at 10 000 km (6,000 mi)."

Please review what I had done, etc. and comment based upon your personal experience. Anything missed?

P.S. I am very pleased with my dealership!

Knarfoh
10-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Those techs sure don't play around with the labor charge. whew that's a high price for service, more than the average car.
In the Columbus, Ohio market - motorcycle dealers and boat dealers have always been more then car dealers when it comes to service, a lot more!

I am clearly not a gentle ryder since I need to replace brake pads on front every 10000 miles
Thanks for the info !! My tires seem to last a lot longer then people claim on here too. I am pretty gentle so that must make the difference?

FYI I was quoted by a few dealers in my area that the 14K service would be about $1,000. So you got a great deal in my opinion!
That's what I was hearing too so I was pleasantly surprised! Weird to spend $600 on routine service and be happy?

Woodsrider
10-28-2014, 01:35 PM
In the Columbus, Ohio market - motorcycle dealers and boat dealers have always been more then car dealers when it comes to service, a lot more!

Thanks for the info !! My tires seem to last a lot longer then people claim on here too. I am pretty gentle so that must make the difference?

That's what I was hearing too so I was pleasantly surprised! Weird to spend $600 on routine service and be happy?

Nice pricing on that service. I'd call it a deal and be smilin the whole way home.

ghostspyder11
10-28-2014, 01:55 PM
I will be bringing in my 2011 RT LTD next month for it's 28,000 mile check up. Talked to the dealer and he said it should be around $800. 00 for this check up. It's just like the check up they do for the 14,000 mile.