PDA

View Full Version : Dipstick Part Number?

Trbayth
10-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Like others I cross-threaded the oil dipstick on my 2014 STL. Does anyone know the part number offhand so I can replace it? I'm able to thread it correctly by being extra careful but it still pisses me off that I did it.

Trb--

billybovine
10-26-2014, 12:25 PM
dipstick part number 519000155

jcthorne
10-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Sure wish one of our very smart aftermarket vendors would design and sell a better replacement dipstick.

There is NO REASON it needs to be so diffecult to thread into the opening and cause the cross thread. The problem is a simple design error in the stick. There is no pilot boss below the threads to line up the hole and threads. 3/8 of an inch of untreaded plastic below the threads the diameter of the root of the threads would make for a dipstick everyone could drop in and twist in easy. First try every time. its simple thread design 101 and the dipstick is just not right.

So, any vendors or machinists up for a project? I know I would buy one that actually worked.

While on the design board, two small holes in the lower part of the stick, one at min and one at max would allow you to read the level MUCH more easily. Simple go/no go reading.

JThornton, you listening? This one has you all over it.:bowdown:

Trbayth
10-26-2014, 02:39 PM
While on the design board, two small holes in the lower part of the stick, one at min and one at max would allow you to read the level MUCH more easily. Simple go/no go reading.

A minute or two with a Dremel and a small bit should solve this problem, wouldn't it?

Trb--

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Sure wish one of our very smart aftermarket vendors would design and sell a better replacement dipstick.

There is NO REASON it needs to be so diffecult to thread into the opening and cause the cross thread. The problem is a simple design error in the stick. There is no pilot boss below the threads to line up the hole and threads. 3/8 of an inch of untreaded plastic below the threads the diameter of the root of the threads would make for a dipstick everyone could drop in and twist in easy. First try every time. its simple thread design 101 and the dipstick is just not right.

So, any vendors or machinists up for a project? I know I would buy one that actually worked.

JThornton, you listening? This one has you all over it.:bowdown:
:yes:......Actually a vendor here ( JThornton ) did make a BETA model ....I don't know if He is selling them tho...................I created a " THREADLESS " dipstick ( Bob Denman had one ) that I made from from some pieces of wood DOWEL of the appropriate size ( for the threaded hole ) ( it has to match so it goes in straight ).......Mine was only to be used to check for HOW much oil you had in the reservoir.........You still needed the OEM stick to seal the top...........just a thought................Mike :thumbup:

Dragonfly
10-26-2014, 04:51 PM
A sightglass in the tank would even be better :clap::clap:

Or this is even better http://www.gaslock.de/basisprodukte-en-us/oelmessstab-en-us/

jcthorne
10-26-2014, 05:42 PM
A minute or two with a Dremel and a small bit should solve this problem, wouldn't it?

Trb--

That was actually my first thought, but after looking it over a bit, you need at least 2 threads width of pilot boss, remove 2 threads and there does not leave enough to keep the reservoir sealed. There is less than one diameter of threads already which is about the minimum for plastic parts.

Trbayth
10-26-2014, 05:44 PM
That was actually my first thought, but after looking it over a bit, you need at least 2 threads width of pilot boss, remove 2 threads and there does not leave enough to keep the reservoir sealed. There is less than one diameter of threads already which is about the minimum for plastic parts.

Actually I was talking about the holes for a quick go-no go view.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Farmbanker
10-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Why wouldn't they do a sight glass. My 1985 Yamaha has one..... [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jcthorne
10-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Actually I was talking about the holes for a quick go-no go view.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Oh, yea. Already did that with a small drill bit. Thanks. :opps: