PDA

View Full Version : WIND???

tatt2r
10-16-2008, 12:42 PM
has anyone noticed that a some of mods (lg windshields and saddle bags) seam to effect riding at high speeds...windshield i wont even bring u again ... but i bought a set of nelson rigg bags and all though i only bought them for long trips i put them on bike to see how they would perform under high speed driving ... i noticed i can feel drag at around 60-70 maybe its just me but has anyone else had this problem ... i know its not in my head i can feel difference i know a lot of you have done these modifications just seeing your opinion ...

Greg H.
10-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Good post, Tattoo Dude! :)
Since, those are the type of bags that I plan to get, I am interested in your feedback, for sure. It would seem to me that the $1700 Corbin hard bags would have the same effect, as well. I know they are more streamlined. But, I bet the effect is quite similar.

tatt2r
10-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Since, those are the type of bags that I plan to get, I am interested in your feedback, for sure. It would seem to me that the $1700 Corbin hard bags would have the same effect, as well. I know they are more streamlined. But, I bet the effect is quite similar.

the bags werent as bad as the windshield but i could feel the difference

zzneonzz
10-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Yea i would imagine the windshield would cause some serious drag...that is one reason i don't want to add a larger one. I'm actually thinking of going smaller with the Sport.

I am wanting to get some of these bags though for long trips

BRPjunkie
10-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I have the Nelson Rigg Silver Streak mini sport bags and I can't tell any difference with them on or off. Of course they are on the small side and would not have the same effect as larger ones.

Greg H.
10-16-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm actually thinking of going smaller with the Sport.

I am wanting to get some of these bags though for long trips

Cool! Maybe you and I can do a group buy, Tim! :yes: We want the same stuff! :clap: :cheers:

Saluda
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
I've noticed it with my windshield and my GIVI's. I guess anything that increases surface area can create drag and resistance. Still prefer them on rather than off. Everything is a trade of some kind.

NancysToy
10-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Anything that increases the frontal area, or even the rear area, will increase the drag. That applies to fairings, windshields, bags, and topcases. Some are more aerodynamic than others, so it is not strictly a function of size, but very few accessories are designed to improve the aerodynamics of the entire vehicle (like a road race fairing on a bike) so there will usually be an overall increase in the amount of drag. Some items, in combination with some vehicles, will make things so squirrely that handling is affected. It is a personal choice, and usually a trade off. Decide what your needs and desires are, and go from there, keeping in mind there is no free lunch.
-Scotty

Roaddog2
10-16-2008, 03:54 PM
:agree: Big Time
Anything that increases the frontal area, or even the rear area, will increase the drag. That applies to fairings, windshields, bags, and topcases. Some are more aerodynamic than others, so it is not strictly a function of size, but very few accessories are designed to improve the aerodynamics of the entire vehicle (like a road race fairing on a bike) so there will usually be an overall increase in the amount of drag. Some items, in combination with some vehicles, will make things so squirrely that handling is affected. It is a personal choice, and usually a trade off. Decide what your needs and desires are, and go from there, keeping in mind there is no free lunch.
-Scotty

tatt2r
10-16-2008, 04:11 PM
thank you too all, anything (except law enforcement) that slows it down stays off ... unless going on trip i'll strap bags on ... my opinion

bjt
10-16-2008, 05:56 PM

I bet that looking streamlined and actually being streamlined are two different things as far as they are concerned. They are pretty big so they must affect the Spyders wind performance.

I can feel the wind resistance effects of my slider windshield or my EVO II windshield for sure. My GIVI bags, while I'm sure they do affect the Spyder in the wind, aren't as noticable.

Smylinacha
10-16-2008, 07:55 PM
has anyone noticed that a some of mods (lg windshields and saddle bags) seam to effect riding at high speeds...windshield i wont even bring u again ... but i bought a set of nelson rigg bags and all though i only bought them for long trips i put them on bike to see how they would perform under high speed driving ... i noticed i can feel drag at around 60-70 maybe its just me but has anyone else had this problem ... i know its not in my head i can feel difference i know a lot of you have done these modifications just seeing your opinion ...

I actually like being in the wind so I kept the stocker shield on. I put their touring shield on but didn't like the looks. I get more wind on this than my softail and I like it that way :thumbup: Highway beats me up a little but there are always rest breaks!

GeminiJane
10-16-2008, 09:10 PM
I actually like being in the wind

I'm with you - I don't really feel any "buffet-ing" - it's stable, just the feel of the wind against me. 'Course the fact that we're about a foot shorter than a bunch of these guys might make it a little less of an issue:cheers:. Trying to convince the husband that any money I save him on that upgrade should be added to my riding wardrobe $$'s :D.

Smylinacha
10-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm with you - I don't really feel any "buffet-ing" - it's stable, just the feel of the wind against me. 'Course the fact that we're about a foot shorter than a bunch of these guys might make it a little less of an issue:cheers:. Trying to convince the husband that any money I save him on that upgrade should be added to my riding wardrobe $$'s :D.

You got a point there about us being shorter. And I'll definitely :cheers: to that about the riding wardrobe! HDX got me two Can Am shirts - I love them - I want more of them!:2thumbs:

NancysToy
10-17-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm with you - I don't really feel any "buffet-ing" - it's stable, just the feel of the wind against me. 'Course the fact that we're about a foot shorter than a bunch of these guys might make it a little less of an issue.
I'll second the notion about no buffeting. I am six feet, and the wind is steady with the stock shield. A lot of it comes around the stock shield, cowl, and body, and hits low. Still plenty windy for a geezer that likes to turn on the heated grips, hide behind the electric windshield and fairing on his BMW, and hit the highway. I would mind less if a lot of that steady wind didn't come right in the bottom of my helmet, even with the chin skirt on it. Still, no changes planned for the now, after seven months of riding. The Spyder is better than our naked bikes by far. Doesn't try to suck the helmet right off my head like some.
-Scotty

DragonSpyder
10-17-2008, 09:10 AM
While I'm sure there is drag with the windshield the wind would be hitting the rider without it. In my case I don't think that would improve the drag much. I did remove my windshield and it is much more difficult to hang on. With the Calsci windshield it does throw the Spyder around more, without it the rider gets thrown around.

Greg H.
10-17-2008, 09:22 AM
I'll be getting either the Nelson Rigg, or Cortech soft bags for trips. But, they won't be on the Spyder except during those times.

SpyderBen
01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Just recently purchased my RT.

Question:

Are there any adjustments that can be made to a RT to control the wind handling. If I am riding in a crosswind of 15 MPH or higher, it feels like I am on a pair of water skis, from about 30mph and higher. ex. increase front air pressure, tighten shocks,????? anything.

NancysToy
01-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Question:

Are there any adjustments that can be made to a RT to control the wind handling. If I am riding in a crosswind of 15 MPH or higher, it feels like I am on a pair of water skis, from about 30mph and higher. ex. increase front air pressure, tighten shocks,????? anything.
Try 16-20 psi of pressure in the front tires, and jacking up the front preload adjusters a notch or two. Experiment a bit. I prefered 17-18 in the tires and the shocks set at 5 (highest). Be sure to jack up the Spyder and lubricate the shock adjusters with WD-40 before you change the preload setting. It may also help to concentrate on loosening your grip and not overcorrecting. In the end, a sway bar or aftermarket shocks may suit your needs better. It is something you have to get used to on any motorcycle...and particularly on the Spyder RT. If your Spyder is also unpredictable on bumps, and seems to hunt going down the road without the wind, you may need a toe-in adjustment.

GeminiJane
01-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't ride a RT - just a RS with stock shield, but I'm going to suggest that some of the feeling you are experiencing isn't so much wind buffeting from the windshield but actually transference of motion from your shoulders/arms down into the handlebar input. I don't know how much riding experience you've had in the past, but it takes a couple of hundred miles (+/-) to realize that you need to totally relax your arms/shoulders and only barely hold the grips to drive. Any tension (or wind) hitting your upper body travels right down into the bars and gives you that "riding on ice" sort of feeling.
(Just posted this while Nancy's Toy was posting - same suggestion, but easier said than done sometimes!)

boborgera
01-09-2011, 09:33 PM

Question:

Lossen your grip a little on the bars ' I'm willing to bet your not being blown around as much as you think.
With two wheels in front and one in back you have the tail wagging the dog affect. Nature of the beast.
After enough miles under your belt you won't notice it any more.

Lamonster
01-09-2011, 09:55 PM
:agree:

IWN2RYD
01-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Sorry.. I have to say.... This MUST be a record of some kind.. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay old thread :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

GeminiJane
01-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Sorry.. I have to say.... This MUST be a record of some kind.. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay old thread :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

True...but new person questioning sooooo, nice people that SPyderlovers are, we all give him the benefit of our own experience. welcome

boborgera
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM
True...but new person questioning sooooo, nice people that SPyderlovers are, we all give him the benefit of our own experience. welcome
:agree:Whats old for some, is new to others;
That's what keeps this forum interesting.:yes::yes:

NancysToy
01-10-2011, 05:02 PM
+1 No need to be Internet snobs. A helping hand is always welcome!

IWN2RYD
01-10-2011, 06:01 PM
hahaha I meant it in a good way of course... Not snobby trust me... :opps::ohyea: :p

Raptor
01-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Drag and cross-sectional area are much bigger factors when it comes to handling characteristics in wind than I ever anticipated. Scotty is right about playing with air pressures and there is a fine line even to that. You want to have good enough pressure to produce a nice roll but not so much as to have the bike "skate" in the wind. I'm STILL playing around with them!

Windshields are extremely sensitive to this as well. Even your body produces tremendous drag, especially at High speed. I'll be going at about 90 in normal position and when I tuck I'm at a buck almost immediately. Of course, I have what can only be described as a larger body than many! :roflblack:

Arm tension is key as well. By relaxing, not only is feel improved but it takes alot of stress and fatigue away from the rider as well, so you can go longer and be more comfortable. These spyders are extremely stable and don't need tons of input to ride effectively. I change lanes on the freeway now with no input to the bars at all. Actually, that is fun to do, especially at speed!

jeuchler
01-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Yeah, um...it wasn't the bags, Reverend.

(How many swords did you have in them?!) :yikes:

http://opp-m.com/2/4/4/1244/assets/IP3J2MBN.jpg

bruiser
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Drag and cross-sectional area are much bigger factors when it comes to handling characteristics in wind than I ever anticipated. Scotty is right about playing with air pressures and there is a fine line even to that. You want to have good enough pressure to produce a nice roll but not so much as to have the bike "skate" in the wind. I'm STILL playing around with them!

Windshields are extremely sensitive to this as well. Even your body produces tremendous drag, especially at High speed. I'll be going at about 90 in normal position and when I tuck I'm at a buck almost immediately. Of course, I have what can only be described as a larger body than many! :roflblack:

Arm tension is key as well. By relaxing, not only is feel improved but it takes alot of stress and fatigue away from the rider as well, so you can go longer and be more comfortable. These spyders are extremely stable and don't need tons of input to ride effectively. I change lanes on the freeway now with no input to the bars at all. Actually, that is fun to do, especially at speed!

At 5'7" and 240, yeah, I'm kinda large too. :roflblack::roflblack: :spyder2: see's me coming geared to ryde and just groans.

altonk
01-10-2011, 09:05 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/ad497ba8-ba46-47df.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/ad497ba8-ba62-88c9.jpg
http://184.72.239.143/mu/ad497ba8-ba7f-9d80.jpg

I took the windshield down to nothing
And put a big dragey wind out back to push down
I bought mine to be in the airstream

altonk
01-10-2011, 09:10 PM
If you don't tuck in your chest produces some lift and there's not as much weight on your arms
But I ride a lot lower and forward than most

Raptor
01-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Dude, I am STILL likin' that wing! Any news on the new one? If remember correctly you were designing a new one...

altonk
01-11-2011, 05:06 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/4453dee3-d3de-8c0e.jpg
This is the new one

The angle of attack is self adjusting
It uses the torsion of the wing structure as a spring to adjust wing angle

Raptor
01-11-2011, 05:25 PM
That is Swwwwwwweet!! :clap: Very nice job! I like this wing much better than the first generation wing. I bet when you get to speed you can feel the whole chassis squat down! That would serve you well in almost any wind or aero related condition.

Might hurt your top-end just a touch but with the turbo I don't think that is much of an issue anymore either! :D In fact you can put more of that power to the road now. Very cool!

tatt2r
01-11-2011, 05:28 PM
i feel old ...i posted this over 2 years ago ....:gaah::gaah::gaah:

Yazz
01-11-2011, 08:08 PM

True. But we did get to see Altonk's new wing... :2thumbs:

Raptor
01-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Not old, just experienced! You Sir are a vetreran Spyder Rider and member and therefore command much respect. :bowdown: Besides, a good thread never gets old!

NancysToy
01-11-2011, 10:32 PM
It's not the age...it's the mileage!