PDA

View Full Version : Spyder and Parallel Steering?

dsoileau
10-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Would someone tell me why the Spyder was not designed to lean? Is parallel suspension less stable or is it simply too difficult to engineer. I'm referring to the type on some that do:

Showie
10-25-2014, 01:06 AM
The picture is of a Piaggio, the company that makes Vespa and I think Ducati (not sure). I had a 250cc put about 6,000 miles on and now have a 2010 500cc with 8,000 miles on it in my garage which I ride very seldom now. I do like the way they lean. Can actually go past 45 degrees because of articulating parallelogram front wheels. Basically can lean and one wheel can move forward or back dependent on direction of corner and the amount of lean. The one big thing is that the wheels don't lock in a set position except at very low speeds, which I didn't use except to park or push around, so it will fall over if not locked. If wheels are locked and the bike is leaning it will drift in that direction. Riders with physical problems or not comfortable putting a leg down this probably isn't the cycle for them. Not comfortable 2 up for long distances. Piaggio is a turn and go no shifting, 3 disc brakes (stops on a dime), gets 65+ mpg 250 and 50+ mpg 500 the way I rode, slow getting up to speed but will do highway speeds. Piaggio is a great bike BUT it is not a Spyder! Just as a Spyder is not a 2 wheeler or a trike. My question is --- why is it so important for the front wheels to lean? Don't get me wrong I like the feel of rounding a corner with kick stand dragging (Piaggio does easily) as the next guy. Maybe the question is why doesn't BRP make a snowmobile that leans? I was at Oyster Run, Anacortes, WA. this year and the was a company there that had a Honda and a Harley 2 front wheel conversion there. About 10,000 grand. Didn't ride but he was riding around and I must say they looked a little squirrelly to me.

Love my Spyder for all the reasons Spyder Riders most do. :yes::yes:So what!! It doesn't lean and I don't care!!

dsoileau
10-25-2014, 08:23 AM
The picture is of a Piaggio, the company that makes Vespa and I think Ducati (not sure). I had a 250cc put about 6,000 miles on and now have a 2010 500cc with 8,000 miles on it in my garage which I ride very seldom now. I do like the way they lean. Can actually go past 45 degrees because of articulating parallelogram front wheels. Basically can lean and one wheel can move forward or back dependent on direction of corner and the amount of lean. The one big thing is that the wheels don't lock in a set position except at very low speeds, which I didn't use except to park or push around, so it will fall over if not locked. If wheels are locked and the bike is leaning it will drift in that direction. Riders with physical problems or not comfortable putting a leg down this probably isn't the cycle for them. Not comfortable 2 up for long distances. Piaggio is a turn and go no shifting, 3 disc brakes (stops on a dime), gets 65+ mpg 250 and 50+ mpg 500 the way I rode, slow getting up to speed but will do highway speeds. Piaggio is a great bike BUT it is not a Spyder! Just as a Spyder is not a 2 wheeler or a trike. My question is --- why is it so important for the front wheels to lean? Don't get me wrong I like the feel of rounding a corner with kick stand dragging (Piaggio does easily) as the next guy. Maybe the question is why doesn't BRP make a snowmobile that leans? I was at Oyster Run, Anacortes, WA. this year and the was a company there that had a Honda and a Harley 2 front wheel conversion there. About 10,000 grand. Didn't ride but he was riding around and I must say they looked a little squirrelly to me.

Love my Spyder for all the reasons Spyder Riders most do. :yes::yes:So what!! It doesn't lean and I don't care!!

Thank you for that well stated reply. As a new Spyder owner I'm just beginning to get the feel for the way she moves. And I've ridden other motorcycles of varying sizes (250 to 1800cc) enough to have learned to appreciate the momentum shift when "opening the hinge" for turning. Because the Spyder barely produces that sensation, I've become aware of how much more an upper body experience it is for me. Even pushing the handlebars to initiate turns, instead of pulling, doesn't reduce the amount of body lean required when turning. So, I'd begun to wonder why the Spyder was not designed to absorb turning torque or to facilitate a momentum shift like motorcycles do. I saw a unique vehicle design that does this to an extreme, where the rider is practically in a gyroscope and the bike absorbs all momentum shift. That's not the riding experience I want, though, but I was intrigued by the design. The technology is out there.

I do love riding the Spyder (2k in 5 weeks), and I guess I'll have to develop more upper body strength. ;)

den1953
10-25-2014, 10:24 AM
They own several companies but not Ducati. Aprilia & Moto Guzzi are among their holdings. The MP3 scooters are available up to 500cc. They do have an Aprilia 850cc v-twin scooter with two wheels.

Chupaca
10-25-2014, 10:58 AM
they are all their own machines. Trying to make one into the other makes little sense to me just get the one you like to ryde. The spyder seems to be in the middle and used a starting point. There are a lot of cool spinoffs from it...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-25-2014, 06:08 PM
:bdh::bdh::bdh: This has been kicked around in here... Forever! :shocked:

Art Mann
10-25-2014, 07:02 PM
I would speculate that articulating the suspension so that the whole Spyder leans would add too much cost to make it competitive. Mechanical complexity also invites unreliability.

dsoileau
10-26-2014, 07:06 PM
:bdh::bdh::bdh: This has been kicked around in here... Forever! :shocked:

Dare I bring up one of the most basic necessities . . . butt comfort. ;)

SPYD3R
10-26-2014, 07:15 PM
NEITHER....
the front suspension is designed like a car, and functions like your car.... no need to 'lean'....
it's PERFECT the way it is.... imho
dp