PDA

View Full Version : Water pump oil seal failure

LJspydee
10-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Finally got caught by the water pump oil seal failure bug! Supprizing that seals for water pumps have been around for a hundred years and today one will not last for 9000 miles! In the shop and parts will take a week. Must have been their first ever failure!

Chupaca
10-24-2014, 06:05 PM
but stocking, even known failing parts, is a big problem for both dealers and brp. I now get parts from ebay and cheapcycleparts.com. Wonder why they can stock parts. :dontknow:

Netminder
10-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Happened very early on mine. Was done last year at around 4000 Kilometres.

coz
10-24-2014, 06:37 PM
curious as to what that repair costs ?

jtoro1
10-24-2014, 07:28 PM
What are the symptoms of bad seals

DrewNJ
10-24-2014, 07:31 PM

DrewNJ
10-24-2014, 07:34 PM
It happened on mine with something like 2800 miles and repaired under warranty. I'm at 10k now with no issues.

If your out of warranty and only have a little weeping I wouldn't bother with the repair. Its pretty involved.
Most of the Aprilia peeps leave it unless its really dripping good.

jerpinoy
10-24-2014, 08:16 PM
What does it take to replace such seal?

DrewNJ
10-24-2014, 08:32 PM

DrewNJ
10-24-2014, 08:36 PM

Netminder
10-24-2014, 08:40 PM
It happened on mine with something like 2800 miles and repaired under warranty. I'm at 10k now with no issues.

If your out of warranty and only have a little weeping I wouldn't bother with the repair. Its pretty involved.
Most of the Aprilia peeps leave it unless its really dripping good.
Mine was also covered on warranty, and no issues since!:thumbup:

Trbayth
10-25-2014, 07:00 AM
You will see either oil or antifreeze that drips at the right front. Along the frame rail. If you have the lower splash shield still on it will collect there first.

Hmm, I wonder if this is what my problem is? Looks right. Seems to be in the right place.

Trb--

LJspydee
10-31-2014, 10:04 AM
This is the start of week two and the dealer is still waiting for parts that are on back order from BRP. This is beginning to not be fun!!!

MouthPiece
10-31-2014, 10:55 AM
2013 RT-S, 19,000 miles. "Replaced water pump seal and oil seal and other O rings". Also Bled coolant and refilled oil. Also replaced radiator hose clamps.

(Also replaced hood button INOP....Cause 1092.

All at no charge under warranty.

Chris PS: Took about 5 days (parts shipped) to accomplish the same. Seminole Power Sports, Sanford, Flarda.

billybovine
10-31-2014, 11:32 AM
That's too bad you have to wait on parts. When mine was done I dropped it off on a Monday afternoon. They did not believe me that it was a water pump seal leak, because they had never had one before. So they did not order any parts before taking apart. It was fixed and ready to pick up Friday morning.

LJspydee
10-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Estimated to be two weeks for dealer to get a water pump oil seal from BRP!!! Think the F3 is taking priority over existing customers! Maybe a clue as to why John Deere dropped them long ago!

Spaaz9
11-01-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm supposed to get mine back today for the same issue. Although, I think they said it was the whole pump that went. Parts took 5 days to come in from BRP. All in all, my Spyder's been in the shop for 2 weeks including diagnosis and repair time. Although, I was pretty sure of what the problem was when I dropped it off. It's all covered under warranty, so even if they replaced the whole pump assembly, it's not coming out of my pocket.

billybovine
11-01-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm supposed to get mine back today for the same issue. Although, I think they said it was the whole pump that went. Parts took 5 days to come in from BRP. All in all, my Spyder's been in the shop for 2 weeks including diagnosis and repair time. Although, I was pretty sure of what the problem was when I dropped it off. It's all covered under warranty, so even if they replaced the whole pump assembly, it's not coming out of my pocket.

My mechanic said he was surprised when he reported the oil leak to BRP. They send the whole water pump assembly, not just the seals and gaskets.

gypsy_100
11-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Here is a good read. The only difference is that the new generation seals include the seals and shaft as a complete assembly. Apparently, a lot of seals were getting torn/damaged during r&r. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?34770-Water-Pump-Seals

My mechanic said he was surprised when he reported the oil leak to BRP. They send the whole water pump assembly, not just the seals and gaskets.

There are two seals involved on the water pump shaft. A conventional oil seal on the end of the shaft that goes into the engine proper. That seal comes as part of the provided parts kit but is not pre-installed on anything. The other seal at the water pump end of the shaft is a mechanical seal. Proper installation of this mechanical seal on the shaft is critical to not damaging the mechanical seal so BRP provides the seal already in place on a new water pump shaft. This shaft and seal then have to be carefully pressed into the clutch cover housing from the inside which is why the clutch cover housing has to be removed, making the job a fairly big one. The impeller just attaches to the end of the shaft so can be easily taken off the old shaft and used on the new shaft. An impeller failure is very unlikely. BRP never included an impeller in my parts kits. Maybe they do now. My shaft and seals have been replaced four times -- I think I hold the record.