PDA

View Full Version : F3 Trailer Hitch

GParch218
10-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Love the F3 in the Touring configuration but don't see anything about a hitch. Does anyone know if a hitch for the F3 is in the works? How about it Lamont, working on a F3 Hitch??

den1953
10-24-2014, 12:01 PM
I think Lamont said he's working on one in one of the other posts.

Lamonster
10-24-2014, 12:09 PM
My F3 will have a hitch. :doorag:

Magdave
10-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Will using aftermarket hitches void the warranty like BRP has stated about the RT hitches? :dontknow:

Highwayman2013
10-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Will using aftermarket hitches void the warranty like BRP has stated about the RT hitches? :dontknow:

Of course they will.

PrairieSpyder
10-24-2014, 01:18 PM

Will this be an after-market accessory you'll be selling to F3 owners?

jaherbst
10-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Love the F3 in the Touring configuration but don't see anything about a hitch. Does anyone know if a hitch for the F3 is in the works? How about it Lamont, working on a F3 Hitch??

I sat on one and talked to a regional factory rep to day because they had the new trailer there also. Said factory will not have one this year but will have one next year. I am sure it will read factory hitch is the only hitch that does not void the warranty.

Jack

Mike,P
10-24-2014, 03:52 PM
I sat on one and talked to a regional factory rep to day because they had the new trailer there also. Said factory will not have one this year but will have one next year. I am sure it will read factory hitch is the only hitch that does not void the warranty.

Jack

Makes more sense to go with the trailer for $2,900 over the WALLET sized side bags.. Looks like I'll be holding on to my 622 for awhile 😃

Charlottes Web
10-24-2014, 04:02 PM
I would like a hitch on the F3 also. I have a trailer. So a hitch would help a lot.:2thumbs::roflblack:

OJ UK
10-24-2014, 05:15 PM
I don't have a trailer....the 622 trailer is not permitted in the UK as it doesn't satisfy
certain regulatory parameters...can't remember what it failed on.....BUT

I do like the look of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65TYdHbUZ24

Very cool!

PistonBlown
10-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Took a shot of these at the Brass Monkey Rally earlier this year:

Bob Denman
10-24-2014, 06:28 PM
We already knew that! :D
the question becomes: When will the OTHER F-3s get "hitched-up"?

Mike,P
10-24-2014, 06:37 PM
I don't have a trailer....the 622 trailer is not permitted in the UK as it doesn't satisfy
certain regulatory parameters...can't remember what it failed on.....BUT

I do like the look of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65TYdHbUZ24

Very cool!

Looks like a Uni-Go trailer / they are great!!! I had one I pulled behind my 04 FJR 1300...
I didn't know they had a Spyder hitch / Something ELSE to think about... It would hold enough stuff too😎

OJ UK
10-25-2014, 06:47 AM
Looks like a Uni-Go trailer / they are great!!! I had one I pulled behind my 04 FJR 1300...
I didn't know they had a Spyder hitch / Something ELSE to think about... It would hold enough stuff too��

These are Australian made. http://madmaxtrailers.com

They come very highly recommended. If they work that well on a bike they'll be no
problem on a Spyder......might just be one of the solutions for the lack of storage space on the F3. :doorag:

FWIW These trailers have 250 liters/60kg capacity which is a lot and you can wheel them into your hotel room
as they'll go through a standard door!

Mike,P
10-25-2014, 11:31 AM

They come very highly recommended. If they work that well on a bike they'll be no
problem on a Spyder......might just be one of the solutions for the lack of storage space on the F3. :doorag:

FWIW These trailers have 250 liters/65kg capacity which is a lot.

It looks like a Uni-Go trailer but with a better/ Higher quality... Love the taillight!! What is the cost ????? It looks perfect for the F3😃

PrairieSpyder
10-25-2014, 01:22 PM
There's one in Des Moines, Iowa, that looks like the one in Jeff's link. It's $1000!

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/4699333659.html

OJ UK
10-26-2014, 06:12 AM
OK....so last night I emailed the Australian company which makes the trailer.
I got a reply this morning!
Here it is:

G'day Geoff, Delighted to hear from you mate. ^_^

At present there is only one Spyder that is set up and towing one of our trailers. The owner's name is Stephen Landman of Albury-Wodonga in Victoria, Australia. He has posted 6 demo videos of his Spyder & Mad Max Motorcycle Trailer on his YouTube Channel. (Which is the video above....OJ)

Stephen had his guys create the Spyder subframe mounted towbar that you see him using.

Personally, I strongly-favour the development and use of a Swingarm-axle area mounted towbar, which pivots vertically there, on bushes on a Rod that passes through the Spyder's hollow axle. A twin spar towbar will pass around the Spyder's rear wheel, and will feature a horizontal pivot at its rear centre area. This system is currently already being successfully used by two other single wheeled trailer manufacturers.

Price wise we are planning to keep our trailer's retail price down under AUD$3000. Freight and handling will be an additional amount.

Very impressed with the response time, bearing in mind that he replied on a Sunday!
I've always liked the way the Aussies run their businesses. Great service and no BS!
You ask for the price and they tell you.....without inventing an artificially low price to which extras must be added as is the case so often elsewhere.

Anyway, there you have it and I think it's a cracking trailer. Good capacity, very well made, and can be wheeled into your motel room when you're
touring! :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
10-26-2014, 07:04 AM
OK....so last night I emailed the Australian company which makes the trailer.
I got a reply this morning!
Here it is:
. . . our trailer's retail price down under AUD$3000.
. . . :thumbup:

Cute! I wonder if he realized his pun?

OJ UK
10-26-2014, 07:33 AM
I was so intent on getting the info to this site that I didn't notice David's unintended pun!
Well spotted, Patti!!

Got some pics from the horses mouth! Always good....:clickpic:

97598 97599 97600 97601

PrairieSpyder
10-26-2014, 07:37 AM
I was so intent on getting the info to this site that I didn't notice David's unintended pun!
Well spotted, Patti!!

Got some pics from the horses mouth! Always good....:clickpic:

97598 97599 97600 97601

I can see now that is quite different from the one I saw on Craigslist. It's a nice-looking trailer. With needing a different hitch for the Spyder, is it that much better than a 2-wheel trailer that can be used with the OEM hitch?

OJ UK
10-26-2014, 07:56 AM
Good point Patti....but remember there's no such thing as an OEM hitch for the F3 yet and who knows
how long it'll take BRP to market one.
I think, taking into account the quality evident here, if this trailer can be brought to market for less
than AU$3000 which is around $2650 US there will be a fair amount of interest in this nice compact
trailer. Of course the shipping may prove to be a downside with those who shop on price alone but
if the quality is there and it's got a two year warranty then I think folk will go for it.
Here's a magazine article:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128777300@N04/15631925795/

jaherbst
10-26-2014, 08:55 AM

FWIW These trailers have 250 liters/60kg capacity which is a lot and you can wheel them into your hotel room
as they'll go through a standard door!

Can you sleep with it also? Will it have a pint with you. I gotta know!

Jack

jaherbst
10-26-2014, 09:03 AM
There is a guy in Texas who sells and services them if he is still in business. They are used a lot on the BMW's. google UniGo and it should come up. Texas Motorcycle Trailers Plus

Jack

OJ UK
10-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Can you sleep with it also

If you're on the very small side you can probably sleep IN it!
And you can park it next to your motel bed.

Will it have a pint with you

Nah! But it'll hold enough beer to keep you happy!

I gotta know!

Jack

May I assume that you're not impressed, Jack? Is it because it's not made in the US?
If I wanted a trailer like this it would be easier for me to get it from Australia than from the US.

reissooz
10-26-2014, 09:47 AM
There is a guy in Texas who sells and services them if he is still in business. They are used a lot on the BMW's. google UniGo and it should come up. Texas Motorcycle Trailers Plus

Jack

appears to be a dealer in Jacksonville, FL too..

jaherbst
10-26-2014, 10:32 AM
May I assume that you're not impressed, Jack? Is it because it's not made in the US?
If I wanted a trailer like this it would be easier for me to get it from Australia than from the US.

I am impressed. I almost bought one for my R1200RT BMW. Great little trailer. Now if they could only get it to snuggle with you after they brought it through the door--who knows??;)

Jack

Mike,P
10-26-2014, 11:25 AM
The price on the Uni-Go is around $2600 too ,, but keep in mind the hitches are sold in addition to @ approximately $450 each... Uni-Go trailers were first manufacturered in NZ and if I recall correctly,,, mine cost abt $4000 give or take to get it to my door in Michigan and I bought mine in primer... The Mad Max trailer looks like a copy of Uni-Go but seems to be better quality.. Look at the trailer pics on both websites and check out the gap around where the lid closes.. On the Unigo the lid gap is inconsistent and on the mad max pics this gap looks automotive grade... I liked my Unigo and pulled it behind my FJR 1300 and my 1150 GS.. I haven't seen a current Unigo since the company was bought and moved to the U.S. I remember talking to the new owner and he stated they were working on the quality issues... The pics on the website don't reflect that but in their defense they may be old pics..

Stepthru
02-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Personally, I strongly-favour the development and use of a Swingarm-axle area mounted towbar, which pivots vertically there, on bushes on a Rod that passes through the Spyder's hollow axle. A twin spar towbar will pass around the Spyder's rear wheel, and will feature a horizontal pivot at its rear centre area. This system is currently already being successfully used by two other single wheeled trailer manufacturers.

Interesting, (first post BTW) if the Spyder does indeed have a hollow axle then this Canadian trailer has potential:

http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102650&stc=1

It will work with a standard hitch as well... lots of pics on the web site. And no, I'm not affiliated.

Roadster Renovations
05-27-2015, 09:06 PM
After seeing the construction of the hitches for the RT's (thin wall metal and installed with plastic shims, no cantilevered support in relationship to the swing arm), I do believe that I can build a better one than that for the F3. Anybody in Indiana interested in entering into a partnership? You provide your F3 for measurements and in exchange you get to test and keep the first one made.
NOTE: Like it has been stated above, BRP will have exactly the same stance with this as with the RT aftermarket hitches. They will not warranty the bike because of that. Anyone interested in doing this, PM me or email me at: roadsterrenovations@gmail.com

(And of course if Lamont is planning on making and selling these, I will cease development out of respect for him and his abilities)

Nemesis
05-28-2015, 06:08 AM
After seeing the construction of the hitches for the RT's (thin wall metal and installed with plastic shims, no cantilevered support in relationship to the swing arm), I do believe that I can build a better one than that for the F3. Anybody in Indiana interested in entering into a partnership? You provide your F3 for measurements and in exchange you get to test and keep the first one made.
NOTE: Like it has been stated above, BRP will have exactly the same stance with this as with the RT aftermarket hitches. They will not warranty the bike because of that. Anyone interested in doing this, PM me or email me at: roadsterrenovations@gmail.com

(And of course if Lamont is planning on making and selling these, I will cease development out of respect for him and his abilities)

Lamont has apparently designed one but felt it was too risky to sell.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?81314-Need-trailer-hitch-for-my-F3s&p=981366#post981366

retired1
05-28-2015, 06:08 AM

Lamont posted that he has ceased development on his hitch, due to liability issues etc.:dontknow:

Roadster Renovations
05-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the info about Lamont. I am still game to design one if anyone is interested.

Nemesis
05-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info about Lamont. I am still game to design one if anyone is interested.

I am interested!

Roadster Renovations
05-28-2015, 04:31 PM
I am interested!

Washington State is a far piece from me! I really need to have someone local (Indiana) that can pop down a couple of times. I am also going to talk to my insurance guy and see about the cost of liability insurance before I go any farther.

Bob Denman
05-28-2015, 05:37 PM
I am also going to talk to my insurance guy and see about the cost of liability insurance before I go any farther.

:clap: :2thumbs:
I'm not sure if the laws in your State are any different from my own...
But "Products and Completed Operations" coverage might just be what you should be looking for.

Roadster Renovations
05-29-2015, 07:36 AM
:clap: :2thumbs:
I'm not sure if the laws in your State are any different from my own...
But "Products and Completed Operations" coverage might just be what you should be looking for.

Thanks, Bob!