PDA

View Full Version : I'm an Idiot!

SubDriver
10-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Before I make myself even a bigger idiot at the dealership let me verify something. I traded in my 13 for a 14 RT LTD couple months ago. Dealer told me just to keep my headsets I got when I bought the new bike. I had never used them but now have a reason to. (Cute Lady...but I digress). I put the mics on the helmets and go to hook them up on the bike...guess what...nothing to connect them to. I assumed they were under the caps. My question is aren't they standard on the LTD? :helpsmilie:

Mr. White
10-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Bad news. I have the same problem. My new Ltd needs a DIFFERENT WIRING HARNESS to transfer my CB/XM radios to it. It does not have the hookup you speak of and you will need purchase additional wiring of some sort to hook up your headset (s). I was surprised to buy the best and get this problem....all is costs is money.

:spyder2:

Bob Denman
10-24-2014, 07:31 AM
George is right... :shocked:
But that doesn't make you an idiot; it just gives you an opportunity to do do some shopping! :clap: :2thumbs:

pwilbarger
10-24-2014, 07:34 AM
You have to get the cb/communication system and the entertainment harness. I just took delivery of my '14 LTD and they have the harness but cb/comm system is on back order until October 27th and needs to be shipped to my dealer. Prolly won't be installed until November. Brrrr! If you don't want the cb you could go with the Bluetooth dongle route but you'd need new headsets for that. I went the cb route because it decided I wanted to use my existing headsets. Plug and play for me.

Spyder Phyl
2014 RT-Ltd, Cognac and Time Black 2010 RT-622 trailer.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SubDriver
10-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Bad news. I have the same problem. My new Ltd needs a DIFFERENT WIRING HARNESS to transfer my CB/XM radios to it. It does not have the hookup you speak of and you will need purchase additional wiring of some sort to hook up your headset (s). I was surprised to buy the best and get this problem....all is costs is money.

Thanks...I don't feel so bad now. But Sir, u r correct....top of the line and u get this problem!:banghead::banghead:

Mr. White
10-24-2014, 08:57 AM
I need the CB as my group (Hill Country Road Riders) all have CBs, not blue tooth, etc and I enjoy visiting with the 18 wheel guys on the interstate. New harness is on order and am told the headset plug comes with it....??

Art Mann
10-24-2014, 09:02 AM
For 10 years, I struggled with wired headsets on my Goldwings. Finally, I bought wireless headsets and i can tell you now, I will never go back to wired. In addition to being more convenient to use as an intercom, I am now connected to my phone, music and GPS by way of bluetooth. I would count the cost of selling the wired headsets and buying wireless against spending money to get the Spyder rigged for wired communication and see which way comes out best.

Mr. White
10-24-2014, 09:07 AM
For 10 years, I struggled with wired headsets on my Goldwings. Finally, I bought wireless headsets and i can tell you now, I will never go back to wired. In addition to being more convenient to use as an intercom, I am now connected to my phone, music and GPS by way of bluetooth. I would count the cost of selling the wired headsets and buying wireless against spending money to get the Spyder rigged for wired communication and see which way comes out best.

Will it work on the BRP CB and my XM radio....the sweet wife does not ride any more so I don't need intercom and I don't want to hear the GPS telling me to turn, but that is just me.

finless
10-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Will it work on the BRP CB and my XM radio....the sweet wife does not ride any more so I don't need intercom and I don't want to hear the GPS telling me to turn, but that is just me.

You cannot have the BRP CB and Bluetooth. The CB only works with the wired helmet setup. But you can have BRP XM radio and Bluetooth.

Bob

Mr. White
10-24-2014, 11:04 AM
You cannot have the BRP CB and Bluetooth. The CB only works with the wired helmet setup. But you can have BRP XM radio and Bluetooth.

Bob

Bob, thanks, I only wish to have my CB and XM....CB preferred if I can only have one. No interest in Bluetooth. Dealer says I can have both with proper harness. They worked great on my 2011....

Art Mann
10-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted CB and not intercom. I guess my recommendation only applies to the person who started the thread.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Unless things have changed since I put CB on my 2013, which I doubt they have, intercom is integral with the CB radio so you will have wired intercom when you add CB, even if you don't use it. I don't! The entertainment harness is needed to add CB. It also has the connection for XM radio. The passenger headset connector is part of the entertainment harness. The driver headset connecting harness is included with the CB radio. It plugs into the existing bike harness on the left side below the center console.

As finless said you can have BT, or CB, but not both. What is needed, and no one seems to have one available, is a BT dongle that will enable two-way communication plus the stereo audio that can be connected to the headset harness along with a BT helmet headset that will handle both stereo audio and two-way communication. I'm sure existing helmet BT units would work.

DonST
12-05-2014, 02:51 PM
I just had the new CB system (with the Entertainment Harness) installed on my 2014 RT-S SM6. I planned on using the J&M headsets in my helmets . One is for my Gold Wing and has a 5 pin to 5 pin connecting cord. The other is for the handlebar mounted J&M CB, which has a 6 pin connection from the radio. The helmet set ( a JM Performance set) has an 8 pin helmet socket , but has the lower cord is 8 pin (helmet side) to 6 pin (radio/bike side). J&M lists a lower cord for the Can- Am that is 8 pin to 7 pin. The Can-Am CB has 7 pin connectors with a flip lid cover mounted in the center of the switch panel and by the left passenger grab bar.

Here's the problem: the lower cord that came with the set has a 90 degree connector vs the straight barrel connector with "cap" used by J&M. The barrel connector might work for the passenger but looks the rider's will hit the handle bars ( I have the tri-adjustable handle bars). The lower cord that came with the set will not fit into the passenger's connectin. It appears that the connector just needs to be rotated 90 degrees to make it line up in the available space. ( I think the dealer may have given me the passengers PTT cord and confused it with a lower cord for the rider. I don't see a picture of a lower cord with the CB set in the catalog. Only with the Can-Am headset.)

So, does anyone know where I can get a lower cord with a 90 degree connector? Or will the J&M straight barrel lower cord work ? I called J&M and they said they never heard of this problem but do not have a Spyder to sample.

Thanks , and sorry for the long post.

pwilbarger
01-11-2015, 11:21 AM
I've been using this J & M lower cord for both rider and passenger headset on two RT's with no problems. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Z -series Lower-section 8-pin cord 08-15 Kaw, Can-Am & Victory 7-pin

# HC-ZVT
This heavy-duty Z-Series 8-pin lower-section hook-up cord is to be used with all J&M[emoji768] Elite Series headset #'s HS-EHI787, HS-IHI787, HS-ECD629, HS-ICD629, HS-ECD584, HS-ICD584, HS-ECD477, HS-ICD477, HS-ECD374, HS-ECD271 and HS-ECD269 headsets for connection to 2008-2015 Kawasaki[emoji768], Can-Am[emoji768] Spyder & Victory[emoji768] Vision 7-pin audio systems.

Spyder Phyl
2014 RT-Ltd, Cognac and Timeless Black 2010 RT-622 trailer.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rays hell
01-11-2015, 04:44 PM

Which wireless system do you have?

GreenDragon
01-18-2015, 09:14 PM
After having ridden with a number of groups, most use CB's for communication. I have decided to go with BT as I see no need for the CB. I have a CB on my Wing.
If I am riding with a group, I can follow the rider ahead of me. If they turn, I can follow the rider ahead of me. If they stop, I can stop behind the rider ahead of me. If they start, I can follow the rider ahead of me. If I get stopped by a light, they should know it and pull over or slow down, then I can catch them and follow the rider ahead of me.
if I am leading, I need to watch for the riders behind me and they can follow me. If I stop, they can stop. If I take off, they can follow me. If I turn, they can follow me. If some of them get stopped by a light or traffic, I will wait for them and they can follow me.
if I am on the ball, as a leader should be, I will use hand signals to let the followers know what we/I am going to do.
And a huge plus is, I do not have to listen to all the chatter from the other riders that interfers with my communications.
Problem solved
I hope I am not being repetitious here, but a CB is an expensive toy for which I do not see a need. I do not need the radio, but do want to talk to my wife and I had better listen to her as she is my 2nd set of eyes and ears.:thumbup: