PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating "NANNY"

DriftersWay
10-20-2014, 05:14 AM
I'm thinking of building a show and go bike.
Has anyone ever tried to redo the computer
to eliminate the Nanny. Or replacing it with
an after market.

thanks

Bob Denman
10-20-2014, 06:44 AM
:shocked: The VSS is so integral, that it'd be a monster chore.
DrewNJ got his bike to run without a bunch of the sensors in place, but as I recall; it's still pretty far from perfect.

Art Mann
10-20-2014, 09:10 AM
I have been an engineer on the development team of several powertrain and antilock brake control modules for the automotive industry. The scope of that task, especially the software, is much greater than you would think. It is beyond the competence level of all but the most elite aftermarket designers. The Spyder market is so small that I doubt that any company with the necessary resources would be willing to undertake that task. The liability risk alone would discourage most developers.

I don't understand why anyone would want to disable such an invaluable feature. Stability control and ABS is why I chose the Spyder. I think it would be a very skilled rider indeed who could safely outperform an identical stock Spyder with these systems disabled.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-20-2014, 09:18 AM
an after market.

thanks
:dontknow:.....My question is WHY is this necessary.................Mike :lecturef_smilie:

DrewNJ
10-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Chupaca
10-20-2014, 10:32 AM
let us know...photos of the show part would be nice especially before the "go" part...:roflblack: doable but tough..!!

Spyder Tony
10-20-2014, 11:25 AM
As more of a sport bike rider, I can totally understand WHY someone would want to disable the Nanny...but HOW is the operative question. Seems like the system is integrated throughout the bike.
I have learned to ryde within the limitations of the Nanny...but let me tell you, I still yearn for that adrenaline provided by the 90's Suzuki GL1000.

I LOVE my Spyders, but one of the major contributors to the younger crowd not going "all-in" for them is the performance limiting features of the Nanny. I know my '08 GS is much more tolerant that our ST or any RT I've ridden...and I hear the F3 is even more forgiving. BRP is moving in the right direction on those models targeted for a slightly younger audience.

MouthPiece
10-20-2014, 11:51 AM
And the F-3 is.

Chris

Roadster Renovations
10-20-2014, 02:05 PM
It would be nice to disable it for a short time when needed. We almost got hit when the nanny decided to override my request for critical acceleration when pulling out onto a highway. Very rare times it's needed, but a temporary override would be great in some situations.

ARtraveler
10-20-2014, 02:09 PM
I am thinking that warranty would probably be voided for sure.

I can see wanting to take the :ani29: to the edge and beyond for some.

Can see safety and legal issues with this though.

If you do it, let us know how it works. It's your :spyder2:.

Bob Denman
10-20-2014, 02:09 PM
I think that by the time you realized that you needed to override it, and actually did; Nanny would have already saved your bacon...nojoke
BRP was pretty close to shelving the entire idea of the reverse-tike... until Bosch came on board, with the VSS system. :thumbup:

DriftersWay
10-20-2014, 03:19 PM
an after market.

thanks

The bike would not be a daily driver. Although it would need to be street
leagel to be driven to shows. VSS and the ABS would need to go as well
as the Nanny telling me I am hitting the gas to fast. Also thinking of
independent front and rear braking. I know some may think I'm nuts
LOL well I am. But again this is something I'm thinking about.

Thanks All :)

zamfield
10-20-2014, 03:27 PM
If it's so detrimental then why has the new F3 got a less "involved" nanny?
Why do so many cars have an override button, to turn off the Traction Control?

I think it's a good idea to be able to turn it off at least, for when you want to be "Silly" on the thing... Not me (of course), I just understand that some guys & gals want / need to be "Silly" sometimes! :D

Colin
10-20-2014, 03:30 PM
I haven't done this, as I think I would hurt myself lolol. I have an ST SM5. When you pull the clutch lever in
there is a little piece/tag on the lever that actually pushes in pressure switch which tells nanny that the clutch
is engaged, so she has no need to worry/kick in, just wait until the clutch is released before she wakes up.
So in essence if you can keep that pressure switch closed all the time, nanny thinks that the clutch is in and
there is no need to worry.
As I said, I haven't done this, but I can promise you that the guy who told me knows the Spyder and all other
BRP/Canam Products very well.

Bob Denman
10-20-2014, 05:12 PM
:shocked: Interesting... :thumbup:

DriftersWay
10-20-2014, 06:29 PM
:shocked: Interesting... :thumbup:

very interesting:thumbup:

flaggerphil
10-20-2014, 09:22 PM
The only thing I'd want to disable is the wait to read the warning label before starting. In three years of riding this thing I haven't come up against any other situation where I'd want Nanny off.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting older...

Art Mann
10-20-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't know how well Bosch implemented the stability controls on the Spyders but they have a very good reputation in the automotive world. I would expect they did a good job.

It has been shown time after time after time that cars equipped with traction control (part of VSS) will accelerate faster on slippery roads than the same model without it, even though it doesn't feel that way to the driver. Spinning tires do not accelerate a vehicle nearly as well as those with less power and no slip. The controller can sense slip in less than one tire revolution and take appropriate action to cut torque and restore traction. Human beings simply can't do that.

Roadster Renovations
10-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Perhaps I need to describe my "acting silly" moment in a little more detail. Actually, it started with a stupid mistake (doesn't it allways?) I had to check our GPS map and found what I thought was a good spot. We were in a coastal area of Maine on a two lane and I found what looked like a good pull-off point. It was a gravel road with a fairly steep incline and I was pulling a heavily loaded trailer. AS I pulled off, the coast was clear and it looked to be a easy spot to get back on the road. I thought I was smart and pulled up and backed up the hill to get a good start back onto the road. I then noticed that by getting a good running start that put me back too far to see around the slight curve of the road in each direction. I could not back up any farther so I stuck. I got my bearings in a few minutes and in that time no cars had went past in either direction. I listened as well as I could and hearing nothing, I took off. As soon as I was committed, a speeder came around the curve on my left. I nailed the throttle and the bike responded. We were then heading straight towards the edge of a pretty deep drop-off on the other side of the road. The bike cleared the speeders lane and I had to quickly turn left (almost straight 90 degrees). At this point, everyone should know what happened. The left wheel left the ground and the nanny cut power by at least 50%. I was very lucky to have enough momentum at that point to get the trailer out of the way, but I am here to tell you it was very close. That is one situation where the nanny almost caused an accident. What did I learn?
1. When towing a trailer, allow much more time and distance when entering roads.
2. Always be constantly aware of the restrictions of what the nanny will allow you to do.
3. Plan ahead.
I was not "acting silly", just trying to survive and keep my wife and equipment safe. I agree the liability for BRP would be too great for something like this, but I am wondering how the RT Gold Wing conversions do it without the VSS system. You don't hear of them having problems. And, since they have loosened up the nanny on the F5, maybe they have these set too tight.
I think the modification should be in the inertial sensor. I know mine is too sensitive. I can take curves and not raise either wheel and the nanny will dampen down if it thinks there is too much g force.

mastertek2000
10-21-2014, 05:42 AM
this guy did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTjeoKXHzWg

vided
10-21-2014, 06:08 AM
this guy did

WHY, WHY

jmho

Bob Denman
10-21-2014, 07:35 AM
Bosch's system monitors far more than wheelspin, or brake lockup...
It'll shut down power, and apply braking forces to individual wheels, if it thinks that you're getting close to flipping over. :yikes:

That "360 Burnout"; was impressive; I wonder how much unplugging it took to allow that much steering angle, and wheelspin? :dontknow:

Bob Denman
10-21-2014, 09:13 AM
You can't compare the SlingShot, to a Spyder...
It's a much wider vehicle, and the center of gravity is also a lot lower...
For this application; a VSS system may not be needed.
But I'm pretty happy to have "Nanny" as a Co-Pilot on my Spyder! (Glitches and all...) :thumbup:

Art Mann
10-21-2014, 09:55 AM
I sold a perfectly good Goldwing rather than having it triked and bought the Spyder for much more money instead. I did so even though I am convinced that Goldwings are, by far, the most reliable motorcycles on the road. The reason I did so is stability control, traction control and anti-lock brakes. I have seen or heard of several Wing trikes which suddenly lifted a rear wheel and flipped over in a high speed turn. I am looking for a ride that reduces that risk.

There are cases where seat belts have caused people to lose their lives. But, in the overwhelming majority of car wrecks, the person with the seat belt buckled is the one who survives the crash. I think the same thing is true concerning Spyder ABS and stability control.

Bob Denman
10-21-2014, 10:00 AM
:agree: Thank you
Generally speaking; it's much better to have it; than to NOT have it... :D

ghostspyder11
10-21-2014, 10:01 AM
With the RT's and ST's you are sitting up higher in the seat, where as the F3 you feel you are sitting in it, not on it.

DragonSpyder
10-21-2014, 12:21 PM
There is an old thread talking about how to disable the Nanny. Pretty much just disconnect the wheel sensors and put tape over them!

Bob Denman
10-21-2014, 01:04 PM
There are some others in the bike, that can still give you some trouble... :shocked:
We were thinking, that you could mount your two front wheel speed sensors to the back wheel to keep them from tripping you up! :thumbup:
DrewNJ played around with the yaw sensor (I think!)

Mortis
10-22-2014, 06:38 AM
I was told that you can cut the blue cable under the seat (ore put a switch on it) and then you can power slide with the spyder. you will get a failure in the display but when you connect the cables again and take out the key you will reset the fault.

This was done on a spyder RS

Morten

SailnDive
08-23-2015, 09:55 AM
:agree: Thank you
Generally speaking; it's much better to have it; than to NOT have it... :D

Generally speaking; I also agree...but let it be my choice! Then let my skill and Darwin and Murphy be in charge. Why do some people feel the need to tell other people whats risks they are ALLOWED to take? A skydiver recently jumped out without a parachute, was handed one by another jumper, put it on, opened and landed safely. Would that be considered stupid by most people? I wouldn't do it! Lot's of things to go wrong and end in his death. But I defend his right to do it if he want's to. It's his life. I sign a waver saying that no one is responsible but me if I die or get hurt jumping out of an airplane. I could do the same for the Spyder. I don't know that I'd turn Nanny off...I'm getting old with far slower reflexes. Maybe I need her. But I'd like to be able to if I wanted to. It's not just Nanny, it's all the other things that just quit working just because the computer screws up. I've designed and built hundreds of unique objects in my life time, that have no computers involved in their functioning. I believe in KISS.
Keep It Simple Stupid.

JayBros
08-23-2015, 10:44 AM
I LOVE my Spyders, but one of the major contributors to the younger crowd not going "all-in" for them is the performance limiting features of the Nanny.

IMO, the way BRP has made it so difficult to fire Nanny is better for us sane or semi-sane types. Can you imagine the furor that would be created by so many parties in this litigious society of our if Nanny could be turned off or easily neutralized? :cus:-head who belongs on crotch-rocket because he's stupid wipes himself out on his Nanny neutralized F3, mom, pop, spouse whomever sues BRP, dealer, salesman, etc., for willful negligence and whatever. The lawyers would make it worse than asbestos litigation and BRP would be history. Thanks BRP!

dndfindley
08-23-2015, 01:08 PM
this guy did

That's what I'm talking about!

dndfindley
08-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Generally speaking; I also agree...but let it be my choice! Then let my skill and Darwin and Murphy be in charge. Why do some people feel the need to tell other people whats risks they are ALLOWED to take? A skydiver recently jumped out without a parachute, was handed one by another jumper, put it on, opened and landed safely. Would that be considered stupid by most people? I wouldn't do it! Lot's of things to go wrong and end in his death. But I defend his right to do it if he want's to. It's his life. I sign a waver saying that no one is responsible but me if I die or get hurt jumping out of an airplane. I could do the same for the Spyder. I don't know that I'd turn Nanny off...I'm getting old with far slower reflexes. Maybe I need her. But I'd like to be able to if I wanted to. It's not just Nanny, it's all the other things that just quit working just because the computer screws up. I've designed and built hundreds of unique objects in my life time, that have no computers involved in their functioning. I believe in KISS.
Keep It Simple Stupid.

You said it perfectly. I agree 100%. I do like ABS however - very much.

coz
08-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Contact them. Looks like they know how to turn her off.:trike:

flaggerphil
08-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Keep It Simple Stupid.

Then why did you buy the Spyder? You knew before hand about the computers, didn't you? And if it means THAT much to you find an engineering firm that knows these kinds of systems and have the nanny turned off.

Or sell it and buy a Taurus.

garb55
08-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Nanny is not so bad
She is a lot better than my "EX" :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Keep It Simple Stupid.

Dave,
How many miles do you have on your Spyder so far? :dontknow:

AMTJIM
08-25-2015, 03:30 AM
It handles much better with more rigid sticky car tires than Kendas and lowering CG with switching the bars to cafe. You have to be just as animated on it as a sportbike and you feel like you were line dancing with a with a gorilla after a 20-30 minute track session...you sleep really good after a day of it.
While many sponsored riders fully rely on it now, Josh Hayes and others prefer having it all turned off. The frame on the Spyder is not that good for it, it's more like a sport tourer at best. But like mentioned a few posts back, physical sensor hack(or bribe your Spyder mech to lower sensor values via BUDS) and you can go stunting on it...there is a few videos out there of Slingshots(that you drive) getting flipped by the driver, they are not immune...Lot's of used sports car convertibles on the market, much cheaper and better handling(miata, del sol, S2000, mitsu spider and so onnnnnnn).