PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a used Spyder RT?

Siara
10-20-2014, 04:21 AM
Hi everyone,

Since I'm a newbie regarding the Spyder in general I'd love to have your feedback on the matter. I've been riding a two-wheeled bike for all my life since it was legal to do so (27 years young now) but due to health issues I'm being forced to search for an alternative. I've done a testdrive on the 2014 Spyder RT basic model and it was manageable for sure. Now I'm currently saving up to purchase a basic 2014 RT model which is about € 25,000 over here. It might take me a few years to save up though.

HOWEVER...

The dealer himself currently has a Spyder RT-S (2010) for sale with no visible damage as well as a Spyder RT-Limited (2012) with visible scratches on the side panels. The 2010 model goes for € 15.000 while the 2012 goes for €17.000. How bad is the mileage on the editions of these years? Can I expect atleast 30mpg or will it be lower? Are these machines still viable to run for atleast 5 more years?

In short, should I save up for a new Spyder or are the second-hand spyders not all that bad? Not sure if the cost of the gas on these things are worth buying it secondhand or waiting it out and have better mileage on the more expensive new model...

I hate making these kind of decisions so feedback on the matter is much appreciated. Are there people out there still cruising around on the 2010 and 2012 editions?

Thank you in advance for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Eagle1
10-20-2014, 06:05 AM
We bought our 2010 rt in Oct 13 and it had 2300mi, bought 2 yr warranty, we are over 14,000 miles and getting approx 30 mpg. Replaced rear tire at 13,100 mi, went to a Khumo. Replaced air shock under warranty. I recommend the warranty, Great ryde for short or long rydes. Very happy,! Enjoy the ryde.

warp10
10-20-2014, 06:43 AM
I would go for the 2012 limited if you can afford it. The 2012 was considered to be the best and most problem free of all the RT years, (until the 2014 can out). The 2012 Limited also has many nice features that the 2010 RT-S does not have. If you can get them to throw the warranty in do it, it is piece of mind, even if you don't need it.

Bob Denman
10-20-2014, 06:56 AM
2010 was the first year for the RT model. It was a GREAT effort, but there were some stumbling points along the way...
The front suspension was considered by most to just be too "Soft". Most 2010 owners replaced their shocks with either something from the aftermarket, or at least some OEM shocks from a 2011 or 2012 RT...
It was also the first year for the "throttle by wire" 991 Series engine. There were a lot of throttle bodies replaced and throttle position sensors going bad as well...
By 2012; most of these issues had been worked out; this is the most desireable of the First generation RTs to own...

But the 2014s are so much better in every functional apect; that it's almost worth the wait... :D
Happy Shopping! :thumbup:

Siara
10-20-2014, 07:01 AM
Thank you for the feedback so far, I really appreciate it. The RT limited of 2012 would be our safest bet in that case? I know we have one year of warranty on any secondhand Spyder, that would keep us 'safe' I guess for about a year. Not sure if we can purchase additional warranty. I'll be sure to ask the dealer. Is there anything else I should check out when dealing with secondhand Spyders?

Anyone else who can give us some more heads up on the matter?

PrairieSpyder
10-20-2014, 09:31 AM
I would also opt for the 2012 Ltd for reasons already given. But make sure it comes with all the extras the Ltd came out with, if you're going to pay the premium for that model. They're the same machines as the RTS, but had things like fitted luggage, GPS, etc., the RTS didn't have. When people trade in their Ltd's they often keep those items.

bronzeflex42
10-20-2014, 09:44 AM
I own a 2012 Limited and it's been good to me, with no mechanical issues. I've owned it bout 7 months now. It has bout 8,000 miles on it, runs and handle great. I did a lot of research before i bought it and the 2012 RTs had the best reviews.:yes:

Chupaca
10-20-2014, 10:51 AM
For the I want it now in you...go with the 2012. For the I want the best all around one hang on there will be used 14's you can at affordable prices...:thumbup:

R FUN
10-20-2014, 12:08 PM
I have a 2012 ltd and have had no problems in 34000 klm [20,400 miles]. I replaced the rear tire at 20,000km and just replace the fronts this month all with auto tires. I average about 35 mpg. on Canadian gas but a little less on US gas as I think they have more ethenal added. I too would recommend the 2012 LTD if considering used.
Roger

Dragonrider
10-20-2014, 12:18 PM
My 2010 was trouble free, but I would still opt for the 2012, given the choice. It's worth the 3K difference.

The 2014 is a whole different animal, and also worth the entry price, but riding the 12 for a couple of years is a good tradeoff.

ARtraveler
10-20-2014, 02:48 PM
I have owned a 2010 RT-S and 2011 RT A&C version. Both were trouble free. I put 36,000 miles on 2010 before trading in. The 2011 has 17,000 miles currently.

Given a choice of 2010 or 2012, I would recommend the 2012. The 2012 is considered the best of the 998 Rotax powered RT's.

The 2014 is everything they say it is, and more. That is now my preferred RT.

The Rotax should be good for 200 - 300 thousand miles. The highest I have heard so far is 100 miles before trading off.

Siara
10-27-2014, 06:26 AM
Thank you to everyone who gave me some advice on the matter.

Unfortunately the 2012 edition was just sold so I was just a tad late. A bit regretful but I'm trying to stay positive. What would you guys and girls do? The 2010 RT-S is still available at € 15.700 and I get one year of guarantee on the bike. They'll also do a maintenance on the bike before I get to take it home and the dealer offers good guarantee I've heard from others.

Should I go with the 2010 or hope for a better secondhand to come in? Or should I just forget secondhand and go for a new shiny bike?

I'd love some feedback on the matter. It's so very hard to decide on this.

stormtrooper
10-27-2014, 06:57 AM
That sucks that the 2012 is gone/sold.This is my second Spyder and so much fun to ride.I would not be able to wait a few years to save my money for the 2014.So with that I would wait and see if someone trades in there old Spyder(2012/2014) for a new one(2015) at the dealer and jump on it if you can afford it.Good luck :yes:

Bob Denman
10-27-2014, 07:12 AM
I would LIKE to say that you might want to pick up that 2010...

But the new bikes are just SOOOO much better in every functional way! :2thumbs:
Everything that I loved about my 2010; I love even more in my 2014.
The places where I saw room for improvement; they fixed!

PrairieSpyder
10-27-2014, 08:12 AM

:agree:

murphybrown
10-27-2014, 08:49 AM

With Bob and PrairieSpyder. I have owned and loved a '10 RT for 70k awesome and basically trouble free miles. But the 16k I've put on the '14 since buying end of April is :thumbup::thumbup:. There is no comparison IMHO...Knowing me and even knowing what I know about '10 vs '14...I would not wait. I would be ryding what I could afford when a plan for upgrading...:yes: Enjoy the decision making and then embrace the purchase and ryde, ryde, ryde. :clap:

Bob Denman
10-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Please don't misunderstand us... :shocked:
We'd love to help you save some money, but the new bikes are just a bit too good to ignore. nojoke

finless
10-27-2014, 11:45 AM
2011 RTS bought used last June and had 450 miles on it. I am at 11K miles now with no service issues.

Bob

Dragonrider
10-27-2014, 07:29 PM
My 2010 was terrific.

Points to consider: Service intervals are longer on the 14s and 15s. The oil is easier to check on the 14s and 15s. The fuel efficiency is better on the 14s and 15s. There is no heat or gas smell on the 14s and 15s.

If these points aren't that important to you, you might consider offering the dealer 12,500 for the 10. You can do a lot with the extra cash.

Siara
12-08-2014, 03:46 AM
Thank you everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

We're currently hunting a silver RT-S (2012) and a brown RT-LTD (2013) at our local dealer. He said he'd contact us this week with the best deal he could possibly give us on the machines. Either of them would have standard 3 year warranty and road assistance and he was going to try and cut prices and add extra accessories. These are still new machines so I'm kind of leaning towards the 2012 at this moment but it all depends on the price he's willing to give us.

He really needs the machines gone to make room for the new F3 in the showroom. Both machines are brand new but off course have the old engine. I look forward to hearing from him...

PrairieSpyder
12-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Thank you everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

We're currently hunting a silver RT-S (2012) and a brown RT-LTD (2013) at our local dealer. He said he'd contact us this week with the best deal he could possibly give us on the machines. Either of them would have standard 3 year warranty and road assistance and he was going to try and cut prices and add extra accessories. These are still new machines so I'm kind of leaning towards the 2012 at this moment but it all depends on the price he's willing to give us.

He really needs the machines gone to make room for the new F3 in the showroom. Both machines are brand new but off course have the old engine. I look forward to hearing from him...

Brand new!! Woooohoooo!!! That should be a good deal for you. Just based on what I've heard of the '13s, I'd go for the '12.

I can't wait to hear how this turns out. Don't forget to post pics!!

Bob Denman
12-08-2014, 08:58 AM
:congrats: on the machines that have been found! :2thumbs:
I'd also tend to go with the 2012...
Happy Hunting! :thumbup:

Siara
12-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Brand new!! Woooohoooo!!! That should be a good deal for you. Just based on what I've heard of the '13s, I'd go for the '12.

I can't wait to hear how this turns out. Don't forget to post pics!!

Thank you very much for your enthusiasm :3 I really appreciate the support! The 2012 should be affordable so I hope he comes through on his word and offers me a nice deal. At the moment the RT-S (2012) is priced at € 22.900 (28.113 dollar) which isn't too bad I guess but I expect atleast a € 1,000 discount... I'm a stubborn girl, haha~

By the way I must say these machines are quite pricey on this side of the globe... Instead of converting the price from dollars to euros they simply replace the currency sign and leave the numbers the same. Sneaky little youknowwhats...

:congrats: on the machines that have been found! :2thumbs:
I'd also tend to go with the 2012...
Happy Hunting! :thumbup:

Thank you very much! Finding them was one thing, getting a good deal will be our next goal. I'll keep you all updated so you can expect a post when I receive word from him.

Dragonrider
12-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Plan on a late Spring ride - Zurich to Turin. I did that years ago on a rented BMW - I'd love to do it on my Spyder!!!!

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-08-2014, 03:37 PM
if you do a lot of riding you might want to look at a new one, the 1330 engine gets better mileage & being in europe your gas
is more then doubled ours in the states

Siara
12-09-2014, 02:39 AM
if you do a lot of riding you might want to look at a new one, the 1330 engine gets better mileage & being in europe your gas
is more then doubled ours in the states

Although I thought about that the price of a new or used 2014 or even a 2015 is very high up here. With the difference in price I could probably tank gas for 20+ years which is quite a lot. I figured I could always upgrade later on if I wished to do so. You never know what's in the future, who knows if I can still ride a vehicle in 20 years?

sealfloorboards
12-11-2014, 06:48 PM
I would go for the 2012 in a heart beat. It's a great machine. The 2013 is just too iffy at any price!!!. BTW, i ship Seal Floorboards to the UK often. Good luck and.......

Ride in comfort,
John
Sealcreativeconcepts.com

Marker
12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
I would go for the 2012 limited if you can afford it. The 2012 was considered to be the best and most problem free of all the RT years, (until the 2014 can out). The 2012 Limited also has many nice features that the 2010 RT-S does not have. If you can get them to throw the warranty in do it, it is piece of mind, even if you don't need it.

:agree: I just traded in my 2010 RT S SE5 and it had a few issues covered under warranty.
at 25,000km I had to have the SE5 transmission rebuilt,clutch pack fell apart. The CB/Comm system caused electrical issues so do not buy CB/Comm system cause its not worth the money.
at 30,000km had to replace the two small vaccuum hoses near the exhaust headers but that maintenance.
My spyder had 35,00km when I traded it.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Although I thought about that the price of a new or used 2014 or even a 2015 is very high up here. With the difference in price I could probably tank gas for 20+ years which is quite a lot. I figured I could always upgrade later on if I wished to do so. You never know what's in the future, who knows if I can still ride a vehicle in 20 years?
Be sure you get the benefit of BRP's rebate program, if it applies in Europe. I think it's up to $4000 here in the US for 2012 & 2013 models. No rebate yet on 2014s.

Siara
12-12-2014, 02:21 AM
I would go for the 2012 in a heart beat. It's a great machine. The 2013 is just too iffy at any price!!!. BTW, i ship Seal Floorboards to the UK often. Good luck and.......

Ride in comfort,
John
Sealcreativeconcepts.com

Thank you John! I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Handy to know you guys also ship to Europe, unfortunately there will probably also be a hefty tax involved. Just paid more than 100 dollar just to get an item released from customs, they really dislike people shipping things it would seem. *sigh*

Be sure you get the benefit of BRP's rebate program, if it applies in Europe. I think it's up to $4000 here in the US for 2012 & 2013 models. No rebate yet on 2014s.

We don't really have a rebate program. The price of the RT-S is already including some kind of discount (about € 3.000 I believe) so that might be the European equivalent.

So far I've heard nothing from the dealer. I've called them on Tuesday because they said they'd get back to me but apparently their sales manager had been sick on monday so not much to tell me yet. He told me he'd get back to me on Wednesday, Thursday the latest. No news yet and it's Friday. Not sure if I should call them again today asking if they got any news...not really happy with the lack of communication regarding a sale. It makes it seem like they don't want to sell at all. What are your thoughts?

Explorer
12-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Siara,
I love the picture!
If you have not yet found a buyer for your bike, you have time. Let the dealer chase you. The deal might get better.
Roger

Siara
12-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Siara,
I love the picture!
If you have not yet found a buyer for your bike, you have time. Let the dealer chase you. The deal might get better.
Roger

No news from the dealer so far, not even to let me know they can't find a seller for my two-wheeler. I'm starting to give up hope...if they want to sell they better do a decent effort because so far I'm very dissapointed with the can-am dealers in the country. I don't want to have to deal with this every time I have an issue or need to get a maintenance done. *sigh*

Bob Denman
12-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Don't give up hope...
After all; patience is the one virtue, that none of us can wait to acquire! :D

Deanna777
12-16-2014, 07:37 PM
My first spyder was a 2012RTS-SE5 I did not have any issues.

I took a test drive on a 2014RTS-SE6, in April ( in Springfield, MO @ Spyderfest) in July I bought a 2014RTS-SE6. I would buy a 2012RTS-SE5 if you can do it financially.

What a difference between the 2012RTSE5 and 2014RTS-SE6 , like night/day. Deanna

Siara
12-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Not giving up hope just quite yet, I still have some fight left in me. That's why I also refuse to drive my car and insist on purchasing such an expensive machine on three wheels. It might turn out to be a stupid decision but atleast it will be MY stupid decision. You can't learn in life if you don't atleast make a few mistakes, right? Who knows I might not even end up making a mistake.

Financially it will probably take me 5+ more years before I can purchase a Spyder from 2014 or newer with the newer engine so either I suck it up or I go crazy and purchase that beautiful new Spyder RT-S from 2012 that the dealer wants to get rid off. He offered me a deal of about 21k euro for the machine including 500 euro worth of accessories/clothing and 4 years of warranty. It doesn't sound like a bad deal at all but I'm having trouble letting my two-wheeler go.

Stupid me bonding with my machinery...ugh...

Bob Denman
12-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Bonding with our rides... :shocked:
When I traded in my 2010 for the 2014; that was the toughest part of the deal...
Leaving it there; alone! :yikes:

nojoke