PDA

View Full Version : Removing Body Panels

Handymandbq
10-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Can someone help me with something that seems so simple it's stupid? I'm trying to do an oil change on my 2011 RT SE5. I cannot get the top side panel off. I have all of the screws out except for the two chrome ones that are exposed. These seem to be some weird fastener with an Allen head opening but with a small metal dot in the middle of the opening. I can't fit an Allen wrench or a torx head bit into these things.

Am I seeing this right? Do these require some special tool you can only get from Can Am, or are they typically available at local parts stores? Thanks for your help.

DJFaninTN
10-18-2014, 10:13 PM
you do not remove those two torx screws. there are some plastic fasteners behind those silver torx screws. just slowly pull off the panel after you have all the screws out.

once you get all those removed then slowly begin to pull the panel off but leave those two silver torx screws alone.

billybovine
10-18-2014, 10:16 PM
​Do not remove the silver screws!!!!!!!

Chupaca
10-18-2014, 10:21 PM
you don't remove those...often wonder why they did not make it obvious like button heads :dontknow:

Lin
10-19-2014, 05:02 AM
You may want to read this thread about changing oil.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?14647-Lamonster-Oil-Change-on-the-RT&highlight=change

I did mine this way and it gave me plenty of access.

Good luck.

Lin

Bob Denman
10-19-2014, 08:07 AM
:lecturef_smilie: Read your manual... The instructions for body panel removal are very clear, concise, and easy to follow. :thumbup:

oldguyinTX
10-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Try this - it might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGbgxB14PQ

Bob Denman
10-19-2014, 03:40 PM
He makes it look almost easy! :thumbup:

jaherbst
10-19-2014, 08:42 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Read your manual... The instructions for body panel removal are very clear, concise, and easy to follow. :thumbup:

Manual? Are we supposed to get a manual with these things Bob.:opps:

Jack

oldguyinTX
10-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Nah, we get a 50 page book that tells us what we don't get from BRP.:shemademe_smilie:

scott16119
10-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Can someone help me with something that seems so simple it's stupid? I'm trying to do an oil change on my 2011 RT SE5. I cannot get the top side panel off. I have all of the screws out except for the two chrome ones that are exposed. These seem to be some weird fastener with an Allen head opening but with a small metal dot in the middle of the opening. I can't fit an Allen wrench or a torx head bit into these things.

Am I seeing this right? Do these require some special tool you can only get from Can Am, or are they typically available at local parts stores? Thanks for your help.

You are already past the hard part, for me getting the damn mirrors of was the hardest part my fist time. As far as getting the panel off, it seems there is usually some screw or pushpin hiding on u somewhere.

Dudley
10-19-2014, 10:12 PM
I have changed my own oil on the 2010 RT since the first oil change and have never removed the mirror. I remove only the black lower panel and the one above it. Two panels only, plus the plate/cover underneath. Easy as pie.