PDA

View Full Version : Tire gauge recommendations?

martiniman
10-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Never mind.....I'd like to delete this if possible.

ursamajor35126
10-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Front tires are a breeze to get a gauge in there to check the pressure. Rear tire.......not so much. I've tried two different gauges and just can not get a good connection on the rear tire. Any recommendations for a good gauge?
Thanks in advance.

I have an old mechanical plunger type gauge that can be bought at Home Depot. Mine is about 6" long, silver in color and costs maybe $5.00. Simple, basic, effective, cheap.

Chupaca
10-17-2014, 11:07 PM
just go to the edit tab at the bottom of your post, click it and select delete thread.. Only you can do this...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-18-2014, 08:09 AM
:agree: But we haven't had a good battle over tire gauges in a while... :D
Why not leave it, and see what happens?
(Personally; I still use my BRP gauge from my 2010 RT...)

Gary
10-18-2014, 09:21 AM
A'nt there one in the little tool kit that comes with the spyder???

both the ones I had , had tool kits.

ottawa-rider
10-18-2014, 10:25 AM
The tire gauge is not longer included with the 2014's.

finless
10-18-2014, 11:36 AM
I have to say that having 4 different gauges from the cheap plunger type to a high end dial gauge, believe it or not I like this one:

http://store.valueaccessories.net/TireProDigitalTireGauge.aspx

First off the old saying "Man with too many watches never knows the correct time" is like that. All the gauges I have including the BRP one read differently.

Also many analog dial gauges are not really an "expanded scale" which is what we need for the Spyder due to the really low pressure needed for the front tires! These gauges that go up to 100 lbs just are not accurate enough to get both fronts at say 16.5 or whatever.

JT's dual hose solution is a good one as both tires will be filled the same BUT the gauge still in my opinion is not accurate. What is needed is a gauge that only goes to say 40 lbs. and it's scale thus is expanded so you can accurately read 1/2 a lb if you need.

So why do I like the one from Value accessory? Because it is balls on accurate! How do I know that? Because I just got new car tires filled with nitrogen and they filled them to 32 lbs on all 4. I watched them do it. I got home and used all 4 of my gauges on the car tires. The value accessory one read the same reading and was consistent on all 4 tires. All the other gauges were off by up to 2 lbs which for the Spyder fronts is a problem (unless I am being overly anal).

So that's where I am at. I am sure there are expanded scale units that are accurate so others feel free to tell what your using.

Bob

Bob Denman
10-18-2014, 05:00 PM
The tire gauge is not longer included with the 2014's.

I wonder if you can order one from a dealer? :dontknow:

Honestly; I could even get it onto the back tire valve stem with no problems... :shocked:
As long as it reads consistently... :thumbup: