PDA

View Full Version : WD-40 stops brake squeal.

Dan_Ashley
10-17-2014, 02:08 PM
I hope nobody is dumb enough to use WD-40 on their brakes to stop brake squeal. But, as dumb as that idea is, I did one that was almost as dumb.

I have been using Tire Wet to put a little polish on the tires and the black "under garments" on my Spyder. I would use a spray bottle and just spray it on, then wipe with a rag. It looked really nice.

I knew I was getting it on the brake rotors, but "so what!" Well, I found out. The tire wet is a really sticky substance. When it gets on the rotors, it infiltrates the brake pads, and makes them perform less than optimly--Change that--it makes them a little slippery and wrecks them.

to remedy this you have to clean the rotors with brake cleaner and install new pads.

Sooooo, please be smarter than I was. If you want to shine up the tires and the "under garments", spray the polish onto a rag or a sponge, then use the rag or sponge on the Spyder. Don't spray the stuff onto the tires or wheels in a way that it can get on the rotors.

oldguyinTX
10-17-2014, 02:11 PM
I too use a spry to shine up the front tires. I then spray the pads & rotors with BraKleen, and have not had a problem.

Dan_Ashley
10-17-2014, 02:14 PM
See....way smarter tHan me!

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 02:20 PM
WD-40 stops Brake Squeal??? :D
Can you give me a link to their Website? I have GOT to try this wondrous new cleaning agent!! :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
10-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Thanks for posting about the brakes. :thumbup::thumbup:

Desert Spyder
10-17-2014, 03:14 PM
WD-40 stops Brake Squeal??? :D
Can you give me a link to their Website? I have GOT to try this wondrous new cleaning agent!! :2thumbs:

Easy Bob

cuznjohn
10-17-2014, 03:19 PM
the squeal will stop but you might not

Highwayman2013
10-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Just Sayin'

Chupaca
10-17-2014, 04:42 PM
tech down here uses simple green to clean out brake dust causing that annoying squeal. Seems to work well. Mine don't squeal but if they do will give it a go..:dontknow:

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Hey Dan!!
It stopped the Squeals; just like you said it would! :bowdown:
But the screams are back... :yikes:

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 05:49 PM
You can also give the leading edges of the pads a slight bevel; sll it takes, is a file and some time! :thumbup:

bruiser
10-17-2014, 06:12 PM
What are these "brakes" you speak of?

BajaRon
10-17-2014, 06:14 PM
WD-40 will stop the brake squeal. But so will removing the calipers!

You might try some Berryman's B-12 Chemtool on your otherwise (Ruined) brake pads. It is not likely that the tire wet penetrated them. Probably just coated them with a film that is hard to remove. If that doesn't work try a bit of Chemtool and 400 grit sand paper on them. It's a shame to throw them away.

http://ecdn.liveclicker.net/0079A8/cdn/images/client/965/products/96032122

Dan_Ashley
10-17-2014, 06:20 PM
The issue here was not brake squeal, but how I ruined the brake pads with tire shine sprayed onto the rotors.

Roadster Renovations
10-17-2014, 07:48 PM
My brakes squeal like a little girl. May try the bevel edge on them. Good tip! Also, good tip on the chemicals on the rotors.
I had to repair a brake job that a not-so-knowledgeable shade tree did. Instead of replacing the rotors or having them turned, he put dings all over the surface of the rotor on both sides. Guess it was his idea of something like vented rotors, instead he did dented.....True story!
One more and then I'm done.
30 years ago I worked at a JC Penny Auto Center and one night about 1/2 an hour before closing this young blond pulled up and tried to stop making the most terrible sounds you have ever heard. We ask her how long it had been making noise and she said probably a couple of months. She though she had better get it looked at now since the brakes don't really work at all now.
We put it on the lift (this was a VW Rabbit with a non-vented rotor) and when we could see we saw two rotor rings resting on the 1/2 shafts, completely cut through and loose. Worse I ever saw.
She really griped when she found out she would have to leave it overnight. Some people..........

Sorry to temporarily hijack the thread, but when I remember a story like that from my past I better repeat it or it will soon fade away again into the fog of older age.....

BajaRon
10-17-2014, 08:20 PM
The issue here was not brake squeal, but how I ruined the brake pads with tire shine sprayed onto the rotors.

I understand. But I think you can resurrect those pads with Chemtool.

DrewNJ
10-17-2014, 08:54 PM
I've gotten tire foam on my rotors before on just about every vehicle I've owned. Just do some good panic stops and heat em' up good and you'll be fine.

BajaRon
10-17-2014, 09:11 PM
I've gotten tire foam on my rotors before on just about every vehicle I've owned. Just do some good panic stops and heat em' up good and you'll be fine.

:agree:

The only reason I recommend the Chemtool first is to speed up the process. Not having much brake until you get the chance to heat up the pads can be scary!

jScotD
10-17-2014, 10:09 PM

Desert Spyder
10-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Many solvents do resolve noise and tight joints but they attract dust which essentially becomes sandpaper destroying moving parts in time. Spyders have been squeakin and squealin since they were first made and they always will. You can lessen the noise but it is rare to get rid of it.

ulflyer
10-18-2014, 07:25 AM

Good tip Dan. I've sprayed mine a time or two with no issues, but obviously I was lucky. I'll go with spraying on a sponge and wiping on from now on. Thanks. :)

PMK
10-18-2014, 12:59 PM
WD40 on brake discs...seen it done before. Some of the bicycle riders are an odd bunch and any noise drives them insane...squeaky brake, lube it, never said they were friends or smart. They do make things spectacular though.

Spyder brakes squeak, bicycle brakes squeak, normally it's just dust and I don't get work up over it.

PK

delkhouri
08-10-2020, 10:34 AM
My brakes are squeeking pretty bad. When you apply brakleen do you need to take the wheels off and brakes apart to donut properly?

BajaRon
08-10-2020, 04:28 PM
My brakes are squeeking pretty bad. When you apply brakleen do you need to take the wheels off and brakes apart to donut properly?

I think there are instructions on the can. But you do not have to disassemble anything. Spray each side of the rotor as you spin the wheel. The brakekleen will get wiped off on to the pad material this way. This may not resolve your problem. But it is a good place to start.

Motorcycledave
08-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Hi Bob
Glad to see you back, GOT BACON ?

Hey Dan!!
It stopped the Squeals; just like you said it would! :bowdown:
But the screams are back... :yikes:

Motorcycledave
08-10-2020, 05:33 PM
Hey a little cup grease will STOP the squeek... but not the Spyder

I think there are instructions on the can. But you do not have to disassemble anything. Spray each side of the rotor as you spin the wheel. The brakekleen will get wiped off on to the pad material this way. This may not resolve your problem. But it is a good place to start.

Peter Aawen
08-10-2020, 05:40 PM
It always pays to check the date on earlier posts, as well as the last one in the thread.... :oldpost:

Posting in old threads is not necessarily a bad thing per se, especially if it's following on from the earlier discussion &/or keeping all the knowledge/info/advice on the subject in the one place, making it easier for later searchers/seekers of advice to find, but Dave, everything before post #23 in this thread (ie, about 4 up) is almost 6 years old, and that means Bob last posted in this thread almost 6 years back, so I don't really think he's going to reply here, now or in the future.... :dontknow:

But did you mention BACON?? :ohyea: :thumbup: