PDA

View Full Version : Another disappointing model year

aka1004
10-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Same rs with ugly colors added, another new model I don't like...
If you like F3, good for you but it's just not for me. I don't like the look and I hate the ryding position.
I guess there is always next year but I wonder if rs is being faded out. 8 years old, not much cosmetically change...

Chupaca
10-16-2014, 10:09 AM
like you say..maybe next year. But I don't think they will drop the RS from the line up. They sell well and as the younger crowds move in it will be the most affordable. It will become that entry level unit they keep talking about. Now with a beefier twin....wow..!! :thumbup:

BikerDoc
10-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Its hard to satisfy everyone and I can easily understand that you won't be the only RS ryder to be unhappy. My best guess is that you will see a significant update in the RS in model year 2015, especially if the "clown colors - pardon me but that is my opinion) aren't sufficient to attract the younger ryding crowd.. For the other side of the coin I have heard a number of people say they love the new colors....

Bob Denman
10-16-2014, 10:26 AM
:agree:

Saluda
10-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Agree with the ugly colors comments.

PW2013STL
10-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Look on the positive side. You get another year to save for that replacement :clap:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-16-2014, 12:26 PM
If you like F3, good for you but it's just not for me. I don't like the look and I hate the ryding position.
I guess there is always next year but I wonder if rs is being faded out. 8 years old, not much cosmetically change...
:gaah:...You HATE all 20 riding positions of the F-3 ...........That's a lot of HATE...:lecturef_smilie:...:roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack:..............just sayin.......Mike :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
10-16-2014, 12:31 PM

I want to ride the F3 before I condemn it.

Saluda
10-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Look on the positive side. You get another year to save for that replacement :clap:

I think I'll need more than one year.

ARtraveler
10-16-2014, 01:12 PM
The upside. If one really really wants to have some type of two or three wheeled conveyance, the market is currently bursting with options.

Most of us are a bit biased here about the :spyder2:. But I don't feel I would be stuck without a ride if :ani29:'s were not available.

Bob Denman
10-16-2014, 01:37 PM
:gaah:...You HATE all 20 riding positions of the F-3 ...........That's a lot of HATE...:lecturef_smilie:...:roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack:..............just sayin.......Mike :thumbup:
Mike,
They mentioned the five different length rods for the brake linkage... (SE-6 models..)
I smell a challenge for MikeGuyver; how many custom-length rods will you be making? :D

JerryB
10-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Hi 1004,

Re: ugly colors

First: To each his own.

I've been thinking about this whole color thingy for some time. Why doesn't BRP just have the dealers stock each plastic panel in a number of colors. Then when you order your Spyder ( or buy a used one ) you just tell the dealer what color panel you want where. They are rather easy to remove/install.

Simple solution and works for the Smart cars. Although, I don't think the Smart car dealers stock the panels.

Thoughts?????

Jerry Baumchen

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Mike,
They mentioned the five different length rods for the brake linkage... (SE-6 models..)
I smell a challenge for MikeGuyver; how many custom-length rods will you be making? :D................................................ ..................Bob you are forgetting all the possible HANDLEBAR changes/choices this has to be in the equation.....20 may be a low number actually

Colin
10-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Hi 1004,

I've been thinking about this whole color thingy for some time. Why doesn't BRP just have the dealers stock each plastic panel in a number of colors. Then when you order your Spyder ( or buy a used one ) you just tell the dealer what color panel you want where. They are rather easy to remove/install.

Simple solution and works for the Smart cars. Although, I don't think the Smart car dealers stock the panels.

Thoughts?????

Jerry Baumchen

Great idea in theory, but you would be lucky to find a dealer to carry extra panels, as the cost would be too
great to cover the whole range, and if one colour doesn't sell, they are stuck with it. It would work if BRP
supplied the parts to dealers on consignment and dealer pays as they use them. But I don't think BRP would
do it.

otter28169
10-16-2014, 04:03 PM

It stinks when people tell you to get over it, it is even worse when they do so because they have what they want. I feel your pain.

Just sayin'.................

dndfindley
10-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Impossible to change the riding position of the F3 to one similar to that of the RS and that is the point of contention. The F3 is a cruiser and will never be able to hang with an RS in the twisties.

spyder3
10-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Hi 1004,

Thoughts?????

Jerry Baumchen

Ship the bikes to dealers bare bones, have all the colors in stock and you then lose no sales due to not having the color a customer wants. So if you stock 30 bikes, you can offer how ever many colors there are. BRP stocks dealers on consignment with the panels.

Bob Denman
10-16-2014, 04:49 PM
It stinks when people tell you to get over it, it is even worse when they do so because they have what they want. I feel your pain.

Just sayin'.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-fkSYDtUY

JkRbbt
10-16-2014, 10:22 PM
:agree:

That's not an original quote, Bob! The Chicago Cubs have been using it for YEARS!!!! :D

Dragonrider
10-16-2014, 10:43 PM
I don't condem the F3, or RS, or RSS either. Some folks actually like them. None of them will replace the RT for functionality and 2 up comfort. The whole thing about this model year, is expanding the appeal. There will be some that will go to look at the F3, who never had an interest in our Spyders. Personally, I don't even have an interest in sitting on a F3 - it offers zero functionality for me.

However, there are those who just want a toy....

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 06:49 AM
That's not an original quote, Bob! The Chicago Cubs have been using it for YEARS!!!! :D

:D I never said, that I was capable of independent and creative thought... :D

A Cubs Fan, huh...
Remember 1969??? :roflblack:

PMK
10-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Mike,
I smell a challenge for MikeGuyver; how many custom-length rods will you be making? :D

Bob, FWIW, I suspect the pegs are "keyed" into the frame in one of the positions. Yes they slide, but I speculate they are also locked. to prevent the pegs from drooping or accidentally moving while riding.

The smart design guy would have made a telescopic rod that accommodates all peg positions with one part.

Since the rod sees only tension, a tube in tube design with blts in shear and locknuts would have worked well.

BRP may be trying capture the custom fit at additional cost. Various bars, various fits, all badged as "customized"

I keep pretty quiet about the F3, certainly many will like and love it. I hope it is all they say, but really, for me, I just turn the page.

PK

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 07:26 AM
;) I figured that if his creative mind got a jumpstart on the situation; he'd work up something interesting... :D

retired1
10-17-2014, 07:35 AM
As I understand it, the pegs can bolt into the frame in 5 different positions.:dontknow:

billrob71
10-17-2014, 08:24 AM
I just got my bike a little over a year ago and not really ready for a new one yet but a bigger power plant in a new RS could sway a up grade

Color for the 2015 RSS are a complete JOKE . Introduced a new bike for this year , RT got a complete overhaul last year, ST introduced only 2 years ago so understand why there is no changes there but the RS has essentially been unchanged since it's introduction other then some basic bolt on part change and a little different power curve , not anymore power just when the horsepower and torque curve start , with a less horsepower rating .

Talking to the dealer he said not even gonna order a RSS just due to the clown colors, didn't want it to sit there for more then a year.

billrob71
10-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Hi 1004,

Thoughts?????

Jerry Baumchen

Think this is a GREAT idea , but for the. 15 RSS the color choice is not even a possible consideration , think I rather ride it naked

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Think this is a GREAT idea , but for the. 15 RSS the color choice is not even a possible consideration , think I rather ride it naked

Billy,
I'm sure that you're a handsome guy, and the envy of the other Husbands in your neighborhood; but please don't do that... :shocked:

billrob71
10-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Billy,
I'm sure that you're a handsome guy, and the envy of the other Husbands in your neighborhood; but please don't do that... :shocked:

Naked spyder Bob not a Naked me :lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 08:55 AM
:D Just making sure...
After all; Halloween is coming! :roflblack:

billrob71
10-17-2014, 08:59 AM
:D Just making sure...
After all; Halloween is coming! :roflblack:

Yeah but my birthday already past so you have a year to prepare:D

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 09:04 AM
:D Mine too! :D
But I'm all set, for NEXT year already! 97114
Now; if somebody could just push me through the door... :roflblack:

sledmaster
10-17-2014, 09:25 AM
On the F3, how do you know you won't like it until you try it?

I was very anti-cruiser in my mind, I KNEW I wouldn't like it. I didn't even want to like it. That's like going back to a 1995 MX Z in the snowmobile world, ick. I KNEW it would make it corner poorly sitting down and back like that.

But then I rode a couple of F3s, for two days, for 250 miles. I am proof that you should forget what you think you know and trust your butt. Try it before you discount it. If you have not ridden one then you should bite your tongue. The whole dynamic of how you hang onto the Spyder changes with the lower cg. You counter the lateral cornering forces far more with your legs and less with your arms. The sensation of getting thrown off the Spyder as you go around a corner is greatly minimized. I found this to be a profound difference. And I am NOT a cruiser rider, but one can not deny how the F3 feels and handles. With the rider's cg closer to the vehicle's roll center the lateral cornering forces are much less, so the rider feels far more stable. Instead of having to hang on with your arms, you hang on more with your legs so your arms are free for steering. The machine isn't nearly as twitchy, doesn't wander as much, far more predictable. First-time riders won't bitch and complain about how scary it is to ride a Spyder like they do now.

All I say is try one before thinking you know how it works and then decide for yourself. No, wait, do NOT ride an F3 unless you are prepared to buy one, because it might really bum you out if you ride one and can not buy it. I am dead serious here. When I got home and rode my ST-S after riding the F3, I was bummed. Now I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the GS and ST-S I have here before everyone figures out what the F3 rides like, because the used market will get loaded up and their values will go down even more.

RS & ST awful colors - there is quite a bit of carry over inventory right now of these models, so it is logical to make the 2015s a totally different color to attract different buyers. And, the belief is that the F3 will cannibalize a fair number of potential RS & ST buyers once people ride them and figure out how different it truly is. I am almost embarrassed to admit it, because I was so anti-cruiser and anti F3 when I first saw it. Ride it for yourself, then decide, you owe yourself the opportunity IMO.

IrishGator
10-17-2014, 09:42 AM
I had the opportunity to get close last night in Daytona. I must say that my initial knee jerk reaction to the F3 was changed after putting hands on. I will be riding tomorrow morning. Although, due to the twin fans, the front trunk space is dramatically smaller. Although I overall like the F3, the loss of space may be that deciding factor. It barely holds a single helmet. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 10:00 AM
We'll be awaiting your, "Report From The Saddle". :thumbup:

aka1004
10-17-2014, 11:52 AM
If You Have Not Ridden One Then You Should Bite Your Tongue.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

I don't have to bite s#@#...

This post was about MY disappointment not anybody else's
I couldn't careless what your background is or what your riding impression is. I am just not gonna sit like that when I am riding.

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 12:03 PM
:shocked: Too much coffee?? :shocked:
BRP never planned to make every bike, the PERFECT bike; for everybody...
Ride what you like! :thumbup:

aka1004
10-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Ride what you like! :thumbup:

If he had stopped at posting his opinion on F3, I would not even have replied.

RotaxDuramax
10-17-2014, 06:45 PM
I really can't tell what BRP is trying to do with the RS with this line up this year.

Don't give me wrong, I love my RS, but I like my dad's RT just as much... hell, I'll be happy with anything with wheels.

If they are trying to attract younger buyers, they need price at or below $10,000.

OJ UK
10-18-2014, 11:31 AM
The F3 is a cruiser and will never be able to hang with an RS in the twisties.

Both Lamont and Len from Pit Bull will probably disagree with that. It may be being billed as a Cruiser/HotRod

but it has a lower CoG and more useable torque and low down power so there is no reason that it won't keep up with

an RS through a set of bends.;)

DrewNJ
10-18-2014, 02:30 PM
From what I'm reading the seat is 2.3" lower. With your legs pointing out in front of you.

DrewNJ
10-18-2014, 02:45 PM
And the f3 is also 1/2" narrower and 1" shorter in length from what I'm reading.

ttc
10-18-2014, 03:07 PM
I'm with the original poster in all but one respect, I like the blue 2015 RS-S color :)

No offence to the RT riders, but they're too 'grandpa' for me, I like the riding position of the RS-S (I am over 40 btw :D )

I would never buy a F3, not a cruiser person whatsoever, no way would I have a bike that you have the pegs out in front like that, I've looked and even on the furthest back position it's still a cruiser riding position. I like the look of the bike, I was very disappointed to see that they'd set it up like that, therefore I have no interest in test riding one.
But this is MY personal opinion, if we weren't all different they would only need to make one spyder model :)

IrishGator
10-18-2014, 06:08 PM
So, Thursday went to Daytona and no rides available for the F3. Was told to come back Saturday and would be plenty of time to ride. Got there today at approx. noon and guess what? No rides available! The excuse was that all the slots had been reserved. Are you freaking kidding me? Why not tell me that we could schedule on Thursday. Well BRP, guess you lose this possible sale. Keep your F3. Considering trading out all together now.

Deanna777
10-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Ride what you like! :thumbup:Bob: :agree: ride the bike that you like and can you can afford. Deanna:ohyea:

ARtraveler
10-18-2014, 06:31 PM
So, Thursday went to Daytona and no rides available for the F3. Was told to come back Saturday and would be plenty of time to ride. Got there today at approx. noon and guess what? No rides available! The excuse was that all the slots had been reserved. Are you freaking kidding me? Why not tell me that we could schedule on Thursday. Well BRP, guess you lose this possible sale. Keep your F3. Considering trading out all together now.

Seems they could have made room for one more. I would have told them they were losing a sale because of this.

chuck gross
10-18-2014, 07:14 PM
I think that BRP should apply the gas tank in front of the seat instead of under to the other models to get the lower center of gravity working across the board it would have been quite easy to have done this for the 2015 model line as well as a more powerful motor in the RS.
I think that we might see this change in :ani29: design for 2016.

IrishGator
10-18-2014, 07:48 PM
@ akspyderman- We did tell them that we are buying and that the ride in Daytona was the deciding factor. It was my wife's only chance to ride. Didn't matter to them. They would rather give the rides to would be "let's just check it out people instead of actual Spyder riders and people serious about buying.

tommyoneleg
10-18-2014, 08:28 PM
They need to make a real sport model with more HP and lighter. Love my 09 now that I added HP and took a lot off the bike but they need a real factor sport model, they have all the cruising models. Every bike company has them, they have a chance but soon competition will be coming and they will be sorry. Just my opinion from the other side of riding.

Bob Denman
10-19-2014, 07:54 AM
I think that BRP should apply the gas tank in front of the seat instead of under to the other models to get the lower center of gravity working across the board it would have been quite easy to have done this for the 2015 model line as well as a more powerful motor in the RS.
I think that we might see this change in :ani29: design for 2016.

I'm not an engineer...
But hanging a fuel tank that high on the chassis; might not have allowed the seating position, to be lo9w enough to really affect the center of gravity all that much...
It's just an opinion; but I think that it was moved solely for the purpose of changing the seating position.

Do we have any experts in here, that can provide some useful data? :dontknow:

(Besides; I'm also the guy who drips fuel all over an exposed tank... making it look pretty awful! :opps:)

Flanker
10-20-2014, 08:06 AM

Roger, roger! :agree:

Art Mann
10-20-2014, 09:01 AM
I have been through Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) many, many times. The fastest time I ever saw through that 11 miles was a guy on a yellow Goldwing. There was and may still be a video on Youtube somewhere that he shot. He used to ride behind other bikers and shoot video of them for money. So far as I know, he never lost anyone. Skill trumps equipment every time unless you are in that very small elite group of expert riders. I expect Lamont remembers who I am talking about.

Both Lamont and Len from Pit Bull will probably disagree with that. It may be being billed as a Cruiser/HotRod

but it has a lower CoG and more useable torque and low down power so there is no reason that it won't keep up with

an RS through a set of bends.;)

Lamonster
10-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Impossible to change the riding position of the F3 to one similar to that of the RS and that is the point of contention. The F3 is a cruiser and will never be able to hang with an RS in the twisties.

I'll take that bet. The F3 will smoke the RS in the twisties. I've owned them all and I know what speed I can run before the nanny kicks in and I'm running way past those speeds now with the F3. The fact that you're sitting in the bike and not on it is what makes the biggest difference.

flaggerphil
10-20-2014, 11:16 AM
I was up in Daytona last Friday and got to sit in the F3 (and also meet Lamont). While I didn't have a chance to ride it I was EXTREMELY impressed with the ergonomics of the bike...it felt great. I especially like that you can adjust the bars and pegs to suit your height. That being said, I DID move from a cruiser to my RT 3 years ago and I prefer the cruiser seating. But I don't know if I can live with the lack of storage on the F3, even with the tour pack.

I'll probably set up an actual ride with my local dealer later in the fall/winter.

aka1004
10-25-2014, 07:17 PM
this was about my disappointment with the LOOK and riding position of F3 and also look of ST, not the performance.
come on~~~ 2016^^

after 4 years of love and hate relationship with my rs with 60000 miles and 16 month of shop time( yes 16 month, spyder in shop) i finally got rid of my rs and have been wating for the next big thing for 2015 but my wait continues...

when asked about what i thought about spyder, i've always told them its the best ride ever when its not in shop :)

Bob Denman
10-26-2014, 07:59 AM
"Shop Time"... :gaah:
We once had a snowmbile like that: a 1973 Skiroule RTW... (Wankel-powered)
It was a lightfoot climbing fool; but for every hour that we rode it, we probably spent two hours fixing something.
The slide suspension broke in half... not across it; the LONG way!
The steerinbg stem pivot tore loose from the chassis
The primary clutch quit shifting while a buddy was riding it. He revved it to over 10,000 rpm and it blew up...

This would be a normal season's kind of carnage with it.
When it did run; it was marvelous! :D

Sorry that this year isn't scratching your itch; let's all hope that next year does! :2thumbs:

spyder3
10-26-2014, 08:42 AM
this was about my disappointment with the LOOK and riding position of F3 and also look of ST, not the performance.
come on~~~ 2016^^

after 4 years of love and hate relationship with my rs with 60000 miles and 16 month of shop time( yes 16 month, spyder in shop) i finally got rid of my rs and have been wating for the next big thing for 2015 but my wait continues...

when asked about what i thought about spyder, i've always told them its the best ride ever when its not in shop :)

16 months.....holy mackerel......Hopefully something comes along to tickle your fancy soon.