PDA

View Full Version : Asking for your Opinion

remark2013
10-16-2014, 07:47 AM
I'm taking my RT-LTD in for some warranty repair work and I asked the Service Writer about a slight "Pull to the right" that I notice at highway speeds. Right away he told me it was " the crown of the road" and perfectly normal? Does this sound correct?

Seems to me if that was the case, wouldn't our vehicles do the same thing?

Ride safe all, Kent.

Bob Denman
10-16-2014, 08:07 AM
That can certainly be the cause of it... :shocked:
You don't notice it as much in a car due to their extra weight.

Try experimenting in an open parking lot; see if your bikes pulls to the right, where no crown in present...

Marker
10-16-2014, 08:35 AM
:agree: But my 2010 spyder did the same thing and I had a laser alignment done and I noticed the difference right away,its the best money I have spent on my spyder so far. Spyder alignment was out a 1/8"
Get a laser alignment done ,you will not regret it at all.

Here is a link that explains laser alignment by Lamont http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?58528-Lamonster-Garage-Laser

remark2013
10-16-2014, 09:07 AM
The thing is I do not notice any drifting to the right on surface streets, only on the highways at speed. I very much would like to have a Lazer alignment done, however there is no one in the state of New Mexico that does them and the closest one is at least 300 mi away. Hoping sometime this spring we can get one of the traveling alignment people to stop by the Duke City.:yes:

Ride safe, Kent.

bluestratos
10-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Mine pulled to the right and while it is impossible to set the steering to cover every road type (if you in the left lane on the freeway for example) mine proved to be off and was corrected by the laser alignment. It is money well worth spent since they come from the factory incorrectly set most of the time.

Chupaca
10-16-2014, 09:25 AM
get in touch with squared away out of nevada. If you find a few others wanting laser alignments done they will come there and fix you all up. You could also check and see where they are going next could beclose to you.
It does depend on the road construction. If you can see the crown you will notice the pull otherwise it should be very slight. Have them check your balance and tire wear while they have it. Tires and balance are more noticable at speeds...:thumbup:

BajaRon
10-16-2014, 09:35 AM
I know I'm going to get some flack for this but....

Here is an easy, and potentially DANGEROUS way to check. :yikes:

If you can find a good, long straight stretch of road (where your Spyder is pulling to the right), with no law enforcement present. Simply move into the oncoming lane (assuming no other vehicles on the road, of course). If it is road crown and your Spyder is properly aligned, you will get the same amount of pull to the left. And yes, I've done this myself. Do I recommend it? Of course not! But it is an option.

My feeling is the Dealer is just telling you what comes easiest and gets you off their back. Without checking your alignment they have NO CLUE as to why it is pulling to the right.

Bottom line, get a laser alignment. Sounds like a hurdle in your situation. But this is the only effective way to settle the matter.

Dan McNally
10-16-2014, 09:41 AM
get in touch with squared away out of nevada. If you find a few others wanting laser alignments done they will come there and fix you all up. You could also check and see where they are going next could beclose to you.
It does depend on the road construction. If you can see the crown you will notice the pull otherwise it should be very slight. Have them check your balance and tire wear while they have it. Tires and balance are more noticable at speeds...:thumbup:

:agree: . . . Last January, thanks to a proactive member of the Spyder Ryder of America, Old Dominion Chapter, Lamont and Harvey Clark came to Virginia and aligned over twenty Spyders for us . . . you just need to find out how many folks it will take to get someone to come to you, then you start recruiting folks to get an alignment. They just need a place with a flat concrete floor to do the work. It will be the best money you've spent . . .

Bob Denman
10-16-2014, 09:51 AM

If you can find a good, long straight stretch of road (where your Spyder is pulling to the right), with no law enforcement present. Simply move into the oncoming lane (assuming no other vehicles on the road, of course). If it is road crown and your Spyder is properly aligned, you will get the same amount of pull to the left. And yes, I've done this myself. Do I recommend it? Of course not! But it is an option.
:lecturef_smilie: Just don't get used to pretending that you're visiting the British countryside... :shocked:

remark2013
10-16-2014, 11:25 AM
I know I'm going to get some flack for this but....

"My feeling is the Dealer is just telling you what comes easiest and gets you off their back. Without checking your alignment they have NO CLUE as to why it is pulling to the right".

Bottom line, get a laser alignment. Sounds like a hurdle in your situation. But this is the only effective way to settle the matter.

This is the whole reason I am asking the question!
Thanks to all who have responded, ride safe, Kent.

ARtraveler
10-16-2014, 01:49 PM
I agree with doing some "testing" to see if it is road crown and such.

I have noticed a bit more pull to one side or another on both my 2011 and 2014. The studded tires are back on here, and the grooves are starting to get dug into the road way again. Time to start avoiding the grooves as much as possible here. They repair the grooves about every other year. Next summer will be due again.

NM Wrench
10-16-2014, 08:50 PM
The thing is I do not notice any drifting to the right on surface streets, only on the highways at speed. I very much would like to have a Lazer alignment done, however there is no one in the state of New Mexico that does them and the closest one is at least 300 mi away. Hoping sometime this spring we can get one of the traveling alignment people to stop by the Duke City.:yes:

Ride safe, Kent.

I got a laser alignment done on our spyder this past summer as Fargaron Services was doing a lower 48 tour and was coming through Albuquerque. They are very nice people and I posted that they were coming if anyone here wanted it done to let me know. Sorry

SpyderAnn01
10-16-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm taking my RT-LTD in for some warranty repair work and I asked the Service Writer about a slight "Pull to the right" that I notice at highway speeds. Right away he told me it was " the crown of the road" and perfectly normal? Does this sound correct?

Seems to me if that was the case, wouldn't our vehicles do the same thing?

Ride safe all, Kent.

Kent, we would love yo make an alignment trip to the Land of Enchantment to get you squared away. Send me s private message and maybe we can work out a date