PDA

View Full Version : annybody switching for the f3

gabbman
10-15-2014, 01:37 AM
I am seriously considering the f3 . They are starting to grow on me

PistonBlown
10-15-2014, 03:01 AM
Unlike some I have no issues with the looks, always throught this filled the gap in their line-up and can see the attraction.

Personally I wouldn't want one as I prefer the riding position of the RS, I've made no changes to bars, pegs or seat as the stock riding position is just right for me. I must admit I also still prefer the RS' s utility appearance. So no I'd I'd not switch but I know why you and others may.

BikerDoc
10-15-2014, 06:26 AM
I am not switching per se but still see the F3 as an add to my stable

Lamonster
10-15-2014, 08:09 AM
I thought the ST was going to be the replacement for my GS/RS but it wasn't. The F3 is. :doorag:

flamingobabe
10-15-2014, 08:29 AM
I've got to see this F3 on the road for 6+ months....but am test riding Nov 6th.....excited

Jeffsm69
10-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Not in the cards for me, I have 4 more years on my current ST-Limited and honestly, the prices to build one like I want is over $34K and that's without a stereo, No Thanks

DrewNJ
10-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Nope, not making the switch. Just not enough of a performance move for me.

If any of you haven't spent any time with forward controls, you might want to do an extended test ride.... Forward controls can be good and bad... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
10-15-2014, 02:57 PM
I won't be making the switch. I am heavily invested in my RT's. I like the new style and the concept though. I will just sit back and enjoy the F3 through other's posts when they start hitting the road.

Was there a subliminal message in Lamonsters post about the GS/RS above? :roflblack:

bmccaffrey
10-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Am reserving my opinion till i test drive.

15 is going to be the year when i decide on the F3 or keep my RS which i've put lots of money for farkles
Or go to the RT (which my wife loves) :dontknow:

PistonBlown
10-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Nope, not making the switch. Just not enough of a performance move for me.

If any of you haven't spent any time with forward controls, you might want to do an extended test ride.... Forward controls can be good and bad... :thumbup:

I've had one cruiser with forward controls, a Suzuki Intruder. Liked the looks but couldn't get on the forward controls. Had that bike for 6 or 7 years but often opted to ride my Honda CD175 or Jawa 350 instead, neither of which would normally be peoples first choices:-)

As I said I think the F3 is the right choice for BRP and is going to bring in a lot more Spyder riders - hopefully the extra revenue will be spent on developing a bigger engined RS:-)

ZDarkman
10-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Never had forward controls but you would think that since you don't have to put your feet down or balance the bike, it would be a much better riding experience.

daveinva
10-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Never had forward controls but you would think that since you don't have to put your feet down or balance the bike, it would be a much better riding experience.

I tend to be opposed to motorcycle cruisers for the same reasons: slow-speed control, stability, and dear God, why do they all have to be so HEAVY?? But for the above, obvious reasons, I can't imagine any of those downsides of forward controls on two-wheels carries over to the three-wheeled Spyder, the F3 seating position really just providing more comfortable (for some) ergonomics.

No, my concern was the loss of the "sporty standard" seating position on the RS would be detrimental to weight-shifting on the Spyder, the surest way of wringing the best performance out of the twisties. I don't care all that much about 0-60 times on my RS, and top speed = what I'm comfortable defending before a judge. But twisty performance is the one area where I *won't* compromise.

However, all the early reviewers from those in the know attest that this is NOT the case-- and, surprisingly, the opposite is true: the cruiser position actually *improves* the Spyder's performance through corners.

Of course, I trust, but verify, so I'm looking forward to trying out the F3 myself. I'm still not sure I'd jump for one-- optioned out the way I'd want it, the price is VERY steep-- and, let's be honest: my gut still says BRP is going to offer something to refresh/replace the RS in the near-future, and that may ultimately be more my speed.

BUT, BRP had my curiosity... NOW, they have my attention. ;)

Michael211_2000
10-19-2014, 08:13 PM
The F3 doesn't appeal to me... tiny frunk (they might as well call it a "glove box") and I don't like that kind of riding position at all among other things. It has a retro look rather than a futuristic look, IMHO.

Burnt orange with black trim? Who's coming up with these new color schemes? :dontknow:

- Michael

hut1
10-19-2014, 09:33 PM
I'll check it out and consider replacing my vtx. Besides, the rs is really my daughter's now. I love the ride on the rs but my shoulders and back can only take moderate rides. I like the cruiser (vtx) and touring (Goldwing) positions, especially with a backrest. The F3 may be a good mix of all of them.

Flanker
10-20-2014, 08:09 AM
If it was a choice between the F3 and an alien abduction and all the usual abuse involved in that..................................I'd run with the abduction. ;)

xpbqn
10-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Only if it looks like this one

PistonBlown
10-22-2014, 04:00 AM
Only if it looks like this one

Yes but with twin exhausts exiting under the seat or lower down so you can move the pegs back to the RS position. Seat slightly higher. move the bars forward and down, ideally almost 'clip-on' style. small angular fairing....and you've got a 3 wheel version of the my old favourite the Suzuki Katana:

Slagiatt
10-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Deposit down on a Black F3-S and my GS is up for sale. Here's the Spyderlovers link

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?74488-Looking-For-Offers-Exceptional-09-GS-Loaded-Low-Mileage

Update: GS sold on Nov 7th....I'm temporarily spyderless... LINK DELETED
I am normally NOT a patient individual...this 4-month wait may be the end of me. :gaah:

SilverRyder
10-30-2014, 06:40 PM
I just don't get the pull to go to the F3...I know the looks are a little more aggressive...and the pedals are forward (pros and cons to this) but the power to weight ratio is not better than the rs/rss models at all... in fact they are worse. So there is no performance advantages (out of the box) to the F3 over the RS/RSS models... unless my math is incorrect....someone please explain why anyone would move to the F3 besides just aggressive styling (which isn't a whole lot)

Genet
10-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Placed my order and deposit today for the silver/black with red frame F3 S :yes::yes::yes:
dealer said maybe jan.or February. delivery.

GunDoctor
10-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Ordered F3-S in September. Been riding a Harley for the past 15 years, but neuropathy has made riding a hazard.

trekguy
11-02-2014, 07:40 PM
I like the fact that the F3 has the more efficient engine with less maintainence, but my RSS only has 1000 miles (in 5 weeks) so I am in no hurry to change. Plus, I have yet to even see an F3 in person, but I'll tell you this- I really dig the RSS agressively svelte look. Acceleration and cornering numbers would be interesting to compare.

Rayelljay
11-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Yes but with twin exhausts exiting under the seat or lower down so you can move the pegs back to the RS position. Seat slightly higher. move the bars forward and down, ideally almost 'clip-on' style. small angular fairing....and you've got a 3 wheel version of the my old favourite the Suzuki Katana:

Oh yes....one of the most comfortable bikes I had ever ridden. I've no doubt that some enterprising soul will come up with a "rear-set" rig to get the feet back under your rump.

Rockwall
12-16-2014, 05:22 PM
I think the F3 is really cool, but with my mods (and ones to come soon) I'm really happy with my RS!:doorag:

SPYD3R
12-16-2014, 05:26 PM
the F3 is starting to look better n better to me....
at first, i thought it looked like my John Deere lawn tractor.... but the more i look at this beast, the better it's looking....
who knows, maybe i'll have one in my MAN-CAVE in January.... but i'm keeping my perfectly grand '09 RS/SE5 also....
dp

PrairieSpyder
12-16-2014, 05:38 PM
It's also starting to look better to me, too. But I need a tourer. Now if they'd come out with an RT with the F3 forward controls and low seat . . . won't happen. Or if they come out with a trailer option for the F3 . . . then I might be in.

Over the next few years, we'll see how the F3 shakes out, what farkles BRP and the after-market come up with, etc. By the time I'm ready for a change, there might be a good used one around. Or I could spring for a good used one and keep my RTS, to boot! Yeah, that's the ticket!! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-16-2014, 05:39 PM
They sure do look much better; up close and personal! :thumbup:
Dan,
How serious are you about this? :dontknow:

Spyder Tony
12-16-2014, 07:09 PM
I put a deposit down on an F3-S. Problem is I can't see being without Charlotte (My '08 GS Premiere edition). If i kept my GS AND the F3, that would make us a 3 Spyder household including my gal's ST-L. Not to mention that I still owe many years on the ST-L. Considering that the GS is paid off, i'd still be footing the bill for 2 brand new Spyders...and that price tag is not cheap. As of right now, I will go through with the F3, keep the ST-L, and attempt to keep the GS as well...because she is my 1st Spyder-Love and I can't see being without her. In reality, i'll probably end up selling the GS due to the lack of garage space for a 3rd Spyder, if for no other reason. Saddens me just to think about it.

I have to say though that the F3 performance is more than my GS...even with the juicebox, Elkas all around, Leo Vince exhaust and K&N air filter. 2 test drives of the F3 in which i was allowed to ryde aggressively convinced me of this fact. The 1330 Ace in a body lighter than the RT does wonders for the F3's performance. I like the "relaxed Nanny" as well!

Yazz
12-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Spyder Tony,

Have the same situation as far as how to keep my GS with our other rides in a small space. Two two-wheelies and soon, two Spyders.

Have a two car garage and my car stays in the garage along with our toys. Going to put the GS in frontwards, the F3 in backwards snugging up to the GS. Hubby's BMW at the back next to the garage door. The Springer sideways in front of the GS.

Can't give up my GS. Too many miles, too many memories and it's paid for.

Mike,P
12-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Mine is supposed to be here in February and with the modifications I plan for it,, I think it'll be a great long distance ride for me and the wife.. The beauty of being able to take all the touring crap off to ride it around town is the reason for my switch... I don't want two Spyders..

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Spyder Tony,

Have the same situation as far as how to keep my GS with our other rides in a small space. Two two-wheelies and soon, two Spyders.

Have a two car garage and my car stays in the garage along with our toys. Going to put the GS in frontwards, the F3 in backwards snugging up to the GS. Hubby's BMW at the back next to the garage door. The Springer sideways in front of the GS.

It sounds as if it's time, for an addition to the garage... :thumbup:

den1953
12-17-2014, 09:57 AM
I can't commit to buying any vehicle without driving it first. Things are on hold in that regard for three reasons: 1. I wont be able until my knee is healed and properly loosened up with therapy sessions which will end by about mid January. 2. My dealer probably won't get one until January. 3. The winter weather here in NW Ohio will be bad by that time preventing any kind of riding period. That being said, I'll probably get that demo ride in April, then I can decide whether or not I want to buy one.

napper39
12-17-2014, 10:21 AM
i want one but i need to see how that can work out with the money thing,getting too many toys and not enough money:yikes:

Yazz
12-17-2014, 11:46 AM
It sounds as if it's time, for an addition to the garage... :thumbup:

It would be nice to add an addition to the garage but...

No can do. We live in a subdivision that has a Neighborhood Association. :shocked:

Have to work with what we have.

granpa in Cincy
12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Have to work with what we have.

Or move! :yes:

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Joy,
Can you go vertical? :dontknow:
Put in a lift, and store the bikes over top of the Spyder... :thumbup:

http://www.loft-it.com/

Spyder Tony
12-17-2014, 12:32 PM

Yazz...I totally agree with you. I can't believe I am contemplating selling a reliable, paid off Premiere Edition Spyder with many farkles for a new Spyder with a hefty monthly payment (In addition to the ST-L I am still paying on). Still working the logistics of how to keep them all. Guess I want to have my cake and eat it too!!!

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 01:10 PM
:shocked: :dontknow: Who can blame you for that?? :2thumbs:

Yazz
12-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Or move! :yes:

In Hubby's career we have owned 13 (my favorite number) houses in 30 something years. Tired of moving, love my home, love our neighbors, not moving.

Joy,
Can you go vertical? :dontknow:
Put in a lift, and store the bikes over top of the Spyder... :thumbup:

http://www.loft-it.com/

If you could see our garage, well it doesn't look as pristine as the video's. Shelves of chemicals and whatnots along one wall and different lengths of ladders on the other wall. Neat idea though...

At Spyder rallies have seen two Spyders parked in one parking spot. Rear wheel to rear wheel. It's doable. Two-wheelies don't take up much space.

Yazz...I totally agree with you. I can't believe I am contemplating selling a reliable, paid off Premiere Edition Spyder with many farkles for a new Spyder with a hefty monthly payment (In addition to the ST-L I am still paying on). Still working the logistics of how to keep them all. Guess I want to have my cake and eat it too!!!

I want my cake and eat it too, and I want you to have your cake to eat yours too!

Our garage has a three foot curb at the end of the garage. Maybe to keep a person from punching a hole in the sheetrock with their car? Don't know if you have the curb or not.

On the curb is where the Springer is going with the GS straight on snugged up to it. Thinking if you could get some Harbor Freight vehicle dollies...

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1500-lb-capacity-vehicle-dollies-67338.html

There are cheaper ones around, but hope you get the idea.

Maybe you could buy three, put the least ridden Spyder on it and turn it sideways to make more room?

Dragonrider
12-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Hope you love the F3 Yazz!.. It's not for me - I've got the RT dialed in for the long haul, and space saved in my garage for my RED Slingshot...

SPYD3R
12-18-2014, 09:15 PM
They sure do look much better; up close and personal! :thumbup:
Dan,
How serious are you about this? :dontknow:

very
dp

Yazz
12-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Hope you love the F3 Yazz!.. It's not for me - I've got the RT dialed in for the long haul, and space saved in my garage for my RED Slingshot...

There's something for everybody. Different strokes for different folks. Whatever makes you happy is the thing you need.

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 08:07 AM
very
dp

Cool... :2thumbs:
Think "Sports car", and that'll get you in the proper frame of mind for them! nojoke

den1953
12-19-2014, 08:41 AM
The two things about the F3 that appeal to me are: 1. The foot forward cruiser riding position and lower seat height that goes with it. 2. The 1330 Ace motor with six speed gearbox which is proven to be more efficient and while it has no peak horsepower advantage over the 990 twin it does have a much nicer spread of torque over a broader rpm range. Two things that don't appeal to me are: 1. Lack of space in the frunk, not a deal killer but leads to having to add saddlebags and maybe a topcase which cost extra. 2. The no trailer allowed restriction which would make packing for a long trip with a passenger difficult if not impossible. I consider adding a windshield less of a negative as I usually change windshields on bikes that already have them.

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 09:02 AM
If storage capacity for extended trips is an issue; perhaps an RT would better suit your needs... ;)

den1953
12-19-2014, 11:44 AM
The storage on the RT is second to none and definitely hits it comfort-wise in everything but legroom for me. Highway pegs do a lot to alleviate that issue but the only problem with them is in covering the brake pedal. The second or whatever it takes to move your foot from the highway peg to the brake pedal could mean several dozen to maybe over 100 feet to get stopped depending on your speed. That brings up the ISCI hand brake, which I feel should be there if highway pegs are used. Between that and a BajaRon anti-sway bar the RT could be made near perfect for me. The F3, on the other hand has the footrest postion already there, no hand brake needed although floorboards would allow more room to move my feet around than on pegs which lock your legs into a fixed position. So in adding floorboards, a windshield, saddlebags and maybe a trunk I would be at or above the cost of an RT-S and well above a base RT. Cost-wise yes an RT would fill the bill much better as a two up tourer. My riding is about 75% solo and about 90% local rides within a 40 to 50 mile radius. Long trips two up just do not occur much at all. Maybe an RT would change that and maybe it wouldn't, depends on the wife. For the vast majority of my riding miles an F3 would work just fine, maybe without the floorboards or the trunk. There again, cost will be a major factor in deciding between the two, but only after I demo ride an F3.

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 12:03 PM
:shocked: You are sure going to have to do some serious head-scratching...
Good Luck sorting all of it out! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
12-19-2014, 03:18 PM
The storage on the RT is second to none and definitely hits it comfort-wise in everything but legroom for me. Highway pegs do a lot to alleviate that issue but the only problem with them is in covering the brake pedal. The second or whatever it takes to move your foot from the highway peg to the brake pedal could mean several dozen to maybe over 100 feet to get stopped depending on your speed. That brings up the ISCI hand brake, which I feel should be there if highway pegs are used. Between that and a BajaRon anti-sway bar the RT could be made near perfect for me. The F3, on the other hand has the footrest postion already there, no hand brake needed although floorboards would allow more room to move my feet around than on pegs which lock your legs into a fixed position. So in adding floorboards, a windshield, saddlebags and maybe a trunk I would be at or above the cost of an RT-S and well above a base RT. Cost-wise yes an RT would fill the bill much better as a two up tourer. My riding is about 75% solo and about 90% local rides within a 40 to 50 mile radius. Long trips two up just do not occur much at all. Maybe an RT would change that and maybe it wouldn't, depends on the wife. For the vast majority of my riding miles an F3 would work just fine, maybe without the floorboards or the trunk. There again, cost will be a major factor in deciding between the two, but only after I demo ride an F3.

You have enough points in favor of both that you may need to do a coin toss, or play "dealer roulette." (Take the one the dealer has in the color you like best)?

Here are a few more, just to make your choice "easier." :roflblack:

:ani29:: The F3 is going to make those who buy it feel a bit "younger."

:ani29:: The price, if you don't go to farkle happy, will be a bit less. If you decide to "dude" it up, you can spend as much or more than an RT.

:ani29:: Do you want a Charger or a Cadillac?

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Jut for giggles; I went to BRP's website, and equipped an F-3 for touring... ;)
I got to $29,100 dollars or so, and had to quit... :shocked:

ARtraveler
12-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Jut for giggles; I went to BRP's website, and equipped an F-3 for touring... ;)
I got to $29,100 dollars or so, and had to quit... :shocked:

BRP did manage to HD or GW it with all the possible accessories. I would not play that game again either.

They do have some very "snazzy" stuff though. :yes::yes:

den1953
12-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Just for me the Blue Ridge windshield, passenger backrest & driver backrest as well as the saddlebags would make an F3 acceptable enough. That would be on an F3-S with SE6.

Spyder Tony
12-19-2014, 06:42 PM
:ani29:: Do you want a Charger or a Cadillac?

A Charger for me. In fact, a Hellcat edition Charger. Something about 707 horsepower makes me salivate. This is why I put a deposit down on the "Hellcat" of the Spyder lineup...that torque and power had me at "HELLO"...

hawkiii
12-19-2014, 07:11 PM
I've got to see this F3 on the road for 6+ months....but am test riding Nov 6th.....excited

You are really going to enjoy the ride. I remember you telling me I was going to like it... you were right. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it too. The throttle is a lot more touchy than the GS. Don't go burning up the back tire:D

latinojj
12-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Just wondering from those of you VERY lucky people who test drove the F3.. The governor still kick in around 10k RPM ? And /or ~Top speed ?

NM Wrench
12-23-2014, 06:58 PM
We test rode the F3 and put a deposit on a red F3S SE6 to arrive in January! We cannot wait to get her out on the road. What a big difference from the ST-L.

Topshotta
12-23-2014, 07:09 PM
For those of you who have tested out the F3, what is the MPG?

Bob Denman
12-24-2014, 08:37 AM
We test rode the F3 and put a deposit on a red F3S SE6 to arrive in January! We cannot wait to get her out on the road. What a big difference from the ST-L.

:congrats: :2thumbs:

Sempyder
02-23-2015, 12:23 AM
I sat on one and I am going to make the switch but hope to keep my 09 se5. Pretty upset the dealer wouldn't let me test drive in the middle of frigid -10 * 10in of fresh north mi snowstorm.

Sempert out,

rpatsh
02-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Test rode yesterday, very cold, but fun. I'm going to the bank today. there will be an F3 in my future!;););)

rditsch
02-23-2015, 11:01 AM
I test rode an F3 a month ago.

Mine is supposed to arrive this week. :thumbup:

I had a RT Limited and sold mine last week.

den1953
02-23-2015, 12:28 PM
It's 8 above zero Farenheit here, not very conducive to demo riding yet. The 2 week forecast has 48 degrees on March 9th but that's not very reliable when predicted that far ahead of time. I will get a demo on one whenever it decides to warm up enough. I will then have to see what I will be offered for my very nice 2012 Victory Cross Country. If the trade in sucks I'll try and sell it outright myself.

rditsch
02-24-2015, 11:07 PM
I test rode an F3 a month ago.

Mine is supposed to arrive this week. :thumbup:

I had a RT Limited and sold mine last week.

Its in in and and in the garage. Cold ride home but lots of fun:ohyea::yes:

one2doo
02-24-2015, 11:09 PM

:congrats:

MMMII
02-24-2015, 11:40 PM

Pics or it didn't happen!:clap:

rditsch
02-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Pics or it didn't happen!:clap:

Here's a couple of pictures from the 24th.

I installed the Blue Ridge windshield last night. I have heated grips, fog lights and Garmin 665 to go. The foot boards, saddle bags and backrests are still on order.

FYI just a little belt vibration on first 10 miles Later that evening, temp was 35 degrees, no vibration at 70 for 10 miles.

den1953
02-26-2015, 09:44 AM
The combination of black and chrome is classic for motorcycles and cars, it never gets old. One very sharp looking ryde you have there!!

MMMII
02-26-2015, 01:23 PM
The combination of black and chrome is classic for motorcycles and cars, it never gets old. One very sharp looking ryde you have there!!

Agreed, I'm just glad that I'm the one that doesn't have to keep it clean.. Nice ryde!