PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake Problems

Varge30
10-11-2014, 06:16 PM

I replaced the parking break cable on my wife's 2012 spyder RT sme5. The cable cost about $60. It only took me about 40 min to take apart and put back together. As you can see in the 4th pic, the cable became kinked and began to fray. It came off the front and back sprockets/pulleys. The cable is installed. The parking break works well. The only problem is that I am still receiving a failure code? the bike is out of warranty and I don't want them to charge me an arm and a leg. How do I reset the code? Does anyone know??

Chupaca
10-11-2014, 06:21 PM
did you remove the key and walk away from the unit for a spell..?? This allows the computer to reset and should remove the code to storage. You may want to check fluid levels as well. Others may know some trick, hang in there...:thumbup:

happyspyder2039
10-11-2014, 07:51 PM

I replaced the parking break cable on my wife's 2012 spyder RT sme5. The cable cost about $60. It only took me about 40 min to take apart and put back together. As you can see in the 4th pic, the cable became kinked and began to fray. It came off the front and back sprockets/pulleys. The cable is installed. The parking break works well. The only problem is that I am still receiving a failure code? the bike is out of warranty and I don't want them to charge me an arm and a leg. How do I reset the code? Does anyone know??
may be the brake switch on the front pulley is broke? I had the cable slip out of the front pulley causing the switch to break. It is put on by rivets.

Varge30
10-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Chupaca,
I did not try this, but I will.
happyspyder2039
I took apart the front pulley and cleaned it up. It takes a 15mm wrench to take off the front pulley. Be careful when you take it apart. The socket had rust on it behind the pulley which controlls the parking break pulley. The switch was fine no problems that I can see. They should have used brass or stainless steel, not cheap steel to make this sprocket. I removed all the rust on both gears and put Rustoleum paint on it. It will never rust again. And yes the cable was off the front pulley.
Thank you for your help.