PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't take much to be happy...

jthornton
10-10-2014, 05:29 PM
I was cleaning up around the shop and my neighbors yard the other day and hauling scrap to the scrap yard. After unloading my scrap I go into the pay office and there is a guy in line in front of me in a wheel chair. He is missing one leg from the knee down and looked pretty scrawny. The lady behind the glass turns around and says with a smile "Hi Mike, hows it going today?" He says it is going good and hands her the ticket. She calculates the total and says "That will be 123 Mike" I'm thinking he must have been with a friend to haul in $123 dollars worth of scrap copper or cans. Then the lady behind the glass turns around and counts out his money... that's one and twenty three cents. I don't know what to think... he takes the money and tells her thanks and wheels himself out with a smile on his face. I cash in and get in my truck and head home and see him wheeling down the street in his wheel chair with a smile and $1.23 in his pocket. Just goes to show you don't need much to be really happy.
I just had to share this...

JT

Bob Denman
10-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks! :thumbup:
That story reminds me of when our Town-full of kids (All pretty much the same age...), would go scour the roadsides on our bikes; looking for soda bottles and cans to redeem...
We'd pool them all up, at the end of the day, and divide the proceeds! :D :2thumbs:

Two-cents for each can!

ChasCS
10-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Who would gather them for two cents?

oh yeah, this is a thindime Canadian = 2cents American... ;-)

Chas

Bob Denman
10-10-2014, 05:51 PM
...I'm talking fifty years' ago...

Chupaca
10-10-2014, 05:52 PM
sadly we forget to grab those moments. That moment that bolt breaks loose or you finally get something done you've been working on for days. In his case making some money and feeling useful...:thumbup:

bruiser
10-10-2014, 06:55 PM
That's a great story JT.

ARtraveler
10-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Thanks for posting JT :thumbup::thumbup: