PDA

View Full Version : F3-S Touring Escape Package

Outporter
10-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Haven’t posted for quite some time, I do monitor the site on a regular bases, but I feel I need to share my experience with pricing on an F3-S.
Called my dealer for a quote on an F3-S with “Touring Escape Package”. Being a repeat customer I was given what I considered a good price on the base F3-S. However, I was shocked to learn that even though the upgrade to the touring model was advertised as a PACKAGE the pricing was based on the individual accessories and dealer installable (not factory) to booth. When all was said and done the cost of the "Touring Escape Package" equated to approx. 35% of the cost of the base F3-S. This is ridiculous and IMHO it is very misleading (sneaky even) to advertised this upgrade as a Package. Just my 2 cents worth.

ARtraveler
10-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Haven’t posted for quite some time, I do monitor the site on a regular bases, but I feel I need to share my experience with pricing on an F3-S.
Called my dealer for a quote on an F3-S with “Touring Escape Package”. Being a repeat customer I was given what I considered a good price on the base F3-S. However, I was shocked to learn that even though the upgrade to the touring model was advertised as a PACKAGE the pricing was based on the individual accessories and dealer installable (not factory) to booth. When all was said and done the cost of the "Touring Escape Package" equated to approx. 35% of the cost of the base F3-S. This is ridiculous and IMHO it is very misleading (sneaky even) to advertised this upgrade as a Package. Just my 2 cents worth.

You are the second person to post along these lines. I have tried to use the "built it yourself" part of the BRP website--but it wont work for me.

When you mention 35% more--are you saying about $6K additional above the base price? That is pretty hefty IMO.

Magdave
10-10-2014, 03:04 PM
I knew it was coming when you start buying like a Chinese dinner the different things add up fast. The base model holds no attraction for me but I bet the touring package will put it in RT price range. Not sure this is a good direction to head in.:dontknow:

BikerDoc
10-10-2014, 03:40 PM
When i priced mine (F3S) out using the build your own.. I got $27000 msrp so I tend to think our friend above has accurate info on his price estimates and I expect some disappointment at the price for the bike "the way you would like it" Sure hope there is something I am not seeing...

rpatsh
10-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I just did the build online and the accessories added about 7,500.00

ARtraveler
10-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Does it look like they are adopting the "HD Way?" :yes:

Outporter
10-10-2014, 03:45 PM
You are the second person to post along these lines. I have tried to use the "built it yourself" part of the BRP website--but it wont work for me.

When you mention 35% more--are you saying about $6K additional above the base price? That is pretty hefty IMO.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying but in my case it is 8,200+ as I'm dealing in $CDN.

ARtraveler
10-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying but in my case it is 8,200+ as I'm dealing in $CDN.

I did not intend to question your numbers--just was doing a "Wow, that's a lot extra" type of statement.

I had to change the resolution on my screen to get it to work. I played with the build it process. Just a couple things, and I was able to add almost $4K to the "basic" machine.

Bottom line--you can build it "your way" but you will pay for it. Welcome to the wonderful world of farkeling. nojoke

Outporter
10-10-2014, 04:44 PM
I did not intend to question your numbers--just was doing a "Wow, that's a lot extra" type of statement.

I had to change the resolution on my screen to get it to work. I played with the build it process. Just a couple things, and I was able to add almost $4K to the "basic" machine.

Bottom line--you can build it "your way" but you will pay for it. Welcome to the wonderful world of farkeling. nojoke

No problem, I didn't take as questioning my numbers. They do include all of the items listed as being part of the "Touring Escape Package" and I realize you can eliminate some of the items to get the price down a bit. My real concern is how can they list something as a package and then sell it piece meal. False advertising in my book.

Mike,P
10-10-2014, 05:31 PM
The only things I ordered up front are the guage spoiler, Blueridge windshield and the passenger backrest... So far there are many aftermarket luggage options that hold more,, so I will likely go that route.. Other things will be added as needed...

Chupaca
10-10-2014, 06:00 PM
they are getting out of hand on pricing the acc. I have thought they were always over priced and have gone aftermarket (also cashing in on brp pricing) or just making my own. Time will tell if this will hurt their sales on this new model...:dontknow:

Dragonrider
10-10-2014, 06:14 PM
But doesn't the new RT S have a MSRP of $30K???

SPYD3R
10-10-2014, 06:29 PM
ALTHOUGH i have zero interest in the SLINGSHOT, i'll be visiting my POLARIS dealer tomorrow to see 1st hand what this thing looks like.... i was told today that this vehicle comes in at just under $20K.... hopefully, this puts major pressure on BRP to get their prices inline with competitors.... i've ALWAYS thought that SPYD3Rs were somewhat over-priced....
dp

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-10-2014, 06:50 PM
they are getting out of hand on pricing the acc. I have thought they were always over priced and have gone aftermarket (also cashing in on brp pricing) or just making my own. Time will tell if this will hurt their sakes on this new model...:dontknow:
:agree:.....When I was looking to buy a new ( 2014 ) RT SE, I did the price checking thing and quickly realized that it wasn't going to happen if I wanted the S or LTD so I bought the Basic for # 21,340 and added my own floorboards, aux. LED fog /driving lights, and extra's that aren't stock or available on the S or LTD like super sound speakers, trl. hitch, highway pegs, cup holder, Cognac paint trim, Utopia backrest, Gas door, usable access for MP-3 player etc. and all of this only cost me $ 300...............I'm a Happy camper:yes::yes::yes:............Mike :thumbup:

SpyderRx
10-10-2014, 09:16 PM
I just happened to be at my dealer today and he showed me the price list for the touring escape package. Dealer cost is $4,795.00. Mark up is 35%. Brings it to a around 6,400.00

pauly1
10-10-2014, 10:49 PM
So I've scoured their web page but can't find reference to this 'package', or any other package in the video. I own a H-D, and while I appreciate their accessory catalog, BRP prices are nearly 2X of the motor company.

Wayne

bscrive
10-11-2014, 07:10 AM
When I did a pricing for the touring bike they show with the bags. I came up with a price of $33k. Then you have to add the tax and dealer installation not to mention if they charge freight and pdi. That is crazy. We only paid $17k for my wife's STL demo.

oldguyinTX
10-11-2014, 08:03 AM
One way or another, from expensive machines to buy, to wildly overpriced parts and accessories. An example: Next time you are at the dealer, just browse through the Can-Am gloves and look at the price tags. :yikes:Then look at the labels inside the gloves themselves to see where they were made. You got it - China! :hun:A pair of gloves that are sold for $118.00 maybe costs $15.00 to make. I'm no mathematician, but that is one heck of a markup. Back in the day, that used to be called "Price Gouging". Don't know what it's called now, although a few choice phrases come to mind, none of which can be used on this forum. If we want to ride Spyders - and there really is no alternative - we just have to grit our teeth and pony up the money. Think of it as spending a chunk of the kid's inheritance.

Olddood
10-11-2014, 08:30 AM
I too wanted the price for the Escape package. After pricing the accessory list and adding the F3-S machine. The price was higher than the RT-L and that did not include GPS, passenger heated grips, semi automatic trans. analogue gauges, etc........ Once you get done with that, you'll have to find room to store your three stock rims, seats, foot pegs........(you get the idea) Keep in mind the accessories do not include price for the installation which is extra. I for one do not like this new policy of advertising a package which is non existent. Brochure should read, F3-S priced at XX,XXX.xx, customizable to your liking at much extra cost. Just my 2 cents. While I'm at it, what chrome trim is included in the "S" package. Forgot to mention, no air shock on the rear either. At the end, when all is said and done and you want to trade, all the extras don't count because after all, it is just an F3-S... Escape package doesn't exist

Bob Denman
10-11-2014, 11:07 AM
:shocked: Whoever dreamed up this pricing strategy; should be towing a trail groomer in Northern Quebec this Winter...

...in his skivvies! :gaah:

rnet
10-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Look at it this way, if nobody buys, there will be big discounts in September 2015.

GunDoctor
10-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I have to agree. I just had my dealer send me an accessory catalog for 2015 which includes the F3. The prices are ridicules to say the least. I hope someone in this forum works for BRP who can explain the pricing. And I thought Harley Davidson was crazy.

den1953
10-12-2014, 05:39 AM
This F3 accessories pricing debacle is making me take a second look at the RT, especially unsold 2014 models which are being marked down. I can get a new 2014 RT-S SE6 for $23,500 plus tax & doc fees. That being said I can get that one with a decent trade-in for my current ride and have a low enough payment to live with as well as some cash for a Baja Ron sway bar and a set of Lamont's highway pegs.

otter28169
10-12-2014, 08:08 AM
One way or another, from expensive machines to buy, to wildly overpriced parts and accessories. An example: Next time you are at the dealer, just browse through the Can-Am gloves and look at the price tags. :yikes:Then look at the labels inside the gloves themselves to see where they were made. You got it - China! :hun:A pair of gloves that are sold for $118.00 maybe costs $15.00 to make. I'm no mathematician, but that is one heck of a markup. Back in the day, that used to be called "Price Gouging". Don't know what it's called now, although a few choice phrases come to mind, none of which can be used on this forum. If we want to ride Spyders - and there really is no alternative - we just have to grit our teeth and pony up the money. Think of it as spending a chunk of the kid's inheritance.

There is a small local leather shop that I have started doing business with here in central NY. The products are good and the customer service is excellent. I too noticed the made in tag and the ridiculous pricing,so I am supporting a smaller, and nearby, business now. Connecticut has a lot of great little shops and craftsmen, hopefully one of them can help you out. Until then "Old Guy", rubber down.....shiny side up. See you on the road.

Just sayin'............

Bob Denman
10-12-2014, 05:05 PM
This F3 accessories pricing debacle is making me take a second look at the RT, especially unsold 2014 models which are being marked down. I can get a new 2014 RT-S SE6 for $23,500 plus tax & doc fees. That being said I can get that one with a decent trade-in for my current ride and have a low enough payment to live with as well as some cash for a Baja Ron sway bar and a set of Lamont's highway pegs.
For the extra $3500; you DO get a whole lot more content! :2thumbs:

hchays
10-12-2014, 06:35 PM
The sad thing is everyone is posting about how ridiculously priced Spyders and BRP accessories are. Yet how many of these same people have already ordered a new F3? I agree with an earlier post that if you don't buy it the prices will come down. Untill people stop paying the prices the prices will continue to go up. I'd love to have a new F3, but it ain't gonna happen at these absolutely ridiculous prices. I also refuse to pay BRP their super inflated prices on accessories for my RS. I buy aftermarket or design and fabricate my own parts. The next "bike" I buy will either be a more reasonable priced Spyder or something from a different manufacturer.

ARtraveler
10-12-2014, 06:58 PM
The sad thing is everyone is posting about how ridiculously priced Spyders and BRP accessories are. Yet how many of these same people have already ordered a new F3? I agree with an earlier post that if you don't buy it the prices will come down. Untill people stop paying the prices the prices will continue to go up. I'd love to have a new F3, but it ain't gonna happen at these absolutely ridiculous prices. I also refuse to pay BRP their super inflated prices on accessories for my RS. I buy aftermarket or design and fabricate my own parts. The next "bike" I buy will either be a more reasonable priced Spyder or something from a different manufacturer.

Some people do like to be on the cutting edge with new. I did it in 2008 for a first year GS and again in 2010 for a premier edition RT-S. We did know what the price was going to be in those cases though.

The F3 pricing is a new situation, and the jury is still out on how successful the program is going to be, or how many "farkeled to the gills" machines are going to be out there when all is said and done.

It is interesting to see that there are a lot of people who are not pleased with the cost of some of the accessories, including some who already have an order in.

I like what I see, but the prices are a bit scary for me also.

rworell
10-13-2014, 07:31 AM
Well, I'm thinking that the base model + a windshield and I'll add my own side bags (not to worried about the look) cause I'll only use on a long cruise, won't cost to much at all. Ya BRP has us by our balls on the windshield or factory accesories, But my big question is.... is there that much difference in the two models (base vs Tour pkg) or is it really just farkles? To me I would buy the base and build, like Mike (Blueknight) did with his Base RT.

What do you all think???
Thanks
Rich

Outporter
10-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Some people do like to be on the cutting edge with new. I did it in 2008 for a first year GS and again in 2010 for a premier edition RT-S. We did know what the price was going to be in those cases though.

The F3 pricing is a new situation, and the jury is still out on how successful the program is going to be, or how many "farkeled to the gills" machines are going to be out there when all is said and done.

It is interesting to see that there are a lot of people who are not pleased with the cost of some of the accessories, including some who already have an order in.

I like what I see, but the prices are a bit scary for me also.

My problem is not so much with the pricing of the items (accessories) that make up the Touring Package, my problem is that an F3 model with the Touring Escape Package doesn’t exist as a factory option. Not saying I do, but if I wanted a bike with their Touring Escape Package I would have to pay for the base bike and then I would have to pay for the upgraded items (wheels, exhaust, seats, foot supports, etc), pay a dealer to remove the base items and install the upgraded items and I would end up with a bunch of parts I didn’t want to purchase in the first place. When I bought my RT Limited I didn’t have to purchase an RT and then purchase the upgraded items to make it a Limited, who knows maybe that will change as well.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Well, I'm thinking that the base model + a windshield and I'll add my own side bags (not to worried about the look) cause I'll only use on a long cruise, won't cost to much at all. Ya BRP has us by our balls on the windshield or factory accesories, But my big question is.... is there that much difference in the two models (base vs Tour pkg) or is it really just farkles? To me I would buy the base and build, like Mike (Blueknight) did with his Base RT.

What do you all think???
Thanks
Rich:ohyea: :agree:...Well I think you know what I think Rich :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.........And I wouldn't get the windshield immediately , are you familiar with the Madstadt (?) windshield set-up..............I think their's is adaptable to the F-3.....at a far lower cost..........JMHO.....Mike :thumbup:

rworell
10-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Mike I do know what you think. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: I still have my Madstadt from my GS. That would be awesome to be able to mount that on the F3 with you around my friend, I'm sure a little ride up to ya, we could find a way :roflblack:

I would just get the base period, it s how I buy all my rides and customize it as I go, my father has a complete machine shop in his basement with welder and such too. I could make anything! I made my hyway pegs for my GS and they looked factory new...

:ohyea: :agree:...Well I think you know what I think Rich :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.........And I wouldn't get the windshield immediately , are you familiar with the Madstadt (?) windshield set-up..............I think their's is adaptable to the F-3.....at a far lower cost..........JMHO.....Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-13-2014, 11:20 AM
If you two guys ever get together on a project... :shocked:

It'll be fun to watch!! :D

cptjam
10-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Looks like ala carte is insanely expensive and foolhardy. Yes, you can make an F3 tour. Better idea. Cruise an F3, tour an RT, sport tour an ST, and ride an RS. You can mod anything, but remember, it costs quite a bit.
Harley seems like a bargain! How crazy is that?

reissooz
10-13-2014, 12:57 PM
The one thing the F3-s has that the base model doesn't have that is of interest to me is cruise control. Is it possible to add it at the dealer or would it have to be installed at the factory? (I have no idea about this, obviously as to what's involved. Does anyone use anything aftermarket such as the throttle control that Kuryakyn makes?

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-13-2014, 01:12 PM
The one thing the F3-s has that the base model doesn't have that is of interest to me is cruise control. Is it possible to add it at the dealer or would it have to be installed at the factory? (I have no idea about this, obviously as to what's involved. Does anyone use anything aftermarket such as the throttle control that Kuryakyn makes?
:thumbup:...Not on an F-3 , however I think a fellow Spyderlover found that the wiring etc was already in place in a Late model RS for CRUISE control and He tapped into it and made it work for Him.......................Note ...When manufacturers build these cars / trucks / mtc's etc. they generally wire them ALL the same ( it's way less expensive to do it this way ) and depending on what model or Options you want , they hook up the options according to the build sheet ................But the internal Basics are there.....so I think if you wanted CRUISE CONTROL on a BASIC model it could be done with some swapping of minor parts ............JMHO....Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-13-2014, 01:27 PM
If you two guys ever get together on a project... :shocked:

It'll be fun to watch!! :D
:agree:...There aren't many of us here who mostly think out of the BOX ....Coz, robtdonna, Rich, Magdave, me , and some nameless but worthy others .......But we are FEW and just speaking for myself .....the main reason I tell other Spyderlovers is to let them know there are alternatives to spending big bucks on their rides .....because there really are some us who are on a shoe string budget and can't afford an extra $ 8000 to get the LTD............If you have it fine , but if you don't , it's nice to know there are reasonable options to explore. I also realize not everyone can do what I can or some others here ........................I will now apologize if this upsets anyone ...it's not meant to ............Mike :thumbup:

Lamonster
10-13-2014, 01:33 PM

You should be able to add it later. Pretty sure everything is there.

reissooz
10-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Looks like ala carte is insanely expensive and foolhardy. Yes, you can make an F3 tour. Better idea. Cruise an F3, tour an RT, sport tour an ST, and ride an RS. You can mod anything, but remember, it costs quite a bit.
Harley seems like a bargain! How crazy is that?

Pi don't know about you, Joe, but I don't have the means to pay for or even store multiple bikes, along with my car! ;) I want to do the same thing with the F3 that I did with the v-rod- make it as utilitarian as I can for me.

ARtraveler
10-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Pi don't know about you, Joe, but I don't have the means to pay for or even store multiple bikes, along with my car! ;) I want to do the same thing with the F3 that I did with the v-rod- make it as utilitarian as I can for me.

You have a very good idea. Start basic and then find other things that will make it yours. The F3 program--out of the box is pretty good stuff. At least, you get a lot of options and directions to go with from the start.

When I started with 2008 GS, there was not to much to "farkle" the machine with. It took me a couple years to get it "my way."

Bob Denman
10-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Mike you don't even think OUTSIDE the box... :D
Where you're thinking; they don't even HAVE boxes!! :roflblack:

:2thumbs:

hchays
10-13-2014, 08:49 PM
:thumbup:...Not on an F-3 , however I think a fellow Spyderlover found that the wiring etc was already in place in a Late model RS for CRUISE control and He tapped into it and made it work for Him.......................Note ...When manufacturers build these cars / trucks / mtc's etc. they generally wire them ALL the same ( it's way less expensive to do it this way ) and depending on what model or Options you want , they hook up the options according to the build sheet ................But the internal Basics are there.....so I think if you wanted CRUISE CONTROL on a BASIC model it could be done with some swapping of minor parts ............JMHO....Mike :thumbup:

The RS cruise was an easy mod if you are somewhat mechanical. I was a little upset that BRP markets the RS as "not able to have cruise, but if you spend the extra $'s on the RS-S you can have cruise" and then we find out that I had cruise all the time with a very simple mod that cost $0. Yet I was/am happy that I now have cruise. I would be surprised if the F3 doesn't have the same wiring as the the model with cruise. Again it's BRP's attempt of digging a little deeper in our pockets. But I do agree with buying a base model and make it what you want. You can always buy after market accessories if you are not able to fabricate them like some of us can. I've fabricated my own sound system, highway pegs and misc other item for my RS. FYI: I'm always willing to help anyone with any fabrication ideas that they have.

reissooz
10-13-2014, 09:03 PM
I've never had cruise on any of my bikes so don't know how much I would use it. I rarely even use it in my car, so it may be a moot point, but it would be nice to have it available as I start planning long trips for next year. I took some fairly long trips last year on the v-rod and it would have been nice to rest my right hand once in a while.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-13-2014, 10:25 PM
I've never had cruise on any of my bikes so don't know how much I would use it. I rarely even use it in my car, so it may be a moot point, but it would be nice to have it available as I start planning long trips for next year. I took some fairly long trips last year on the v-rod and it would have been nice to rest my right hand once in a while.
:agree:....I do use it more in my car / trk. etc.,....But on the spyder if you just want to give the RIGHT hand a minute or two to wiggle your fingers ....if you don't have cruise ...there is no other option :dontknow:........JMHO......Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-13-2014, 10:28 PM
......" hchays " , I apologize for not remembering your name as the " out of the box person " who discovered the wiring to do the cruise on His Spyder .......Mike :thumbup:

GunDoctor
10-14-2014, 08:06 PM
I ordered the F3-S which has the red frame and cruise control. Would love to have a few add on accessories but the prices for just about anything is so grossly over priced it's inconceivable to me. You get no deduction in price for the equipment your replacing making it even more costly than if it was factory installed. Use to laugh when I went to my Harley Dealer for stuff and use to think HD stood for HUNDRED DOLLARS now looking at their "add-on" prices compared to BRP it is cheap in comparison. I'm sure the after market for the F3 will make a killing.

daveinva
10-14-2014, 08:49 PM
In order to justify the cost of an F3, I'd have to make it my daily driver like my RS. I get by with the frunk and soft bags on my RS for errands/light grocery runs/etc., but right off the bat the F3 loses half the native storage. I'd love to have integrated side bags, but at that price (not to mention their small size!), the BRP options are frankly ridonkulous.

Alas, here's my concern: I hated farkling my RS. I turned it into a touring bike, an ST before there was an ST, totally love where it ended up-- but man, it was a serious PITA getting to this point. I'm not terribly handy, I had to do all my work in a narrow driveway (you folks with even a one-car garage have NO IDEA how good you have it), had to invest in all the tools to do so, AND I had to buy all the aftermarket gear. Oh, and I had to relearn a whole dictionary's worth of curse words! :joke:
I've never actually itemized how much I put into my RS :yikes:, but I know-- and accept-- that I'll NEVER get that money or time back. :banghead:

Honestly, the F3 appeals to me because all the options are right there out of the gate. I'd be able to buy a Spyder with pretty much everything I wanted right off the bat, no compromises. One check to the dealer, and I can avoid months of dragging out the jack, pinching my fingers, and torquing my back.

BRP finally gave me what I was hoping for-- unfortunately, they ensured that I'd be forced to pay the absolute most outrageous premium for it. Gee, thanks for thinkin' of the little guy here. :mad:

Lilbkrbabe
11-01-2015, 05:53 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience with this. It is not acceptable, but fully expected with the launch of a new product.

I am very patient and comfortable on my STL and will wait until the prices come down.

ca8920
11-01-2015, 01:25 PM
ALTHOUGH i have zero interest in the SLINGSHOT, i'll be visiting my POLARIS dealer tomorrow to see 1st hand what this thing looks like.... i was told today that this vehicle comes in at just under $20K.... hopefully, this puts major pressure on BRP to get their prices inline with competitors.... i've ALWAYS thought that SPYD3Rs were somewhat over-priced....
dp

When the Slingshot first came out, the base model did come in at just under $20,000, but with their popularity, that base price has gone up. At least in the Reno/Tahoe area it has. I took a buddy in to test drive one a couple of weeks ago and the price for the base model was just under $22,000. They are still really sweet. Someone in our housing complex has one of the upgraded ones and we see it zipping around all the time.
:doorag::spyder2:

den1953
11-01-2015, 08:03 PM
The new 2016 touring models (baggers) in many ways make the Touring Escape Package obsolete. The base F3T SM6 lists for $22,999 the radio equipped version is $23,999. SE6 adds $1500 just as it does on any previous ACE 1300 powered Spyders. The fairing and vented windshield are supposed to address the wind buffeting issues with the Blue Ridge on the current F3. A "Tall Boy" windshield is also available for the new models.

OJ UK
11-02-2015, 08:39 AM
I ordered the F3-S which has the red frame and cruise control. Would love to have a few add on accessories but the prices for just about anything is so grossly over priced it's inconceivable to me. You get no deduction in price for the equipment your replacing making it even more costly than if it was factory installed. Use to laugh when I went to my Harley Dealer for stuff and use to think HD stood for HUNDRED DOLLARS now looking at their "add-on" prices compared to BRP it is cheap in comparison. I'm sure the after market for the F3 will make a killing.

Surely if HD = Hundred Dollars then BRP = Bloody Ridiculous Prices....n'est pa?? :roflblack: