PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Word- 2015 Can-Am Spyder F3 – First Ride

Lamonster
10-07-2014, 11:10 AM
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/10/07/2015-can-am-spyder-f3-three-wheeler-first-ride-review-photos-specifications-pricing/

http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2015-Can-Am-Spyder-F3-BJN-7-590x393.jpg

Bob Denman
10-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Informative; the writer seemed to be spending a lot of time apologizing for it...

...and for the fact that it was "fun". ;)

Dragonrider
10-07-2014, 11:57 AM
AND he hasn't tried the RS, RSS, or RT - and disses them without a second thought. Bet he has a Hardley in his garage, and would be upset for me to say the only current Hardley worth $0.05 is the V-rod...

ARtraveler
10-07-2014, 01:34 PM
IMO--the best review I have seen so far, coming from a major cycle magazine.

Compared to the first reviews we saw a few years back, at least they are "getting it."

I only get "Rider" these days, so am looking forward to hearing what they have to say about our favorite brand.

daveinva
10-07-2014, 04:01 PM
This was good for the simple reason the author acknowledges the primary complaint of the anti-Spyder crowd: "It's not a motorcycle!", delivered with the subtext of, "... so stop pretending you can ride, you unskilled, scared poseur!"

I can, and do, ride two wheels. I also ride three. (I even drive four!) I have fun on anything that goes fast and turns sharp. I won't apologize for having fun.

It's like the anti-Spyder crowd attempts to provoke our (presumed) insecurity. Like, the only way we can possibly enjoy the Spyder is by pretending we're bikers, when in reality we should just give up and get a Miata.

Unfortunately that attitude willfully ignores the possibility that there could possibly be unique joys of riding a Spyder in comparison to riding either two- and four-wheels-- and that those joys may be desired for their own sake, i.e. you're not "settling" by riding a Spyder, nor are you riding a Spyder only because you can't/won't ride two-wheels.

And no, we're not missing the lean. There's plenty of fun leaning on a Spyder. :2thumbs:

Anyway, here's hoping the F3 gets more positive attention from the crowd. :thumbup:

den1953
10-07-2014, 05:14 PM
One somewhat popular mod among bikers that I don't quite understand is ape hanger handlebars. I am guessing someone at some time after the F3 is out on the market will put a set of these armpit ventilating handlebars on one. It's inevitible that somebody is going to do this. I don't endorse them but human behavior being what it is....

Bob Denman
10-07-2014, 05:37 PM
96535 Already been done... :D

BikerDoc
10-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Nonetheless the article still calls attention to BRP and the F3 so it might reach more people who can make their own decisions

Laila's Dad
10-07-2014, 06:34 PM
I just ride. Some times I can barely start the Spyder up without having 3 or 4 conversations about the Spyder and how they are cool and other times I get the "you ever rode a real bike?". Sometimes people wave, sometimes they don't. The one constant in all of that is me still riding. People are funny(not necessarily in the ha-ha way) so you can't put much stock in the opinions of folks, especially if they are not close to you in relationship. I personally think Harley's are awesome also and hope to own one of those too one day, but however that all goes I will still be riding. People get so confident in there opinions that they begin to call them facts. Good review or bad review, the highway can vouch for me. It knows me well.

Good day all

PrairieSpyder
10-07-2014, 07:19 PM
96535 Already been done... :D

That's gotta be hard to steer.

PrairieSpyder
10-07-2014, 07:20 PM
I wonder if the author thinks the Tri-Glide and Goldwing trike are NOT motorcycles!

den1953
10-08-2014, 05:12 AM
I believe it's a matter of which end in regards to the wheels. The Tri Glide gets more regard in motorcycle owners minds first because it's a Harley Davidson and foremost for having it's two wheel axle in the back and steered with a conventional motorcycle fork/wheel assembly in the front. Gold Wing trike conversions get a bit less street cred for being Japanese but still come out ahead in the minds of bikers for the same reasons. When things get turned around (literally) on a Can Am Spyder they don't like it because it doesn't look like a proper motorcycle in their narrow minded point of view. Truly the Can Ams aren't motorcycles as much as they really are more of a road-going snowmobile both in layout and in appearance. Hard-core motorcyclists (bikers) won't accept them, but that doesn't really bother me at all even though I'm still on two wheels yet (over 44 years and counting). I am convinced that I'm on the very last two wheel motorcycle I'll ever own and that the next ride will be a Can Am Spyder F3, whether they like it or not!!

Bob Denman
10-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Truly the Can Ams aren't motorcycles as much as they really are more of a road-going snowmobile both in layout and in appearance. !
Call it what you want; I just call mine, "Fun"! :yes::ohyea::yes:

NJArachnyd
10-08-2014, 10:27 AM
I can, and do, ride two wheels. I also ride three. (I even drive four!) I have fun on anything that goes fast and turns sharp. I won't apologize for having fun.

It's like the anti-Spyder crowd attempts to provoke our (presumed) insecurity. Like, the only way we can possibly enjoy the Spyder is by pretending we're bikers, when in reality we should just give up and get a Miata.

Unfortunately that attitude willfully ignores the possibility that there could possibly be unique joys of riding a Spyder in comparison to riding either two- and four-wheels-- and that those joys may be desired for their own sake, i.e. you're not "settling" by riding a Spyder, nor are you riding a Spyder only because you can't/won't ride two-wheels.

Well said! :2thumbs:

To the uninitiated I say don't knock it 'till you've tried it. With many years on two wheels, I had no idea what I was missing until I rode my wife's RS-S home from the dealer. The article's sub-head says "a cross between a Diavel and a Miata" - not bad on either count.

bscrive
10-08-2014, 11:24 AM
I ride a Valkyrie Interstate presently and I love the bike. In my 11 years of owning the bike I have not had any major repairs. Only tires and brakes. When my wife bought her 09 RS in 2012, I tried it and I only rode it 15 mins for me to decide that i didn't like it. This year we traded it for a 2013 STL. I rode it and I liked it much better. Still had a hard time remembering to keep the revs up. When I first saw the F3 I didn't like it. Since then it has grown on me and it is actually the first Spyder that I would consider buying for myself. I will test ride it next year and see how it goes. The only thing that would keep me on two wheels is the curves. I love to lean my bike.

McGone
10-08-2014, 12:54 PM
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/97/19295/Motorcycle-Article/2015-Can-Am-Spyder-F3-First-Ride.aspx

Positive report of the nanny. :doorag: I need to ride one!

3 wheeler
10-08-2014, 09:13 PM
I just ride. Some times I can barely start the Spyder up without having 3 or 4 conversations about the Spyder and how they are cool and other times I get the "you ever rode a real bike?". Sometimes people wave, sometimes they don't. The one constant in all of that is me still riding. People are funny(not necessarily in the ha-ha way) so you can't put much stock in the opinions of folks, especially if they are not close to you in relationship. I personally think Harley's are awesome also and hope to own one of those too one day, but however that all goes I will still be riding. People get so confident in there opinions that they begin to call them facts. Good review or bad review, the highway can vouch for me. It knows me well.

Good day all

I've owned 2 Harley's, the Spyder is WAY more fun. You're not missing much.