PDA

View Full Version : Spyder-blind Stop Lights!

Michael211_2000
10-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Ok after over a year and more than 6K miles on my Spyder I finally got trapped by a stop light in Kingwood Tx that would not recognize the presence of my Spyder... Arghhh! I needed a Left Green Arrow to turn left, but it was stuck at Red even though it was letting traffic go straight (with a Green light for the other lanes, but no green arrow for me). I sat and waited as the light's cycled traffic thru this intersection 3 times and I never got a green arrow just a red light! :banghead:

On the 4th time traffic on my side was given the green light to go straight, I gave up waiting and seeing no possible conflicting traffic made my left turn without the green arrow (as much as it made me cringe!).

What was I supposed to do? By state law?

I've heard of this happening to 2-wheelers before, was told it's very frustrating and you just have to finally "go" when you can safely do so after you're certain you'll never get the green light you need... this was the 1st time it's happened to me though.

I was sitting in the middle of the lane behind the white line where you stop for red lights, that thing was never going to give me the green arrow to turn left (I've been thru this intersection with my truck before, it should have given me a green left arrow each time it let the other traffic in my direction go straight there is no possibility of conflicting traffic when everyone else is going straight... so I'm guessing it just wasn't detecting the presence of my Spyder).

Advice? Thanks!

- Michael

jonnysevel
10-06-2014, 02:57 PM
it has happened to me before. I will back up and then come forward again..or adjust side to side a little...I can usually get it to recognize me

NovaSpyder
10-06-2014, 03:05 PM
:agree: There some lights that will absolutely not change on my two wheeler but usually if I wiggle the spyder a bit the loop will notice me and change. On my two wheeler I have done what you have, gone through after a few cycles but only if there was no traffic about, otherwise I made the right hand turn and found alternative route.

sting1373
10-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Well now after passing my motorcycle license here just a month ago, I actually was notified about this answer. In the state of Texas, you must do your diligence to get the signal lights to turn or register your presense. It says to look for the square tapered concrete below you to see if you are putting enough weight on the ground. If none found, then far left lane before the stripe. Apparently you are supposed to flash your high beams to get it to register. If all else fails, then you can make the turn with enough clearance to make the turn.

My instructor had said if you get pulled over for running the light, they will ask why you ran it. If you state everything above, they will let you go. This is why they will ask to make sure you have done your diligence to make the light recognize you are in the lane.

He did say that city cops will consider it dangerous and pull you over for other reasons. He mentioned that some cities will provision all vehicles, regardless of the type, to not allow any vehicle to turn on red forcing you to change lanes and find an alternate route.

sduskin
10-06-2014, 03:15 PM
IR looks like a camera mounted next to the lights.

Magnetometer (field sensor) mounted in grooves at the intersection.

For the IR, you need to pull up fully towards the intersection so the camera can "see" you. For the magnetometer, try to place your ride near where the lines join or fully over the lines if possible and safe.

LOL of course the signal sensors could be broken also.

Dont know about TX, but in OK, you did not break the law as there are exemptions in the traffic code for motorcycles. And in OK, all vehicles less than 4 wheels are classed as motorcycles.

ARtraveler
10-06-2014, 03:35 PM
If I find myself in a situation where the signal will not recognize me, I just wait until the coast is clear and then proceed through the intersection.

This has not happened a lot and have never had to defend my situation with a LEO.

ivanlee
10-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Ok after over a year and more than 6K miles on my Spyder I finally got trapped by a stop light in Kingwood Tx that would not recognize the presence of my Spyder... Arghhh! I needed a Left Green Arrow to turn left, but it was stuck at Red even though it was letting traffic go straight (with a Green light for the other lanes, but no green arrow for me). I sat and waited as the light's cycled traffic thru this intersection 3 times and I never got a green arrow just a red light! :banghead:

On the 4th time traffic on my side was given the green light to go straight, I gave up waiting and seeing no possible conflicting traffic made my left turn without the green arrow (as much as it made me cringe!).

What was I supposed to do? By state law?

I've heard of this happening to 2-wheelers before, was told it's very frustrating and you just have to finally "go" when you can safely do so after you're certain you'll never get the green light you need... this was the 1st time it's happened to me though.

I was sitting in the middle of the lane behind the white line where you stop for red lights, that thing was never going to give me the green arrow to turn left (I've been thru this intersection with my truck before, it should have given me a green left arrow each time it let the other traffic in my direction go straight there is no possibility of conflicting traffic when everyone else is going straight... so I'm guessing it just wasn't detecting the presence of my Spyder).

Advice? Thanks!

- Michael

this is what I use.96456

Yazz
10-06-2014, 06:45 PM
There is situation #1 and situation #2...

#1 - You're at a left hand stop light with minimal traffic. Wait one cycle of lights, wait for no traffic and safely make the turn.

#2 - You're at a left hand stop light with heavy traffic. Wait one cycle of lights then move into the crosswalk. Turn around, make eye contact with the driver of the vehicle behind you and wave him/her to move closer to you. Sometimes they are hesitant to get to close to a bike, but after a few light cycles they get the idea. Then the turn light will go green and you are safe to turn and everybody behind you will be happy.

SpyderAnn01
10-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Nevada just enacted a law that you can proceed through the light if it cycles through twice without going green for the motorcycle

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-06-2014, 10:45 PM
......If stuck in this situation you could put your Rt trn sig. on safely go into right lane and proceed straight thru intersection on green light.....Then somewhere after just turn around and come back and make your intended turn.............Complicated but 100 % legal........................Mike :thumbup:

tobor9
10-06-2014, 11:54 PM
In SC a new law has been passed that if the light fails to respond to a motorcycle after 2min you can treet it as a stop sign and proceed with cation when safe to go. most of the time it "see's" my :ani29:,if not I go when i can.

Michael211_2000
10-07-2014, 12:24 PM
I appreciate all the responses to this issue! Evidently, it happens more often than I would have thought... guess I was lucky up till now. LOL!

@IvanLee, I didn't find that particular one when I searched Ebay but did find several similar devices. May invest in 1! Thanks!

@Everyone, I couldn't see any marks in the pavement indicating anything buried in it, and aside from the traffic-cam on the light pole nothing else "jumped out at me". Where I was in the left-hand turn lane, there was no good way to get into the straight-ahead lane (too much traffic going straight, it was never clear enough for me to move right). There was nobody behind me in the left-turn lane, either.... just me. So I guess I handled this the best I could. I really don't "get" why the left turn lane doesn't get a green arrow *anytime* the straight-ahead traffic gets a green light, it's not like any cross-traffic can conflict with the left turn I was needing to make when traffic right beside me is moving forward thru the intersection... it's probably just a poorly engineered intersection (go figure that!). :banghead:

Thanks!

- Michael

shelbydave
10-07-2014, 12:42 PM
it's probably just a poorly engineered intersection (go figure that!). :banghead:

You could always get a life sized skeleton, pull your spyder to the line, put on the left turn signal, then put the skeleton in the riders position.

Then stand by and watch the people... :)

Bob Denman
10-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Well; it DOES give you a good reason, for a 225 mile detour around that stoplight... :D :thumbup:

Dgjason
10-07-2014, 01:26 PM
You could always get a life sized skeleton, pull your spyder to the line, put on the left turn signal, then put the skeleton in the riders position.

I realy like this one...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Will try it next time I'm in Cleveland, Texas.

Showie
10-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Washington just modified law so after 2 cycles you can go when all is safe. Asked a State Patrolmen rider friend what they did before law change and he said basically you have to go so go. Carefully!!

daveinva
10-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Ditto Virginia-- law recently changed to allow turning left after waiting two light cycles.

As I like to ride my Ninja out in the weekend mornings when I'm the only vehicle on the road, I'd *never* be able to (legally) turn left without that change!

Michael211_2000
10-08-2014, 12:08 PM

That would be funny for Halloween evening... hehehe! :thumbup:

- Michael

Michael211_2000
10-08-2014, 12:11 PM
I realy like this one...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Will try it next time I'm in Cleveland, Texas.

Actually Cleveland TX is my area, I drive thru town on my Spyder all the time and haven't been trapped by any of the lights there. I got trapped in Kingwood the other week though, going to a dental appointment. I ended up 3 minutes late because of that darned left-turn light. :mad:

Let me know next time you're coming to/thru Cleveland though, we might can meet up somewhere for lunch... I'm always looking to meet other Spyders! :f_spider:

- Michael

Oldmanzues
10-08-2014, 01:54 PM
This has been a major problem since they came up with the "sensor" lights. It is worse for all two wheelers and even more so for the two wheeler with lots of tupperware, Gold wings, Honda ST110 (like mine). Check state laws and try several different ideas as on here. Some will work in one place and not others.
I did have a car kind of look at me, when I moved just of the stop line and motioned him forward. the light changed we left. I pulled into a Dairy Queen and he pulled in behind me. We got out and I explained what was going and thanked him.
I just remembered. I think in Ohio you can contact DOT and see if that sensor can be reset. I have not tried doing it.
Oldmanzues

Spyder Tony
10-08-2014, 04:55 PM
This $16 item may alleviate your frustrations:

http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Light-Changer-Specifically-Motorcycle/dp/B001DC7L42