PDA

View Full Version : F3 acceleration (0-60)

3 wheeler
10-05-2014, 09:44 PM
I've been reading all the great reviews on the new F3. It looks really impressive and I'm really interesting in it. On one of the tests, 0-60 acceleration was said to be 4.8 seconds. I was expecting it to be quicker than that considering the RS is about 4.5 seconds. Anyone heard any other reports on this?

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-05-2014, 10:00 PM
I've been reading all the great reviews on the new F3. It looks really impressive and I'm really interesting in it. On one of the tests, 0-60 acceleration was said to be 4.8 seconds. I was expecting it to be quicker than that considering the RS is about 4.5 seconds. Anyone heard any other reports on this?
...At the last Spyderfest I drag raced my 2011 RSS se with very good results ( 1st in class) ...........I now have a 2014 RT SE and I don't think I could equal the RSS times . I believe even tho the the Horsepower and Torque are up for the 1330 Ace engine the 300 lbs weight difference is too much for the increase.......IMHO the first rule in acceleration is weight loss trumps Horsepower most of the time unless the Horsepower gains are substantial...........That being said ,the F-3 at approx. 850 lbs. and a reduction in the NANNY interference , should make for some interesting DRAG RACING the next go-round ..........Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
10-05-2014, 10:16 PM
like BLUEKNIGHT911 stated weight among other things can change the results. Still pretty good..!! :2thumbs: the RS/RSS still have an edge...:thumbup:

Mo Lee
10-06-2014, 03:49 AM
...At the last Spyderfest I drag raced my 2011 RSS se with very good results ( 1st in class) ...........I now have a 2014 RT SE and I don't think I could equal the RSS times . I believe even tho the the Horsepower and Torque are up for the 1330 Ace engine the 300 lbs weight difference is too much for the increase.......IMHO the first rule in acceleration is weight loss trumps Horsepower most of the time unless the Horsepower gains are substantial...........That being said ,the F-3 at approx. 850 lbs. and a reduction in the NANNY interference , should make for some interesting DRAG RACING the next go-round ..........Mike :thumbup:

Is the weight difference that much? I've been too busy with life to pay a whole lot of attention to what's going on, I was disappointed it was only a 9 HP increase. My best time at Spyderfest was 13.71 and it will be interesting to see if the F3 can beat it.

Lamonster
10-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Seems like they were telling us 4.2 but whatever it is I'm sure the truth will be told at the dragstrip during Spyderfest. Pretty sure it will out accelerate an RS.

Dan McNally
10-06-2014, 06:33 AM
Seems like they were telling us 4.2 but whatever it is I'm sure the truth will be told at the dragstrip during Spyderfest. Pretty sure it will out accelerate an RS.
I'm sure yours will! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-06-2014, 07:26 AM
The 4.5 second time for the RS, was an "Advertised" time...
What was the 4.8 second time for the F-3; actual?? :dontknow:

Who lies worse than an Insurance Agent? :shocked:
A Marketing Guy!! :D

den1953
10-06-2014, 07:28 AM
My drag racing days are long behind me but it's still nice to know what your machine is capable of. I'm a lot less about standing start acceleration now but more about roll-on performance while moving, especially in top gear.

sledmaster
10-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Correct, the BRP reps were telling us the 0-60 time was 4.8 seconds. That is what I have in my notes as well as memory.

Let's just say that with the 1330 in a lighter chassis than the RT and the lower gearing (rear sprocket is 4 T larger) that it pulls off the line quite briskly and traction is going to be the factor in exact times. Power to weight ratio should be compared to the RS to compute acceleration potential between the two. The RS might jump it off the line, but the midrange pull of the F3 is really where it is fun as you do not need to shift as often with such a wide torque curve. You can pull the same gear for a much wider rpm band.

If it makes any sense, I think my 2008 GS might be quicker but the F3 pulled harder. That is my 501 button fly dyno analysis. The F3 didn't have so much of a "boat" feeling like an RT, didn't seem to have the body roll of an ST, but felt close in weight to an ST. Only the GS/RS would be close in acceleration.

Bob Denman
10-06-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm getting just a bit tired, by all of the racing that's happening up on "Mahogeny Ridge"... :cheers:

We need to put all of the Bull:cus: behind everybody... :D
find a couple of bone-stock RSs; a new one, and a pre- 2013...
Grab an F3, and go find a track with some timers... :2thumbs:

BikerDoc
10-06-2014, 11:07 AM
I would be willing to find an RSS owner to race me in January so we won't have to wait for Spyderfest to find out the answer

Lamonster
10-06-2014, 12:03 PM
I would be willing to find an RSS owner to race me in January so we won't have to wait for Spyderfest to find out the answer

I'll have one way before Jan. :doorag:

BikerDoc
10-06-2014, 12:18 PM
All right you race then and tell us the real numbers... 4.8 sure does seem slow

Mo Lee
10-06-2014, 05:16 PM

WELL?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????
I have an GS!

ChasingWind
10-08-2014, 02:09 AM
I have A GS in WA only slightly modified [emoji12] would be very interested........

3 wheeler
10-09-2014, 01:43 PM
If it turns out that the new F3 isn't really any faster accelerating than the RS, or is about equal, I'm keeping my 2011 RS. I'm hoping it's faster because I do like it. :pray:

Bob Denman
10-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Isn't buying a bike because of it's quarter mile time; about like buying a car, bacause you like the windshield wiper switch? :dontknow:

ChasingWind
10-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Some riders just don't get it - and that's great for them that's how they like to ride or Cruz each to their own style ---but most riders on the GS/RS have s speed demon waiting for BP to put som real HP in there line up -

25000 + for 6 more hp hmmmm or $5000 for turbo - do love the looks of the F3 but for $27000 price tag for the version I would buy - I want it all HP, incredible handling and looks ---

I've ridden over 31,000 miles this year and like to ride fast and hard:)

Mo Lee
10-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Isn't buying a bike because of it's quarter mile time; about like buying a car, bacause you like the windshield wiper switch? :dontknow:

Some people JUST DON'T GET IT!

Bob Denman
10-09-2014, 06:00 PM
:D :agree: :roflblack: :thumbup:
When I was young, and well-beyond just "Average-Stoopid"; I read every car and bike magazine that I could... living and dying with the quarter mile, and top speeds...

Now that I've made it all the way to, "Exceptionally- Stupid", I look for other features too! :2thumbs:

Kind of like the mute, Bathing Beauty Nymphomaniac, who's Daddy owns a liqor store; sometimes you find JUST the right combination! :D

Yazz
10-09-2014, 07:06 PM

No. Refuse to grow up, not looking for a nympho.

Be careful what you wish for... ;)

jcthorne
10-09-2014, 07:44 PM
No, never grow up, never fast enough. BUT,

I gave up going faster on 3 wheels than on 4 a long time ago. The Spyder would have to get to 240 plus hp to be in the same power to weight ratio the lady in the garage already is. Not going to happen. Even if it did, the Spyder is a barn door aerodynamically.

I love the Sypder for the cruizer and touring bike that it is.

DrewNJ
10-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Really curious to see an f3 line up against an rs. On paper they are very similar power to weight.

Anyone know the ratio differences in the tranny 5 vs. 6?

Personally I think they are going to run very close with the advantage going to the better rider.

Rockwall
10-14-2014, 01:44 PM
It will be all the rider.:doorag:

Bob Denman
10-14-2014, 01:58 PM
The first sixty feet will tell the story... :2thumbs:
Whoever cuts the best light, and hooks it up; gets to kiss the girl! :D

Yazz
10-14-2014, 07:03 PM
It will be all the rider.:doorag:

:agree: It's not the horse, it's the jocky.

The first sixty feet will tell the story... :2thumbs:
Whoever cuts the best light, and hooks it up; gets to kiss the girl! :D

Would like to see the same rider on a GS and a F-3 do the drags honestly, and compare the numbers.

Thats the tell of the tape...

ChasingWind
10-14-2014, 08:44 PM
This is exactly my point --- it shouldn't even be a comparison 6years in the making and there is questions if can beat a 2008 GS ---GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and $26000 + for accessories I have now --- but hey it supposed to get way better gas mileage ;) and with bigger gas tank might be able to go 350 miles before fill up?? --

Like I've said earlier - I do like the looks - just trying to talk myself out of getting one - lol

IrishGator
10-15-2014, 08:12 AM
I like the idea of the 6th gear, but if it cant beat my 08 GS, then I will pass as I have made my GS fast and comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lamonster
10-15-2014, 08:33 AM
I like the idea of the 6th gear, but if it cant beat my 08 GS, then I will pass as I have made my GS fast and comfortable.

Do the math.

For power, the 2015 Can-Am Spyder F3 received an all-new Rotax 1,330cc 3-cylinder engine with manual 6-speed transmission or semi-automatic SE transmission. Total power is claimed at 115hp and 96 ft-lb of torque.

IrishGator
10-15-2014, 08:42 AM
I know the specs. Yet, it still struggles to beat the GS? I don't know. Just asking. Riding the F3 this coming Saturday and next Wed. I guess after that, I can make a more educated assessment. I just don't see the advantage if the performance is so close.

Lamonster
10-15-2014, 09:26 AM
I know the specs. Yet, it still struggles to beat the GS? I don't know. Just asking. Riding the F3 this coming Saturday and next Wed. I guess after that, I can make a more educated assessment. I just don't see the advantage if the performance is so close.

GS is 798 dry
F3 is 850 dry
48 lbs heavier than the GS

GS is 100hp
F3 is 115hp

GS is 80 ftlbs of torque
F3 is 96 ftlbs of torque

GS 5 speed trans
F3 6 speed trans

I have owned and ridden every Spyder to date and to me the F3 is hands down the funnest Spyder I have ever ridden. It handles great bone stock and the major thing you'll notice is sitting in the bike and not on top of the bike just feels right. I hope you enjoy your test drive as much as I did. :doorag:

IrishGator
10-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Thanks bunches. I hope so as well. Cant wait.

Spyder Tony
10-15-2014, 10:24 AM

I feel the same way, with the exception that I am attempting to add an F3 along with my GS (and my gal's ST-L). This will cost me the new car I wanted to buy this year...but my '02 SUV is still running well, so a new car is not a necessity. I probably "shouldn't" buy an F3 so close to having purchased the ST-L...but life is about doing what you "want" to do in addition to doing what you "should" do...YOLO!

Mo Lee
10-15-2014, 06:50 PM
GS is 798 dry
F3 is 850 dry

GS is 100hp
F3 is 115hp

GS is 80 ftlbs of torque
F3 is 96 ftlbs of torque

GS 5 speed trans
F3 6 speed trans

I have owned and ridden every Spyder to date and to me the F3 is hands down the funnest Spyder I have ever ridden. It handles great bone stock and the major thing you'll notice is sitting in the bike and not on top of the bike just feels right. I hope you enjoy your test drive as much as I did. :doorag:

Maybe the later ones, but this is what was advertised when I bought mine. http://motorcycles.about.com/od/sportbikereviews/gr/Can-Am_Spyder.htm

spydaman60
10-15-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm getting just a bit tired, by all of the racing that's happening up on "Mahogeny Ridge"... :cheers:

We need to put all of the Bull:cus: behind everybody... :D
find a couple of bone-stock RSs; a new one, and a pre- 2013...
Grab an F3, and go find a track with some timers... :2thumbs: I've got the 2012 rss and i'm willing to go!!!:roflblack: (although it should be against another 250 pound driver):roflblack::roflblack:

ChasingWind
10-16-2014, 09:09 AM
2008 = 106 hp- stock w pipe fuel controller and air intake I'd bet pretty close to 115hp+ hp 9704497045--- also I hate losing any storage lol

Can't wait to ride one --- can somebody send one to WA thanks

DrewNJ
10-16-2014, 09:25 AM
115hp/850lbs. .135hp/lb
100hp/798lbs. .125hp/lb
106hp/698lbs. .151hp/lb

Bob Denman
10-16-2014, 10:12 AM
GS is 798 dry
F3 is 850 dry

GS is 100hp
F3 is 115hp

:doorag:

Playing with weights and horsepower..
GS: 698 lbs/106 hp 6.58 pounds per "pony"
Later RS : 798 lbs/100 hp 7.98
F-3: 850 lbs/ 115 hp 7.39

It would appear that the GS (and earlier RS), will have a better power to weight ratio. :thumbup:
(This is all laboring under the HUGE assumption, that the advertised weights are accurate... :opps:)

Kratos
10-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Power is definitely not the selling point. It's the way the "stance" of riding it being different that's the bike's purpose for existence.

Maybe that's enough for it to be a hit or not........time will tell.

Bob Denman
10-16-2014, 05:51 PM
VERY good point... :2thumbs:
And since a lot of motorcycle marketing, is about image... :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-16-2014, 05:57 PM
VERY good point... :2thumbs:
And since a lot of motorcycle marketing, is about image... :thumbup:
:lecturef_smilie:....Probably 90 % of all Harley's are sold because of it ..............because I doubt if it's the innovations or handling :gaah:.....JMHO......Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Please remember: they're doing a much better job of keeping the oil on the inside of the engine cases these days... :D
They've got the entire decade of the 2020s, for addressing handling issues! :D :roflblack:

Lamonster
10-17-2014, 06:48 AM
I can tell you this now. The F3 will pull away at every shift from a reverse GL1800 trike Got to play a little last night. The comment from the owner was "I need to lose weight " [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 07:17 AM
:D We'd love to see a video of THAT! :clap:

DrewNJ
10-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Aren't the goldwing reverse trikes like 1200lbs.?

Bob Denman
10-17-2014, 08:54 AM
97113 Prettty close... 503 Kilos is about 1107 pounds...

sledmaster
10-17-2014, 09:36 AM

I have to agree with Lamont here:bowdown:. The F3 handles very well bone stock, and sitting down and back makes all the difference in the dynamic of how the bike reacts and interacts with you and the road. The key factor is putting the rider's center of gravity closer to the machine's roll center, creating a shorter lever arm. You stay planted instead of having that sensation of getting pitched off the seat going around a corner. Sure, it still helps to lean into a corner, but it makes the riding experience far less intimidating and more fun, IMO. It just feels right, despite what you might think. Try it for yourself.

DrewNJ
10-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Koolaid

coz
10-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Koolaid:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack ::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
10-19-2014, 12:21 PM
I have to agree with Lamont here:bowdown:. The F3 handles very well bone stock, and sitting down and back makes all the difference in the dynamic of how the bike reacts and interacts with you and the road. The key factor is putting the rider's center of gravity closer to the machine's roll center, creating a shorter lever arm. You stay planted instead of having that sensation of getting pitched off the seat going around a corner. Sure, it still helps to lean into a corner, but it makes the riding experience far less intimidating and more fun, IMO. It just feels right, despite what you might think. Try it for yourself.

Question: Do you think that the re-packaging of the bike, has RAISED the overall center of gravity for the bike?
The rider is about 4" lower; the fuel tank has GOT to be about 15 or more higher... :shocked:

Is that an important issue? :dontknow: