PDA

View Full Version : DIY RT blow hole block off plate

finless
10-05-2014, 07:08 PM
This started as just an experiment to see what a block off plate does to running temps and hot foot using NVB pegs. Some kind of block off plate is needed for highway pegs or your foot and ankle does cook!

Needless to say the plate works and no noticeable effects on engine running temps! I did this to see if I wanted to buy a commercial plate but now I am sticking with this DIY one!

I love that I can remove it easily or install it easily :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHIIenWTmyg

Bob

M109Dreamer
10-05-2014, 07:27 PM
[emoji106] Lol, thats thinking outside the box. Something that the shelf is really good at. Because it cant hold crap without it sliding off the back and down to the bottom of the trunck.

finless
10-05-2014, 07:31 PM
[emoji106] Lol, thats thinking outside the box. Something that the shelf is really good at. Because it cant hold crap without it sliding off the back and down to the bottom of the trunck.

Agree! It was a total waste of $35 bucks until now :)
FYI I cut it with heavy duty sizzors so took me like 10 minutes to make with a little trimming here and there.

Bob

chuck gross
10-05-2014, 10:18 PM
I love it and how comfortable are the new highway pegs? it must be nice to stretch out the legs :thumbup:

Chupaca
10-05-2014, 10:26 PM
love working with leftovers both cooking and in the shop. This is a classic example..congrats on finding a good use for that shelf..:2thumbs::clap:

jcthorne
10-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Another low buck way to close off the blow hole is using the 2014 right side grille with lower hole block off. I then used 3M headliner spray adhesive on the back side of the grille section and layed on a section of black landscapers fabric.

I then cut and reshaped the interior duct to blow the hot air straight down at the pavement.

No more hot air on the right foot. I was skeptical of this at first but have now been through the entire Houston summer and its had no effect on engine running temps.

Total cost was under $20 and it looks very OEM.

finless
12-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Another low buck way to close off the blow hole is using the 2014 right side grille with lower hole block off. I then used 3M headliner spray adhesive on the back side of the grille section and layed on a section of black landscapers fabric.

I then cut and reshaped the interior duct to blow the hot air straight down at the pavement.

No more hot air on the right foot. I was skeptical of this at first but have now been through the entire Houston summer and its had no effect on engine running temps.

Total cost was under $20 and it looks very OEM.

So a little confused. You blocked off both the upper and lower?

Can you take a pic so I can see what the setup looks like?

Where did you get the 2014 grill?

Bob

spacetiger
12-09-2014, 04:56 PM
If you didn't cut a hole in the bottom, where does the air go after it flows through the radiator? I am guessing the square footage before the radiator should have essentially the same area "behind" the radiator or the airflow volume will be affected. The volume of air flow would affect the temp the bike runs at. It might only be 5 degrees which isn't within the gauges ability to show the change.

But, thanks for sharing this idea.

Jerry

jcthorne
12-09-2014, 07:22 PM
So a little confused. You blocked off both the upper and lower?

Can you take a pic so I can see what the setup looks like?

Where did you get the 2014 grill?

Bob

Bought the 2014 grille from PioneerMotorsports but any of the CanAm parts dealers will sell them. They are under $20 and include the lower hole block off. Yes, I effectivly blocked off both side discharge holes.

I then opened a larger one pointed down in the duct panel behind the radiator. The panel that normally turns the air flow out to the side. Mine now discharges all the hot air straight down. Works very well.

I do think BRPs way of reversing the flow at very low speeds and stopped is better though.

jcthorne
12-09-2014, 07:24 PM
If you didn't cut a hole in the bottom, where does the air go after it flows through the radiator? I am guessing the square footage before the radiator should have essentially the same area "behind" the radiator or the airflow volume will be affected. The volume of air flow would affect the temp the bike runs at. It might only be 5 degrees which isn't within the gauges ability to show the change.

But, thanks for sharing this idea.

Jerry

Does not effect the temp the bike runs at as long as its still in the control range of the fan temp controller. IE the fan still cycles on and off at the prescribed temp. It MAY run the fan a bit longer or cycle a bit more often but not that I can tell. But as long as the fan is cycling, the engine is running at the same controlled temp as before.