PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing Leathers

Roadster Renovations
10-05-2014, 03:44 PM
I have chaps and jackets for both the wife any myself that needs waterproofing. I have been using Kiwi waterproofing spray. Just wondering what everyone else uses.

Magdave
10-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Camp Dry

ARtraveler
10-05-2014, 04:38 PM
As a old leatherman: You cannot really waterproof leather. Doing so would seal all the pores and prevent the leather from "breathing" properly. That's what keeps it soft and pliable. Sealing it completely, turns it into cardboard.

The water repellant sprays do work, and if you are happy with what you are using, stick with it. 3M is another spray that seems to have good results. Leather is not going to be good in any Noah's flood type rainstorm, but a good air temperature dry and a rejuvenate (Lexol) is the one I use--and you should be good to go. Don't mix Lexol and water repellants though.

Bob Denman
10-05-2014, 04:41 PM
:agree: Leather wants to Breathe...

Magdave
10-05-2014, 04:50 PM
:agree: With the above you are not going to make leather into rain gear but it can be "water resistant" and that Camp Dry is what I use on my boots and shoes and my socks have never gotten wet. I have not used them in long turn downpours though.

Roadster Renovations
10-05-2014, 11:58 PM
For sustained downpours, we have our 1 piece rainsuits that worked so well in the recent day of rain we rode through in New York. The wife questioned me when I ordered them in 5X, but when it was in the 40's there we were able to layer up underneath and stay toasty even in a day of nasty weather.
The reason I wanted to know about the leather is in case of getting caught out in a little weather and hopefully having enough waterproofing to just keep riding. Obviously, for bad rain we would stop and suit up.
I'll check out the Camp dry. I had used minks oil on my boots before, but that makes them pretty oily and the bees wax I thought would do the same.

ARtraveler
10-06-2014, 12:06 AM
For sustained downpours, we have our 1 piece rainsuits that worked so well in the recent day of rain we rode through in New York. The wife questioned me when I ordered them in 5X, but when it was in the 40's there we were able to layer up underneath and stay toasty even in a day of nasty weather.
The reason I wanted to know about the leather is in case of getting caught out in a little weather and hopefully having enough waterproofing to just keep riding. Obviously, for bad rain we would stop and suit up.
I'll check out the Camp dry. I had used minks oil on my boots before, but that makes them pretty oily and the bees wax I thought would do the same.

You are right on all the way. I used to put rainsuits on over the leather when we hit the really bad downpours.

Mink oil and Neatsfoot oils work great on boots if you want to pretty much waterproof them. I do not recommend either for chaps or jackets--too much of a good thing. :thumbup:

sabunim5
10-06-2014, 12:18 PM
I have used the above for decades, on my riding leathers, gloves, boots and seats. This product cleans, softens, conditions and waterproofs while maintaining breathability. I do however carry rainsuits for my wife and I for those all day rains as most leathers were never designed to keep you dry even if they are waterproof.
http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/productselector/waterproofing.php :thumbup:

Deanna777
10-06-2014, 06:12 PM
I used Lexol on my leather Vest, jackets, Chaps.

I also carry a rain suit, just in case. Deanna