PDA

View Full Version : GOT A CALL FROM BRP ON FRIDAY

oldguyinTX
10-05-2014, 07:18 AM
A very nice woman named Kimberly, a Consumer Experience Manager from BRP contacted me on Friday regarding the ongoing high heat/gas fumes/gas boiling/stalling problems with my RTL. This after repeated Emails to BRP. Evidently the person handling my case at BRP has been "on holiday", which I guess is why my Emails were not answered after the first one. To make a long story short, BRP technicians have some things that they want to try to mitigate these issues. They want to instruct my dealer as to what they want him to to to try and sort this out. Basically, they want to use my RT as a test bed, hook up all kinds of sensors to see if what they want to do has the desired effect. Maybe they really have come up with something.

Anyway, she told me that BRP would call me when the dealer has been notified of what they want done, & the dealer will then call me. The one thing that really struck me was a comment that she made, which was "BRP doesn't always get it right, but we always try to". That is the most intelligent and encouraging statement I have yet to hear from BRP. Maybe after 13 months of dealing with this only to be told that these issues are "normal", they might actually have something in the works. Time will tell, I guess. :pray::pray:

mindman
10-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Nice to see something happening for you!
Definitely keep us posted on progress.
Who's your dealer?

Raknid
10-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Thanks and please do keep us posted. We continue to get the strong fumes on ours. My brother visited last week with his bike. We went to the garage about a half-hour after returning and parking. I had never discussed the boiling fuel with him but as soon s he stepped in the garage he commented on the strong smell and if gas had spilled.

Bob Denman
10-05-2014, 07:44 AM
I'm glad to hear that:
Progress appears to be on the way
and...
You're feeling a bit better about things! :thumbup:

Oh! I'll be sending you PM about a mutual friend... ;)

oldguyinTX
10-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Nice to see something happening for you!
Definitely keep us posted on progress.
Who's your dealer?

Stamford Motorsports in Stamford, CT. Great dealer.:firstplace::firstplace: Chris, the Owner/Service Manager has gone to bat with BRP for me more than once. Jeremy, the Spyder technician, is really good with these machines. He always goes over with me in great detail what was done to the :ani29: when I pick it up after service. Heck, he even washes it! :clap::clap:I highly recommend them.

Bob Denman
10-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks for this info... :thumbup:

R FUN
10-05-2014, 08:36 AM
I have been following this issue since it started. I could never figure out what BRP could have done to make such a change in the one year. I have a 2012 RT-LTD and it runs so cool it bothers me, usually between cold and half. Even in Durango CO. last year with temps 80 to 100 the temp gauge only got slightly over the half. My riding buddy has the same machine and we have compared gauges and his shows the same. We always ride double, usually 60 mph and run regular 87 gas and fill the tank right up. No gas smell, no heat, no problems, never been back to the dealer since 600 mile check up, do all my own service.
Hope BRP solve this problem for the problem machines
Roger

JkRbbt
10-05-2014, 08:41 AM
"We don't always get it right, but we always try."

No one casts blame for not getting things perfect. That may be human nature. It was the, "That is NORMAL," the blue curtain, the no responses etc, etc, that called the company's dedication into question. Hopefully this is the new attitude that we can all work with. But I wish you folks would quit complaining about the fumes. It is only because of the fumes in the garage that my wife told me to get a 2014 or 2015 IF they don't stink up the place! So, you see, one man's problem can be another man's blessing! ;);););) :rolleyes:

spydaman60
10-05-2014, 08:41 AM
when a company can make a statement like that, it shows that they know they have a problem and that they must rectify it! good sign!!! :thumbup:

bruiser
10-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Glad to hear they are stepping up. I've been told by reliable sources that they haven't been sitting on this issue. Let's hope it gets resolved soon.

By the way, I always liked Frank Fontaine. He was a very good singer and comedian.

3 Wheel Addict
10-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Everyone that drops out by replacing the spyder with a newer one is one less person they have to deal with. If they would have stepped up sooner most people would have been ok with the fact that they was working on a solution. I personally got tired of the dealer blaming me, or telling me that BRP was blaming me for the problems. Hopefully they are going down the right path,....this time.

jaherbst
10-05-2014, 08:51 AM
I have been following this issue since it started. I could never figure out what BRP could have done to make such a change in the one year. I have a 2012 RT-LTD and it runs so cool it bothers me, usually between cold and half. Even in Durango CO. last year with temps 80 to 100 the temp gauge only got slightly over the half. My riding buddy has the same machine and we have compared gauges and his shows the same. We always ride double, usually 60 mph and run regular 87 gas and fill the tank right up. No gas smell, no heat, no problems, never been back to the dealer since 600 mile check up, do all my own service.
Roger

Frame change in 2013 to accommodate the 1330 engine. Engine was not ready so they welded on some mounts for the 998. Not enough clearance for exhaust nor air traveling around engine and trans.

You have a different frame.

Jack

oldguyinTX
10-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Glad to hear they are stepping up. I've been told by reliable sources that they haven't been sitting on this issue. Let's hope it gets resolved soon.

By the way, I always liked Frank Fontaine. He was a very good singer and comedian.

Sorry, guess again. Not Frank Fontaine.

flamingobabe
10-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Good luck.....hoping good things start to happen for the 2013 RT's.....I battled BRP for 16 months to fix my 2013 ST...now I have 10k trouble free miles....hoping for many more trouble free miles....good luck and keep us posted

robmorg
10-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Sorry, guess again. Not Frank Fontaine.That's Red Skelton playing Clem Kaddiddlehopper...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-jeIdQwKY&feature=player_detailpage

Chupaca
10-05-2014, 09:29 AM
and we are seeing more and more of this. I have always felt they were working on it but not finding solutions fast enough. Their handling of the communication lacked but they have gotten good people working on that. Keep us up to date if they find new improvements.... :thumbup:

Red Skelton had a great show...he had so much fun doing it...

oldguyinTX
10-05-2014, 09:39 AM
That's Red Skelton playing Clem Kaddiddlehopper...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-jeIdQwKY&feature=player_detailpage

Jackpot! You win all of my free advice with a money back guarantee!:roflblack::roflblack:

robmorg
10-05-2014, 09:40 AM
:agree: with everyone in this thread. That is FANTASTIC news. :thumbup:

...and PLEASE do keep the forum updated with how this project progresses.

And I'll take all the free advice I can get, oldguy. The fact that both of us know who Clem Kadiddlehopper is shows just how old we are. I often miss the good old days of black & white live TV shows.

PMK
10-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Hope you get resolution for the issues the machine has.

What is really odd in all this oem troubleshooting, sure seems to me they are pretty clueless if BRP is using owners machines to solve their problems.

Bit perplexed why BRP doesn't take a leftover machine and sort it out in house. Granted some have no issues, some do.

Mechanically each machine should be very close to the ones built before or after the one being worked on.

Again pretty strange way for BRP to resolve these problems.

Maybe there are a lot of behind closed door meetings and the NHTSA is pushing BRP for answers.

Again, hope they sort it out, myself I would have likely leaned towards them fixing their own problem. I'd wait for the final TSB or recall.

Sorry too sound negative towards BRP, the problem doesn't effect us, but still, one must wonder why they have sat back this long.

Interesting too how the new F3 has radiators that are angled in the direction of travel. Very seldom is this ever done. Time will tell.

PK

Roadster Renovations
10-05-2014, 10:17 AM
That is awesome! Sounds like BRP is moving on this issue. And, Red Skelton was my favorite!

hchays
10-05-2014, 10:20 AM
I got a similar call from BRP about the same issues on my 2013 RS. BRP does a good job of getting back to you and getting a claim number open. The issue I found was getting the dealer to do there part. I ended up calling my dealer due to no call from them. However once I got in touch with the service manager things moved along pretty smoothly. My Spyder is in the shop now getting all the updates and new 2014 side panels. I guess I'm saying this a little prematurely, but thank you BRP and Middletown Cycle for stepping up and taking care of the client!

Magdave
10-05-2014, 10:28 AM
:popcorn: Interesting I know you will keep us posted but it is a little late in the season to get the best results isn't it? My spyder always behaves after summer is past (for the most part) it is in the summer that it reeks the most. Shouldn't they be working with someone in Fla or the southwest for best results?

PMK
10-05-2014, 10:35 AM
:popcorn: Interesting I know you will keep us posted but it is a little late in the season to get the best results isn't it? My spyder always behaves after summer is past (for the most part) it is in the summer that it reeks the most. Shouldn't they be working with someone in Fla or the southwest for best results?

Knowing they have a BRP test facility in Florida where supposedly the Spyder was kind of born, then yes I would expect them to test in the most extreme conditions for heat. Who knows, maybe they now test Ski Doos here in the South.

However, being October 5th...I went out this morning to wash the Tacoma, it was actually pretty cool for my preference.

Again, I hope they resolve this, and all the best in a solution.

PK

Spyder_Cowgirl
10-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Nope .... it's Red Skelton (not sure which of his characters though ... maybe Klem Kadidlehopper?)

Best Regards .... Ann

robmorg
10-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Bit perplexed why BRP doesn't take a leftover machine and sort it out in house. Granted some have no issues, some do.

Mechanically each machine should be very close to the ones built before or after the one being worked on.

PK PK,

One would certainly think so. In theory, what you say makes perfect sense. :thumbup: But, if you believe the posts that you read in this forum, they are NOT the same. That's the thing that has always befuddled me. On one hand, you have Spyders like magdave's, which are showing extraordinary effects of the heat problem, including boiling gas, fumes, and overflowing evap canisters. (Not to mention the fires.) On the other hand, you have all kinds of people on this forum post that there is absolutely no heat problem with their 2013 Spyder. Mine is about half way in between these two extremes.

Granted that the folks who tend to report the largest problems tend to live in the southern states, but that is not always the case. Even given the geographical variances, and the tendency for some owners to be more concerned than others about the same issues, the disparity of this condition between various machines of the same year and model seem both surprising and perplexing. I take it that, by their course of action here, BRP is finally discovering this disparity, and it befuddles them as well.

JkRbbt
10-05-2014, 11:51 AM
I met Red Skelton several times flying out of Palm Springs. Absolute wonderful gentleman, the same in person as you saw on stage. Flight attendants loved him.
He many times rewarded good service with one of his famous clown drawings on a napkin or dinner plate. What a treasure that would be today!!

sduskin
10-05-2014, 12:40 PM
When we bought our spyders in June of 2014, we were very pleased overall with how they performed. I got the 2014 RT-S and my wife chose the 2013 ST-S due to its looks, rebates, etc.

About a month or so later, we traded in the 2013 ST-S because of the heat issues. It was so hot from the heat coming up between the glove box and the seat that she had to stop multiple times on a longer ride. This was on a brand new spyder! After multiple complaints to the dealer, they said there was nothing they could do about it. I read the threads on replacing the tupperware with 2014 design. Then looked to adding saddlebags, etc. After adding up all the expenses, it was worth eating the $3000 loss in value to trade in and up to get her a 2014 RT-S.

So, the heat issues appear to have been mostly resolved in the 2014 models and 105-110 degree July thru September rides are do-able.

Now we are 2 happy spyder riders! We would be even happier if we could keep our Harleys out of the service shop. :)

oldguyinTX
10-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Hope you get resolution for the issues the machine has.

What is really odd in all this oem troubleshooting, sure seems to me they are pretty clueless if BRP is using owners machines to solve their problems.

Again pretty strange way for BRP to resolve these problems.

Maybe there are a lot of behind closed door meetings and the NHTSA is pushing BRP for answers.

Again, hope they sort it out, myself I would have likely leaned towards them fixing their own problem. I'd wait for the final TSB or recall.

Sorry too sound negative towards BRP, the problem doesn't effect us, but still, one must wonder why they have sat back this long.

Interesting too how the new F3 has radiators that are angled in the direction of travel. Very seldom is this ever done. Time will tell.

PK

:agree: that mechanically, one Spyder should be the same as the next one, but as in any vehicle manufacturing process vehicle #2,000 may be totally different from vehicle #1,999. I, and many others on this forum, have wondered aloud why BRP did not take what seems to be the rational step of obtaining two Spyders from owners, one with the problems and one without, put 'em side by side, and figure out what the freakin' problem is. Now that it is fall here in the Northeast - 43 degrees this morning - my Spyder will most likely exhibit none of the heat related problems that it does in the summer, as it did last year. I will just have to wait & see what happens.

vided
10-05-2014, 12:52 PM

The great Clem Kadiddlehopper, aka Red Skelton :yes::yes:

PMK
10-05-2014, 01:09 PM
:agree: that mechanically, one Spyder should be the same as the next one, but as in any vehicle manufacturing process vehicle #2,000 may be totally different from vehicle #1,999. I, and many others on this forum, have wondered aloud why BRP did not take what seems to be the rational step of obtaining two Spyders from owners, one with the problems and one without, put 'em side by side, and figure out what the freakin' problem is. Now that it is fall here in the Northeast - 43 degrees this morning - my Spyder will most likely exhibit none of the heat related problems that it does in the summer, as it did last year. I will just have to wait & see what happens.

As in this and the other post a few back, mechanically, meaning the parts themselves should be the same. Otherwise replacement parts would not fit.

Let's hope that BRP engineers have practical experience and good communication skills, in both directions with your dealer.

Again, ll the best with it.

PK

ARtraveler
10-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Glad to hear that there is some movement in getting your issues solved.

Based on many prior posting going back to the start of :ani29:, BRP has been stepping up to the plate to try to get issues solved.

Everyone is not going to be perfectly pleased, and not every issue is going to get solved--but it does appear they are trying to be customer oriented more now, than ever before.

Things still move slower than we would like some times, but they are moving--in most cases.

A non-solicited, and non-compensated comment about BRP.

Bob Denman
10-05-2014, 04:29 PM
A non-solicited, and non-compensated comment about BRP.
:shocked: You forgot to say, "Your mileage may vary..." :D

ARtraveler
10-05-2014, 04:32 PM
:shocked: You forgot to say, "Your mileage may vary..." :D

And let me add: Your mileage may vary. :yes::yes:

Magdave
10-05-2014, 04:43 PM
My only concern is this effort is a smoke screen with BRP reporting no significant heat issues (due to lower ambient temps) and calling it a day and reporting to DOT the results. This effort SHOULD have happened in July or August not October. To be clear at this point mine is a middle of the heat range bike. The work I have done has made it rideable in the heat with random gas boil. Insulation and filling with Pure 93 gas prior to going home has minimized the excess gas fume to a point. Nothing has been done by or for me by BRP even with several contacts with them. All I ever got was see your dealer who is clueless.:dontknow: If I sounds like I do not trust them if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

jcthorne
10-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Maybe after 13 months of dealing with this only to be told that these issues are "normal", they might actually have something in the works. Time will tell, I guess. :pray::pray:

I certainly hope so. Maybe you will be the first to get the fixes they been rumored to be working on. i know you will keep us posted. We all hope for good news.

jcthorne
10-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Roger

Its obvious from your comments you do not understand the problems with the 2013s. It has nothing to do with the bike overheating, as in the temp gauge going toward the top of scale. The engine and its cooling system work fine....for the engine.

Its the heat on the rider and the fuel tank that are the issues. There have been a very small few 2013s that do overheat, but no more than for other model years, those have usually been defective thermostats, leaking coolant or defective temp switches not turning on the fan. These are not 2013 specific issues.

bscrive
10-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Dwight,

I sure do hope that they get your bike set up right. I do agree that their timing is a little off and that testing should have been done in the summer months. Who knows, maybe they will want you to bring your bike to Florida for their testing. Val would probably not mind.

Brian

bronzeflex42
10-05-2014, 09:13 PM
I have to agree. I also have a 2012 RT Limited and since i've had it, it's been trouble free. I can't complain bout mine because it has been nothing but fun to ride. I previously owned a honda shadow 750 and my spyder is far better. Thank God i have not had any brake downs and reading a couple of riders having issues with fire, is scary. I don't want to ride in fear and thinking my bike might flame up. I hear so many heat related issues on this forum kind of make you worry. It's hard to imagine spending the kind of money for these bikes and you can't trust them. I just pray before I ride, and ride on...All in all i hope all my fellow spyder riders get their problems solved and keep loving their spyders.

oldguyinTX
10-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Dwight,

I sure do hope that they get your bike set up right. I do agree that their timing is a little off and that testing should have been done in the summer months. Who knows, maybe they will want you to bring your bike to Florida for their testing. Val would probably not mind.

Brian

Yeah, I'm sure that she would hate that! Maybe ride down on a clown bike? 96428:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: