PDA

View Full Version : Comfort set or seal floorboards?

Gumbeau
10-02-2014, 07:15 PM
I have a new 2014 Spyder RTL. I AM IN LOVE. I would like to get some advice from the taller riders on this forum. I am 6'5" tall with long legs. I am considering the purchase of either a comfort seat or a set of Seal floorboards. Which one would you purchase first? I will probably get both, but which one would you get first? My average ride, thus far, is about 75 miles (only have 350 miles on the Spyder). I am planning some longer rides after the breakin period. Looking for a bit more comfort. Any advice would appreciated

thanks

Dragonrider
10-02-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm 6'5" and had Seals on my 2010 - they were the 2nd farkle I added to my new 2014.

Cruzr Joe
10-02-2014, 07:22 PM
on the RTL you should be looking at Highway Pegs, you already have floor boards. No other floorboards are going to change your position much.

Cruzr Joe

Dragonrider
10-02-2014, 07:28 PM
As a tall rider, I haven't found a set of "road pegs" worth a plug $0.05 (yes, I've looked at a lot, and tried/junked 4, before my Seals)..... NONE allow us to put our feet in a useful position. As far as a seat, I found the Corbin with the Lamonster cut to be the best choice - it rolls your hips back, and doesn't steal room from the SO.....

Motorcycledave
10-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Road pegs AND floorboards as a combo .... do it now for a tall guy like you it will make all the difference
in the world.. I am 6'2" with a 32 in. inseam Long Legs it has always worked for me on many bikes and trikes.
Dave

I have a new 2014 Spyder RTL. I AM IN LOVE. I would like to get some advice from the taller riders on this forum. I am 6'5" tall with long legs. I am considering the purchase of either a comfort seat or a set of Seal floorboards. Which one would you purchase first? I will probably get both, but which one would you get first? My average ride, thus far, is about 75 miles (only have 350 miles on the Spyder). I am planning some longer rides after the breakin period. Looking for a bit more comfort. Any advice would appreciated

thanks

Don in E Texas
10-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Is there an issue with after market floor boards on some 2014 models? Thought the new bikes have break away floor boards on the right side? Is there an issue? I'm just asking the question...do not have a 2014. BUT on my 2010 I have the large, long, Seal floorboards and they are GREAT!. I'm short (6'2") and it works for me....feet all the way at the ends of the boards is about the same as highway pegs. A lot of surface area to move around on as well.

For added comfort on trips, may I suggest an Air Hawk cushion?

Don

CANUCK SPYDER
10-03-2014, 09:54 AM

thanks

Im Amazed at 6.5 you would be remotely comfortable, I dont mean that in negative way at all. Im 6' and my 2008 was horrible for my self on long runs 45min-hour would wanna jump off and stand up. Often told peeps If one was young 5 6' and in shape be fine but Im none of the three. I am not familar how the 2014 are so I say that with an uneducated tone. But my 08 I was able to buy Hiway pegs which made all the difference have the option to stretch out now if wanted. I also went with the BRP Comfort seat mainly cause it was on the shelf and brought and put it on same day OEM seat not a very compfy piece either for a long run 08 any way. Every ones different and im guessing with your height if not comfortable its no fun. Last summer when I got my trike coming back from a 2000Km/1200Mile trip with buds all I could think was I MUST find some things that will make this machine rideable for a long haul. And I did it thanks too This Forum....D

Cruzr Joe
10-03-2014, 10:45 AM
I would not replace the break away floorboards, they are there for a reason.

go with a set of Lamont's highway pegs

cruzr joe

Bob Denman
10-03-2014, 11:00 AM
:agree: Lamont's pegs, and the Ultimate Seat... :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Im Amazed at 6.5 you would be remotely comfortable, I dont mean that in negative way at all. Im 6' and my 2008 was horrible for my self on long runs 45min-hour would wanna jump off and stand up.D

:lecturef_smilie: Different bike, and different seating position... :D

Dragonrider
10-03-2014, 11:39 AM
My issue with road pegs on the RT is (1) they need to be between the body and front wheel to offer comfortable foot placement, and none can be placed there, or close. (2) Because of where they attach, none are robust enough for me.

I realize some folks can lay their leg on the top of the peg, but I never wear boots, and couldn't get my foot back to the brake fast enough for my comfort. With the Seals, it's never a problem.

I bought the base RT because I (REALLY dislike) the front fenders, black or chrome rims, and the cheesy $1,000 foot pads - so adding the Seals was a 10 minute job, and I have unlimited foot placement, with instant brake access.

The alternative is to add the ISCI hand brake - a top notch piece of equipment - then you can put your feet where you are most comfortable, in any position you want, without a worry.

Lots of different folks here, with different likes and needs - but I AM a tall guy, with over 30K RT riding miles....

Bob Denman
10-03-2014, 12:33 PM
No doubt; the Seal 'Boards are pretty darn nice... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
10-03-2014, 01:36 PM

thanks

Hard decision--Comfort Seat or Seal's. We have both on the 2011--they do make a difference. We are both 5' 5" here-- so cannot address tall issues. The comfort seat--IMO-- is much better than the OEM on the 2011. The Seals allow you to move the feet around.