PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Navigation Unit Questions

obiwan57
10-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Hello, Spyder Riders, as a complete newbie (2013) Spyder RT Limited purchased 27 September), I have yet to really delve into the nav unit. Can anyone tell me if it integrates with the stereo speakers for voice guidance? How much does Garmin charge for the lifetime map updates? I have reset the unit and began programming destinations.

This weekend I will do some orientation on the Spyder and practice, since I have come over from a Harley Ultra Classic. Thanks in advance, I am really looking forward to enjoying the road on this machine! :ani29:

Bob Denman
10-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Yes; it uses the stereo speakers, and I also believe that it comes with lifetime map updates as well... :thumbup:

Gray Ghost
10-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Some came with lifetime updates, some did not. You can tell if your did by taking off the battery cover and looking at the model number, if it has LM at the end, you have lifetime updates. IIRC updating to lifetime is about 80 dollars.

billybovine
10-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Download and install Garmin Express onto your computer. Then plug your Zumo 660 into the computer and Garmin Express will tell you if map or firmware updates are available to install. If you got a gps without lifetime maps you only have a short period of time to install one new map free. Garmin Express also give you access to the full manual that does not come with the gps, only the quick start guide does.

PS if you have have to buy lifetime map don't buy it directly from Garmin. It is generally cheaper to buy the same Garmin map from gpscity.com.

obiwan57
10-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Download and install Garmin Express onto your computer. Then plug your Zumo 660 into the computer and Garmin Express will tell you if map or firmware updates are available to install. If you got a gps without lifetime maps you only have a short period of time to install one new map free. Garmin Express also give you access to the full manual that does not come with the gps, only the quick start guide does.

PS if you have have to buy lifetime map don't buy it directly from Garmin. It is generally cheaper to buy the same Garmin map from gpscity.com.

Thanks for the tip, I do believe that I have to update, I will check the battery, but I think it's just the Garmin 660, not the 660L.

billybovine
10-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the tip, I do believe that I have to update, I will check the battery, but I think it's just the Garmin 660, not the 660L.

Look under the battery for the actual model.

While you are updating, the dealer file is old and out of date. Download and install a new dealer file. see link. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64874-New-dealer-list-for-Garmin-GPS