PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Engineered 2012 Limited Spyder

Nudels2u75
09-30-2014, 04:47 AM
These spyders are Unreal,
I rememberd when I first purchased this thing new, Just to Install a New K&N air filter was a nightmare.....Unreal
This is the first time I change the oil, as I have always had it done at the shop.....Totally Unreal
Just Installed New spark Plugs...Totally Unreal

I have probably owned close to or in the neighborhood of 100 motorcycles and have never had to go through this nightmare to do maintenance on a bike.....

I can just Imagine what the new 3 cyclinders would be like.....

The stealership had put the oil drian plug in so tight that is snapped the 6 MM allen head socket right off....I had to put a long allen wrench with a cheater pipe onto it to break it loose.....the little copper washer was destroyed......what an idiot had tighted a drain plug like that...

If there is anybody out there with litle mechanicle skills do not attemt this at home, pay somebody to do the oil change and spark plugs....as much as I hate to say it send it to the local stealership, better yet find somebody close to you that has the experience to get -r-done

zamfield
09-30-2014, 05:39 AM
Well that's a poorly engineered mechanic, not the bikes fault!

I've had 2 wheeled bikes that were a pain to work on, whilst others were very easy.
The Spyder is no different, although it's certainly not a 2 wheeled machine!

That said, my ST is a breeze to work on, once the plastic is removed.

Bob Denman
09-30-2014, 06:55 AM
:shocked: You might need to buy another Honda...
Oh wait... they catch fire too!

How long have you had the bike??

3 Wheel Addict
09-30-2014, 07:18 AM
The air filter and oil service is a breeze on the new 3 cylinder, have not tried the plugs yet.

Nudels2u75
09-30-2014, 07:36 AM
The ST does not have all of the Bells and Whistles,<br><br><br>Look under the hood of the Limited with all of the Xtra's on it....Just one Big Nightmare<br><br>Most Uncomfortable thing I have ever riden<br><br>I currently own 3 Tour bikes<br><br>2012 White&nbsp;Limited With the matching trailer, with over 10K of xtra's on them<br>2014 CVO Limited Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle<br>2010 Honda Goldwing with about 10K of xtra's<br>2 late model sport bikes<br>2 vintage bikes<br><br>NONE of these bikes have to be dismanteled to do maintenance....I also ride about 50K miles a year or more, so I do quite a bit of maintenance weekly...

Nudels2u75
09-30-2014, 07:41 AM
:shocked: You might need to buy another Honda...
Oh wait... they catch fire too!

How long have you had the bike??

I just orderd a new 2015 Honda Goldwing Anniversary trading my 2010 Goldwing In

zamfield
09-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Well, there's your issue... Every bike you listed has two wheels... The Spyder is a different animal (insect?!) altogether.

You wouldn't compare a car to a bike... Can't understand why people try to compare the Spyder? :gaah::dontknow:

Dudley
09-30-2014, 08:28 AM
A mild suggestion...sell the Spyder before you hyperventilate and have serious health issues and enjoy your other bikes.

Nudels2u75
09-30-2014, 08:35 AM
I have stayed there several times and spent New years there once, stayed there for a wek.......Went hiking up to the hole.....What an awesome road trip....

Pirate looks at --
09-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Well, there's your issue... Every bike you listed has two wheels... The Spyder is a different animal (insect?!) altogether.

You wouldn't compare a car to a bike... Can't understand why people try to compare the Spyder? :gaah::dontknow:

the Spyder is not an insect it is an arachnid :roflblack:. Insects have 6 legs!

bruiser
09-30-2014, 08:57 AM
It ain't so hard to work on.

lwrydr
09-30-2014, 08:57 AM
My friend and I just worked on my :spyder2: (2013 RTL) and yes it was a pain in the fanny. Had to remove a lot of tupperware to get to things. Taking out the resonator was a real fun project but we got it done. Installed JT's air filter and just ordered the quiet filter. Will see how much fun that is to install.

metman
09-30-2014, 08:59 AM
So (Nudels2u75),

Do I need to add you to my "Ignore List" or will you be leaving the forum voluntarily? Enjoy your Honda.

Mike in KY
A satisfied and proud owner of a 2012 RT-S SE5 with 26K+ miles in 18 months and 28 states, and I do all my own maintenance work. BTW, this is the first motorcycle of any kind I've ever owned in my 68 years.

PS. I still haven't figured out how to change my map. Pennsylvania should be red also.

Bob Denman
09-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Mike,
I think that you need to go back to the site where you got the map, and just build yourself a new one.
:congrats: on filling in "Pennsyltucky"!

BajaRon
09-30-2014, 11:06 AM
There are some difficulties working on the Spyder. But I've had some other rides that were no joy to work on, depending on what you wanted to do.

Adjusting the valves on my 750 Honda was no joy. And it had to be done fairly often to keep it running at peak. Balancing the carbs was a tedious job as well.

Trying to get the 2 Amal carbs on my brother's 650 Triumph balanced was an effort in futility.

The thing about the Spyder is, you need to do something a few times to get efficient at it. Doing it the 1st time can seem to be a real pain. But as you get better at it, things tend to smooth out.

Riding it is sure easier than any 2 wheels I've ever owned. I haven't fallen over yet!

Bob Denman
09-30-2014, 11:09 AM
...even though they've put one heckuva big dent in the market for sidestands... 96091

Dragonrider
09-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Spyders are not the easiest bikes to work on, granted. But for those who want to complain, have you ever worked on a K12 BMW?? At least the Spyder doesn't need a working $1100 center stand to work on it.

mtdoragary
09-30-2014, 11:43 AM
All of my gold wings were harder to work on. I believe they hang the thermostat from a rafter and build the bike around it.... kind of like a Corvette heater core!

ARtraveler
09-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Sorry about your issues concerning not easy to work on. A lot of machines are that way these days.

I am not mechanical, so have the dealer do all my stuff. Therefore, I am very happy with my current :spyder2:'s and was also happy with the previous :ani29:'s.

:spyder2:'s are not for everyone, but you have come to a somewhat biased site. Most of us like them.

BajaRon
09-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Friend blew a head gasket on his 6L Ford F-350 diesel. Guess what! You have to pull the cab to get the heads off!

I'll take my Spyder any day over that! :yikes:

Netminder
09-30-2014, 05:59 PM
I changed the motor in my Ford futura (Fairmont/Granada)from a 4 cyl. to a 6cyl. In my driveway, with the help from a friend with a tow truck! But that was many years ago, when I didn't mind lying in the gravel. :yikes: The Spyder is not to bad to work on, but I do it on a cement floor with the right tools. Learned a few lessons over the years, and the body doesn't allow the things I did back then. Although I haven't attempted the air breather yet!

900Dave
09-30-2014, 06:58 PM
HMMM! My first oil & filter change lasted about an hour or so. But not as long as thought it would take.

StanProff
09-30-2014, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=Nudels2u75;882329]These spyders are Unreal
I rememberd when I first purchased this thing new, Just to Install a New K&N air filter was a nightmare.....Unreal "
This is the first time I change the oil, as I have always had it done at the shop.....Totally Unreal

I have probably owned close to or in the neighborhood of 100 motorcycles and have never had to go through this nightmare to do maintenance on a bike.....

The stealership had put the oil drian plug in so tight that is snapped the 6 MM allen head socket right off....I had to put a long allen wrench with a cheater pipe onto it to break it loose.....the little copper washer was destroyed......what an idiot had tighted a drain plug like that... "

If there is anybody out there with litle mechanicle skills do not attemt this at home, pay somebody to do the oil change and spark plugs....as much as I hate to say it send it to the local stealership, better yet find somebody close to you that has the experience to get -r-done

Maybe your not cut out to be a Spyder owner. Seems like your really down on the Spyder. If I have something that I felt that way about I'd get rid if it. Good luck.

Chupaca
09-30-2014, 07:47 PM
you picked the wrong day to work on it. They are not as easy as those skeltal two wheelers but if you are not in a good mood to start with things can go sideways very easily. The drain plugs can be difficult. May have been overtightened but some oils with heat can crystalize like locktite. I find that putting the allen in place and tapping it with a hammer will brake it loose. If you set the time aside to do your oil change clean and check the area and taje your time you will find it quite satisfing. Do it in a rush and you will hate it...:thumbup:

DR Buck
09-30-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't see the problem. I can change the oil and filter on my 2012 RT Ltd in about 30 minutes. :dontknow:

Dudley
09-30-2014, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=DR Buck;882837]I don't see the problem. I can change the oil and filter on my 2012 RT Ltd in about 30 minutes. :dontknow:[/QUO

I take over 3 hours and have been doing it every 5,000 miles since my first Spyder in 2008. I now have 94,000 miles combined, 51,000 miles on my last one, a 2010 RT. So do the math for how many times I have done the oil change. But I enjoy it, I am never in a hurry, look the underneath of the Tupperware really carefully, Simple Green the engine, look for any excessive external oil, etc. I love the Spyder, it's my only passion.

crazyspyder
09-30-2014, 11:47 PM
SORRY -I have to agree with the said statement. from owning one for about 2 yrs. now, I can say by experience that this 2012 spyder RT se5 has alotsa poor engineer faults.
to name a few;
gas smell
incredibly hot
oil leaks
running lean (vacuum hoses n what notz)
boiling gas
brakes squeal and vibrate (they say its normal) (but then they tell me all of this is NORMAL)
other then that --I love riding this bike!
I am willing to bet I have a lemon, because its been in the service shop more times that I can count - 10x to be exact!
as far as doing my own maintenance.....no way.

Nudels2u75
10-01-2014, 08:42 AM
As I only purchased this spyder for a winter bike, As I can not pick my other ones up...
Not sure if you have done your spark plug wires, and new plugs yet-----Don't try this at home...

I do not like taking any of my bikes to the stealerships, as I usually end up correcting their mistakes

It is not only your spyder, as I have had mine in the shop about 10x for warranty work also and I have less then 20k miles on it..

It also appears the front head may be leaking oil, as it is running down my front cyclinder, not sure why that was not noticed the last time I had the oil changed at stealership, less then 5K miles ago...

Also I just noticed the compartment where your air goes into the breather box had about a 1/2 pint of oil in it yesterday...I had to get a sponge and get it out of there...

Also my rear brakes burn out about every 5K miles and they do not know why...LOL

Stealership favorite saying is ...CAN NOT DUPLICATE...LOL

KX5062
10-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Your oil leak is one and the same thing. It has been covered many times here on SL. It is excessive blow-by from the crankcase vent into the airbox. If you lower your oil level by 1/2 quart it will go away. Easy peasy.

As to how hard to work on...... Stay away from a Honda VFR if you want hard to work on. Just say'n.:doorag:

Nudels2u75
10-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Honda does have New 3 wheeler set up like spyder, with the 2 wheels in the front 1800CC Goldwing...Conversion Kit

And just released a new QUAD 1800CC Goldwing..Conversion Kit

Bob Denman
10-01-2014, 10:17 AM
...And since it's not a kit from Honda; good luck finding somebody to work on your bike... or have any warranty work done. :shocked:
We've already seen them...

Dan McNally
10-01-2014, 10:26 AM
:dontknow: . . . whoops . . . apparently, I logged into SpyderHaters, not SpyderLovers . . . how did that happen . . . I thought it was bookmarked . . . I need coffee . . . :coffee:

Bob Denman
10-01-2014, 10:31 AM
:D :2thumbs:

:lecturef_smilie: But remember:
Everybody is entitled to an opinion... ;)

jcthorne
10-01-2014, 10:31 AM
I agree. I have worked on many other vehicles other than the Spyder. Some are easier but the Spyder is not that bad. Given its configuration, I really have no complaints on ease of service. An oil change on my GT is a 4 hour affair that involves 132 screws. Spyder is much easier than that. I love them both.

finless
10-01-2014, 01:19 PM
I have done my 2nd and 3rd oil changes myself. First time it took about 2 hours as I took my time and learned. 2nd time took me 40 minutes and this included R&R of the panels. I am not trying to brag here but it is not that hard in my opinion.

You want to do something hard, try installing the tri-axis handle bars yourself!
Now that is what I consider moderately hard.

Bob

crazyspyder
10-01-2014, 10:34 PM
I just don't have it in me, I'd rather pay to have it done - maybe I am tooo phatt , old and pure lazy.:popcorn:

Bob Denman
10-02-2014, 06:54 AM
:D We must be Twins... :D

OJ UK
10-02-2014, 09:12 AM
The ST does not have all of the Bells and Whistles,
Look under the hood of the Limited with all of the Xtra's on it
....Just one Big Nightmare
Most Uncomfortable thing I have ever riden
I currently own 3 Tour bikes 2012 White Limited With the matching trailer,
with over 10K of xtra's on them 2014 CVO Limited Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle
2010 Honda Goldwing with about 10K of xtra's 2 late model sport bikes 2 vintage bikes
NONE of these bikes have to be dismanteled to do maintenance....
I also ride about 50K miles a year or more, so I do quite a bit of maintenance weekly...

Well, it seems that there's nothing right about the Spyder! A few people here might disagree, however.
Still, your avid dislike begs a question or two:
WHY on Earth did you buy it in the first place and WHY have you still got it??

Bob Denman
10-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Sorry... :agree:

GunDoctor
10-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Be nice to hear a dealer mechanic ring in, since they do it day in and day out.

Bob Denman
10-02-2014, 09:48 AM
It WOULD be nice to catch that perspective... :thumbup:

Dan McNally
10-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Be nice to hear a dealer mechanic ring in, since they do it day in and day out.
Wouldn't Lamont fall in that category, now ?. . . he seems to love the Spyder . . . as do I.

GunDoctor
10-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Why yes, yes he would. I know if he had more thumbs he would up them all.

jerpinoy
10-02-2014, 07:35 PM
I don't see the problem. I can change the oil and filter on my 2012 RT Ltd in about 30 minutes. :dontknow:

Love it but can you detail your work, please coz it took me longer than that.

jerpinoy
10-02-2014, 08:09 PM
These spyders are Unreal,
I rememberd when I first purchased this thing new, Just to Install a New K&N air filter was a nightmare.....Unreal

The stealership had put the oil drian plug in so tight that is snapped the 6 MM allen head socket right off....I had to put a long allen wrench with a cheater pipe onto it to break it loose.....the little copper washer was destroyed......what an idiot had tighted a drain plug like that...

I just did my oil change and I agree that it was pain in the fanny but I did it with less panel removed and I'm lucky the drain bolt was not too tight like yours. The tools in the pouch are not enough for me but I have more than enough I own. Most importantly I enjoyed what I did and learned more about my Spyder.

billrob71
10-02-2014, 08:24 PM
:chill:

Love my Spyder and at least my RSS is a piece of cake to work on , this is not a complicated machine at all to work on. RTs do have a few more panels but it's just a different procedure for taking it apart and once you done it a couple of times it shouldn't be a issue to get apart. If your unhappy with your spyder then maybe move back to something your more familiar and comfortable with but, it's not nice to dis the machine just because it takes you a lot of time to get things apart, they are a well made and well thought out bike. If your unhappy with your dealer find another.

crazyspyder
10-02-2014, 09:39 PM
I WISHED I had a spy camera on me today, I went and had an hour long chat with service manager about my spyder this morning.
2x in his conversation he stated or implied poorly engineered spyder ( my RT in reference). imagine that!:yikes: he ended the conversation by
saying '' I sure hope we got all the bugs fixed and have a good day''... but pick up your spyder in a couple of days.:mad:
YEAH I love my spyder tooo but -it's not WELL made and certainly not WELL thought off !:banghead:
my rant is for my particular case and may not apply to others.:thumbup:

Nudels2u75
10-03-2014, 06:23 AM
When you ride to work in the winter @ 17 below, it does not work out well on 2 wheels, and that is not even dropping in the chill/wind/rain/snow/sleet factors....As I am not able to hold up any of my other bikes in the winter months

Bob Denman
10-03-2014, 07:04 AM
I WISHED I had a spy camera on me today, I went and had an hour long chat with service manager about my spyder this morning.
2x in his conversation he stated or implied poorly engineered spyder ( my RT in reference). imagine that!:yikes: he ended the conversation by
saying '' I sure hope we got all the bugs fixed and have a good day''... but pick up your spyder in a couple of days.:mad:
YEAH I love my spyder tooo but -it's not WELL made and certainly not WELL thought off !:banghead:
my rant is for my particular case and may not apply to others.:thumbup:

If you push enough buttons; you can make anybody show their frustration... :banghead:
You need a more competent Service Manager; the old one should go back to the Fast-Food Industry for empolyment again...

crazyspyder
10-03-2014, 09:58 AM
If you push enough buttons; you can make anybody show their frustration... :banghead:
You need a more competent Service Manager; the old one should go back to the Fast-Food Industry for employment again...
:agree: n :agree: soon this will be behind me and I will be grinning from ear to ear
riding my favorite bike. have a good day and a good ride!:ohyea:

Bob Denman
10-03-2014, 10:16 AM
:thumbup: You too; my friend! :D