PDA

View Full Version : Size of side hard cases?

WackyDan
09-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Anyone have those specs? How many liters? Is BRP watching this sub forum so they can put together a quick FAQ?

Bob Denman
09-29-2014, 11:14 AM
They call them the, "Cross Country Detachable Saddlebags"...
And I'm having a rotten time, getting their website to work for me... :gaah:
I'll keep digging, and see if I can find the specs on them...

BikerDoc
09-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Given the price I have to seriously consider saddle bag alternatives. Precise specs do seem difficult to find just yet

dguisinger
09-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Its frustrating how little information is available. Its also not just a matter of volume, its the shape of it.

I have the saddle bags for the RS... my helmet just barely doesn't fit.
The RS trunk may be 12 gal, but the slope makes it hard to fit many items, the top 5 gallons are so oddly shaped it only really works consistently for a jacket on top.

While I've got a F3 on order, I'm really bummed over the lack of storage on this thing....the utility is going to drop significantly, I used to always grab my RS for runs to the grocery store or hardware store.

SpyderRx
09-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Here is a screen shot directly from the catalog. Looks like they are 6.5 gallons each. Didn't realize they are vinyl and not plastic.

dguisinger
09-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Here is a screen shot directly from the catalog. Looks like they are 6.5 gallons each. Didn't realize they are vinyl and not plastic.

They finally got the catalog out?

daveinva
09-29-2014, 02:49 PM
$1299?!? :yikes: You have got to be :cus: kidding me...

You have to get the hard color-matched HD saddlebags to beat that price-- and they're far nicer than BRP: http://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/motorcycle-saddlebags

BRP, I love ya, but you crazzzzzyyyy...

SpyderRx
09-29-2014, 04:18 PM
They finally got the catalog out?
They do. I downloaded it on my iPhone and iPad. It's under BRP magazine app

WackyDan
09-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Whoa...

6.5 gallons is 24.6 liters. That is 10 liters less per side bag than the current BRP/Givi side bags that most of us have.

So... Small trunk, smaller stock BRP side bags, and the mono seat storage is only 1 gallon/3.78 liters.

So the rub is this:

If you go aftermarket bag mounts and have something similar to the BRP/Givi V35's, how much does that ruin the look of the F3?
If you find an aftermarket top case that somehow mounts to the F3, how much does that ruin the look of the F3?

The answer I think is it ruins the look of the F3. I guess the aftermarket will have the final say in that but, they generally make one size fits all and not custom "only fits one bike model" cases.

Before any of you suggest that the RT is the better Spyder for that conversation above, I'd say the RT isn't for me. Fantastic machine all around, but not my deal right now. What I am describing could est be summed up as an ST, but without the 1330 it is a no deal.

Sigh...

dguisinger
09-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Whoa...

6.5 gallons is 24.6 liters. That is 10 liters less per side bag than the current BRP/Givi side bags that most of us have.

So... Small trunk, smaller stock BRP side bags, and the mono seat storage is only 1 gallon/3.78 liters.

So the rub is this:

If you go aftermarket bag mounts and have something similar to the BRP/Givi V35's, how much does that ruin the look of the F3?
If you find an aftermarket top case that somehow mounts to the F3, how much does that ruin the look of the F3?

The answer I think is it ruins the look of the F3. I guess the aftermarket will have the final say in that but, they generally make one size fits all and not custom "only fits one bike model" cases.

Before any of you suggest that the RT is the better Spyder for that conversation above, I'd say the RT isn't for me. Fantastic machine all around, but not my deal right now. What I am describing could est be summed up as an ST, but without the 1330 it is a no deal.

Sigh...

not cool at all... How on earth can you tour with that? Where do you stick two helmets and any changes of clothes?!?!

i noticed they don't list pricing for their packages, does that mean BRP is not building them at the factory? It's just a recommended combination?

doctorlbug
09-29-2014, 05:09 PM
I had been looking at the Corbin Fleetliner saddlebags, and the smuggler trunk as I was looking at getting a ST.
Now I'm looking at the F3, and wrote Corbin about these storage bags, and they said they would probably have some for the F3 depending on the demand, so send them an emai and ask about these bags for the F3

vondalyn
09-29-2014, 05:21 PM
I MAY end up thinking giving up all my RT storage stinks, but at the moment I'm planning on finding/installing the end cap helmet locks like I currently have on my RT (don't know if they're transferrable yet), and I'll probably go back to wearing a backpack to work, or maybe go back to using just a laptop case instead of my current laptop backpack that fits in my RT frunk.

I'm debating the saddlebags too... I will admit to being used to always having rain gear onboard and it's nice to carry around my warmer gear for those rides where I start out hot down here and end up freezing up at the top of trail ridge and then the reverse on the way back home. Still... I won't have the laptop with me on those rides, so the smaller frunk should hold my pants and gloves/whatever.

That said... I was always fine with no external storage on 2 wheels, so I think I can handle going back to limited storage.

WackyDan
09-29-2014, 07:03 PM
not cool at all... How on earth can you tour with that? Where do you stick two helmets and any changes of clothes?!?!

i noticed they don't list pricing for their packages, does that mean BRP is not building them at the factory? It's just a recommended combination?

To be honest, nobody who came from two wheels stores their helmet in the bike but on it/locked on it/or they take it with them.

The BRP marketing machine made everyone think that just because you could fit two helmets in the frunk, or one of the side cases that indeed that was the intended use.

I generally use the frunk for some spare parts, small tool kit, quart of oil, pint of brake fluid, a funnel, some cleaning supplies, bike cover, and the liners to my riding jacket. The two side cases hold my clothes. The V46 top case holds my electronics including potentially my laptop, sun screen, flashlights, water, snacks, etc. I have a tail bag that is nothing but rain gear. That may seem like a lot, but it isn't - I just like to have things organized and in their own little silo of access.

Even trimming that down quite a bit, I don't think I could make it work on the F3... I could carry half the clothes, not carry spares, just carry my tablet, but the bulky rain gear? The jacket liners? I dunno... It isn't a touring machine for a week+ on the road, but for a weekend with predictable weather? Sure.

dguisinger
09-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Wait

so...
Trunk is half the size
Saddlebags are half the size
the rack requires removing the passenger seat
And
even though they have touring packages the brand new trailer only works with the ST and RT?

im really getting annoyed by how little they valued storage even as add on options.... Who cares about the look when you have a passenger and are going on a 500 mile trip? Why not offer more usable saddlebags?

i will say at least they are top loading vs the old ones where everything fell out...

Colin
09-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Well if it isn't going to suit your riding/touring needs, maybe consider getting something that does.
At least all the options to accessorise the F3 are there for all to see and make a decision based on
what there is available.

Bob Denman
09-30-2014, 05:23 PM
:agree: It does give you another option to consider. :thumbup:
It's up to you, as to whether it is a viable option; or not! ;)

spyderrock
09-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Wait

so...
Trunk is half the size
Saddlebags are half the size
the rack requires removing the passenger seat
And
even though they have touring packages the brand new trailer only works with the ST and RT?

im really getting annoyed by how little they valued storage even as add on options.... Who cares about the look when you have a passenger and are going on a 500 mile trip? Why not offer more usable saddlebags?

i will say at least they are top loading vs the old ones where everything fell out...

About the F3, I heard from a very reliable source that it can and will tow a trailer. Lamont is getting an F3 and he goes know where with out a trailer, every spyder he has had has a trailer hooked to it. Look at all his past pictures and you see a trailer on every bike lol. Lets wait to see what Lamont comes up with for Daytona bike week...BRP gave him an F3 to hotrod for the big event.

daveinva
09-30-2014, 06:47 PM
About the F3, I heard from a very reliable source that it can and will tow a trailer.

If true, one would think that would be a factory option advertised on the BRP site, yet it's not.

Technically, the *RS* can and will tow a trailer, too-- you just have to do the modding yourself. But it's not an OEM-approved solution-- which makes one ask, will the F3 actually have a factory/dealer option for the trailer?