PDA

View Full Version : Axle Caps

Vader
09-27-2014, 04:30 PM
I am sure there will be some who take issue with my solution..but here it goes
I wanted to cover up the axle nuts but without spending a ton. I looked around to see what kind of caps were out there and decided to give it a shot. By accident while organizing my ice fishing tackle,I came across a piece of 2 1/2" PVC tubing laying around. It fit over the nuts.
I then took a ride to Lowe's and purchased two PVC caps, 4 for $4.16. After cutting 1 3/4" lengths of the PVC tubing for each of the caps, I smacked the sections of tubing into the end caps. Next, I used my miter hand saw and box to cut them to length. Then 80 grit sand paper and a utility knife to remove the raised lettering on the caps and add some roughness for paint to stick. A few thin coats of the trim paint followed by some coats of Rustoleum, which i already had, and I was done. A ride over to the car cruise topping out at 50mph yielded no issues with the caps staying on. I'm sure some RTV would make it very secure,but they are pretty tight as is. Below are some pics.
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s442/AndrewJWard/Mobile%20Uploads/20140926_105834_zpszog81fm3.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/AndrewJWard/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140926_105834_zpszog81fm3.jpg.html)
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s442/AndrewJWard/Mobile%20Uploads/20140927_122449_zpsl6b6bwws.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/AndrewJWard/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140927_122449_zpsl6b6bwws.jpg.html)

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s442/AndrewJWard/Mobile%20Uploads/20140927_122521_zpsvono0whn.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/AndrewJWard/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140927_122521_zpsvono0whn.jpg.html)

philblumenfeld
09-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Very nice job, a man after my own heart.

billybovine
09-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Good job making very good looking replacements.

Why did you choose to make caps rather than buy OE ones to replace the ones you lost?

Vader
09-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Good job making very good looking replacements.

Why did you choose to make caps rather than buy OE ones to replace the ones you lost?

Thanks Billy..when i bought my Spyder back in July, it did not have any. And i did see some online that looked cool..but I just sorta stumbled across the fact the pvc would fit. So i decided to run with it..and if i lose one they're easy enough to make. And no waiting for delivery

Vader
09-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Very nice job, a man after my own heart.

Thanks Phil!

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-27-2014, 06:59 PM
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes::yes::yes::yes::agree:.............I love people who think out of the box:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::t humbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbu p:......................................Mike

Vader
09-27-2014, 07:12 PM
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes::yes::yes::yes::agree:.............I love people who think out of the box:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::t humbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbu p:......................................Mike

Thanks Mike..I have other ideas for different ones. Different colors..perhaps LED lighting to add visibility, some spikes secured to the outer curve of the cap so they stick straight out..

Chupaca
09-27-2014, 08:48 PM
thanks for the post. Mine never had the front ones just the rear. Yours is a great solution. Question..on the rear nut with the cotter pin how did you work that..?? They look great....:2thumbs:

jerpinoy
09-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Looks great with your personal touch.:yes:

DrewNJ
09-27-2014, 10:23 PM
While I can totally dig the thinking outside the box element, the stock oem caps are only $5ea.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-27-2014, 10:30 PM
While I can totally dig the thinking outside the box element, the stock oem caps are only $5ea.:gaah:............................At Christmas time, do you tell as many children as possible ................THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS .....................just a thought .........................Mike :lecturef_smilie:

DrewNJ
09-27-2014, 10:31 PM
:gaah:............................At Christmas time, do you tell as many children as possible ................THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS .....................just a thought .........................Mike :lecturef_smilie:
Yes, I try to get to as many as I can....[emoji23]

jthornton
09-28-2014, 06:39 AM
Pretty neat! That's thinking out of the box.

JT

Vader
09-28-2014, 06:45 AM
thanks for the post. Mine never had the front ones just the rear. Yours is a great solution. Question..on the rear nut with the cotter pin how did you work that..?? They look great....:2thumbs:

Thanks for the comment. They just slipped on. I'm not sure what the cotter pin looked like on yours.

Vader
09-28-2014, 06:50 AM
While I can totally dig the thinking outside the box element, the stock oem caps are only $5ea.

Really? I didn't looked into the stock ones and didn't know that most of the 2008's were sent to dealer without them until after I started. Being I had the paint and PVC tubing already the four cost me just over $4. Plus I was patting myself on the back for the epiphany I have when I saw the PVC. And they're the only ones like them.

Vader
09-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Pretty neat! That's thinking out of the box.

JT

Thanks JT!

DrewNJ
09-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Really? I didn't looked into the stock ones and didn't know that most of the 2008's were sent to dealer without them until after I started. Being I had the paint and PVC tubing already the four cost me just over $4. Plus I was patting myself on the back for the epiphany I have when I saw the PVC. And they're the only ones like them.
Major props given for the diy, no doubt! Nice work!
I also get the need sometimes to just keep busy with a good diy project...I get it.
Any concerns with moisture becoming trapped behind the cap?

Vader
09-28-2014, 12:24 PM
I also get the need sometimes to just keep busy with a good diy project...I get it.
Any concerns with moisture becoming trapped behind the cap?

Thanks..I am thinking there may be other issues as well,including the moisture. .I took an hour ride this morning to see if there were any issues. Highway and local with some twisties included. Arrived home with all four caps in place. I may have to heed your point and check for moisture every now and then.
Thanks for the comment and heads up!

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Any concerns with moisture becoming trapped behind the cap?..................Well I'm sure He'll fix it the same way BRP did .................Right Vader :thumbup:.....Mike