PDA

View Full Version : Planning for solo trip.

Scotts8826
09-27-2014, 07:59 AM
I have been reading and taking notes from people who have taken longer trips on their Spyder. I am planning a 2700 mile round trip to the Outer Banks of NC early next summer. For those people who have taken SOLO trips, did you prepare any differently than when you travel with a partner on the back or with another bike? I will have the bike serviced, list of Spyder dealers, etc. but I was wondering if there is anything I need to consider for a solo ride? I have a 2013 RTS (riding just fine, thank you, heat issues taken care of.)

sddinnh
09-27-2014, 08:03 AM
If I'm solo, I usually carry a Seal Line waterproof bag on the back seat to get some extra luggage space. I use ROK straps to hold it on and it snaps on and off pretty easy at night.

Dgjason
09-27-2014, 08:15 AM
I always carry tire patch kit and 12v air pump. Solo or not.

SPYD3R
09-27-2014, 08:21 AM
report in each day....

if you are truly 'solo', and have a wife/husband, children, friend, etc back at home, call them each evening at the end of your ride to let them know you're OK...
there is nothing worse for a loved one NOT KNOWING your status...

i usually give my wife a report on how my days ride went, and a tentative schedule of the roads i'll be riding the next day... sometimes the 'next days' roads change unexpectantly because one road looked better than the one i planned on taking...
if you have an 'iphone', make sure the GPS function in 'ON'... that way, God forbid, if something should happen, authorities will be able to find you... (i sure the NSA will always know where you are, but that's a different matter)...
ride safely, and enjoy your ride...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

jthornton
09-27-2014, 08:22 AM
I would have Rogers app on my phone and perhaps a printed list of Spyders to the Rescue (http://gnipsel.com/spyder/) in the states you are traveling through.

JT

PrairieSpyder
09-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Good advice, so far. I check with those at home in each day by phone, and have iPad/laptop for Spyderlovers access and entertainment in the evenings. (Yeah, I need a life.) Mostly, don't worry! It's not like you're leaving civilization and might get stranded in a desert or foreign country. Have fun! :ohyea:

Chupaca
09-27-2014, 08:54 AM
when traveling alone long distances I use the follow mee app and the family can track me as I travel. I would suggest the antigravity jump starter which can jump start your spyder or anyone broken down, charge phone, computer etc. Most important is being able to reach help if needed. Rogers app is a must...though a ways off have a safe trip...:thumbup:

DriftersWay
09-27-2014, 09:05 AM
when traveling alone long distances I use the follow mee app and the family can track me as I travel. I would suggest the antigravity jump starter which can jump start your spyder or anyone broken down, charge phone, computer etc. Most important is being able to reach help if needed. Rogers app is a must...though a ways off have a safe trip...:thumbup:

I like that mee app idea. can you tell me more.

Thanks,
Butch

GunDoctor
09-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Yes, would like more info on this App. Where can I find it. iTunes doesn't return "follow Mee"

rgk
09-27-2014, 10:45 AM
I have been reading and taking notes from people who have taken longer trips on their Spyder. I am planning a 2700 mile round trip to the Outer Banks of NC early next summer. For those people who have taken SOLO trips, did you prepare any differently than when you travel with a partner on the back or with another bike? I will have the bike serviced, list of Spyder dealers, etc. but I was wondering if there is anything I need to consider for a solo ride? I have a 2013 RTS (riding just fine, thank you, heat issues taken care of.)

I always ride solo and since they were available, I have carried an ACR PLB. This is a very small (pocket size) personal locater beacon that works off a satellite in case of an emergency. One can find oneself in the middle of nowhere with no assistance and this device can save your life. The battery is good for about 5 years. Like most others, I carry a tiny compressor and tire plugs and I'm considering Ride On. Each of my bikes has a first aid kit.

rdmiller
09-27-2014, 10:55 AM
I use Glympse as a tracking aide when I'm going solo. Offers lots of options.

Yazz
09-27-2014, 11:11 AM
I ride solo a lot. At gas stations, I use a debit card to pay for gas. Hubby can follow where I am through our on-line banking account. Then I text him at the end of the day.

Also have tools and assorted stuff in case something needs to be fixed.

Keep Rattigan Roger's app in my cell phone.

ARtraveler
09-27-2014, 01:16 PM
All good advice above. The good thing about where you plan to travel, you are around friendly people, and not out in the wilds of some foreign country.

Help, if needed, is only a phone call or a internet post away.

Scotts8826
09-27-2014, 01:56 PM
I'll be trying my first longer ride next weekend. About a five hour ride out to the Ozarks on Friday. Saturday we'll head to Eureka Springs, AR for a day trip and then backhome on Sunday. I'm sure this trip will give me a good idea how I hold up with my seat time.

I like the tracking device or app. I know I'll call and text the wife along the way but I know she will like to be able to find me any moment she wants.

jtoro1
09-27-2014, 02:42 PM
I Googled follow me it seems like an awesome app I will install it and it is free

WolfeeK9
09-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Carry quarts of oil and paper towels
and bag of tool right size for spyder applications.

Eagle1
09-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Hi, for your personal protection I would recommend a can of wasp and hornet spray.
Does not need a permit to carry, don't have to be accurate, will stop man or beast at 15-20 feet and nobody dies.