PDA

View Full Version : SPYDER TO THE SHOP ON MONDAY

grumpybob
09-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Just got off the phone with the dealer & I will be taking her in to get looked at on Monday. I just can't seem to keep a battery charged enough to start her up. Rode Wednesday afternoon for a while then put her away and hit the kill switch to the off position, which I thought was helping to keep the draw off the battery. Went out at 9:00 am this morning and she would not start or turn over. Checked the voltage & it was 12.52 volts. I just cannot put up with any vehicle that has this kind of a problem. We should not have to leave a charger on this machine 24 Hrs. a day to assure it will start. Just bugs the daylights out of me. I leave all my other vehicles for weeks at time without starting or charging, with no problems. 2012 RT limited new battery 2 months ago.

M109Dreamer
09-26-2014, 04:18 PM
So much for an overnight trip for you anywhere. Is there a way for you to load test the battery? Prob need an extra set of hands. To see what the voltage drop is when you hit the starter switch. Im curious because my 2 wheeler would do the same thing if it dropped below 10v when I tried to crank it. But since you have already batteries already, i would think it would be an alternator wiring issue. Possible ground issue maybe, thats not letting the bike charge back up while riding. Hope they figure it out for you.

cmungen
09-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Bad battery. Some new ones are bad.

Bob Denman
09-26-2014, 06:53 PM
:agree: The battery may have just given-up the ghost a bit early...
Can you get it load tested?

Chupaca
09-26-2014, 11:16 PM
if it is going to the dealer with any luck they will find the problem. See that they give you charging rate, may not be charging enough. Have them check the draw, if any, when parked. They should know the rest. Load testing, cable connections and checking add ons if any..good luck..!! :thumbup:

grumpybob
09-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all of your comments. I will be getting a 2014 to ride while the dealer has my 2012. They will most likely check out everything mentioned. Most of it was checked out in the middle of July '14 when the new battery was installed, although things can go wrong in a hurry. Will let you know the outcome.

Princeau99
09-27-2014, 08:33 PM
If the loner is an RT, you may not want to give it back!

grumpybob
09-27-2014, 09:04 PM
If the loner is an RT, you may not want to give it back!

Maybe it is a ploy to get me to buy a new one!! Although I do like the 2014 RT Limited.