PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT-S Rear Tire Report

ARtraveler
09-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Just turned 8,500 miles. I noticed the rear tire showing some signs of wear at around 6,000 miles. At 8,500, the tire is going bald in the middle and I surely will not run that tire past 10,000. It will be a new rear tire when I take :spyder2: in for first of the year service, when 2015 riding season begins.

I will still be about 2,000 + miles to the good on my oil change requirement--but will get it all done at the same time.

In the scheme of things, I have done better than a lot of you. Cannot get a car tire, because dealer is not friendly there. Maybe he will change his mind by spring. My normal rear tire life prior to the 2014 was 13K to 15K.

Well...th th that's all folks. :yes:

BikerDoc
09-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Just turned 8,500 miles. I noticed the rear tire showing some signs of wear at around 6,000 miles. At 8,500, the tire is going bald in the middle and I surely will not run that tire past 10,000. It will be a new rear tire when I take :spyder2: in for first of the year service, when 2015 riding season begins.

I will still be about 2,000 + miles to the good on my oil change requirement--but will get it all done at the same time.

In the scheme of things, I have done better than a lot of you. Cannot get a car tire, because dealer is not friendly there. Maybe he will change his mind by spring. My normal rear tire life prior to the 2014 was 13K to 15K.

Well...th th that's all folks. :yes:you are right that is better wear than most on 2014 RT tires. Sorry u can't get car tire. If I had not switched I would be on my third tire already

Bob Denman
09-26-2014, 09:34 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif GREAT mileage out of the new Kendas... :2thumbs:
I'm at about half your mileage (4,500 miles), and mine is definitely starting to show it's age... :shocked:

Chupaca
09-26-2014, 03:30 PM
get the raised white letters..put kenda on the car tire of your choice and have your dealer change it for you..!! :roflblack::roflblack:

ARtraveler
09-26-2014, 09:45 PM
get the raised white letters..put kenda on the car tire of your choice and have your dealer change it for you..!! :roflblack::roflblack:

Great idea. It might work. :yes:

RUOUTHERE
09-30-2014, 06:16 AM
Hi all, I haven't been on the board for a while so this is probably old news but.....my rear tire on my '14 RTL is shot at 7400 miles while running 28psi. Called my local dealer, he tells me BRP has switched part numbers on the OEM tire going back to the previous tire on the older RTs. Going in this evening for a new/old tire, hoping we get a few more miles outa this one or not.

That said, on my Gold Wing I'm running Bridgestones, a nice soft rubber compound that gives us plenty of traction in any weather and a nice stuck tire when leaned all the way over in the twisties. We get approx. 8 to 10K per set running at the prescribed psi. I've run over 150K miles on two different GL1800 Gold Wings and never got better than 10K outa a set of Stones and I'm ok with that. It's a trade-off good traction in most all conditions versus a hard rubber compound with questionable traction.

Kevin

Bob Denman
09-30-2014, 07:45 AM
D,
Can you pop us a picture of that tire's condition?
Thanks! :D

Princeau99
09-30-2014, 01:45 PM
That said, on my Gold Wing I'm running Bridgestones, a nice soft rubber compound that gives us plenty of traction in any weather and a nice stuck tire when leaned all the way over in the twisties. We get approx. 8 to 10K per set running at the prescribed psi. I've run over 150K miles on two different GL1800 Gold Wings and never got better than 10K outa a set of Stones and I'm ok with that. It's a trade-off good traction in most all conditions versus a hard rubber compound with questionable traction.

Kevin

That is about the same I used to get o my 97 Valkyrie, on one long trip to Sturgis Had the rear tire replaced at 6K. long freeway miles wore a flat spot in the middle.

PW2013STL
10-03-2014, 05:33 AM
Hi all, I haven't been on the board for a while so this is probably old news but.....my rear tire on my '14 RTL is shot at 7400 miles while running 28psi. Called my local dealer, he tells me BRP has switched part numbers on the OEM tire going back to the previous tire on the older RTs. Going in this evening for a new/old tire, hoping we get a few more miles outa this one or not.

Kevin

I agree,

I would never run a car tire on any two wheel motorcycle. They are shaped differently and are not designed to be ridden on the side (edge) as you need to when leaned over.

That being said the Spyder rides like a car as it doesn't lean. One of the first things both my wife and I noticed after putting on the car tire on the rear is how much better the Spyder handles. We no longer get the skip out in fast curves. It was like the stock tire would reach it's limit and then slide a little and then stick. It was making my wife ill to the point that she told me that if I did not slow down :barf:I would feel this down my back.