PDA

View Full Version : Suede seat

dguisinger
09-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Am I the only one who worries the premium F3-S Suede seat won't hold up to the elements? I leave my RSS outside in the rain all the time

Bob Denman
09-25-2014, 11:22 AM
It's going to take time; to find out if your fears are valid... :shocked:

PrairieSpyder
09-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Since I'm not buying again for a few years, I'll get the "wait and see" about how things hold up and the product line evolves. I'm liking the F3 more and more, though.

den1953
09-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Suede leather that is. If it's real I'd be worried about it getting wet.

dguisinger
09-25-2014, 11:44 AM
The bucket seats in my car are leather in the middle and suede on the edges... and the suede has turned black over the years from the coloring from my jacket and jeans wearing off.... I hope its not the real thing....

BikerDoc
09-25-2014, 11:46 AM
We have been barraged with an incredible amount of data albeit incomplete on the new product line. A look after the first 1000 miles will be necessary to answer a lot of the questions

Bob Denman
09-25-2014, 12:06 PM
:agree: It's going to take time; to sort things out... :D

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-25-2014, 12:14 PM
I think there are water proofing treatment that you can put on it

sduskin
09-25-2014, 01:07 PM
I think there are water proofing treatment that you can put on it

Check if there is an Indian Motorcycle Dealer near you. They use suede and leather seats on their 2014+ lines of bikes. You can ask them how they hold up.

den1953
09-25-2014, 01:08 PM
I just remember that episode when Jerry gets this ridiculously expensive suede jacket then later ends up ruining it in the rain. Kind of backs up my not wanting a real suede seat on a motorcycle.

Motorcycledave
09-25-2014, 01:21 PM
Hi Dave here,
I have made more seats than I could ever count over the past years since 1967 and I can
tell you that if it is truly real suede it will not look good after it gets rained on. Have you ever
had suede shows or a suede coat and had it in the rain ?
If you want that look and want it to look great no matter how wet it has gotten go check my website
and look at the ultra swede I use I have it on my own seat the one with the Spiders on it, I can do it for you
Ride Safe
Dave

Am I the only one who worries the premium F3-S Suede seat won't hold up to the elements? I leave my RSS outside in the rain all the time

ARtraveler
09-25-2014, 01:31 PM
As a former leather merchant for 30 years...

Suede is leather that the top finish has been sanded off of. It is great for its smoothness and velvety feel.

For a seat, when it rains, it mats down the fibers and makes the finish hard. A good suede brush is required to bring it back to life.

Direct exposure to the sun will fade the original appearance.

There are no waterproof chemicals that I am aware of that protect and preserve a suede finish. They tend to have the same effect as getting it water spotted or rained on.

If they are using "real" leather on the F3 seats, then I could foresee a potential problem. If they are using "artificial" or "leather like" materials, then it could be a whole different story.

I have one nice suede/fringed jacket and am very careful where and when I wear it. I would not opt for a motorcycle seat with that set up.

Like Doc said though, we will have to wait to hear from the actual beta testers to see how this all plays out.