PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Zumo 450 GPS hardwiring.. what's the easiest way?

Greg H.
10-10-2008, 09:28 AM
My Zumo 450 is here. And, I would like advice from the experts out there on the best/easiest way to hardwire it.

TIA!! :thumbup:

zzneonzz
10-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Easiest way is to let someone else do it :D

Greg H.
10-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Easiest way is to let someone else do it :D

Clown! :joke:

(I should have known! :yikes:)

sleepman
10-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I just wired my 550 directly to the battery.

daddydarko
10-10-2008, 10:29 AM
I piggybacked off the headlights. Works great.

sabunim5
10-10-2008, 11:59 AM
If that is not going to be your only electrical accessory you might want to add a power bus.

Spanky
10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
The accessory outlet is zip tied to your top, left A-arm. You can tap into it there but will need to remove the panels.

This is fused at 2 amps and switched with the key. It has a slight delay when the Spyder is turned off, 15 seconds I think.

:spyder:

bone crusher
10-10-2008, 08:22 PM
I had my zumo 550 hardwired...I highly recommend you buy a Garmin lock to protect the mount from being tampered with...apparently, they have some value...it's about 20.00 and can be found on many online sites...

I had the dealership hardwire the Zumo...works like a charm and I don't need to waste the 12v on this...

I also got a scala rider 2 so that I could hear the zumo, listen to music, and if necessary, take a call...

Greg H.
10-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyone! I started putting the Zumo mounting bracket together tonight. And, I am looking at either mounting it on the right or left side of the bars, trying to determine which might be easiest. It doesn't appear the way the clutch lever bolts are, that mounting there is good option.

If I release the right side throttle connection, will the assembly just slide off allowing that black sleeve to exit to allow easy mounting of the u bolt there? It looks like it's possible. But, I am unsure if the cabling will allow everything to just slide away.

On the left side of the bars, the u bolt looks like it might fit between the the clutch fluid reservoir. but it's tight. And, if this were to work, I would need to move the clutch lever out more to make more width.

Also; as the battery connection goes, did you use a special connector? Or; just connect the red wire to +, and ground the black wire on a piece of metal?

Thanks!

bjt
10-11-2008, 08:03 AM
This post (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4944&highlight=zumo+mount) shows how I originally mounted my Zumo. Its a left hand clutch bracket mount using the standard Zumo hardware but I had to modify the RAM piece by grinding / filing. To mount it on the right side, its easiest just to cut that plastic sleeve off with a utility knife or an exacto knife. Its easy to cut.

If you are powering the Zumo off the battery, it would be easiest to just have both connections come off the battery instead of looking for a good frame ground. I would use two crimp on connectors (http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html?lang=en-us&target=d44.html&gclid=CMKX_Z-dn5YCFQOaFQodLzd_7Q). Either the ring terminal or the spade terminal style. One that fits under the positive battery terminal bolt and another that fits either under the negative terminal bolt or fits under some other screw that provides a good ground.

sleepman
10-11-2008, 08:41 AM
If I release the right side throttle connection, will the assembly just slide off allowing that black sleeve to exit to allow easy mounting of the u bolt there? It looks like it's possible. But, I am unsure if the cabling will allow everything to just slide away.

Thanks!

If you want to slide the right slide throttle off just turn the wheels fully to the left and you'll have enough cabling to pull it off so you can slide the ring off. I bought the RAM mount that goes on the clutch reservoir and really like they way it positions the Zumo.

Greg H.
10-11-2008, 08:46 AM
This post (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4944&highlight=zumo+mount) shows how I originally mounted my Zumo. Its a left hand clutch bracket mount using the standard Zumo hardware but I had to modify the RAM piece by grinding / filing. To mount it on the right side, its easiest just to cut that plastic sleeve off with a utility knife or an exacto knife. Its easy to cut.

If you are powering the Zumo off the battery, it would be easiest to just have both connections come off the battery instead of looking for a good frame ground. I would use two crimp on connectors (http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html?lang=en-us&target=d44.html&gclid=CMKX_Z-dn5YCFQOaFQodLzd_7Q). Either the ring terminal or the spade terminal style. One that fits under the positive battery terminal bolt and another that fits either under the negative terminal bolt or fits under some other screw that provides a good ground.

Good post! Thanks! Do you like the Zumo on the right side better? It certainly looks to be easier to install there. :) But, I was just thinking; using your left hand while riding to change the display, the left side might be easier.

From what many have said, I think wiring directly off the battery might be the best overall option.

zzneonzz
10-11-2008, 08:49 AM
The battery is under the seat but to see it you have to remove the left panel that is under the seat. I took all the panels off a couple weeks ago to see were everything was :-)

Greg H.
10-11-2008, 08:57 AM
The battery is under the seat but to see it you have to remove the left panel that is under the seat. I took all the panels off a couple weeks ago to see were everything was :-)

Ahhhhhhhhh! Good! I was about to go get the manual. Thanks Tim!! :thumbup:

bjt
10-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Do you like the Zumo on the right side better? It certainly looks to be easier to install there. :) But, I was just thinking; using your left hand while riding to change the display, the left side might be easier.

I preferred the left side mount for using the GPS but when I got the J&M CB communicator, that also mounted to the left side on the clutch bracket. I knew the GPS would easily mount to the right side so I swapped it over to the right and put the J&M on the left. It is still plenty usable on the right. Once I got over the novelty of the GPS (trying to watch it and playing with the buttons and screens a lot) I find I'm not messing with it too much while riding.

Greg H.
10-13-2008, 09:39 AM
I preferred the left side mount for using the GPS but when I got the J&M CB communicator, that also mounted to the left side on the clutch bracket. I knew the GPS would easily mount to the right side so I swapped it over to the right and put the J&M on the left. It is still plenty usable on the right. Once I got over the novelty of the GPS (trying to watch it and playing with the buttons and screens a lot) I find I'm not messing with it too much while riding.

I've decided, after much deliberation :), that I am mounting the Zumo on the right side. I began cutting on that black sleeve with an x-acto knife yesterday morning. But, I think, I will go ahead and loosen the right grip to slide it off some to allow the sleeve to slide some. I don't want to cut too deep, and scratch the bars.