PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Riding Gear

YIRYDE
09-23-2014, 09:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whsw5-V1gss&feature=youtu.be

Virtual Catalog
http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/brp-can-am-spyder-pac-north-america-us-en/2015-catalog/2014091601/#0

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 07:51 AM
:shocked: THIS disappoints me...

"Function over form", gets it done out on the road... :thumbup:
This crap looks like the :cus:, that the poseurs will want to wear; to just look the part...

HedonismBot
09-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Ouch! I'd hate to see what you say about people who buy Apple products--the very definition of form over function :D

It's interesting that you consider people who buy this gear "posers" when people in the 2-wheel world bemoan Spyder riders as posers. It's good to see that there is judgment and a hierarchy even in a splinter minority group such as ourselves.

PrairieSpyder
09-24-2014, 09:13 AM

This crap looks like the :cus:, that the poseurs will want to wear; to just look the part...

So what if you ride and want to look like it?

sddinnh
09-24-2014, 09:20 AM

I don't know Bob, it doesn't look a whole lot different from what I wear except mine doesn't have the Canam logo plastered all over it and that stuff is probably not as good a quality as mine.

These days I'm wearing Diamond Gusset Kevlar lined jeans, good boots, good quality goatskin leather mc jacket, helmet, and deerskin gloves.

Probably the only difference is that with the Spyder, I now wear mainly a Bell Pit Boss 1/2 helmet instead of the Shuberth full face I used to wear, but other than that, it's mainly the same stuff I've always worn when on two wheels.

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 09:24 AM
I am absolutely the antithesis of high fashion, and being fashionable...;)
And I don't use Apple products; other than my IPod... :thumbup:
If I want a jacket to have a "weather-beaten" look to it; I'll take it out into the weather, and beat it up over a couple of years...
Leather jackets are made from thick cuts of hide, that are doubled, where it might matter the most. those light and supple jackets, looked as if they were ready for a trendy night on the Town; not a day on the road...

It looked as if they could have come right out of any Harley Davidson Dealership; minus the HD logos!

PrairieSpyder
09-24-2014, 09:30 AM
If I want a jacket to have a "weather-beaten" look to it; I'll take it out into the weather, and beat it up over a couple of years...
Leather jackets are made from thick cuts of hide, that are doubled, where it might matter the most. those light and supple jackets, looked as if they were ready for a trendy night on the Town; not a day on the road...

It looked as if they could have come right out of any Harley Davidson Dealership; minus the HD logos!

Nothing wrong with a short-cut to the look of weather-beaten gear, but I see your point about the protection of the leather. It should be more substantial.

I also don't want to look like an imitation HD rider, either.

sduskin
09-24-2014, 09:57 AM
When I ride 2 wheel its full protective gear. chaps, leather coat, boots, gloves, etc. as a new rider (3/2014) I am neither confident nor stupid enough to ride without it. When I am on the highway and see folks in t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, etc. doing highway speeds... the first thought in my mind is "donor-cycle".

Having said that, when I ride my RT-S, its helmet, gloves, and boots. Add a jacket if its raining or cool. The Spyder is that much safer to ride in my mind.

-Steve.

ThreeWheels
09-24-2014, 10:10 AM

I just hope BRP doesn't wind up emphasizing fashion more than they do hardware.
I have to admit though, it does seem that, with the F3, they are emphasizing the mystique of riding, rather than emphasizing riding.
Still, if it brings more people to the marque, that's good for everyone.

spyderrock
09-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Personally I love the new comfort line of clothing they came out with. I own two spyders and soon to be 3(F3). I have the riding gear for cold days here in western Canada but I also have the denim jacket they make. I am all over this new line as it is great to pack in the trailer on long trips and have some thing for comfy to ride around town. Im sure they is going to be way more options for those of you stuck in the past(no style), but for us younger guys and gals it's about time we get some great looking street wear.

sddinnh
09-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Nothing wrong with a short-cut to the look of weather-beaten gear, but I see your point about the protection of the leather. It should be more substantial.

I also don't want to look like an imitation HD rider, either.

That's so subjective (what you look like riding the bike). I wear leather because I think it protects better than "nylon", but there's only so many different styles and colors you can get quality leather jackets in. I used to do leather pants also, but my waistline keeps changing and that gets too expensive to keep changing them out :yikes:

KX5062
09-24-2014, 10:38 AM
http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/brp-can-am-spyder-pac-north-america-us-en/2015-catalog/2014091601/#0

Here's the 2015 catalog in a pdf.

The new gear line is called, "Urban Authentic". :shocked:

Well, it's crystal clear who and what their target market is, and it is not me. :banghead:

PrairieSpyder
09-24-2014, 10:58 AM
That's so subjective (what you look like riding the bike).

:agree: totally!

iSpyder123
09-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Just my opinion and observation:

Now that the F3 has been fully revealed we can pretty much tell who the target market is.
"The younger rider from the cruiser scene"
It seems that the somewhat negative comments (disikes) coming from the current Spyder crowd is proving this and kind of what they want to hear.
On a marketing standpoint that's pretty much how you branch out. They are reaching past the current Spyder owners demographics and into new territory, new riders, younger riders. I'm sure an unscientific poll was gathered through previous Spyder purchases and an age group was lacking.

This Sport Cruiser segment is what BRP needed to put in it's portfolio of Spyder offerings. IMO, Something for everyone that is covered in all riding styles.
I feel what they really need to do now is to reach out to the community and become even more involved in a more social way and start polling the Spyder community. Sort of like "We Asked..You answered and we are excited to bring out the new and improved......"

KX5062
09-24-2014, 11:27 AM
All true, but for me and in my opinion BRP was producing some really nice touring gear and was heading (gear wise) in the direction of being a good source of gear for a variety of uses and conditions. Their "Urban Authentic" seems to narrow that focus and shuts off a whole segment of the market that is the most rapidly growing in the motorcycling community, that being adventure touring. Now granted the Spyder is not an adventure tourer in the classic sense of the term, but their gear had a lot of crossover potential. That is no longer so. :(

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 11:28 AM
:agree: :gaah:

BikerDoc
09-24-2014, 11:32 AM
I just hope BRP doesn't wind up emphasizing fashion more than they do hardware.
I have to admit though, it does seem that, with the F3, they are emphasizing the mystique of riding, rather than emphasizing riding.
Still, if it brings more people to the marque, that's good for everyone. Harley has been successfully selling perception rather than reality for many years.. Maybe BRP wants some of that bandwagon

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 12:10 PM
I'd rather that they just sell "Reality"... :D

BikerDoc
09-24-2014, 12:23 PM
You have to have a mustache and short rough looking beard to fully appreciate this stuff

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 12:27 PM
:D Got the mustache! 95782
It's there to filter out gnats; at highway speeds!

OJ UK
09-24-2014, 12:53 PM
:D Got the mustache! 95782
It's there to filter out gnats; at highway speeds!

Nice pic, Bob....you're wearing very well for your age!! :joke:

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks! I turn 187; next week... :shocked:

FRKSHO
09-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Can Am is taking a lesson from Harley Davidson ! Thumbs up for the new riding gear !!:dg1:

robmorg
09-24-2014, 01:16 PM
I'd rather that they just sell "Reality"... :DHeavy padded leather and armored gear is NOT "reality" for a Spyder, in most folks opinion, Bob. http://www.robmorgan.net/img-sm/Spyder%20emoticon.gif

....and that's all I'm gonna say about that. http://www.robmorgan.net/img-sm/free-scared-smileys-366.gif

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 01:25 PM
If "Hide meets Asphalt", then you can talk about reality... :shocked:

sddinnh
09-24-2014, 01:33 PM
If "Hide meets Asphalt", then you can talk about reality... :shocked:

Been there - done that - got the scars to prove it - Put a Wing down at 50 mph. It was a real interesting few seconds there :yikes: but the gear took more of a beating than I did :thumbup: Did not burn thru any of it so all's good. Cut over my nose where the helmet pushed my glasses down and broke 3 ribs.

robmorg
09-24-2014, 01:39 PM
You have to have a mustache and short rough looking beard to fully appreciate this stuff...and you gotta be skinny. :sour:

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 01:43 PM
:opps: My missus is FAR too good of a cook; for me to ever be skinny! ;)
I'm going for "Jolly"... :roflblack:

spydaman60
09-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Can Am is taking a lesson from Harley Davidson ! Thumbs up for the new riding gear !!:dg1:i knew you'd chime in here. carol likes it too!!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:so much for just the younger crowd. we really :cus:'ed that up at 62!!

robmorg
09-24-2014, 02:24 PM
If "Hide meets Asphalt", then you can talk about reality... :shocked:Well, the reality of the concept of reality is, that when you really think about it, "reality" is really quite subjective. :sour:

robmorg
09-24-2014, 02:31 PM
carol likes it too!!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:so much for just the younger crowd. we really :cus:'ed that up at 62!! I was thinking the very same thing when I read that original post. :D I just hope we can feel the same when we are 82. ;)

Bazeel
09-24-2014, 02:38 PM
I get what they are going for, and they pulled it off pretty well...though I don't really appreciate it, myself. I really prefer more real leather, padding, and slide safety over lightweight windbreakers and town-coats.

I will admit- I'm a bit biased about gear, since I -only- ride, and never drive. I'll cast the odds toward my favor, if I can.

ARtraveler
09-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Nice looking riding gear. They are not chasing after the more mature market for sure. If I were to buy this, would it turn me into an irresistible hunk? :roflblack::roflblack:

Have not had a peruse at the catalog yet, but if they are going to be priced like the current stuff, a big "not interested" from me for sure. $400 pants and $750 jackets from the previous year told me no and heck no. I do own an original Can-Am leather jacket and a Can-Am textile jacket which I paid top dollar for back in 2008. Have not updated with the house brand since then.

Lots of riding gear here, I have two 6 ft long racks full of jackets, and riding pants--some leather and some textile. I like nice looking gear that fits me (not an easy thing), and prefer to try it on before I buy it. Here, the dealer does not stock any of the house brand stuff, so can't even look at it up close.

I will stay out of the poser stuff. Anyone that knows me, knows that I ride. Sunshine, rain, cold weather etc. The only thing that stops me is ice and snow. I don't think that I have to drive brand (x) to be a biker, nor do I have to wear stuff (y) either.

I am ATGATT, but not brand loyal. There is a lot of aftermarket stuff out there that is more than sufficient.

ChasCS
09-24-2014, 03:53 PM
This sort of fashion, is really not my cup of tea, for the most part. I do like the fingerless gloves and a few other items.
I have always liked the looks and functionality of their higher end helmets, that come at the price of higher cost too. But you often get what you pay for. The BPR Bluetooth headsets look promising as well, while using them. EVEN THOUGH I mostly ride alone. ;-) in quiet.

I'm sure much of this new Can Am attire will be very fashionable in Quebec.
Not so sure about the rest of Canada? We'll see.

Chas

robmorg
09-24-2014, 04:17 PM
The BPR Bluetooth headsets look promising as well, while using them. EVEN THOUGH I mostly ride alone. ;-) in quiet.
ChasFWIW, all of the BRP Bluetooth stuff is made by Sena. You can find it for a heck of a lot less money on the web or at Motorcycle Dave's (http://www.motorcycledave.com/), who is a forum sponsor.

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Well, the reality of the concept of reality is, that when you really think about it, "reality" is really quite subjective. :sour:
:shocked::hun:
I'm aware of the concept; "Perception is reality", but I reject that one...
Reality is a universal truth; one's perceptions of it, may be colored by preconceived notions and personal prejudices...
But still: Truth, is truth. :thumbup:

Whoa... :shocked: my head hurts! :shocked:

gparr
09-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Hmm...I need to see more stuff designed for the older...uh hem...more rotund folk!!!

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Do you mean us ole, "PHATT-BASTIDS"? :D

FRKSHO
09-24-2014, 05:10 PM

REALLY ???

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 05:18 PM
;) Yup...
The gear looks more like "Saturday Night on the Town; Under the Lights", than it looks like something designed for long-term comfort on the road.
I'll admit; it's more than likely just my own personal prejudices against "fashion"... :opps:

I'm about "function"! :thumbup:

(T... Good to see you in here! :D)

gparr
09-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Do you mean us ole, "PHATT-BASTIDS"? :D

Well...Bob...it is unfortunately what it is!!!;)

I have teetered for 26 years of marriage between 200-210. I hit 50 two years ago and was diagnosed with sleep apnea...everyone said get that under control and the weight will fall off...OK 1.5 years of CPAP and I am at 240!!! It's killing me!!!

Unfortunately my wife is still at 5'2" and only 120 lbs. Boy...am I glad she still loves me!!!

FRKSHO
09-24-2014, 05:22 PM
REALLY ???

GUESS I'M A POSER !!!! JUST SAYIN' !!!!!

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Nahhh... You RIDE!! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 05:32 PM
I have teetered for 26 years of marriage between 200-210. I hit 50 two years ago and was diagnosed with sleep apnea...everyone said get that under control and the weight will fall off...OK 1.5 years of CPAP and I am at 240!!! It's killing me!!!

Unfortunately my wife is still at 5'2" and only 120 lbs. Boy...am I glad she still loves me!!!

I just figure that I'm "undertall"; not "overweight"... :D
No excuses: I just flat-out like to eat! :thumbup:
But I have found that maturity, has brought a change in my eating preferences... :shocked:
I find that I actually enjoy a good salad now; as a snack.... NOT as a meal! :yikes:

PrairieSpyder
09-24-2014, 05:43 PM
. . .
Reality is a universal truth; . . . .

Reality - it's for people who can't do drugs! :doorag:

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 05:53 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/352v.gif Far out; Man! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_12_1.gif

robmorg
09-24-2014, 06:07 PM
:shocked::hun:
Reality is a universal truth; one's perceptions of it, may be colored by preconceived notions and personal prejudices...
But still: Truth, is truth. :thumbup:

Not to get too heavy on ya, but most psychiatrists, many philosophers, and probably even many quantum physicists may all disagree with you. Read this opinion (http://nietzschescave.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/the-perception-of-reality-objective-or-subjective/), and your head will hurt more. http://www.robmorgan.net/img-sm/oboy.gif

...or if you want a practical example that truth is not universally consistent, you have only to look at the degree to which truth varies among our political leaders. They all (well, probably most of them) think they know what is true in their hearts. (Not being critical of politicians - it's not a bad thing that they have varying ideas about what the truth is.) Or better yet, if you want an example closer to home, ask yourself... "Is your reality always exactly the same as that of the Missus?" Think about it. http://www.robmorgan.net/img-sm/free-confused-smileys-718.gif

Reality really is subjective.

ChasCS
09-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Before making an educated assumption. ;-)

Who knows? If the gloves fit, I may commit!! Hahaha

Chas

Bob Denman
09-25-2014, 06:51 AM
A subjective perception of a truth; does not change the truth... :D
Example: If you have three Blind men lead up to an elephant, and then told to describe it...
The one that touches the trunk, might describe it as a snakelike creature...
The one touching the body; It's like a mountain
And the third touching the ear; it's like a bird, with huge wings.
Their subjective perceptions of the animal varied greatly; but the elephant didn't change... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_32_2.gif

I need more coffee, if this is going to continue. :coffee:

PrairieSpyder
09-25-2014, 07:33 AM
A subjective perception of a truth; does not change the truth... :D
Example: If you have three Blind men lead up to an elephant, and then told to describe it...
The one that touches the trunk, might describe it as a snakelike creature...
The one touching the body; It's like a mountain
And the third touching the ear; it's like a bird, with huge wings.
Their subjective perceptions of the animal varied greatly; but the elephant didn't change... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_32_2.gif

I need more coffee, if this is going to continue. :coffee:

:agree: & I also need more coffee! :coffee:

Bob Denman
09-25-2014, 07:38 AM
I fired up two pots; one for each of us! :D http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_4_102.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_4_103.gif

jcthorne
09-25-2014, 07:45 AM
I fired up two pots; one for each of us! :D http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_4_102.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_4_103.gif

You still make coffee in a pot? :coffee: :barf::rolleyes:

Bob Denman
09-25-2014, 07:49 AM
We've got one of those single-cup things :shocked:... 12 cups at a time is just about right... :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::c offee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee: :2thumbs:

Dgjason
09-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Come on Bob, you're just jealous you don't look like one of those models. ;)

YIRYDE
09-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Can we please stick to the topic of this thread.

Thanks,

Bob Denman
09-25-2014, 09:01 AM
:gaah: Here we go! ANOTHER person, who wants to stick to the script... :D
Oh :opps:... that's right!
I don't care for the new fashion statement; that BRP is trying to make with this line of clothing.

Pirate looks at --
09-25-2014, 09:07 AM
.......now if Can-Am can get some one under 50 to ryde their Spyders, I think this stuff will sell. I am with you Bob, even though we won't fall over like a two wheeler we can still get hit by some idiot and ATGATT makes me feel better. With the gear I have I don't even get hot on hot days. I am guessing that the people that wear this new stuff will be the type that ride down to the local hangout to be seen, then drive right back home. Remember I am pretty sure the filming was done in Los Angeles.......to quote Jim Morrison the people in this shoot are "Just Another Lost Angel" ....:clap:

Pirate looks at --
09-25-2014, 09:14 AM
GUESS I'M A POSER !!!! JUST SAYIN' !!!!!
True!:yes:

robmorg
09-25-2014, 09:18 AM
I need more coffee, if this is going to continue. :coffee: When you get a few minutes, grab a cup, and read the article in my link above. You may enjoy it. :read:

robmorg
09-25-2014, 09:42 AM

Thanks, Not sure, but I don't think there's much more to say about this topic than what's already been said. :rolleyes:. It was interesting to see the new gear though. Glad you posted it. :thumbup:

Dgjason
09-25-2014, 02:19 PM

Thanks,

Yeah, this is some earth shattering stuff...sorry :shocked:

jcthorne
09-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Is there a link somewhere to see the new gear other than a youtube clip that I cannot see from inside a corporate network.....

YIRYDE
09-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Is there a link somewhere to see the new gear other than a youtube clip that I cannot see from inside a corporate network.....

Here is a link to the Virtual Catalog

Bob Denman
09-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Come on Bob, you're just jealous you don't look like one of those models. ;)
:opps: I've got to admit; you're absolutely right! :2thumbs: