PDA

View Full Version : Orange Screen of Death - Twice in 3 Weeks

dndfindley
09-23-2014, 12:10 AM
About a week ago the wife and were out riding, about 100 miles from home. We were on a long straight section of road and I was fiddling with the cruise control. Suddenly I got the orange screen of death and it was telling me everything was broken meaning it was throwing up the engine pic along with a couple of others plus it was saying 'check DPS.' On top of that the red lights on the speedo were on. It did not put me in limp mode. I found a gas station/store and parked it - let it sit for about 5 minutes and then restarted. The screen had cleared. It allowed us to continue home with no problems. I took it to the dealer a couple of days later and they stated it would show no codes and they could find nothing wrong. It has been okay since but I have only ridden it locally with one ride of about 100 miles round trip (did the Dragon). I also am worried about long trips now since about 3 weeks ago it DID put me in limp mode while I was in another state. Shut it down and a few minutes later restarted it and continued on with no problems. Dealer said it needed a computer update. They said they did it and everything was okay. Well...it was until last week. At least no limp mode, but what about next time? I'm thinking about a Yamaha FJR 1300.
http://www.canamspyderforums.com/forums/images/spyder/misc/progress.gif

dndfindley
09-23-2014, 12:11 AM
About a week ago the wife and were out riding, about 100 miles from home. We were on a long straight section of road and I was fiddling with the cruise control. Suddenly I got the orange screen of death and it was telling me everything was broken meaning it was throwing up the engine pic along with a couple of others plus it was saying 'check DPS.' On top of that the red lights on the speedo were on. It did not put me in limp mode. I found a gas station/store and parked it - let it sit for about 5 minutes and then restarted. The screen had cleared. It allowed us to continue home with no problems. I took it to the dealer a couple of days later and they stated it would show no codes and they could find nothing wrong. It has been okay since but I have only ridden it locally with one ride of about 100 miles round trip (did the Dragon). I also am worried about long trips now since about 3 weeks ago it DID put me in limp mode while I was in another state. Shut it down and a few minutes later restarted it and continued on with no problems. Dealer said it needed a computer update. They said they did it and everything was okay. Well...it was until last week. At least no limp mode, but what about next time? I'm thinking about a Yamaha FJR 1300.

Forgot to state what Spyder - it's a 2012 RT.

Chupaca
09-23-2014, 01:49 AM
I mean thinking about an FJR 1300 (not a yamaha fan) when you could think about a 1330 ACE...:roflblack: am sorry your dealer has not found whats causing your problem. You may need fresh eyes on this. Glitches happen and clear with a reset (key walk) but not repeatedly....

Highwayman2013
09-23-2014, 04:24 AM
This could be as simple as a weak battery or a loose wire. Your dealer needs to spend some time troubleshooting this.

Bob Denman
09-23-2014, 07:24 AM
:agree: The DPS is the single-largest draw on the electrical system.
When the battery starts to show it's age; this is probably the first system that would notice it.
It's kind of like (If you have an SE-Tranny) checking the oil, when your shifting start to act-up a bit. :shocked:

bruiser
09-23-2014, 09:05 AM
It's possible that no codes were stored. Did you try to check for codes when it happened? This happened on my wife's 2010 RTS a few times and nothing showed up. Then last week POW. Check engine, all the lights, cleared twice. Then throttle body failure. Now she's driving a 2014 RTS.

spyder3
09-23-2014, 09:21 AM
It's possible that no codes were stored. Did you try to check for codes when it happened? This happened on my wife's 2010 RTS a few times and nothing showed up. Then last week POW. Check engine, all the lights, cleared twice. Then throttle body failure. Now she's driving a 2014 RTS.

wow, nice for baby bruiser..new 2014:thumbup:

dndfindley
09-24-2014, 07:49 AM
I mean thinking about an FJR 1300 (not a yamaha fan) when you could think about a 1330 ACE...:roflblack: am sorry your dealer has not found whats causing your problem. You may need fresh eyes on this. Glitches happen and clear with a reset (key walk) but not repeatedly....

I have owned 2 Yamaha's and they are not only a good riding machine but for the most part are trouble free. Never had a bit of trouble with mine. Got the Spyder because the wife said that is all she would ride 2 up and I wanted her to go with me on rides. I may be able to talk her into going 2 up on the FJR. The FJR is one of the best sport touring motorcycles in the world. Comparing it and the Spyder is apples and oranges...but you know that.

dndfindley
09-24-2014, 07:54 AM
:agree: The DPS is the single-largest draw on the electrical system.
When the battery starts to show it's age; this is probably the first system that would notice it.
It's kind of like (If you have an SE-Tranny) checking the oil, when your shifting start to act-up a bit. :shocked:

I check the oil frequently and sometimes have to add a bit but that is all - a bit. As to the battery - you may have something there. I have had the machine about 15 months and have about 12000 miles on it, but I ride it often. It never sits more than a few days, even in the colder months. It always starts right up. Replacing the battery on a 2012 is a big deal that I would leave to the dealer and that would cost more than a few bucks.

Bob Denman
09-24-2014, 07:57 AM
It's worth a check...
Good Luck! :thumbup:

spyderyderjim
09-24-2014, 09:23 AM

!. Push all your relays & fuses in to make sure they are seated tight; (I had a problem with my 2014 RT of vibrated loose fuses).
2. You may have a loose connection on battery negative ground wire, or even on the positive wire.
(a battery should not cause orange screen while riding because the magneto is charging system), unless loose connection.
You can buy a portable voltmeter gage that plugs into cig socket in trunk to check battery voltage, from a RV store or Camping World.
(I would probably put a new battery in if voltage is below 12 volts before starting, because of RT over 2 years).
When running engine at about 4,000 rpm, voltage should be 14 volts.
I agree: The Yamaha FJR 1300 is one of the best sport touring motorcycles in the world.
I had 28,000 miles on mine!!!! If FJR reverse trike is ever built, I would have one in a minute.
2012 RT's are very reliable, probably something simple.
(my 2014 RT-S SE6 is an awesome torque/hp in line triple 1330 cc motor)!!
Let us know if you find loose relays or anything to correct problem.
Enjoy the Dragon again.
Jim