PDA

View Full Version : discounts to forum members?

OwnerOfHarriet
09-21-2014, 09:35 AM
do the sponsors on here give discounts to the forum members? Currently I am interested in Spyder Pops and Custom Dynamics

Copperman
09-21-2014, 10:17 AM
do the sponsors on here give discounts to the forum members? Currently I am interested in Spyder Pops and Custom Dynamics

I have found that the major dealership sponsors (Bert's Megamall & Honda East) that I have ordered from give a pretty good discount. You have to tell their internet sales department you're a Spyderlover to get the discount. Sometimes, depending on what you're buying ($$$), if you ask, they'll give you a little more.

I have also found that the aftermarket sponsors (of the ones I've used) rarely, if ever, give any discount. Some at Christmas time (can I say that), may offer something. A percentage off or reduced shipping costs, something. It's hit or miss, but mostly miss.

When you're at a Spyder event, very few of the vendors there give a discount. Although, Ultimate Seats has a nice offer when they're at an event.

I wish the vendors would throw us a bone at these events. Just something to say thanks. Many of us travel a lot of miles to attend and we are a captive audience. And, we like to spend our money on our Spyders. If there were discounts to be had at the events, maybe even more people would attend and spend even more money. And that means more money for the vendors!

Just my two cents.

Oldmanzues
09-21-2014, 10:28 AM
A thought on getting things installed at Rally's. You save shiping costs and a lot the things I bought, install free or very low cost. You save a bundle or at least I have. One even said, We will put in on, you go try it and if you do not like it, we will remove it. .... I kept it
Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
09-21-2014, 11:12 AM
:shocked: Does...
"All of my FREE advice comes with a double your money back guaranty", count" :D

scooterexpress
09-22-2014, 07:49 AM
as a sponsor here i have offered many times but no one really wants to take advantage when you do offer free shipping % off price items,even at spyderfest i've offered and again not really any takers.so when spyderfest comes around we have to try and get you to come spend your money with us i tried to give a tv away this year and last but never got the customers needed. so i guess when you see a pop up from us sponsors look to see what it is you might miss out on a deal.

MidTNDawg
09-22-2014, 10:59 AM
allow me to comment. As a vendor (The Sign Man III) at M/C rallies for about 20 years, I found it difficult to effectively provide a discount. You see my customers were those who attended the rallies. What I did was to provide my lowest possible prices at all times. What I did do was to make local clubs a special price, but that was only available through mail order. To ask the vendor for discounts is to threaten their very viability as a vendor. That is my history, but not necessarily all vendors. Yes, they want our business, but remember it is a business and without acceptable profit there is no business.

ARtraveler
09-22-2014, 03:17 PM
I try to patronize SL sponsors where possible. I did get in on a couple good deals with Seal Floorboards, but have paid the asking price on most everything else.

Am guessing that most price their products with a fair market price which allows for enough profit to stay in business. IMO, that is the most important thing.

I don't get excited about small differences between sponsors and internet price from "mega" dealers. Here, the sponsor wins out every time.

Gunkandpudge
09-22-2014, 04:23 PM
the discount I favor the most his having whatever I purchase put on the Spyder correctly the first time. If Spyderpops sells it I add it to my Spyder.
:bowdown:

OwnerOfHarriet
09-22-2014, 09:56 PM
personally I would rather buy from the manufacturer -

however when I find a manufacturers product at another business for substantially less -- (I know the manufacturer sold it to them for less) then I begin to ask for discounts --

if the manaufacturer gives a 10 percent discount he is still making more from me than selling it through a 3rd party -- I know not all manufacturers sell their own goods -- but many do

Cruzr Joe
09-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Some time at the events the vendors will do free or reduced price installs

Cruzr Joe

robmorg
09-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Having owned a business in a field that is highly price competitive has discouraged me from caring too much about vendor discounts. What I care about much more is quality products and quality service. When I don't get both of those, I feel cheated, regardless of what I paid.

Here's another way to look at discounts on small ticket items which makes them rather meaningless, for most of us who can afford to buy a Spyder in the first place.... If you buy something for $200 and the vendor gives you a 10% discount, that's $20. If you and your wife/girlfriend/partner go out to dinner at the local dinner down the street, you'll likely spend $25.00 You can forget the discount, stay home and eat left-overs, and you're $5 ahead. :sour:

MRH
09-23-2014, 10:17 AM
It's important to keep in mind that the vendors have to pay to advertise, pay for their booth, and have far greater expense in bringing their business to an event than a participant has in simply showing up. Many of the vendors are small businesses (often competing with large ones) in an already competitive market. I, also, love a good discount, but giving one can sometimes negate any value for the vendor in showing up a the event by the time they've paid all of their costs to be there.

It has also been my experience in business that many of these events can end up loosing money for vendors, and a 10% or 20% discount isn't likely to sway enough people to purchase to offset the cost of the discount. If, and this is optimistic, a vendor makes 40% on a sale, then they would have to sell twice as many items to give a 20% discount and still break even.

I would rather have a vendor standing behind what they sell than giving me a deal on something they won't stand behind.