PDA

View Full Version : foaming oil

mstella101
09-21-2014, 12:49 AM
the last two time I checked my oil-I've got a '13 STS SE5- the 1st couple times i check the stick the oil is foaming. it stops after a couple of seconds.Has anyone noticed this - is it something bad? Does this mean oil needs to be changed? :spyder2: is going in Monday for its 4600 mile check up- so I know oil will be changed along with the other things.

SpyderAnn01
09-21-2014, 01:23 AM
I think I remember reading that you should let the Spyder idle for 30 seconds or so before you shut it off to check the oil. This lets the bubbles dissipate.

BajaRon
09-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Some oil foams a lot worse than others. Foaming isn't a good thing as foam does not lubricate. But it isn't usually a problem either because it usually isn't foaming where you don't want it to. BRP oils tend to foam, especially the blended oil. Just give it a minute or so before checking the level and you should be fine.

If it worries you, switch to an oil that doesn't foam as much.

Bob Denman
09-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Ron,
Can you please give us some insight, as to which oils are less-prone to this trait?

BajaRon
09-21-2014, 01:01 PM
I don't have a list or chart. I know from experience and customer feedback that the BRP blended tends to foam more than most.

Amsoil (and other true Full Synthetics) foams very little.

I really don't have information beyond that. Maybe others will chime in.

mstella101
09-21-2014, 02:35 PM
thanks to all for the insight. after this 4600 mile check up this week I am going to try changing oil myself in the future using Bajarons kit. it sounds like this wouldn't be a problem then . again thx to all

UNCLEDAVE
09-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Foaming oil can be caused by anti-freeze in your oil/crankcase. Definitely mention this foaming oil situation to your mechanic. Hopefully, it's not that serious.

Un. Dave

DrewNJ
09-21-2014, 06:27 PM
If its a normal oily looking foam that still translucent its totally normal and will not cause you any issues.
If its a milky more opaque foam then you've got issues.

Normally let it sit for 15-20 seconds before pulling the stick and your foam should be minimal.

Chupaca
09-21-2014, 06:59 PM
foaming is common. This will normally accumulate in the oil tank. Give it a moment to settle then measure you oil level. Low oil will also contribute to foaming. Old or wrong viscosity...I use xps (brp oil) and it will foam some depending on several things. Keep it full, keep it clean and you will be fine...:thumbup: