PDA

View Full Version : Might be time to upgrade

scottnkansas
09-19-2014, 10:40 AM
I have a 2012 RT Limited. I love it. Drives great. I've never had any problems with it. But I see so many people loving the 2014. I know it has a larger engine. What other perks are there to owning one? Can you all tell me why you like it and what's different from the older models?

Scott

PW2013STL
09-19-2014, 10:49 AM
For me the biggest + is no heat. No hot foot at all! Then there is how smooth it drives and the great gas milage it gets. Did I mention the gas milage?
I enjoyed riding my 2013, but this takes it to the next level!!

PrairieSpyder
09-19-2014, 11:31 AM
For me the biggest + is no heat. No hot foot at all! Then there is how smooth it drives and the great gas milage it gets. Did I mention the gas milage?
I enjoyed riding my 2013, but this takes it to the next level!!

:agree:

But, you know what we say . . . Don't test-ride one until you know you can buy one!

BikerDoc
09-19-2014, 11:33 AM
No heat, smoother shifting, no need to worry about trailer mode, longer range/better mileage, low maintenance cost due to longer maintenance schedule, better brakes and a more comfortable stock seat.. ride it , you will buy it...

ARtraveler
09-19-2014, 12:51 PM
No heat, smoother shifting, no need to worry about trailer mode, longer range/better mileage, low maintenance cost due to longer maintenance schedule, better brakes and a more comfortable stock seat.. ride it , you will buy it...

:agree: x 2. BikerDoc has it covered. :yes:

CMA Cowboy
09-19-2014, 01:01 PM
:agree: wholeheartedly

DJFaninTN
09-19-2014, 01:02 PM
less money in your bank account :doorag:

Bob Denman
09-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Just try one out first...

...but leave your wallet at home! :shocked:

Yes; they ARE that good! :2thumbs: nojoke

The larger, torquier engine
the six speed transmission WUTH the new hydraulic lock-up system
the new cooling system with radiators mounted up front, and fans that move the air forward, at low speeds
The new 1200 watt alternator blows the old 650 watt magneto out of the water!
A more comfortable seat
Better speakers in the sound system

PW2013STL
09-19-2014, 01:34 PM

the new cooling system with radiators mounted up front, and fans that move the air forward, at low speeds
A more comfortable seat

It has a sound system :shocked:

Chupaca
09-19-2014, 01:36 PM
1. Much less maintenance, no valve adjustments ever, longer service intervals etc.
2. Larger engine, more HP's better torque...smoother triple
3. Six speed transmission
4. Lower rpm's
5. Test ryde can explain all the above...:thumbup:

Dan_Ashley
09-19-2014, 04:06 PM
...but is the dash thermometer accurate?

Deanna777
09-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Quieter engine, being able to go on long distance trips on 1 tank of gas, better gas mileage, ECO mode, higher Torque, smoother ride, less trips to your dealership, very low maintance, comfortable seat, 1200-W alternator, 1330 Ace Engine, 6 Speed, shocks, engine break-in @ 3,000 miles instead of 600 miles( I had a 2012RTS-SE5) Also what everyone has mention in this post. The color choices.

This is my 2nd Spider. Deanna777:ohyea:

Dubld
09-19-2014, 05:14 PM
What BikerDoc said. I put 14,000 miles on my 2013 RTS. The heat was getting really bad. Not an issue on the '14. When I test drove one, it was like night and day. So much smoother. I knew I had to get one. Like other people have said, though. Don't test ride one unless you have the means to buy it.

mtdoragary
09-19-2014, 05:30 PM
less money in your bank account :doorag:

or more money owed to the bank!

lwrydr
09-19-2014, 06:42 PM
I can't afford one cause i'm making payments on my 2013 RTL...and I hust added cat-delete and JT's air filter to it....so I guess I will just have to do with my old one...

Dragonrider
09-19-2014, 07:45 PM
No one has mentioned that you check the oil UNDER THE SEAT!!!! Pop the seat, and on one side is the gas filler, and on the other is the oil dip stick!!

BajaRon
09-19-2014, 10:12 PM
I have a good friend that had a very nice 2012 RT. He loved it and rode it an average of 300 miles a week in the hills of east Tennessee and Northwest North Carolina. He's an elderly gentleman but he can hang with anyone in the twisties.

Anyway, he needed maintenance on his 2012 early this year and the dealership gave him a 2014 RT demo to ride while they kept his 2012 over the weekend. I saw him riding the new 2014 RT, and at that time they were as rare as hen's teeth. So I stopped by and asked him about it because they were not even available at the dealerships for sale yet.

He went on and on about how he didn't see what all the big deal was. That yes, it had a little more power, and yes it rode a little nicer. But it wasn't enough to bother. I was a bit surprised but I couldn't argue since I had no personal experience. He was so adamant about it I just let it drop.

I saw him some time later, and guess what! He was riding a brand new 2014 RT. Again I stopped by his house a few days later and asked him what happened? You were so unimpressed with the 2014 RT before. You said you couldn't see why anyone would trade from the 2012 RT to the 2014 RT.

He said that after riding the 2014 RT over the weekend and then turning it back into the dealer to pick up his beloved 2012 RT. As he began to ride back home on his 2012 RT he had a big change of heart. He turned around, rode back to the dealer and ordered a brand new 2014 RT.

His smile gets bigger every time I see him.

Smart dealer!

Bob Denman
09-20-2014, 07:17 AM
That dealer must be one heckuva good fisherman... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_14_11.gif
He knows how to set the hook, and reel them in! :2thumbs:

PW2013STL
09-20-2014, 08:17 AM
That dealer must be one heckuva good fisherman... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_14_11.gif
He knows how to set the hook, and reel them in! :2thumbs:

:agree:
That's the best way to get them to trade. One of the MN chapter riders had his bike in for an engine replacement and the dealer gave him his 2014 demo to ride for the two weeks it took to replace that engine.
Every time we met up he would talk about that 14 and how nice it was.

Yesterday as I was picking mine up from the replacement of the alternator I looked over the showroom floor and there is his old

Now he is riding a new 2014 in that odd looking Orange color:roflblack:

robmorg
09-20-2014, 08:38 AM
...but is the dash thermometer accurate?
:roflblack::roflblack: :2thumbs:
.... or do 2014 owners just feel cooler? :sour:

fireplug98
09-20-2014, 08:47 AM

I rode a 14 the other day. The new brakes are amazing !! Night & day over previous years.
Its a little thing but I love the new oil dip stick placement !!:yes:

Tommy J.

fireplug98
09-20-2014, 08:49 AM

A more comfortable seat

I didn't know the speakers were upgraded. Thats great !!!! :-)

Tommy J.

A1A
09-20-2014, 01:32 PM
I didn't know the speakers were upgraded. Thats great !!!! :-)

Tommy J.

Me either! I just thought the motor was much more smoother & more quiet running. That's why I could here the radio a lot better.:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
09-20-2014, 02:37 PM
I have a 2012 RT Limited. I love it. Drives great. I've never had any problems with it. But I see so many people loving the 2014. I know it has a larger engine. What other perks are there to owning one? Can you all tell me why you like it and what's different from the older models?

Scott

Bigger tires, better brakes, 6 speed instead of 5 speed, bigger engine, lower rpm's when riding, better gas mileage, further on a tank, more comfortable seat, factory backrest available, no heat issues, longer time between maintenance, I could go on but i think you get the picture.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
09-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Tommy. Be careful... :shocked:
A 2014 is gonna end up following you home! :yikes: :2thumbs:

scottnkansas
09-20-2014, 03:12 PM
This is just the kind of information I was looking for. Sounds like its one heck of a machine. I should be in Springfield Mo next month for Lamont's BBQ. Maybe I'll get a chance to ride one up at Pitbull Powersports. Thank you to everyone who commented and shared. Now it's time to convince the wife!!

Scott

Bob Denman
09-20-2014, 04:55 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_4.gif (Do yourself a favor... DON'T let her with 100 miles of this place! She'll figure out that we are ALL the bad examples, that she's been warning you about!) :roflblack:

Woodsrider
09-20-2014, 05:21 PM
This is just the kind of information I was looking for. Sounds like its one heck of a machine. I should be in Springfield Mo next month for Lamont's BBQ. Maybe I'll get a chance to ride one up at Pitbull Powersports. Thank you to everyone who commented and shared. Now it's time to convince the wife!!

Scott
I like it that there are folks that gather information, carefully weigh the evidence, discuss with mate.

Me....this morning I woke up and thought 'I'd like to check the 2014 out'. 'honey I'll popping over to Brewer's for a little bit'. Three hours later I rode back on a different spyder than I rode out on. Wife said 'well, when you were gone more than an hour I figured a new bike was coming home'.....

Bob Denman
09-20-2014, 05:26 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_75.gif Your Better-Half sounds like a real "Keeper"! :2thumbs:

scottnkansas
01-18-2015, 09:43 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for there input. Got my new 2014 a few weeks ago. It's a RT-S in cognac. It is all you said it would be. I got it from Pitbull and it's such a nice ride. I've only put around 200 miles on it but I'll be adding many more. Again thanks for all the info.

Scott

PrairieSpyder
01-18-2015, 10:13 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for there input. Got my new 2014 a few weeks ago. It's a RT-S in cognac. It is all you said it would be. I got it from Pitbull and it's such a nice ride. I've only put around 200 miles on it but I'll be adding many more. Again thanks for all the info.

Scott

OH NO!! You drank the Cognac! :congrats:

I hope you know that while in Kansas you have to say "kog-nak" don't you?

spyderbirds
01-18-2015, 10:31 AM

Scott

Scott,

Congrats, we update your ryde listing on the KS Owners post.
I hear its a heat wave there currently?