PDA

View Full Version : can you believe this question?

bruiser
09-18-2014, 07:20 PM
We stopped for gas and a snack on the way home today. Guy comes up and says "can I ask you a question?". "Sure" we say. "My friend told me these things will roll over faster than a two wheeler. Is that true?" Kris and I look at each other like "really?" "Did we just hear that?" We both said no, and he thanks us and walks away. Duuuuuuuh.

SPYD3R
09-18-2014, 07:25 PM
I HAD A SOMEWHAT SIMILAR QUESTION ASKED OF ME, BUT WITH A LITTLE TWIST.....
THIS GUY WALKS UP TO ME AND SAID, "I HEAR THESE THINGS FLIP OVER ALOT. IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY STEER BY THE REAR WHEEL, LIKE AN OUTBOARD BOAT"....
I TOLD HIM THAT IS DIDN'T STEER FROM THE REAR, AND HAD TO SHOW HIM THAT THE FRONT WHEELS MOVED WHEN I MOVED THE HANDLEBAR... HE SHOOCK HIS HEAD AND WALKED AWAY.....
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

dadof4
09-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Hard to believe, isn't it?

Jim&Teresa
09-18-2014, 07:33 PM
I think some people remember the 3 wheel ATV's that tipped a lot and hurt people even though they were a regular trike and not a reverse trike....maybe that's what they were thinking? :dontknow:

ARtraveler
09-18-2014, 07:38 PM
I think some people remember the 3 wheel ATV's that tipped a lot and hurt people even though they were a regular trike and not a reverse trike....maybe that's what they were thinking? :dontknow:

:agree: x 2. I don't see how anyone can look at the :spyder2: and think its prone to tip overs with the two wheels up front.

djhobin
09-18-2014, 07:46 PM
This lady was on her way to her car in the parking lot of the grocery store, (I was running an errand) and she said I heard that these are more dangerous than a two wheeler. I said they are not and explained the VSS of the Spyder.

metman
09-18-2014, 07:58 PM
I too have had the "rear wheel steer" question and the "Does it lean" question too.

While in Gettysburg a couple weeks back, I had a conversation with a couple that went from (2) 2012 RT's back to a Harley trike. The reason was due to multiple electrical problems they had with both Spyders.

But he flat told me that the Spyders were more stable on both dry or wet pavement, more comfortable and easier to steer than their new trike.

Mike in KY

Yazz
09-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Remember 'Laugh In' and the little old man on the tricycle tipping over?

In my early years, once in a while, that happened to me as I pedaling my little red tricycle.

Turn too sharp, too fast and you do a face plant.

Interesting that people asking questions at gas stations can relate to that.

Bob Denman
09-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Tell them that it's okay; you're licensed to operate a forklift. :roflblack:

Chupaca
09-18-2014, 08:23 PM
where do they...see, read or hear this stuff..?? Most of them were walking...:roflblack::roflblack:

BikerDoc
09-18-2014, 08:24 PM
:agree: x 2. I don't see how anyone can look at the :spyder2: and think its prone to tip overs with the two wheels up front.
Never underestimate human stupidity......

Spidergirl
09-18-2014, 08:37 PM
We stopped for gas and a snack on the way home today. Guy comes up and says "can I ask you a question?". "Sure" we say. "My friend told me these things will roll over faster than a two wheeler. Is that true?" Kris and I look at each other like "really?" "Did we just hear that?" We both said no, and he thanks us and walks away. Duuuuuuuh.
I had a guy at the gas station one day ask me if I needed to push it to start it. I thought that did not deserve an answer and let my HMF exhaust do the talking. Hubby was there watching the guy and he had his mouth open. Bet he won't ask that again!!!

Hammertime
09-18-2014, 09:28 PM
was at a friends house(he has a GW) -- some neighbor walks over and said his friend had a Spyder and got ride of it because the Spyder tips over in turns -- "if the signs say 35 mph in this turn -- you BETTER slow down to a crawl " -- I told him -- either his "buddy" has never actually had ridden a Spyder -- or didnt know how to drive one -- then my bud states that I turn at least equal to his GW if not better -- the guy then said he "had to go home" and left

DJFaninTN
09-18-2014, 09:29 PM
about as good as the guy who approaches hollers out ... HEY .. does that thing turn? I mean those front wheels ... do they turn?

my reply was nope .. they sure don't. that is why it takes me four hours to get home.

he stood there and watched me drive away and I made sure I turned the wheels for him to see.

Mexican
09-18-2014, 09:38 PM
about as good as the guy who approaches hollers out ... HEY .. does that thing turn? I mean those front wheels ... do they turn?

my reply was nope .. they sure don't. that is why it takes me four hours to get home.
You forgot to sey, "Here is your sign":clap:

billybovine
09-18-2014, 09:49 PM
I have had a lot of questions about rolling over easy or some variation of it. I have also been asked a lot about rear steering. One fellow that I told it actually steered by the front wheels. He said I was only asking questions you don't have to tell me BS. He then turned and walked away in a huff. :shocked:

Colin
09-18-2014, 09:58 PM
My best one was when a guy came up to me and started talking about the big long drive belt, telling
what it was made of etc... as he worked for a company that made similar, but I lost interest real quick
when his next question was "is it front wheel drive?" I just dropped my visor started up and waved goodbye lolol

JerryB
09-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Hi Doc,

Re: "Never underestimate human stupidity......"

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I routinely get the 'Does it lean?' question. :joke:

Cruzr Joe
09-18-2014, 10:10 PM
We had some people tell us that another Spyder owner told them that the Spyder came in three transmission choices, Manual, Semi Automatic and Full Automatic, we could not convince this person that Full Automatic was not an option.:chat:

Cruzr Joe

billrob71
09-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Hmmm well that's a new one ,never been asked that one before.:shocked:

danotech
09-18-2014, 10:58 PM
We had a guy come up and ask us if it was a dune buggy! Then he said "man, that looks like something my kids play with" (transformers?)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

vided
09-19-2014, 05:42 AM

Bob Denman
09-19-2014, 07:02 AM
:agree: Sometimes; it's just someone who really WANTS to learn more about them; but needs some work on their opening line... :thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-19-2014, 07:33 AM
stupid is not illegal, it just should be:banghead:

sledmaster
09-19-2014, 07:37 AM
Many people who are not mechanically savvy know of the inherent instability of three-wheel vehicles. The tricycle and 3-wheel ATV are the classic examples. With the single wheel in front, the vehicle is unstable going forward, but surprisingly stable in reverse.

Their higher center of gravity does not help either. Think back to the kids plastic three-wheel "big wheel" that sat so low to the ground, it was quite stable, even with one wheel up front.

So when these people see the Spyder, they often do not instantly realize the vehicle is inherently stable in forward motion, and if anything the instability would only be in reverse. Add to that a lower center of gravity and we indeed have a very stable vehicle. Not as stable as a 4-wheel machine with the same width, but then it would be an automobile, not a motorcycle, with a different set of legal requirements for on-road operation.

So when people ask me about the stability, I tell them a traditional trike is unstable going forward but more stable in reverse, where the Spyder with two wheels in the front is very stable going forward and less stable in reverse. They usually get it at that point. If not then you move on to the VSS, ABS, TCS and DPS discussion.

But it is amazing how stupid some people really are, and remember, they are driving the cars that we are out there with all day long. Sorry to point out that scary fact.....

SPYD3R
09-19-2014, 07:40 AM

I STILL HAVE MINE: 1984 HONDA 125M.... STILL IN PERFECT CONDITION.... ONE CARB REBUILD AND THAT'S IT, AND RUNS LIKE IT WAS BUILT YESTERDAY... GO HONDA....
95547 95548
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

MikeinGA
09-19-2014, 11:34 AM
I STILL HAVE MINE: 1984 HONDA 125M.... STILL IN PERFECT CONDITION.... ONE CARB REBUILD AND THAT'S IT, AND RUNS LIKE IT WAS BUILT YESTERDAY... GO HONDA....
95547 95548
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

They were fun to ride, but you hade to know it's limitation.

Mike

cuznjohn
09-19-2014, 11:39 AM
the most asked questions i get are,1 DO YOU LIKE IT, AND 2 BEING HOW MUCH WAS IT

Dragonrider
09-19-2014, 12:12 PM
You guy REALLY need to STOP shopping at WallyWorld!!!

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-19-2014, 12:17 PM
the most asked questions i get are,1 DO YOU LIKE IT, AND 2 BEING HOW MUCH WAS IT

those are also the 2 most common questions i get many times from hd riders.

i have had 2 yamaha 250 trikes in the 90's & flipped them many times, they are very unsafe. In no way can i compare a :spyder2: to them. Yes those were off road trikes & :spyder2:'s are not but the regular trikes do flip very very very easily, i had the bruised ribs & aches to prove it.

Bob Denman
09-19-2014, 01:24 PM
They were fun to ride, but you hade to know it's limitation.

Mike

Limitations... WHAT limitations?!? 95559

NovaSpyder
09-19-2014, 01:57 PM
95547 95548
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

Well I think that's a tiny little tractor. There was this ad out of Virginia I think about 20-25 years ago, Warning foul language.

http://youtu.be/Gc9Btb1xfNY

Bfromla
09-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Cant fix stupid! I hate I get asked "how fast will it go?" Everywhere ! (Look @the speedo & tell me if there is a road u dare think u can try that on! Speed is just gonna put u in emergency room faster, if not the grave!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coastrider
09-20-2014, 10:47 AM
The Spyders attract people, and questions are a natural extension of that curiosity. The fact that they know little about motorcycling doesn't make them "stupid". When riding we are all ambassadors for motorcycling, and our attitudes and behavior can help reduce the antipathy that many people feel for riders.

Dan McNally
09-20-2014, 11:07 AM

he stood there and watched me drive away and I made sure I turned the wheels for him to see.

You should have told him they don't turn, and you have to rotate them, every 100 miles, so it evens out the wear, since they drag on the ground like skis! :roflblack:

mtdoragary
09-20-2014, 11:26 AM

That's the comparison I've been getting...

Dgjason
09-20-2014, 11:43 AM
I'll be glad to give them a ride in my sidecar. Right after I lift them off the pavement in a left hand turn, I'll give them a ride on the spyder. That will change minds.:yikes:

OJ UK
09-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Someone else had this question a while back!

So there I am at the petrol station having just filled up and have hung the
nozzle back on the pump......checking the cost and a woman comes over
and says "Oooooh that's really lovely, that is! Is it electric???" :banghead:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Well I think that's a tiny little tractor. There was this ad out of Virginia I think about 20-25 years ago, Warning foul language.

http://youtu.be/Gc9Btb1xfNY

WOW, that is one funny hill billy red neck ad.:yikes:

Bob Denman
09-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Tell them, Yes; yes it is!!" :2thumbs:

"But the Hedgehogs that spin the generators, are petrol-powered!" :roflblack:

Dan McNally
09-20-2014, 03:08 PM

Why, yes, it is. I use it to transport gasoline to my car!

Blue Star
09-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Tell them that it's okay; you're licensed to operate a forklift. :roflblack:

Hey, not only am I a licensed forklift operator, but certified to train others :roflblack: :joke:

Bob Denman
09-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Guess what? :D
You're our new "Training Counselor"...:thumbup: :clap:

How about if we DOUBLE your salary, in here? :roflblack:

Oldmanzues
09-20-2014, 07:31 PM
One the other nite, at a Bike Night, no less. I was standing by the Spyder
A guy asked how much braking distance I needed because the Spyder only had brakes on the rear wheel. I said, you can see the rotors on the front right there and it has the ABS system for stoping. He said, that must be new, hde had never heard of that. I was stunned so said nothing. He walked off. Couple moments later two guys came over in Harley shirts, then one asked, excuse me, did that guy say what we heard about the brakes. I said yes. He turned to the other guy and said, we need to rip the Harley shirt off that guy. But instead we talked a few minutes about the Spyder. They said, they remembered the Spyder fron Rustys ride a couple weeks ago. Nice coments from them.
Oldmanzues

Oldmanzues
09-20-2014, 07:42 PM

I beieve that is a first.

There was a expert on here a long time ago. he was going to show us how to change the oil on a Spyder. His first coment was to find a secure spot for the kickstand. I did not go any further.
Off subject, thanks to all the real experts on here who helped so many of us with problems.

Mike X
09-20-2014, 08:16 PM
I usually get , how much , how fast and does it lean .
But one time , again at a gas station , a guy asked me if you could actually use them on the road ....????......all sorts of answers popped into my mind but I just said yes you can and left it at that :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dgjason
09-20-2014, 09:03 PM
My favorite one was the other day when this guy came over as I was leaving the store and wanted to know if it was articulated.

C3517C
09-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Is anyone aware of any Spyder ever rolling ? I'm not. Striking objects, or being hit doesn't count.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Is anyone aware of any Spyder ever rolling ? I'm not. Striking objects, or being hit doesn't count.
I tell folks that I'm not going to say it's impossible to roll them, but it is extremely difficult. Then I say it's not a bank robber's bike. When you turn key on it takes 15 seconds for the computer to boot up. I then I tell about how Nanny monitors all three wheels and lean and will throttle back if you're going in a turn too fast.

vided
09-21-2014, 07:33 AM
sometimes it's just nice being asked about the spyder :yes::yes::clap::clap:

Bob Denman
09-21-2014, 08:38 AM
:agree: Folks are just trying to figure out a way to start a conversation... I like to "cut them, some slack"... :thumbup:
Once the awkward part is over, they usually figure out something intelligent to ask. :D

Spidergirl
09-21-2014, 11:59 AM
I love that question "Do you like it?" No, I drive it because I hate it!!! Duh!!!!

Cruzr Joe
09-21-2014, 02:45 PM
:agree: Folks are just trying to figure out a way to start a conversation... I like to "cut them, some slack"... :thumbup:
Once the awkward part is over, they usually figure out something intelligent to ask. :D

:agree:

Cruzr joe

Spyder 42
09-21-2014, 09:52 PM
I'll be glad to give them a ride in my sidecar. Right after I lift them off the pavement in a left hand turn, I'll give them a ride on the spyder. That will change minds.:yikes:

:dontknow:

http://ural.wikispaces.com/Flying+the+Chair

unless you are running a left had chair...

Mexican
09-21-2014, 10:23 PM
I love that question "Do you like it?" No, I drive it because I hate it!!! Duh!!!!
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::clap::clap::clap: