PDA

View Full Version : Negative Comments

Barbwire
09-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Today we met a man in a parking lot on a pretty new GL1800 Trike as we talked he mentioned that he really wanted a Spyder RT but after reading all the negative comments on this site we scared him away. I explained there are many, many very happy Spyder owners and I was sorry that the negative stuff turned him away. I have a 2010 RT that I love and if I had an issue BRP was there to take care of it.

PMK
09-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Honda may not be perfect...but Honda is most times very well respected and known for being at the top regardless of the industry.

Bombardier, makes many great products also. I have more experience dealing with them in aviation than with BRP / Spyders. In aviation, they are no standout and run typical of other oems.

My experience with Honda in the aviation side has shown a very customer oriented attitude. Again, because Honda is Honda.

While buying our Spyder, the dealership had a new Honda Trike on the floor. In a word, expensive.

Personally, I would not worry about it. I'm sure if you look the Goldwing Trike sites have complainers also.

PK

bmccaffrey
09-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Well said. Business is business. They are all in for the money.

Good anology:firstplace:

Eagle1
09-15-2014, 08:48 PM
There are way more happy ryders than unhappy ones but, we are realistic there are negative comments and discussion.
He missed a great Ryde. Love my 2010 rt.

ARtraveler
09-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Also have to chime in that we hear more negative than positive. This gives the impression that the :spyder2: is not a good product. There are many more owners that have never had a problem compared to the issues that pop up from time to time.

There are many that post multiple times about the same issue, whenever and wherever they can. This also increases the negative impact.

Bob Denman
09-15-2014, 08:59 PM
:agree: He DID miss out on a great ride! :thumbup:
Loved my 2010, and lovin' my 2014!

dadof4
09-15-2014, 09:07 PM
I would not be on my second RT if they were that problematic.

JacCh
09-15-2014, 09:15 PM
I am like him. I really got interested in a Spyder RT. My sister in law bought one last year and she really likes it and talks good about it but she has had a few problems. On my Honda trike I haven't had any problems at all and had a few Hondas and many miles without a problem. That is what is holding me up when I read all the problems Spyders are having. Still on the fence.

Chupaca
09-15-2014, 09:23 PM
sad that he would judge his purchase on this site. He didn't read the honda or other sites with their issues. It would be nice to see the stats on units on the road vs problem units. Not having that folks seem to feel this site represents everyone ever manufactured. Hope he is happy with his choice it is a good trike..:thumbup:

Gray Ghost
09-15-2014, 09:25 PM
I am like him. I really got interested in a Spyder RT. My sister in law bought one last year and she really likes it and talks good about it but she has had a few problems. On my Honda trike I haven't had any problems at all and had a few Hondas and many miles without a problem. That is what is holding me up when I read all the problems Spyders are having. Still on the fence.

I have a feeling that if you were considering buying a Honda for the first time and were reading a Honda forum you would see several comments about problems with the bikes. Forums serve as a place people can seek assistance from other folks when they are having a problem. It is not a sign that the bikes are bad, it just lets you know that you have found a place where you can learn from others about the particular brand/model.

PMK
09-15-2014, 09:31 PM
sad that he would judge his purchase on this site. He didn't read the honda or other sites with their issues. It would be nice to see the stats on units on the road vs problem units. Not having that folks seem to feel this site represents everyone ever manufactured. Hope he is happy with his choice it is a good trike..:thumbup:

It was his choice, not insinuating this at the guy. But overall, whether it be motorcycles, cars, boats, fast food, beer, girls, whatever, there are a lot of dumb people. Consider how many times each of you have watched something happen, the shook your head in disbelief, then walked away saying to yourself that was the dumbest thing you saw that day.

Kind of like the person that buys a triple Whopper at Burger King, goes Super Size, then orders a diet soda...Whatever, just get the super large shake and be done with it. Does not have any bearing on my day, but makes me shake my head.

Brand loyalty aside, certainly the Honda is nice.

I don't get to worked up over...

PK

Highwayman2013
09-15-2014, 11:10 PM
I'd just like to point out that Honda doesn't make trikes, it's a kit.

tobor9
09-16-2014, 12:50 AM
Also just read that Honda is recalling something like 250,000GL-1800 for brake problems. no ones perfect!

SL Ken
09-16-2014, 12:58 AM
I have wanted a Spyder for several years. I started reading this site about a year ago and now don't know whether or not to jump in. I'm really very disappointed because I have been waiting all this time to get one and am now worried about a $25,000 investment that could go up in smoke, cook my legs, feet, etc. what I find interesting is that the people that are having these problems ARE on their second, third Spyder. That is very confusing to us newbies. :dontknow: I do know that forums are a place to air problems and try to get resolution but for heavens sake, some of these have PROBLEMS! So, I keep reading and waiting and hopefully I'll come to MY decision. A Goldwing trike would be an option but I could afford a 5-10 year old trike or a new Spyder. Doesn't seem like a very good option to me. Thanks for listening and thanks to the op for this thread to share what I've been thinking for awhile.

PistonBlown
09-16-2014, 01:56 AM
Had quite a few Honda's and had issues with all of them at some point - in one particular case I had 3 bikes of the same model with only one normally being in a roadworthy condition at any one time. They broke down so regularly that I used to just switch the number plate, WOF and Rego over to whichever one I'd managed to get working again that week.

And if your wondering why I bought 3 of them if they were that bad...they were very cheap and to be honest I enjoyed the problem solving involved in ownership:-)

ThreeWheels
09-16-2014, 04:37 AM

Here is another statistic that we don't have a handle on.
How many Spyders have been sold worldwide, and how many people are on this forum ?
I've met Spyder owners who know nothing of this forum, they just ride.
I wouldn't be surprised if the members of this forum are less than half of all the Spyder owners.

PW2013STL
09-16-2014, 05:23 AM
How many Spyders have been sold worldwide, and how many people are on this forum ?
I wouldn't be surprised if the members of this forum are less than half of all the Spyder owners.

:agree: As I am always meeting other Spyder riders who do not read forums and some who no longer read this forum due to all the negative comments they seen on here. They have told me that they have had no issues and would rather ride than worry about what might happen.
I know I would not have purchased my Harley's if I had read any of the forums. That would have been my loss as I had years of enjoyment with them as I am having with my Spyder.

MEP
09-16-2014, 07:22 AM
...and then there are the trolls, paid or otherwise, whose mission it is to manipulate the conversation and erode consumer confidence.

Bob Denman
09-16-2014, 07:26 AM
We have a cure for them... :D

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-16-2014, 07:37 AM
maybe spyders don't have more problems then others just bigger cry babies:opps: :gaah:

StanProff
09-16-2014, 07:42 AM
I am 25,000 miles happy with my 2010 RT-S. I have owned motorcycles all My life and still own 6 plus the Spyder. When I bought the spyder I tried out a used goldwing trike. Didn't like the way it rode, the wife was ready to get off after about a mile on a country road. (we had already tried out A new Spyder and she loved the way it rode with the adjustable suspension, I was favoring the Gold wing. I grew up with hondas and still have 3 of them).
I wanted a bike that was engineered to be what it is from the ground up. I did not want a kit. Bottom line we got the Spyder and have never looked back. Looking forward to the '15 RT's to see if we might trade up. I have never had a problem at all with the 2010. It has not been to the dealer with a problem yet. I do my own oil changes and basic service. That's all it needs. We've been cross country and back and taken many trips. It is a fantastic ride. If I were going to buy right now I wouldn't hesitate to buy a '14 RT over a Goldwing Kit.

PrairieSpyder
09-16-2014, 07:47 AM
I have wanted a Spyder for several years. I started reading this site about a year ago and now don't know whether or not to jump in. I'm really very disappointed because I have been waiting all this time to get one and am now worried about a $25,000 investment that could go up in smoke, cook my legs, feet, etc. what I find interesting is that the people that are having these problems ARE on their second, third Spyder. That is very confusing to us newbies. :dontknow: I do know that forums are a place to air problems and try to get resolution but for heavens sake, some of these have PROBLEMS! So, I keep reading and waiting and hopefully I'll come to MY decision. A Goldwing trike would be an option but I could afford a 5-10 year old trike or a new Spyder. Doesn't seem like a very good option to me. Thanks for listening and thanks to the op for this thread to share what I've been thinking for awhile.

:welcome: Don't judge the product just by the problems discussed here. People who have no problems don't usually post about it.

wyliec
09-16-2014, 08:11 AM
maybe spyders don't have more problems then others just bigger cry babies:opps: :gaah:

If DrewNJ doesn't mind, I'm going to use a word I learned from him; That's HARSH.

Bob Denman
09-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Wylie,
He deals in hyperbole... :D

BikerDoc
09-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Today we met a man in a parking lot on a pretty new GL1800 Trike as we talked he mentioned that he really wanted a Spyder RT but after reading all the negative comments on this site we scared him away. I explained there are many, many very happy Spyder owners and I was sorry that the negative stuff turned him away. I have a 2010 RT that I love and if I had an issue BRP was there to take care of it. I can't get too impressed by someone who makes his decisions based on forum comments rather than his own experience and test rides. Every forum i go on is dominated by negative versus positive comments.. It is the nature of the beast that unhappy people yell louder and happy people quietly enjoy themselves

Pennyrick
09-16-2014, 08:57 AM
A nonscientific perusal of forums that provide similar kinds of information as Spyderlovers.com about other competitive products shows me that the mix of gripes, bitches and complaints is pretty much the same.

Even though those of us who are extremely happy and even moderately happy with the Spyder/BRP would probably like to see more happyTalk it isn't going to happen.
You can only say that you like your Spyder a few times.

These things are complicated & wonderful machines produced, serviced and rode by humans.
The machines ain't perfect and neither are the humans.

I agree Roger. Had there been internet sites back when I owned my first Harley There would have been lots of negative comments. Or in the mid 90's when Honda frames began to crack I bet you would have heard lots of negatives but there were few sites back then and fewer were connected.

Complaints on sites like this are a sign of newer technology in communications. The problems have been around for decades.

3 Wheel Addict
09-16-2014, 09:39 AM
If I had researched the forums first I would have never have bought my "problematic" 13RTS. We would have saved for another year and had the money for the Goldwing trike. After getting my issues resolved and getting a 14RTS things are looking better now. The 13 model year put a big "black eye" on BRP and that info is out there for all to read. Like I have always said.... A happy customer tells no one but a pissed off customer tells everybody he sees!

BajaRon
09-16-2014, 10:14 AM
It's the same old Catch 22.

This forum is a great place to get answers to problems and resolution of issues. There is no greater, single resource available to the Spyder owner, I don't think.

But then all the dirty laundry is hanging in plain sight for everyone to see. People tend to focus on warts.

All-in-all, I'll take the negative comments and the occasional customer who steers clear of the Spyder because of it.

It has been a rough ride for some. But overall, it's been a BLAST~ :ohyea:

bruiser
09-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Our 2010 RTS was doing great. Sure, it had minor issues. But they were all taken care of. Then came the ride to Spyderquest. The dreaded screen of death, the broken windscreen mount. But that could just as easily been my 2012 RTS. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Jeffsm69
09-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Glad I didn't listen to this or any other website when I bought my first Spyder, the reason that there are so many negative posts on a forum like this is because the complainers are the loudest, I've had some issues with my 2013 but nothing I can't handle on my own, they are great machines and BRP Care does try to help anyone with problems, that being said, there is still a big problem with the 2013 RT's, I'm sure that something will be done in due time, but reading through this message board can sure turn off prospective buyers, I still recommend them to anyone that wants the facts

sledmaster
09-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Anytime an individual has an "issue" with their Spyder (or any other product, for that matter) we have to apply logical troubleshooting techniques and try to determine the root cause of the complaint.

Sometimes it is an actual issue with the engineering, assembly, or design of the product. These are indeed valid concerns.

But many times it is something else. Could be an issue with dealer prep, training, knowledge, for whatever reason a particular dealer can not handle it.

Then there are issues with the consumer. They have unrealistic expectations, or do not understand the product fully and complain about it doing or not doing something that is really a lack of their understanding. Could be an adjustment, could be an unrealistic expectation. They think it should do something that it just isn't capable of.

So when a newbie comes to a site like this, they are bombarded with problems of users. In an ideal world, they would be able to sort out which ones are simply chronic complainers who will post about the same "problem" over and over and over. Hopefully, they would be able to sort out which problems are truly design and engineering issues, and which ones are, well, due to what we call O.H.S. - Operator Head Space.

I have owned three different Spyders for 80,000 miles. They are exceptional vehicles. Knowing what I know now I would still have made every one of my purchases. I do believe the 2013s were plagued with more "new platform" issues than what we all expected, but these are slowly getting resolved as much as they can be with the catalytic converter placed where it is. I wouldn't buy a 990/991 Spyder if I was exclusively riding in 90-100 degree temperatures at slow speeds, that seems to be a condition I would avoid.

It is sad to learn of people who are scared off after reading posts on this site. Perhaps they are unfamiliar with the nature of forums in general, and focus on the negative instead of the positive. There are FAR more people who own a Spyder that are NOT on this forum than what are. The MAJORITY of Spyder owners are not here. We are a highly vocal minority.

Oldmanzues
09-16-2014, 12:02 PM
I am on my second spyder for good reasons. They were fun, easy to ride, great on trips or around town with no real problems. Made fron the ground up by one company and the price difference are added joys.

Even today, if you look, there are all kinds of Horror Harley stories.
Oldmanzues

Dan_Ashley
09-16-2014, 12:17 PM
I have a 2012 RTS-S. I love it. I've ridden two wheelers for 40+ years. The Spyder is the best of all of them.

ARtraveler
09-16-2014, 01:46 PM

NHTSA says 52,000 Spyders through 2013. Add another 10,000 or so for 2014 and we should have ballpark 62,000 Spyders sold.

Bob Denman
09-16-2014, 01:47 PM
So at the current membership level; we're at well over 20%... :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
09-16-2014, 01:49 PM

You must have missed me. I am on Spyder number 5. I currently own two. No problems here. I would not drive a problematic brand of anything. That's why I have not bought a new VW since 1974.

ThreeWheels
09-16-2014, 02:00 PM
NHTSA says 52,000 Spyders through 2013. Add another 10,000 or so for 2014 and we should have ballpark 62,000 Spyders sold.

Thanks. Roughly 15,000 forum members. Roughly 60,000 Spyders. If every single member of this forum had a problem, that's at MOST one out of four.
I'd hazard a guess that 10% of the forum members have problems.
That means 2.5% of the Spyder population is problematic. Not bad. Even if you double it. That's only 5%.
Just testing theory against real world experience: We recently had a big gathering of about 150 Spyders
I know of two Spyders with issues. That's 1.3%.

It would be interesting to find out how accurate these guesstimates are.

Yeah I know, approximately 82% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

ARtraveler
09-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks. Roughly 15,000 forum members. Roughly 60,000 Spyders. If every single member of this forum had a problem, that's at MOST one out of four.
I'd hazard a guess that 10% of the forum members have problems.
That means 2.5% of the Spyder population is problematic. Not bad. Even if you double it. That's only 5%.
Just testing theory against real world experience: We recently had a big gathering of about 150 Spyders
I know of two Spyders with issues. That's 1.3%.

It would be interesting to find out how accurate these guesstimates are.

Yeah I know, approximately 82% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

RE: Statistics. The number of Spyders above is pretty much on the money--unless BRP wants to come on and give us their exact information.

No comment on the other numbers. When we were discussing the "heat issues," I got into it with a fellow member or two based on statistical interpretation. :roflblack::roflblack:

I will personally say though--IMO--you are 98.57946232l87 % correct in your assumptions. :yes:

Bob Denman
09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
You know what they say. :D
"Figures don't lie, but liars can figure!" ;)

Problematic bikes are always going to be over-represented on open forums such as these...
It's just the nature of the Beast.

Besides; who really cares how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin anyway? :dontknow:

ChasCS
09-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Or we can proceed with the old difficult methods... ;-)

1 last one, and then I've got to run...

By the way, No major complaints here, just think our 94 octane fuel costs way too much.

Zero, sure a warm leg? Hmmm, what about it? It might be the only thing warm in me come cooler fall -* degrees.

Chas

cyclekid58
09-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Prior to buying a spyder I talked to Trike owners, both HD and Honda as well as Spyder owners. Some of the HD owners had switched from the HD trikes to the Spyder and are happy they switched. In comparison both the HD and Honda were more expensive and both had one thing in common, manual transmissions, hand brake and clutch. I could have stayed with 2 wheelers for that, Can Am is the only one offering the Semi Auto transmission which is a selling point for many of us with medical issues. Plus the stability is a little better than either of the other 2, as told to me by folks that have owned both. Don't let the comments sway you, do your research and make your own decisions, we love ours and are looking at adding a second one.

Jeriatric
09-16-2014, 04:20 PM
They come and they go.

Had everything posted been roses. Would he have bought one?

Tire kickers. They come and go. nojoke

spyder3
09-16-2014, 04:54 PM
When i was buying there was a ton of bad issues going on...mostly battery and limp mode issues. Heard them all on here. I then ran into a few bad dealers.....But i still bought because i had to have one. :D and its been great with no issues. :thumbup:

Yazz
09-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Had no real problems with my '09 GS.

Met a mother and daughter at a gas station. They asked me all the usual questions, yadda yadda...

When they were getting ready to leave, the daughter ran back to me and asked 'Why does everyone say to stay away from the '13s?' I replied, 'Some of the '13s have heat issues. All the other years are great!'

They were collecting info for getting mother a ride the right way. Asking people who were on the road.

gparr
09-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Being a member here for a couple of months...but a lurker for many more...I come here to read the negative!!! It certainly aids me in making a more informed decision. How...because it makes the positives look so much better. For me, it is much easier to read about the problems and weed out the complainers.

I have not ridden anywhere near as long as most folks here. My best buddy rode Big Dog Choppers and begged me to get into riding...that was at age 45! I decided to purchase a Suzuki Burgman 650 to learn on after I finished the MSF course. After about a year I moved up to my dream...an 05 GL1800! I loved the bike...but I developed degenerative osteoarthritis in my left hand and could no longer squeeze the clutch lever. So, I sold the bike and purchased a Yammy FJR1300 auto...loved it however the seated position placed too much pressure on my hand and I could not ride for very long...bike was sold and I gave up riding. At 52 now and another buddy who has offered to let me take his Can Am RS out...I have refused to do so because you guys here have scared me -- if I take it out...I will be buying one!!!:yikes:

Since I am not one to make a fly by night decision, I read this forum a minimum twice daily and take in the negative...but mostly the positive of what is being said. I have narrowed my thinking to a 2012 RT LMT or wait until the Spring for a better price on the 2014 RT LMT. I am very patient and will wait until I have cash in hand!

i did not mean to get long winded or hijack this thread...but I am appreciative of ALL I read here and thank folks for being straight up with their comments.

Magdave
09-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Yep I am one of the "negative" posters but it is not because I dislike the ride. Below 80deg I enjoy it as much as anyone. 2013 is a one off that needs more effort to help it and I have done almost all I can. It is better than most of the really bad hot ones but at my own cost. Still waiting for BRP to do something that helps the airflow. All the pre 14 RTs have some heat issues The 2014 has had quite a few little growing pains of it's own. I will be waiting for the 2016 to come out and see how the 2015 fares unless BRP actually does something for us 2013 RT owners that either fixes them or gives us a really good deal to upgrade (even to a 2014) without losing $10k. All that said it still is a lot of fun to ride. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-17-2014, 07:05 AM
I gues that I'm Dave's Doppelganger; everything is all "Beer & Skittles", all of the time! :D
But seriously; my 2010 had some problems along the way, but it only helped to get the fires lit! :thumbup:
And the 2014: Su...WEET! :firstplace:

SL Ken
09-17-2014, 07:51 PM
I am wondering if the 2013 is the only Spyder with the heat issues. Were the 2010-2012 Spyders ok? Right now there seems to be some pretty good deals on those years as well. I even saw a "new" 2012 for a really good price.

Rockwall
09-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Friends like to bitch around the water cooler. That is what we do here.:doorag:

cyclelover63
09-17-2014, 09:28 PM
When I go on EBAY and research a seller,I look at negative feedback more than positive..I can tell if it is fair or BS complaints,and I decide if I want to do business with them...

Mexican
09-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Wylie,
He deals in hyperbole... :D
Hyperwhat?????

Bob Denman
09-18-2014, 06:38 AM
GIGANTICALLY huge emotional statements, that are designed to raise someone's ire... :D

Spidergirl
09-18-2014, 08:32 PM
I am on my second spyder and I love my STL.:yes::yes:

agasperino
09-18-2014, 08:52 PM
I notice that all of you that love your spyder have a 12 or earlier or a 14 . How about us poor suckers that purchased the infamous 2013.

4 MARIE
09-18-2014, 09:43 PM

I agree that some of what you read can be frightening.....BUT...Personally , I'm glad I waited for the 2014. I just ran another 1000 plus miles on it in the last three days, including 500 plus today. The odo says 9000 plus miles on a bike I picked up in May. It is so effortless and good that it is ridiculous. at least with the RT for sure, it's almost a no-brainer. Ride Safe and Practice. Ron

MikeinGA
09-18-2014, 10:18 PM

The biggest with the Spyders is getting them repaired and some times finding a good dealer. The other part of the Spyder is the maintenance and the owners must get the maintenance done and read the Operator’s Guide. Alot of people don't even do the pre-ride check list. For the most part the Spyder are a good ride, execpt for the 2013 RT & ST. That's IMHO.

Mike

ChasCS
09-18-2014, 10:35 PM
I notice that all of you that love your spyder have a 12 or earlier or a 14 . How about us poor suckers that purchased the infamous 2013.

With the 2013 RS-S, our only concern is a warm left calf.
And the price of 94 octane fuel here.

Chas

Bob Denman
09-19-2014, 07:00 AM
A lot of that will depend on you and your bike. ;)
Have you had, or are you having; heat-related problems with it?
If so; what do you plan on doing about it? :dontknow:
It's probably WAYYYY.... cheaper, to modify the 2013; than to trade it in for the 2014... or 2015! :D
LOTs of folks in here have made their 2013s run the way that BRP intended them to; just ask, and you'll get all of the help that you can stand! :thumbup:

900Dave
09-19-2014, 10:57 AM

We LOVE our 2013 ST Limited. 9000 miles and counting with no mechanical issues.