PDA

View Full Version : New to Spyders

Mark in MN
09-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone. My wife and I just picked up a Silver 2014 RT Limited yesterday. Only have about 70 miles on it - wanted to say hi. Will post some pics. We're about to wrap up the riding season here in Minnesota within the next few weeks and were planning on buying winter/spring looking for some deals, but they started discounting the 2014s pretty aggressively to the point where we also got a Honda CTX 700N for individual riding and to get that manual shift fix. :yes:

The only thing we've noticed, coming home from a friends house today is a rubbing sound in the front breaks. Almost like the pads are rubbing against the rotors. I saw a thread from 2011 which states this is normal so will not bring it up to the dealer yet. Excited to be in the Spyder family!!!

Funny thing - one of our friends is a pretty dedicated Harley rider. He took the Spyder around the block, came back with a smile on his face. I don't think he'd ever buy one but I think he understands why we did.

I've been lurking here for a little while - some great info on here!!!! So thanks for all the great posts - helped a lot in making our purchase decision.

Mark.

SNOOPY
09-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Welcome :thumbup:

bmccaffrey
09-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Welcome to :spyder2: country.
Brakes will wear in

Enjoy:yes:

samewok
09-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Welcome!

SpyderAnn01
09-14-2014, 04:44 PM
:welcome: are you near the Twin Cities? There is a great group of owners there and the dealer, Caswell's, supports the Spyder community.

Bob Denman
09-14-2014, 04:46 PM
:welcome: :congrats: on your great taste in motorcycles, and websites! :D :2thumbs:
I put a Harley/motortrike rider on mine last week... he came back looking mighty nervous!! :shocked:

Deanna777
09-14-2014, 05:37 PM
:welcome:and :congrats:on your 14RTS-SE6 Limited. Also Welcome to this :firstplace: site, we are here to help. Deanna777:ohyea:

robmorg
09-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Yes, congratulations and welcome! I got my 2013 exactly one year ago on the same kind of deal.

Even though you're not new to riding, check out the "Do's & Don't's thread (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners)" for lots of helpful information, if you haven't already read it. :thumbup:

SPYD3R
09-14-2014, 05:45 PM
WELCOME NEWBEE...... :thumbup: :clap:
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

ChasCS
09-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Congrats on the Spyder and welcome...

Chas

billrob71
09-14-2014, 06:09 PM
:welcome:

bodymanpainter
09-14-2014, 06:13 PM
:congrats:Welcome and enjoy your new RT and ride safe!
Toby

Eagle1
09-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the club, enjoy the Ryde. :clap:

Motorcycledave
09-14-2014, 06:54 PM
You will hear many sounds you never had before on other rides you have had
the brake sound is normal you most likely had it on your other cycles but it was
up front with a faring blocking the sound, the Spyder wheels are on each side if you
so you will hear tires, brakes and such.... Just get out there and ride and enjoy
Ride Safe
Dave
Motorcycle Dave

ARtraveler
09-14-2014, 07:09 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ride. As an ex-Minnesotan, always interested what part you are from. Born in Minneapolis, but lived in Duluth for over 25 years. Loved the North country a lot.

Chupaca
09-14-2014, 07:20 PM
congrats on the new ryde. Don't worry too much from sounds and smells till you get more miles under your belt. Welcome to the roadster world and becoming active on this site...:2thumbs::clap:

Utah Geezer
09-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Been looking at a Harley Tri-Glide myself but every time I do I just take the RT out and I'm good again. Haven't ever tried a Tri-Glide but pretty sure it isn't going to handle like my RT.

LEEB
09-14-2014, 07:49 PM
Been looking at a Harley Tri-Glide myself but every time I do I just take the RT out and I'm good again. Haven't ever tried a Tri-Glide but pretty sure it isn't going to handle like my RT.

I've tried the HD Tri-Glide, and you are right, it doesn't handle like your RT.

BikerDoc
09-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Hi everyone. My wife and I just picked up a Silver 2014 RT Limited yesterday. Only have about 70 miles on it - wanted to say hi. Will post some pics. We're about to wrap up the riding season here in Minnesota within the next few weeks and were planning on buying winter/spring looking for some deals, but they started discounting the 2014s pretty aggressively to the point where we also got a Honda CTX 700N for individual riding and to get that manual shift fix. :yes:

The only thing we've noticed, coming home from a friends house today is a rubbing sound in the front breaks. Almost like the pads are rubbing against the rotors. I saw a thread from 2011 which states this is normal so will not bring it up to the dealer yet. Excited to be in the Spyder family!!!

Funny thing - one of our friends is a pretty dedicated Harley rider. He took the Spyder around the block, came back with a smile on his face. I don't think he'd ever buy one but I think he understands why we did.

I've been lurking here for a little while - some great info on here!!!! So thanks for all the great posts - helped a lot in making our purchase decision.

Mark.
Definitely give the Spyder some serious break in mileage before you start to seriously worry about any extraneous noises. Most stuff goes away.. Also be careful not to read too much into earlier model year threads. The 2014 is literally a different Spyder than earlier years i.e different, motor, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc....

soaring hawk
09-14-2014, 08:08 PM
:thumbup: Welcome fellow Minnesotan! Enjoy the ride.

Gary:doorag:

PrairieSpyder
09-14-2014, 09:29 PM
:welcome: & :congrats: on your new RTL!! :nopic:

GloryRyders
09-15-2014, 04:29 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new :spyder:....................now you have all winter to load up on farkles!:yes:

unclegeezer
09-15-2014, 05:34 AM
Welcome to Spyder World:yes::yes:

OJ UK
09-15-2014, 05:37 AM
Do they still make great sauerkraut in Minnesota?? :thumbup:

redneck diva
09-15-2014, 11:06 AM
welcome to the madness