PDA

View Full Version : Smelling rubber

DriftersWay
09-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Need some thoughts from you guru's. Been riding my new RT-L and I am smelling
rubber (not plastic). I was thinking the drive belt, but I don't feel any heat on it after riding.
I did a test with my Krikit it shows 220 lbs. My dealer says its a break in process. I have 645
miles on it. Are they right or should I be concerned about it. I'm planning on a trip this
weekend to ride the Dragon. And I don't need any problems.

Thanks for your help. :)

Bob Denman
09-14-2014, 09:05 AM
They are PROBABY correct... :thumbup:
Keep half of an eye on the left side of the rear wheel; if you start seeing a HUGE amount of belt dust on it, while the scent of rubber hands in the air; give your dealer another call! :shocked:

DriftersWay
09-14-2014, 09:20 AM
They are PROBABY correct... :thumbup:
Keep half of an eye on the left side of the rear wheel; if you start seeing a HUGE amount of belt dust on it, while the scent of rubber hands in the air; give your dealer another call! :shocked:

Thanks Bob,,, And was the reading on my Krikit at 220lbs correct or within settings?

Bob Denman
09-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Tha'ts one of those things, that I'm not allowed to play with... :opps: I would be more concerned about the belt alignment, than I would be the tension right now... :shocked:
Did you take a reading from it when the bike was new? :dontknow: I know that BRP "tunes" the belt like a guitar string; the Krikit only measures tension...

There are LOTS of folks in here, that have them, and have developed a real feel, for what should be right. I'd put out a general quesiton about comparing Krikit readings to proper belt tensioning, and see what they throw back to you! :thumbup:

DriftersWay
09-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Tha'ts one of those things, that I'm not allowed to play with... :opps: I would be more concerned about the belt alignment, than I would be the tension right now... :shocked:
Did you take a reading from it when the bike was new? :dontknow: I know that BRP "tunes" the belt like a guitar string; the Krikit only measures tension...

There are LOTS of folks in here, that have them, and have developed a real feel, for what should be right. I'd put out a general quesiton about comparing Krikit readings to proper belt tensioning, and see what they throw back to you! :thumbup:

Thanks again my friend

Bob Denman
09-14-2014, 10:37 AM
They'll get you the answer; I'm sure of that! :2thumbs:

bgame
09-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Mine did the same thing... belt out of align.... belt rubbing on inside flange...

Chupaca
09-14-2014, 02:19 PM
there are many little things that project interesting aromas as the get heated up. Many parts are attached with rubber bands fir shipping that end up on the pipes and have to burn off. it should be less as you ryde more. Watch it but you should be fine..:thumbup:

ulflyer
09-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks Bob,,, And was the reading on my Krikit at 220lbs correct or within settings?

220 is what I got on my Krikit just after the belt had been checked by dealer. :D Interested if thats what others got?

PW2013STL
09-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Mine had the smell also, but it did go away.
As others have said check your belt alignment. After a ride stop and look at the rear pulley an see if there is a gap between the belt and the pulley flange. Make sure you do not back up before you do that as that will pull the belt into the pulley flange.

KX5062
09-15-2014, 09:55 AM
DriftersWay

Your belt is way to loose and I don't agree that it is part of the break in process. I have aligned and set the tension on several Spyder's with the Gates Meter.
The belt spec for the 2014 RT is 1050n +/-150n or converted to pound feet is 236 lb/ft +/- 33 lb/ft. Did you do your reading with the rear tire off the ground or was it on the ground? If this is a on the ground reading your belt is not tensioned correctly. I just checked my on the ground tension with the Gates meter and it is 1190n or about 265 lb/ft. Mine is tensioned to spec as I just had the belt replaced. The Krikit is a good quick tool to use to check the belt after it has been electronically done. The Krikit is not accurate enough to correctly set the tension. I would say the Dealer did not do the PDI correctly prior to delivering the machine to you. Another issue is the dealer hasn't updated his Gates Meter with the new belt parameters for the 2014 RT when he did your belt tension. If you have a Apple device read this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...and-Ipod-touch (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69093-Belt-tension-APP-for-Iphone-Ipad-and-Ipod-touch). Using a external mike and the APP you can easily adjust to tension of the belt.

Doc

With the utmost respect (I'm not kidding either) I will have to disagree. My 2014 had all kinds of interesting smells when new and nothing was wrong. After a few thousand miles, their all gone. There was nothing wrong with the belt, it was and is properly tensioned and aligned.

Also, he said his belt is measured via Krikit II to be 220 lbs and you said that's way too loose. It is not, that is perfectly within specs, which are 200-236 lbs, according to the conversion tables. From personal experience with an 08, CanAm sets their belts too tight anyway. In the original Krikit II thread guys, me included, found the bikes to run better with some the tension removed. Since the pivot point on the swingarm is so far from the axle the arc of travel is not all that great, so belt tension should not be all that critical, alignment is however. ;)

bgame
09-15-2014, 10:20 AM
With the utmost respect (I'm not kidding either) I will have to disagree. My 2014 had all kinds of interesting smells when new and nothing was wrong. After a few thousand miles, their all gone. There was nothing wrong with the belt, it was and is properly tensioned and aligned.

Also, he said his belt is measured via Krikit II to be 220 lbs and you said that's way too loose. It is not, that is perfectly within specs, which are 200-236 lbs, according to the conversion tables. From personal experience with an 08, CanAm sets their belts too tight anyway. In the original Krikit II thread guys, me included, found the bikes to run better with some the tension removed. Since the pivot point on the swingarm is so far from the axle the arc of travel is not all that great, so belt tension should not be all that critical, alignment is however. ;)

203 # to 269# is the range 220 # is within spec.

Roadster Renovations
09-15-2014, 12:16 PM
I set mine at 220. That is what it was right after the 3,000 mile service in the shop.

ARtraveler
09-15-2014, 02:07 PM
I had a little bit of the "rubber" smell and found what appeared to be some brake dust on the :ani29:. In my situation, both corrected themselves after about a thousand miles or so.

Roadster Renovations
09-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Again I ask " Is that reading with the tire jacked up off the ground or is the rear tire on the ground with full weight on the tire?" It makes a big difference.
As long as it was checked the same way before and after, there is no difference. My initial check was on the ground and so was my final check after tire replacement. The numbers matched what the dealer set it at. That is good enough for me. Belt is tracking fine. That was 1,000 miles ago now. Must be pretty close.:clap::clap::clap:

DriftersWay
09-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Just had the belt smell checked out at dealer. He says that its just the break-in for the belt.
All is good for trip to the Dragon :)