PDA

View Full Version : Questions, Questions!

summerdawn
09-13-2014, 06:50 PM
My husband and I just returned from a 2000 mile trip. I turned over 24,000 miles on my '12 RT. My husband does most of the maintenance on my bike and has noticed that the bike seems to use a bit of oil. He has to add about a quart and a half every 3000 miles. I mentioned this to the dealer recently when I was at the dealership to have the compressor replaced and he acted like it is normal. What do you think? It does not seem normal to us. Also, I got 18,000 miles on my first rear tire and now my second rear tire is very worn 5000 miles later. I asked the dealer about that as well and he said Kenda/Can Am changed the composition of the tires and made them softer, thus the decline in mileage. Is this true or is he covering for a misaligned tire? I wish I wasn't suspicious of my dealer but I am. I have no alternative to this dealership.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-13-2014, 07:00 PM
My husband and I just returned from a 2000 mile trip. I turned over 24,000 miles on my '12 RT. My husband does most of the maintenance on my bike and has noticed that the bike seems to use a bit of oil. He has to add about a quart and a half every 3000 miles. I mentioned this to the dealer recently when I was at the dealership to have the compressor replaced and he acted like it is normal. What do you think? It does not seem normal to us. Also, I got 18,000 miles on my first rear tire and now my second rear tire is very worn 5000 miles later. I asked the dealer about that as well and he said Kenda/Can Am changed the composition of the tires and made them softer, thus the decline in mileage. Is this true or is he covering for a misaligned tire? I wish I wasn't suspicious of my dealer but I am. I have no alternative to this dealership.
The 998 engine burns oil. How much probably varies with driving habit. I just had to add about a quart after about 1500 miles.

As for the tire the dealer isn't lying. The new Kendas are crap. Search the forum and you'll find all kinds of discussion about them and suitable car tire replacements. I just changed my rear tire because tread wear bars were showing at 7200 miles. I put on a Michelin HydroEdge 215/R6015. There's a thread about it here somewhere.

ARtraveler
09-13-2014, 07:41 PM
The 998 engine burns oil. How much probably varies with driving habit. I just had to add about a quart after about 1500 miles.

As for the tire the dealer isn't lying. The new Kendas are crap. Search the forum and you'll find all kinds of discussion about them and suitable car tire replacements. I just changed my rear tire because tread wear bars were showing at 7200 miles. I put on a Michelin HydroEdge 215/R6015. There's a thread about it here somewhere.

:agree: x 2.

jtoro1
09-13-2014, 07:41 PM
The bike eats oil mine 1/4 of a quart every 600 miles

samewok
09-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Some bikes use more oil then others.
The rear oem tire do not last long.
That is why a lot of us have put a car tire on.
I how have 14,000 on mine and only 1/2 gone.

SpyderAnn01
09-13-2014, 08:30 PM
The 990 burns oil but the new 1330 does not. Your usage seems normal to me.

Jeriatric
09-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Your dealer is being straightforward and honest in his answers.

MidTNDawg
09-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Just curious.

DrewNJ
09-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Your dealer is being straight up with you.
Oil usage will depend a lot on how hard your running it. Seems to burn more when doing a lot of highway running.
And it seems like the 13'-14' batch of Kendas aren't lasting to long.

Blue Star
09-13-2014, 10:21 PM

I had to put in about a 16th of a quart ever 500 miles. The dealer is correct about this. Have no clue about the tires.

Chupaca
09-14-2014, 02:44 AM
you will use oil and it will vary from ryder to ryder.
As for the tire..brp has changed back to the pre 2014 compound and you can get those and they will work well...:thumbup:

BikerDoc
09-14-2014, 05:48 AM
It's a shame that there were so many bad dealers at first that we now suspect our dealers so much

DrewNJ
09-14-2014, 07:08 AM
It's a shame that there were so many bad dealers at first that we now suspect our dealers so much
There are still way to many bad dealers....but I guess no more than bad car dealers....

Bob Denman
09-14-2014, 08:10 AM
:agree: :gaah:

But yours; is giving you the straight answer! :2thumbs:

(THIS time...)

Dragonrider
09-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Straight answers - my 990 used about a quart every 1500 miles - and the new OEM tire isn't worth much. Note the above mentioned Michelin has been discontinued.

MikeinGA
09-14-2014, 02:21 PM

Did you realize if it doesn't drip on the floor where does it go? There is a black hose that goes from the rear cyclinder to the air box, well that where mine went on my 2011 RS-S SE5 till I fixed that. My back tire lasted around 14,000 miles. A misaligned read tire wears alot faster. When I bought my Spyder the back tire was not aligned right and the belt was to tight. I bought a workshop manual and do my own maintenance.

Mike