PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT-S limp mode, lost confidence in RT, home on truck. Check relays, fuses seated

spyderyderjim
09-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Final Update info Sept 30th, 2014: R2 relay was b.o. (last week screen went blank, safety warning came on to push the mode button, RT kept running ok).
Put in new R1, R2 relays, inleft fusebox; heading to Lamonster BBQ!!
R1 & R2 relay part# 710001778

UPDATE info Sept 13th 2014:
GOOD NEWS I figured out what caused my 2014 RT problem, by looking at pdf print out!!!!
3 relays were very loose in left fusebox.
R1 relay: Reverse actuator (probably why I saw R on cluster, but stuck in netural)
R2 relay: Pre-starting (why I did not need to push mode switch)
R3 relay: Main power
My RT is running good again.

After 50 miles pavement bumpy road, pulled into gas station, 2014 RT-S went into limp mode, check engine light on, would not shift gears, emergency brake red light flashing. Pushed loose relays & fuses in tight, no luck, stranded for 3 hours in 95 deg sun.
2014 RT-S brought home on AAA flatbed truck 90 miles from Globe, Az.
Pulled right panels, emergency brake cable was connected.
At home pulled 20 amp WPM/LFB fuse, still limp mode. (WPM/LFB fuse is power for raising windshield module & emergency brake module).
Replaced 20 amp WPM/LFB fuse that looked ok with the spare fuse, (break in power probably caused ECM to reset), RT started & running normal!!!
LFB 20 amp fuse located in position f4 in left fuse holder.
Recommend 2014 RT owners to check relays & fuses seated firmly.
Lost a little reliability/confidence in MY RT.
2014 Spyder RT's are trouble free with awesome torque/handling, with 40-45 mpg, I love riding mine!!!
I am just giving a heads up to check that your relays & fuses are firmly seated.
Enjoy your rydes.
Jim

3 Wheel Addict
09-12-2014, 08:01 PM
I think for the most part most have had pretty good luck from the 14's considering the horrendous issues with the 13's. My 14 has been trouble free since new but I'm going to check my fuses and relays now. Thanks for the heads up!!

BikerDoc
09-12-2014, 08:36 PM
I think this is not the norm! I have 20000 miles on my 2014 RT including a saddlesore 1000 ride and still no troubles at all

spyderyderjim
09-12-2014, 09:18 PM
I think this is not the norm! I have 20000 miles on my 2014 RT including a saddlesore 1000 ride and still no troubles at all

Yes I know this is not the norm, (my 1st problem) probably my one in thousands of 2014 Spyder RT's, that this happened.
I just gave a heads up if anyone has a similar limp mode to check LFB 20 amp fuse.
The 20 amp fuse I replaced with spare fuse looked good, but RT started right up & ran ok after that!
I think my 2014 RT-S is awesome with all the torque & great handling, love riding it.
I temporary lost a little confidence/reliability in MY RT (because my heart health will not handle stranded in 95+ deg heat).
Thanks for reply.
I admire your 20,000 miles+ on 2014 RT-L!!!
Enjoy.
Jim

stewartj239
09-13-2014, 11:08 AM
After 50 miles of fast corners on bumpy road, pulled into gas station, 2014 RT-S went into limp mode, check engine light on, would not shift gears, emergency brake red light flashing. Pushed loose relays & fuses in tight, no luck, stranded for 3 hours in 95 deg sun.
2014 RT-S brought home on AAA flatbed truck 90 miles from Globe, Az.
Pulled right panels, emergency brake cable was connected.
Pulled 20 amp LFB fuse, still limp mode. (LFB fuse is power for raising windshield module & emergency brake module).
Replaced 20 amp LFB fuse that looked ok with the spare fuse, RT started & running normal!!!
LFB 20 amp fuse located in position f4 in left fuse holder.
Recommend 2014 RT owners to check relays & fuses seated firmly.
Lost a little reliability/confidence in MY RT.
2014 Spyder RT's are trouble free with awesome torque/handling, with 40-45 mpg, I love riding mine!!!
I am just giving a heads up to check that your relays & fuses are firmly seated.
Enjoy your rydes.
Jim

I am sorry to hear this Jim. You are so on top of things mechanically that of course, it is one of those really obscure things that got you. For peace of mind, are you able to duplicate the problem by placing the bad fuse back in? It would be nice to verify before you get back out on the road again.

jerpinoy
09-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Normal driving, less bumps keeps the fuses seated. Spyders are made to ride to enjoy and they complains on bumpy roads. Happy riding on smooth roads.

Bob Denman
09-13-2014, 02:48 PM
:congrats: on being able to find, and fix it! :clap: :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
09-13-2014, 02:59 PM
:agree: the :spyder2: is not a great "off road" or "bad road" machine. I do my best to avoid bad roads if I can. Have never taken mine off road.

Bad things can happen with a loose fuse/breaker and a punishing ride can cause those problems to rear their ugly heads. Rocks and drive belts are another bad scenario. We picked up a rock going on about .5 mile dirt road to a camp ground. The rock caused enough damage to cause replacing the belt. $350 by the time it was over. No tow required.

For adventure type roads, I recommend an adventure bike.

spyderyderjim
09-13-2014, 08:58 PM
I am sorry to hear this Jim. You are so on top of things mechanically that of course, it is one of those really obscure things that got you. For peace of mind, are you able to duplicate the problem by placing the bad fuse back in? It would be nice to verify before you get back out on the road again.

I updated original post now that I have figured out what the problem was.

I double checked the 20 amp LFB fuse I pulled out and it is good!
So I guess when I pulled, then replaced fuse the second time computer reset or something.
The first time I pulled & put back in LFB fuse it stayed in limp mode!!
But it starts & runs fine on 25 mile test ride!!!
So I will just ride and not worry about it.
Maybe when I shook the relays loose on the sharp corners bumpy pavement mountain road it messed with the computer in limp mode.
Just odd it did not show up until after about another 20 miles of smooth road into Globe, Az;
(the bumpy road was not that bad, alot of the road was just recently paved).
Terry did not have any problem with his 2014 RT-L riding same road!
I am happy I was able to see on the pdf print it was LFB 20 amp fuse that is power for red flashing emergency brake module & also for windshield module. (I pulled right side panels and checked emergency brake cable was still on).
So If ever again same limp mode I will check to see if windshield still works.
I will probably go back in a few weeks and ride that road again.
Jim, you would love the sharp curvy mountain road in middle of nowhere, no traffic!!!!
Yes, I try to stay on top of things on my 2014 RT-S.
So maybe positive came out of this, that RT ryders will check to make sure their relays & fuses are pushed in firm.
You are enjoying your 2013 RT mods I am sure?
Thanks for reply.
Enjoy.
Jim

SpyderAnn01
09-13-2014, 10:19 PM
I always hate it when I read that somebody had their Spyder towed. A lot of times you can reset the computer and be on your way. Limp home doesn't mean it has to take a trailer ride.

spyderyderjim
09-13-2014, 11:18 PM
I always hate it when I read that somebody had their Spyder towed. A lot of times you can reset the computer and be on your way. Limp home doesn't mean it has to take a trailer ride.

Hi Ann,
I spent 3 hours in the 95 deg sun trying everything I know with 40,000 miles of riding experience Spyder's over past 3 1/2 years to get RT running.
Nothing worked, computer would not reset!! This was more than limp mode: RT was stuck in nuetral, R showing on cluster, red emergency brake light flashing, low fuel alarm on (I just filled gas tank), check engine light on, in limp mode.
GOOD NEWS I figured out what caused the RT problem, by looking at pdf print out!!!!
3 relays were very loose in left fusebox.
R1 relay: Reverse actuator (probably why I saw R on cluster, stuck in nuetral)
R2 relay: Pre-starting
R3 relay: Main power

So when I pulled 20 amp fuse LFB/WPM at home for 1st time, RT was still in limp mode, etc.
Second time I pulled/replaced LFB fuse with spare the computer must have reset with the break in power.
2014 RT-S started up & running fine now!!! A 25 mile test ride confirms RT running good!
The bumpy 50 mile pavement road ryde must have shook the relays loose; altho I rode another 20 miles on smooth pavement before any problems.
Terry on his 2014 Spyder RT-L rode same road with me and did not have a problem!!!
(I posted this update on my original post).
I love riding my 2014 RT-S Spyder & happy I figured out problem to get back to ryding again.
Hopefully this will help other RT ryders by checking their relays/fuses are pushed in firm.
Thank you for reply.
Jim

SpyderAnn01
09-14-2014, 12:07 AM
Jim, I didn't see where you had said that it wouldn't start. I'm glad you found the problem though.

stewartj239
09-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Jim, you would love the sharp curvy mountain road in middle of nowhere, no traffic!!!!

I am sure I would. As you know, I did struggle learning to ride the Spyder on those types of roads after riding on 2 wheels for the last 26 years. Once I learned to stop riding the Spyder like a motorcycle and ride it more like a snowmobile, things got a lot easier.

Yes, I try to stay on top of things on my 2014 RT-S.

That is why I was shocked to see this thread!!! I'm glad that at the end of the day, it is not a real issue, just one of those annoyance types of problems that won't happen again now that you've experienced it. I'm sure many of us have learned something from this experience as well.

So maybe positive came out of this, that RT ryders will check to make sure their relays & fuses are pushed in firm.
You are enjoying your 2013 RT mods I am sure?

Yes, the 2013 is really running real well, especially after all of the updates I made to it. I plan to keep it for at least another couple of years before moving to the 1330. By then, you will have everything figured out with it and you can give me all of the update tips just like what you did with the 2013 :)