PDA

View Full Version : The great debate

joet82
09-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Last weekend at Washougal MX Park, I was racing my other Can-Am, my 08 DS450X and on the las jump of the last lap of the last moto of the last race of the season, I wrecked.

I have been looking at all of my options this week, including:
Option 1 - Buying new parts, OEM and aftermarket, to replace those pieces that were damaged.
Option 2 - trading in the DS as is, and hopeing to get SOMETHING out of it towards a tradein for a newer model.
Option 3 - Trading in the DS as is, AND the Spyder, for a newer model, and then later, getting a loan for an F3.

I'm still torn as to what I should do, I will be tearing into the DS this week to see how much damage there is that I haven't seen. hopefully it's no more than whats already been seen.

BikerDoc
09-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Sorry to hear of your mishap.. I guess the decision will be more apparent to you once you tear into it and get the accurate estimate of the damage. With every pic I see I get more excited about the F3

Bob Denman
09-11-2014, 12:30 PM
You have several questions to ask of yourself; before going any further... :shocked:
How much has changed in the new DS bikes?
Is it worth trading for the new one, or just fixing what has worked so well, for so long? :dontknow:

Do I still LIKE my Spyder enough to keep it, or do I want the "latest & Greatest"?

I think that a teardown of the DS will hold a lot of the answers that you seek... :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
09-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Option 4 - trade the DS and the Spyder for a new F3!!!

Dragonrider
09-11-2014, 12:59 PM
All of the above, plus - when is your next race? Do you have enough time to fix the DS before the race? How important is it? AND the biggie: If I could only have one, which would I choose?

ChasCS
09-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Those are so cool looking...

There is a street legal quad, that I like the looks of, a lot. Venom...

Chas

tommyoneleg
09-11-2014, 01:42 PM
You only have one option and that is to fix it up and keep racing. The third option is out since you will need to give up racing on that, the second if you have the money then it would work but how much would you get out of it. I would not give up racing and trust me you will miss it, I raced superbikes for years and I miss it more then anything. Just my two cents that maybe worth a half cent.

joet82
09-11-2014, 02:04 PM
You only have one option and that is to fix it up and keep racing. The third option is out since you will need to give up racing on that, the second if you have the money then it would work but how much would you get out of it. I would not give up racing and trust me you will miss it, I raced superbikes for years and I miss it more then anything. Just my two cents that maybe worth a half cent.

The third option is me trading in both toys for a new quad...I wouldn't give up racing, but I'd have to give up Spyder ryding for a while.

Bob Denman
09-11-2014, 02:07 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif :D

joet82
09-11-2014, 02:08 PM
All of the above, plus - when is your next race? Do you have enough time to fix the DS before the race? How important is it? AND the biggie: If I could only have one, which would I choose?

Next race isn't till next year, unless I want to race in December at the Clark County Arena Cross. or at Woodland's MX races. and now that I've gotten a taste, it's very important. :D I got 3rd overall this year in my class (simply cause I attended all of the races. lol and I'd rather have a new quad and an F3, the upgraded versions of what I have now...but IDK if the wallet and the back (loan for the F3), or even my wallet will allow me to do that. Hopefully the frame isn't massively bent cause then it'd be a $2500 price tag vice about 1000.

billrob71
09-11-2014, 06:30 PM
I gave up all my quads and gave up a very and highly detailed big bore stroker Yamaha quad that I had a very large amount of money in. Love the quads but seem to ride very very little and no quad will ever be street legal here the spyder was the next closest thing.

Chupaca
09-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Really glad you fared better this final race than your DS did. Could this be a sign..?? But what's it telling you. Are you done with racing..?? Is your machine keeping up or will an upgrade put you ahead of the pack..?? Spyders are not going away so you have time but you on the other hand are limited as time passes..go racing as long as you can...good luck..!! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-12-2014, 07:02 AM
I gave up all my quads and gave up a very and highly detailed big bore stroker Yamaha quad that I had a very large amount of money in. Love the quads but seem to ride very very little and no quad will ever be street legal here the spyder was the next closest thing.
We must be "Brothers from a Different Mother"... :D

I did the same thing! 95064

billrob71
09-12-2014, 07:13 AM
We must be "Brothers from a Different Mother"... :D

I did the same thing! 95064

i don't have many computor pics of the other ones but here was my favorite and the last one I sold. Don't think as fast as my spyder but dam close.

Bob Denman
09-12-2014, 07:29 AM
:2thumbs: What'd you do to it?? :D :clap: :firstplace:

billrob71
09-12-2014, 07:07 PM
:2thumbs: What'd you do to it?? :D :clap: :firstplace:

Way to much too list but every bolt had wrench to a socket on it all were replaced with stainless everything was replaced , powder coated, polished or chromed. All lights were HID's and tail light was LED's. Only work I didn't do was bore the cylinder and cut the block for the big crank. ;)

ChasCS
09-12-2014, 07:17 PM

The Venom Evil street legal quad

The "ultimate in road legal quad biking" is how the makers of the Venom Evil describe their creation. If its exclusive designer styling and the splash of shiny chrome on the front crash bars and speedos don't manage to turn heads, then perhaps the water-cooled 250cc engine, twin exhaust and sporty alloy wheels will.

Quads have been steadily growing in popularity on mainland Europe but are still a relatively rare sight on UK roads. But all that could change with the introduction of the road legal two-seater Venom from QuadBike Ltd. With its designer looks, stylish contouring, road-hugging 51 inch wide track, LED lighting and chrome alloy twin exhaust, attracting attention is almost guaranteed with this sexy four-wheeler.

Envious eyes will undoubtedly be drawn to the tasteful splattering of chrome on the grips, mirrors, retro-styled speedometers and crash bars to the front. Onlookers will positively salivate at the sight of the sporty low profile road tires gripping the exclusive 14 inch alloy wheels, the kind of design seen on so many concept renderings but rarely making it off the computer screen.

The safety conscious might also care to note another feature. The company's Paul Bullock told Gizmag, "The outer walls of the tyres are very tough polyurethane and can run at 0.5 psi, driven carefully a flat tyre would not come away from the rim and should get you to a repair shop."

The mechanically-minded may well appreciate the Loncin 4 stroke 249cc water-cooled engine, which develops 10.7Kw of power at 6500rpm and maximum torque of 17.5Nm/5000rpm. It offers a top speed of 55-60mph. There are four forward gears and one reverse, manual clutch, a powerful hydraulic disc braking system, double-A swing arm suspension with air shock absorbers in front and divided ballonet absorbers at the rear.

Petrol consumption is around 40 to 45 miles to the gallon and its 8 liter (1.75 UK gallons) fuel tank should get you about 80 miles before needing a fill up. The Venom is fully certified for registration throughout Europe and riders will need a standard car license to take it on the road.

QuadBike Ltd ship the basic bike from an ISO9001:2000 approved factory in China to the UK, where it's then treated to the unique design specifications you see here by Mitsubishi trained engineers. Each quad is then checked over by the company to ensure quality control.

Unlike the Swiss GG Quadster we featured last year, the Venom's price is not going to make spotting one in the wild a somewhat unlikely event. The on-the-road UK price is a wallet-friendly GBP3,245 - mainland Europeans are advised to contact the company for more information. Unfortunately for Stateside readers, the Venom doesn't currently have U.S. sales certification so you're unlikely to see one any time soon.

But not for the American streets...
I'm in lovely cool Canada here, hahahahaha

Chas

billrob71
09-12-2014, 07:21 PM
I look at those quads but there is no were on the east coast around me that there street legal. They don't look like there built to hold up either . Be afraid riding up the interstate with throttle pinned there not a very high speed quad, not bad looking though.

Woodsrider
09-12-2014, 08:02 PM
I thnk that's why I keep my old KTM. I do one or two races a year, didn't want to get rid of it....I'll just keep it going. Unless you're really totalled I'd find a way to keep the old quad.