PDA

View Full Version : Please Help...

Copperman
09-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I can't get my seat to unlock and I'm too far from home with the gas I have. I've put pressure on the seat and turned the key with no luck. I have an Ultimate seat and the seat post often comes loose. Not sure if that's the problem.

I know there's a thread on here with the directions on how to unlock the lock from the underside. I will continue to look for it but I was hoping someone knew off the top of their head where it's at.

Thanks in advance.

2013 RT Limited

mtdoragary
09-11-2014, 10:30 AM
but I DO have a suggestion: remove the lock mechanism when you get home. A locked seat is a pain under the butt!

Bob Denman
09-11-2014, 10:36 AM
You MIGHT be able to pry the right front corner up far enough to get a small screwdriver in there to unlatch it...
I believe that you need to push the mechanism forward, to set things free! :thumbup:

Jim&Teresa
09-11-2014, 10:45 AM
People have turned the key the wrong way, try both directions. Also you mentioned pushing down when turning key - that's the right thing to do as well as pull up to feel if it's engaged while moving seat around a little.

Only other thought is to try to look in there with a flashlight under the right flap of the seat, you can see the pin that holds the seat in. To the right and just the rear of the pin is the locking mechanism. You could take a wire with a small hook to snag the catch and pull it towards the front of the bike. Hard to see, but it's just to the right (and a little back) of the pin when looking in from that way. A stiff coat hanger cut with a 90 degree hook on the end works - keep the other end away from your paint (just coil the end you hold onto). I just checked it out right now on my bike.

Good luck! :thumbup:

ChasCS
09-11-2014, 10:50 AM
I have had my trunk lock and seat lock both stick at various times, but usually with a little patients and persistence, it will detach.
I hope you can access yours, and get back to ryding.

Chas

Commander
09-11-2014, 11:50 AM
My RTL seat is hard to raise every once in a while. I just push down on the seat as you turn the key.

Good Luck

BikerDoc
09-11-2014, 01:04 PM
My RTL seat is hard to raise every once in a while. I just push down on the seat as you turn the key.

Good Luck:agree:

Copperman
09-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Whew! What a day.

I was unable to unlock my seat, was 200 miles from home and had about 50 miles left in the tank. Thanks to Service Manager Dan and Spyder Tecnician Billy of Big 4 Cycle and Marine in Evansville, IN for getting me back on the road.

They worked on my bike for a while trying to get the seat unlocked. At one point Billy called BRP and they advised him the cable was routed on the left side, but we later learned that it was routed on the right side (after getting the seat released). It turned out the cable was somehow kinked and the key no longer worked the release. I have since removed the seat post. They're filing it as a temporary fix warranty claim and I'll get it repaired at a later time.

This was really much more involved that what it sounds like. I just wanted to get this out before I went to sleep... at home in my bed!

Again, a shout out to Big 4 Cycle and Marine in Evansville, IN for helping a stranded Spyder.

ChasCS
09-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Sorry that it took you so long to get it unhooked.
Thankfully it has been discovered why, and your fix is in the making.
Have yourself an awesome deep rest, you deserve it after all that.

Good night? Yes, it will be now. ;-). REM

Chas

WackyDan
09-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Whew! What a day.

I was unable to unlock my seat, was 200 miles from home and had about 50 miles left in the tank. Thanks to Service Manager Dan and Spyder Tecnician Billy of Big 4 Cycle and Marine in Evansville, IN for getting me back on the road.

They worked on my bike for a while trying to get the seat unlocked. At one point Billy called BRP and they advised him the cable was routed on the left side, but we later learned that it was routed on the right side (after getting the seat released). It turned out the cable was somehow kinked and the key no longer worked the release. I have since removed the seat post. They're filing it as a temporary fix warranty claim and I'll get it repaired at a later time.

This was really much more involved that what it sounds like. I just wanted to get this out before I went to sleep... at home in my bed!

Again, a shout out to Big 4 Cycle and Marine in Evansville, IN for helping a stranded Spyder.

I had same problem with my GS late last year... would free it up and it would work for a bit and then be frozen again. Cable went bad and had chewed into the internal guide coil/sheath. Put a new cable in and no more issues. That cable went five years. The trunk cable only lasted two.

ARtraveler
09-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Thank you for posting that the problem is solved. :thumbup:

Chupaca
09-11-2014, 11:37 PM
Do like happy endings..thanks for the update and info...:2thumbs::clap:

Bob Denman
09-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Glad to hear that you made it home; safe and sound! :2thumbs:

grumpybob
09-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Somebody suggested using tie wrap to open the seat when you have a problem. Attach the tie wrap to the lever that unlatches the latch & run it out the front of the seat. I have done this on my 2012 RT limited and it works great. I have used the tie wrap many times in the past 3 weeks to open the seat to check the voltage on the battery. Of coarse this has to be setup before you have a problem opening the seat.

Can not remember who suggested this.

Gordy
09-12-2014, 06:43 PM
don't know about aftermarket seat but my cable broke.If you lift the left side of the seat at the front you can see the latch on the inner side of the seat and use a long screwdriver to operate the latch.I don't use the latch anymore just put Velcro under seat to hold it closed