PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy Kumho AST tire

Questions
09-11-2014, 07:18 AM
I would like to get a Kumho AST in 225/50 15 size. I have tried the Discount tires and tire rack and they will not sell when they suspect it is for a spyder. I ordered one at Discount Tires and they called and asked what it was for. Being honest, I said Spyder. No go. Next day I ordered and said it was for a Chevy cobalt. They cross-referenced my order and refused the order. Seems like they are now the tire-police. Or BRP has their hooks into Discount Tires.
Where can I just order the tire and have it sent to me without all the questions and back-ground check.

viperryder
09-11-2014, 07:24 AM
I would like to get a Kumho AST in 225/50 15 size. I have tried the Discount tires and tire rack and they will not sell when they suspect it is for a spyder. I ordered one at Discount Tires and they called and asked what it was for. Being honest, I said Spyder. No go. Next day I ordered and said it was for a Chevy cobalt. They cross-referenced my order and refused the order. Seems like they are now the tire-police. Or BRP has their hooks into Discount Tires.
Where can I just order the tire and have it sent to me without all the questions and back-ground check.

There is a link on this site of where BPR has told Discount Tire not to sell to Spyder owners. Kenda has changed their compounding of there tires. When the dealers order new tires now they will get 2012 tire compound. Call and order P/N 705 501 464. Make sure the last three numbers are 464 and NOT 604. 604 is the old tire compound. Hope this helps. I have had the same problem trying to get tires, but have ordered P/N 705 501 464, coming in this Friday.:yes::yes:

Highwayman2013
09-11-2014, 07:39 AM
You could tell them you will use it as a tire swing

Highwayman2013
09-11-2014, 07:42 AM
You can get many different tires that will fit and work well in the 215/60/15 size. I have one with 5300 miles and no problems. Now have general altimax car tires on the front.

sddinnh
09-11-2014, 08:47 AM
It seems to me that if BRP was so interested in what we run for tires, they'd issue a statement to that effect directly to us, the end users. They certainly have plenty of communication channels available to them, including this one. Yet no one has heard a peep from BRP on the subject. After all, there are guys out there moving the front shock locations around and that seems much more dangerous to me because of changing the steering dynamics than what rear tire we run. It's more likely that the tire discounters are doing this on their own hook for fear of a liability lawsuit because of supplying a tire which was unsuitable for the intended use.

The simple solution is to find a local tire dealer and just buy it off them. If they ask you can lie to them and say "tire swing" or "Chevy" or simply tell them the truth, that it's non of their business what your going to run it on. Most places have a disclaimer that it is the end user's job to determine suitability for a particular use anyway, so why should they care.

jtoro1
09-11-2014, 08:48 AM
If they will not take the truth , find out what car will take that size and tell them is for your spare and give them a different address

Magdave
09-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Try this link. They never called me. Give them a different phone # and use your wifes name:dontknow:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sortBy=prca&ar=50&fqs=true&rd=15&cs=225

BikerDoc
09-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Try this link. They never called me. Give them a different phone # and use your wifes name:dontknow:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sortBy=prca&ar=50&fqs=true&rd=15&cs=225
I also went on this site and input an order for one and they never asked what it was for - so long as you do search by tire size and not vehicle... still $81 with free shipping

Highwayman2013
09-11-2014, 04:24 PM
I went to my local tire guy, bought the tire and he mounted it.

DLewis
09-11-2014, 07:36 PM
You can get many different tires that will fit and work well in the 215/60/15 size. I have one with 5300 miles and no problems. Now have general altimax car tires on the front.

So do I!!:yes::yes:

Eagle1
09-12-2014, 04:56 PM
They must have just changed the policy. I ordered my tire 8/13/2014 and listed the vehicle a, 2010 Canam. See attached. No problem.

ElgynSpyder
09-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Husband ordered the Kumho online from DiscountTireDirect. He received a call the next day advising the tire was on backorder for 90 days, and would he like a different tire.
I call a local Discount tire, ask for the exact same tire...was told he would order it and he should have it by next week. He did inquire about what vehicle it was going on, hubby told me to say.... 66 Mustang with custom wheels. They entered the vehicle no other questions asked. Now just have to hope we do get the tire by next week. Need a new tire before the Hill Country Ride in Texas.

RonD
09-12-2014, 06:25 PM
I just got one from Discount tire through E-Bay. I just did another search and they still have them for $81.00 plus free shipping.
No questions asked!

Tx web rider
03-31-2015, 02:27 PM
went to my discount tire today the web site says they have 8 in stock of the Kuhmo ast 225 50 15

walked in said I need one they asked are they mounting it I said ill take with me un mounted no other questions asked $80 plus taxes

and I have bought several others there prior and they knew it was on my spyder

midnightbreeze50
04-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Hello Everyone , The Breeze here , So yesterday I went to the tire store and was able to buy a Michilin 215/60/15 tire for my 2013 Spyder RT, then I called the Dealer where I bought my Spyder and asked them how much to change the tires out for me, PRICE SHOCK!!!!
They want 260.00 just to take the old one off and put the new one on, I dont think so I've seen the Vidio how to do it, and i have all weekend to, so Ill save a little money , but if they had said around 150.00 , I may have let them do it, but they changed my mind for me!!

Midnightbreeze ....still Lovin my Spyder :yes:

04-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Called tire discount, bought tire for $81.00 shipped in 2 days. Took it to Can Am dealer and paid $130 for mounting. had no problems at either end.

cyclelover63
04-01-2015, 10:44 PM
There is a link on this site of where BPR has told Discount Tire not to sell to Spyder owners. Kenda has changed their compounding of there tires. When the dealers order new tires now they will get 2012 tire compound. Call and order P/N 705 501 464. Make sure the last three numbers are 464 and NOT 604. 604 is the old tire compound. Hope this helps. I have had the same problem trying to get tires, but have ordered P/N 705 501 464, coming in this Friday.:yes::yes:

Thanks for the part #...Is it on the tire?..Or do you have to take their word for it?..:yikes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the part #...Is it on the tire?..Or do you have to take their word for it?..:yikes:

Dear Sir ( cyclelover63 )......The only difference between the old Kenda And the New Kenda is ......The original was " CRAPPY ".....The re-placement was " CRAPPIER "......so BRP decided to do you all a favor and go back to the just plain "CRAPPY " version .......:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack ::roflblack:.......and please don't lecture me about .....but it's a Motorcycle Tire / warranty approved tire thing.................Mike :thumbup:

Tx web rider
04-01-2015, 11:17 PM
last time I changed my rear I went to a local tire shop with my rear rim and $10 it was changed with a longer valve stem included

do the labor to remove it and disassemble it and save a lot of cash

The Bee!!
04-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Am having to replace my back tire on my 2014 RT-S. Just wanting to verify the size (can't get to my Spyder yet, as in winter storage). Been reading this tread. Some say 225/50/15 some say 225/60/15. Which one is it? Thanks, Teri

CapNCrunch
04-02-2015, 01:43 PM

I got mine thru AMAZON 2 months ago. $85.00, No questions asked, and free freight, too. Just had it installed by me dealer, Tuesday.
CapNCrunch : =)

STELLING MAN
04-02-2015, 03:24 PM
I just ordered a new Kumho this morning from Discount Tire Direct, $81.00 and free shipping, they said I would have It tomorrow afternoon. I don't really need It yet, but I'll put It away until I do..:yes::clap::p

ruthie
04-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Found my on eBay which came from tire discount.

RS990
04-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone new member here, I ordered a kumho tire from Discount Tire Direct 2 days ago and got a call today saying that they will not send me the tire because it was for a spyder !! I ask him why and he told me that it was not the proper tire for the spyder and some customers had issues with the kumho and i should use only the oem tire. Will be looking elsewhere !

jimcrom
04-04-2015, 10:11 PM
As was stated in another thread 2004 Toyota Tacoma.

Ordered my Kumho on Wednesday and received call on Friday. Picked it up Sat & dropped it off with guy who does the work on it.

Probably should also be said to think about having the bearings replaced at some point. I know that this time when I went to pick it up, the previous dealer had put blue loctite so that was an additional hour of labor for him to get it out.

Hi everyone new member here, I ordered a kumho tire from Discount Tire Direct 2 days ago and got a call today saying that they will not send me the tire because it was for a spyder !! I ask him why and he told me that it was not the proper tire for the spyder and some customers had issues with the kumho and i should use only the oem tire. Will be looking elsewhere !

Gray Ghost
04-04-2015, 10:26 PM

A lot of us have been through that. if you search through some of the older posts you can even find the model and make of a vehicle that uses the same tire. Then you can order one to use as a spare for your vehicle as long as you have someone else mount the tire. That is what I did around Sep of 14, IIRC. I just don't remember what vehicle it was.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-04-2015, 11:34 PM
A lot of us have been through that. if you search through some of the older posts you can even find the model and make of a vehicle that uses the same tire. Then you can order one to use as a spare for your vehicle as long as you have someone else mount the tire. That is what I did around Sep of 14, IIRC. I just don't remember what vehicle it was.

2003 Toyota Tacoma Pick-up...............Mike :thumbup:

RS990
04-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Found a "General Tire Altimax HP" at Canadian Tire for $129.00 tx inc., anyone is running this tire ? The Kumho from DTD come to $151.00 with the exchange so the General is a little cheaper.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104874&stc=1

STELLING MAN
04-06-2015, 09:16 AM
I just got one last week from Discount Tires for $81.00 plus free shipping, one day service..

Highwayman2013
04-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Found a "General Tire Altimax HP" at Canadian Tire for $129.00 tx inc., anyone is running this tire ? The Kumho from DTD come to $151.00 with the exchange so the General is a little

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104874&stc=1I have these on the front of my RT. Good grip.

CapNCrunch
04-06-2015, 10:08 AM
I got mine from AMAZON back in February. No fuss, no questions. It cost $85.00, free shopping. Arrived in 3 days. I'm in Montana. My dealer mounted it last Tuesday. I'll be riding on it when the rain and snow quits. LOL
CapNCrunch : =)

jtpollock
04-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Just last weeh I ordered a tire from Discount had to order because it was out of stock I had no problems except they told me they could not mount the tire thats I have a show that mounted it for me we used ride-on to ballance the tire no problems this is me second Kuhmo rear tire.... good luck :yes::yes: jtpollock